PDA

View Full Version : A story from a sox fan.., to sox fans.

Theanticub
12-03-2005, 01:50 AM
I arrived at my overpriced downtown condo today, and I had a sudden urge to go and visit the tree where my father's ashes were spread. I remember the day the sox won the world series, I placed a world championship flag at the base of the 4 foot tree. I remember thinking at that time, it hadn't set in. The concept that us, the south siders...the team everyone loves to hate, won a world series. With that said, I went back to my father's tree. Looking at the black flag with the world series logo still blowing in the wind, broke me down to tears. Not only because God I wish nothing more than for my Dad to be there when our favorite team won it all, but it was real. My whole life I wanted this to happen (now take it i'm only 24) but ever since I was a little kid I always wondered why we couldn't get there, why we couldn't win ...just one world series.

This time is over now. The anticipation of waiting for our chance to shine....is done. I almost feel like with this weight being lifted.., the sense of anxiety that comes with it has also vanished.

Now sitting back in my overpriced condo, I guess I have a feeling of closure. A feeling that can only come when a realization sets in, and you are no longer in disbelief about an occurance, and I have to admit.....it feels damn good. I guess for the longest time with this championship, I only thought about the bad...the missed...the what nows?.

Well now my realization is that I have met so many incredible sox fans during my years. Some on this board, and many in my real life experiences. I will tell you that looking back nothing brings more joy to my life than to see all of us, the sox fans of America with a championship to call our own, and with the sense of Sox Pride that comes with it.

I guess this was drawn out, and I appreciate whoever read up to this point, but I think our team deserves our support as we have done for so many years. Our team proved to us, that believing in them will not just give you heartache. While they proved that to us, we proved with the 1.7 million people at the parade...that we aren't going anywhere. We will be sox fans until we die, and more importantly we will be proud of them for what they accomplished. I will say this, as my closing....even if the sox do not win again until 2142 (random year), what this championship meant to some people can not be put into words, and I will never forget this year for it has been the happiest of my life. I am glad that this has finally sunk in for me.

Thanks for reading,
adam-theanticub.
p.s. I apologize in advance...I'm not a MLA english major.....so if there are mistakes (which I'm sure there are) please ignore them.

richb2
12-03-2005, 02:25 AM
nice post well done, but God I hope it does not take over a hundred years to win another championship lol

TomBradley72
12-03-2005, 11:24 AM
I has a very similar experience within the last few weeks....attaching my "White Sox World Champions" hat to a wreath on my sister's grave (we lost her this past summer to leukemia)....totally lost it....but your description completely reflected everything going through my head. Don't mean to hijack....thanks for sharing the experience.

To the 2005 White Sox and everything the team and the season meant to us...and will mean to us in the future. :cheers:

tebman
12-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Wonderful story, Adam. Life is meant to be lived, and you're living it.

Be well.

soxruleEP
12-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Just last week a family friend lost her thirty-year-old son (minor operation led to a blood clot that went to his lungs). He was a great kid who lived his whole life with a smile on his face and the family are all massive Sox fans.

At the wake, he was laid out with a Sox pin on his jacket with a world championship hat and world championship pennent beside him in the coffin.

Everybody said, "At least he got to see the Sox win it."

His sister said when the Sox clinched it, she and her brother ran out into the yard and sprayed each other with beer--"Why should the players be the only ones having fun?" she said--and then drank a bottle of champaign.

These stories just show how important the Sox are to so many people. I doubt anyone--including many of us--realized just how important the team is to us.

Martinigirl
12-03-2005, 12:38 PM
That is a beautiful post.

It is strange how randomly the thought, "Oh my god, we won the World Series," will pop in my head. I am the youngest of seven, so my parents have always been older than most (though growing up in Beverly, I was hardly alone in this situation). But in 2004, my father was very ill, and actually coded twice. I never really allow myself to think about how close I came to losing him, at least until the day at the parade. As I watched all these people cheer for the Sox, with unadulterated joy on their faces, I realized my dad almost missed this. And as happy as I was for me, I was more happy for my dad, and my mom, who have waited almost 80 years to see this. They sat in the last row of the upper deck in right field for the 59 series, and their hearts broke when they lost, but they continued to love their Sox. They raised their children to love the team, and disdain all others (even as some of us moved closer to the North side's version of the Gates of Hell).

And there I stood, on LaSalle, between Lake and Wacker, my eyes pouring like facets, because I didn't lose him, and the Sox didn't lose for him. They won. And so did all of us.

I just wonder if the players, manager and management can ever really understand what they gave us and how much it is appreciated. No matter what happens from here, with the amazing future the Sox have, this year will always be the greatest year in baseball to me, and I think most everyone else here.

kevin57
12-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Beautiful stories. I have nothing as touching, but I do still feel a choking up when I see a fellow Sox fan sporting Sox gear and we exchange a "Go Sox!" greeting. There's a happiness, a peacefulness, a comraderie that I've not found anywhere else.

Theanticub
12-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks for all the comments/stories. I appreciate the read...it was kinda long. Personally I love hearing stories about what this team has meant to us, not only this year...but throughout the years.

No need to apologize for hyjacking the thread...I'm not selfish and I love the stories. Keep em comin.

-theanticub

Sox PA
12-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Great Stories and More Tears.

I have shed many tears this season, winning the division, ALDS, ALCS, the World Series, the highlights, the recaps, the parade and the many personal stories that I have read. We knew from the start this team was special and even though at times we were afraid to dream, dream we did. We Sox fans were on a bit of an emotional roller coaster this year and I for one don't mind shedding the tears.

Yes, it still feels great. It feels great to be a proud Sox fan that can hold our heads high wherever we may go. I remember being at the All-Star Game Sox Festival in 2003 at McCormick Place and walking past a Yankee fan wearing a polo shirt with a World Series logo on the chest and thinking, "Wow, it's so easy for them, I wonder if they know how much it would mean to us to ever be able to wear that patch." I was so envious, and so resigned to never be able to have that feeling of pride. My Crede jersey is on order.

I think a great thing about Ozzie, and maybe Kenny, is that he really does get it, how much it means to us and to all the Sox fans that have gone before us. When I invested my heart and soul to the White Sox more than 20 years ago, they got me forever, I know that. Can't wait for Spring Training & Opening Day.

To Sox fans everywhere, even the new ones, Cheers!

Theanticub
12-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Great Stories and More Tears.

I have shed many tears this season, winning the division, ALDS, ALCS, the World Series, the highlights, the recaps, the parade and the many personal stories that I have read. We knew from the start this team was special and even though at times we were afraid to dream, dream we did. We Sox fans were on a bit of an emotional roller coaster this year and I for one don't mind shedding the tears.

Yes, it still feels great. It feels great to be a proud Sox fan that can hold our heads high wherever we may go. I remember being at the All-Star Game Sox Festival in 2003 at McCormick Place and walking past a Yankee fan wearing a polo shirt with a World Series logo on the chest and thinking, "Wow, it's so easy for them, I wonder if they know how much it would mean to us to ever be able to wear that patch." I was so envious, and so resigned to never be able to have that feeling of pride. My Crede jersey is on order.

I think a great thing about Ozzie, and maybe Kenny, is that he really does get it, how much it means to us and to all the Sox fans that have gone before us. When I invested my heart and soul to the White Sox more than 20 years ago, they got me forever, I know that. Can't wait for Spring Training & Opening Day.

To Sox fans everywhere, even the new ones, Cheers!

Regarding the parade, I took my little sister (who became a sox fan at the age of 4 when I was cheering/taking her to games) and I will never forget the smile on her face when we got close enough to the stage to:
A. Hear Hawk and the players/coaches
B. See some of her favorite players.

She is 16 now, and she wrote a paper for school about the best time of her life. She wrote it on the parade..and all the celebrate us 1.7 million people were doing during it.

antitwins13
12-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Great stories! (You inspired my screen name!)

Vernam
12-03-2005, 02:40 PM
What a great post, and the replies, too. Maybe I'm going soft, but the championship has made me feel sympathy for the Cub fans who are approaching their twilight years without ever seeing a World Series. The rivalry should be a fun thing, and I get a kick out of seeing my kids razz their friends who root for the Cubs. But it gets out of hand when they won't be friends with anyone who isn't a Sox fan. That's not what it should be about, though I'm afraid that's where the rivalry ends up when taken to extremes.

Especially knowing how much 2005 meant to us, I hope Sox fans will cut the other guys a little slack. I won't enjoy the championship any less for resisting the temptation to rub it in. Let's face it, only a pathetic person would root for someone else to go to their graves without seeing their team just once. That's not what being a fan of the Sox is about.

So rather than bash Cub fans -- and while I'd never exactly root for them to win it all -- I'm at least no longer rooting so hard for them to fail. For now, anyway! And of course, that doesn't mean I won't push back hard when someone bashes the Sox. That just isn't happening much at the moment! Things will change again, no doubt . . .

Vernam

chi_guy
12-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Just last week a family friend lost her thirty-year-old son (minor operation led to a blood clot that went to his lungs). He was a great kid who lived his whole life with a smile on his face and the family are all massive Sox fans.
I think I read this in the paper. Worked with Kevin Matthews, right? I was very sad when I read this. Sorry for the loss.

chi_guy
12-04-2005, 01:09 AM
I took my son and his friend to the parade. My wife and I said we would never pull our kid out of school for any reason but I figured this was history. I thought we would get there early enough but by the time we got there the closest we got to the street was about 50 feet. Unfortunately my son had too much to drink on the train and we lost our spot when we had to find the bathroom. My son did get some pretty good pictures when he was on my shoulders of the passing buses.

soxinem1
12-04-2005, 09:21 AM
I remember in 2K I was heading for a separation and then I lost my job, so the season really helped pacify things. Other than having kids (or something of that nature) the pride and joy we feel when our favorite team have a magical season like this is enough to help us heal, laugh, cry tears of joy, and pinch ourselves in disbelief.

I guess all of us should realize how fortunate we are to be a part of something so special, and have the opportunity to share it will equally special people too.

soxrme
12-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Great story, I still love to say World Champion Chicago White Sox. My dad and grandfather are smiling in heaven right now I just know it. I cannot wait for spring training, going to get tickets to the March 18th game with the cubs. When they run out onto the field I am just going to stand up and keep screaming "World Champs".