PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap is the market ridiculous

Flight #24
12-03-2005, 12:45 AM
The Dodgers have offered Rafael Furcal a three-year contract worth close to $40 million, a source with knowledge of the negotiations told the Los Angeles Times.
And Paul DePodesta's contracts were crazy? Furcal has never even had an 800 OPS, and his best OBP the last five years is .352. He's had one year with more than 103 runs scored. If this is for real, Furcal could take it and still get another big contract at age 31. It's currently believed the Cubs are at $50 million for five years and the Braves have a four-year, $36 million offer on the table. Furcal's agent, Paul Kinzer, said Friday that his client won't make a decision "for a couple of more days." Dec. 3 - 12:13 am et
Source: Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-dodgers3dec03,0,3543548.story?coll=la-home-sports)

:thud:
OK, I know there's value in a shorter term contract, but would anyone EVER have thought that Rafeal Furcal would be making more money than Paul Konerko? Or making IIRC the same money as Gary Sheffield and in the ballpark of Carlos Delgado?

mike squires
12-03-2005, 12:48 AM
I thought after the AROD deal and how the Rangers wanted to deal him and all these other big money guys that ranges would come down a bit. It just gets more and more outragous.

At least I'll continue getting my 3% annual increase!!!!:angry:

beckett21
12-03-2005, 12:49 AM
Unreal.

*shakes head*

knocko94
12-03-2005, 12:54 AM
I read in SI last week or so that ther is a bunch of extra money floating around from different revenue sources this off-season.

Looking up the article, here's the pertinent info

Clubs would be enriched by three streams of new or improved revenue: Each would get nearly $2 million from satellite radio rights (MLB signed an eight-year deal with XM in October 2004) and as much as $10.5 million from growing Internet and MLB.com revenues. The expected sale of the Washington Nationals for $450 million would also mean a return of about $11 million per team on MLB's $120 million purchase of the Montreal Expos nearly four years ago.

http://premium.si.cnn.com/pr/subs2/siexclusive/2005/pr/subs/siexclusive/11/29/scorecard1205/index.html
(You need to subscribe to the mag to read it, just enter your name/address. I used my dad's:cool: )

tschneid83
12-03-2005, 01:03 AM
Looks like I need to start hitting the batting cages. Someone would prolly pick me up and give me the league minimum..... which I could deal with!!

itsnotrequired
12-03-2005, 01:08 AM
Some of my Cub friends are all honked off about this offer. Looks like the 5 yr/$50 million deal from the Cubs won't be good enough. Sure, Furcal would get the safety-net of a 5 year contract but the Dodger offer would allow him to be a free agent at age what, 29?

beckett21
12-03-2005, 01:08 AM
Looks like I need to start hitting the batting cages. Someone would prolly pick me up and give me the league minimum..... which I could deal with!!

I hear the Marlins are having open tryouts.

Not sure if that should be in teal or not. :?: :(:

Banix12
12-03-2005, 01:09 AM
I think we all knew the market would be crazy this offseason because of the relative absense of a lot of big names. But yeah, that is one of the more bizzare suggestions I have ever seen.

Wonder if the Cubs feel like matching?

JB98
12-03-2005, 01:43 AM
That contract offer is ridiculous, but hey, I'm in favor of anything that screws the Lovable Losers. Furcal to the Dodgers, Pierre to the Yankees, and another season of Corey Patterson hitting leadoff for the Cubs. :D:

voodoochile
12-03-2005, 06:50 AM
Well, the Angels bumped up the market a few years ago and that forced the Dodgers to get serious. Then the Orioles and Blue Jays decided to go after the ALE title and to do that, they had to spend. The NLE became a hotly contended division and that forced all of those teams to spend more money and of finally (and of course) the Sox have had a great run these past few years which has allowed them to nearly double their payroll since 2002. This is on top of the usual big spenders (NYY, NYM, BOS, TEX, flubbies, Braves) all of whom have solid revenue streams for different reasons.

So there are a lot more teams viaing for elite player services and a lot more money on the market than there used to be. It's going to get worse before it gets better and it will minimize the effects of the Sox increase unless they continue to grow revenues these next few years. They signed a bunch of long term deals at the right time and picked the right players. Iguchi is probably a $7-9M/year player for his production and position. Garcia, Buehrle, Contreras and Garland are all underpaid by market standards. Now is the window, it's not going to last forever.

kevin57
12-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Poor FA Class. Lots of teams desperate to improve. I think the Cubs can and will match offer. Their payroll next year--already one of the higher ones in baseball--could start reaching Yankee proportions. :o:

If they don't win at least a pennant next year (which IMHO they won't even with every acquisition they're after), their fans are going to be p***** to high heavens! :D: