PDA

View Full Version : Politte & Blum Autograph Show Saturday

shbart
12-03-2005, 12:26 AM
My wife was on her way home from work the other night and said that she saw some card store that was having a signing with Sox players . Being a Northsider I just figured she was high (j/k honey...:redface: ). Anyhow, I see a little blurb in the Sun-Times today by the "On The Air" list and low and behold, Politte and Blum will be at a place called Schwartz Sports in Northbrook Saturday from 1-3 p.m.. Kind of wild with Blum scheduled to be there even after he's left the team. Do you think his hair has gotten any bigger since the Series?!

p.s.- I have no affiliation with the card store people, but thought this might be of interest since I didn't see it posted anywhere.
p.p.s.-Btw if I go, I'm debating if I would have Blum sign my WS DVD...would u?

mike squires
12-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Yeah, why not. I would for sure get something that is world series merchandise signed.

Another idea might be to get as many of the 05 team on an official major league ball as you can. I did that for the 83 team and got 17 players to sign my old Comiskey seat along with a ball. You would allready be getting one that is no longer with the team so you'd have him out of the way!!! Just a thought.:smile:

BeefyD
12-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Here's Schwartz's public schedule and prices:

WHITE SOX - Public Appearances

Geoff Blum $29 - Cliff Politte $29
Dec. 3rd 1-3pm @ Schwartz Sports

Dec. 5th @ Schwartz Sports
Brian Anderson 5:30-6:30pm $29 - Brandon McCarthy 6-7pm $29

Thursday Dec. 8th - Don Cooper (Pitching Coach) $29
5:30-6:30pm @ Schwartz Sports
JUST ADDED Luis Vizcaino 4-5pm

AJ Pierzynski $59 - Neal Cotts $29 - Chris Widger $29
1pm Dec. 10th @ Deerfield Hyatt, 1750 Lake Cook Rd.

Oh, and add $10-15 if you want Inscriptions (i.e, "To BeefyD", "2005 Sox", etc.)

BeefyD
12-03-2005, 12:51 AM
Another note on the personal opinion side, if you're gonna pay for anyone, pay for Blum... he's gone. Then, just go throughout the year. Almost everyone, outside of Konerko and Frank, had free signings throughout the year at appearances... Then get Konerko and Frank at SoxFest. :smile:

Rowand would be the tough one if you haven't already started a team signed piece...

BV2005
12-03-2005, 12:54 AM
Isn't Rowand going to be at the Bears game on Sunday, maybe you'll get lucky and he'll sign a few, but that also means he'll be in town this weekend.

shbart
12-03-2005, 01:03 AM
I know very little about signings and memorobilia shows... how do u come up with $29?...just a weird number to me. Btw, I'm bummed. Anderson and McCarthy are there Monday, same night as the Arie Crown "Sox Pride" premiere. Maybe they're going after signing and they could give me a ride??
I do remember rookie cards being a big deal and with those 2 guys it would be cool to have those signatures to see if they'd have worth down the line (besides the obvious sentimental value).

Soxfan35
12-03-2005, 11:17 AM
I think there are a couple locations, does anyone know which store its at/

salty99
12-03-2005, 11:50 AM
I think today's is at the location on Waukegan Road. I called them and they said they don't expect a big crowd today. Probably because $29 bucks is a little highly priced. Also for next Saturday they have added Bobby Jenks for $49.

Soxfan35
12-03-2005, 11:52 AM
My mom lives out that ways, so I might have to check it out, $29 is a bit steep but Blum did hit a HR in extra innings of the World Series, so I think I might be able to afford it.

soxfanreggie
12-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Neal Cotts autographs, 4 pm, Redbird Arena, $5---all proceeds go to special olympics. he will personalize them free of charge!

ewokpelts
12-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Neal Cotts autographs, 4 pm, Redbird Arena, $5---all proceeds go to special olympics. he will personalize them free of charge!and WHERE is the redbird arena?

TheKittle
12-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Yeah, why not. I would for sure get something that is world series merchandise signed.

Another idea might be to get as many of the 05 team on an official major league ball as you can. I did that for the 83 team and got 17 players to sign my old Comiskey seat along with a ball. You would allready be getting one that is no longer with the team so you'd have him out of the way!!! Just a thought.:smile:

What players are you missing from the 83 team?

Dan Mega
12-03-2005, 04:48 PM
I can't go and get yet another Politte autograph, oh well, I already have 2 :D:

DumpJerry
12-03-2005, 04:55 PM
and WHERE is the redbird arena?
I think that would be Illinois State, they are the Cardinals, Cotts went to school there and the poster is from there.

But, I could be wrong.

SAVVY18
12-03-2005, 04:57 PM
There are a bunch of White Sox player signings coming up in the next week. I believe all of them have some type of fee for the autograph. For a good list of signings in the area go to the following site:

http://www.csac.biz/

It lists players from all sports. Some are free, some cost $$. The only catch is you can only see events that are happening in the next 7 days, unless you subscribe to the site. Then you get the whole calendar right away.

CubsfansareDRUNK
12-03-2005, 05:30 PM
12/10 Bobby Jenks! :o:

whats an inscription?

salty99
12-03-2005, 06:15 PM
An inscription is something like "2005 WS Champs"

There were about 250 people for Blum and 150 for Politte. A good crowd.

JGarlandrules20
12-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Duuude. I went! It was kinda pricy but that was expected. I got Cliff's autograph and an inscription and I got Geoffs autograph.

I actually talked, too! Which was exciting. Because I usually freeze up when I meet players.

I told Geoff I was sad he was going back to San Diego but that I'd be rooting for the Padres to win the NL West.

And I told Cliff I -loved- his hit/baserunning skill display in Colorado and he was all "Not that many people remember that."

And I posed for pictures. Which is the best.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/sully559/geoffcliff.jpg
Geoff and Cliff..minus me.

ilsox7
12-03-2005, 06:57 PM
An inscription is something like "2005 WS Champs"

There were about 250 people for Blum and 150 for Politte. A good crowd.

Wow. It surprises, actually baffles me, that people would wait in line and pay for these autographs.

JGarlandrules20
12-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Wow. It surprises, actually baffles me, that people would wait in line and pay for these autographs.

I was #98 for Cliff and #157 for Geoff and it went by super quick.

ilsox7
12-03-2005, 07:04 PM
I was #98 for Cliff and #157 for Geoff and it went by super quick.

I guess I was just never inclined to get autographs, except for when I was real young. Or if it was Mickey Mantle or Ted Williams or something. I think it'd be cool to shake their hands, have a beer and talk about the season, but beyond that they're just normal guys to me.

soxfanreggie
12-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Neal Cotts signed for an hour, $5 a pop...probably signed 500-1000 autos. Illinois State is the Redbirds (not cardinals...pm me if you want the long story why) and the next number retired at ISU will likely be Neal Cotts if he has some more success. The only other World Champion's number that we have retired was Dave Bergman, but he had more success in college than Neal.

Martinigirl
12-03-2005, 09:52 PM
I am confused, or maybe I just don't want to understand this, but is the cost per each item signed? So if I wanted 2 things signed by AJ, it would be $138?

BeefyD
12-03-2005, 10:23 PM
I am confused, or maybe I just don't want to understand this, but is the cost per each item signed? So if I wanted 2 things signed by AJ, it would be $138?

Yep!

WCCMIKE
12-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Can someone explain to me why places charge so much for autographs.

SAVVY18
12-04-2005, 12:51 AM
Because people will pay the money! That and the players aren't doing it for free, so both the player and the place have to make $$. Also it discourages the autograph whores who get them for free and within hours have them for sale on ebay.

mike squires
12-04-2005, 12:59 AM
What players are you missing from the 83 team?

Here is a list that I have...

Kittle
Baines
Law
Law
Paciorek
Lamp
Hoyt
Squires
Burns
Dybzinski
Dotson
Bannister
Hickey
Luzinski
Walker
Fletcher

Those off the top of my head that I need are Fisk, Koosman, Tidrow, Barojas, Hulet, Hairston and Stegman.

Lorenzo and Jim Kern don't count! :D:

Kooz walked right on by without even so much of a nod.
I figure I'll add Fisk to it someday!
Could hve had Cruz but for some reason didn't recognize him!:angry:

StillMissOzzie
12-04-2005, 01:01 AM

Yep!

No, my arithmetically challenged friends - 2 x $59 = $118. :tongue:
Still highway robbery, and I'll still have to get one.

SMO

mike squires
12-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Here's Schwartz's public schedule and prices:

WHITE SOX - Public Appearances

Geoff Blum $29 - Cliff Politte $29
Dec. 3rd 1-3pm @ Schwartz Sports

Dec. 5th @ Schwartz Sports
Brian Anderson 5:30-6:30pm $29 - Brandon McCarthy 6-7pm $29

Thursday Dec. 8th - Don Cooper (Pitching Coach) $29
5:30-6:30pm @ Schwartz Sports
JUST ADDED Luis Vizcaino 4-5pm

AJ Pierzynski $59 - Neal Cotts $29 - Chris Widger $29
1pm Dec. 10th @ Deerfield Hyatt, 1750 Lake Cook Rd.

Oh, and add $10-15 if you want Inscriptions (i.e, "To BeefyD", "2005 Sox", etc.)

Those prices are ridiculous. I realize they just won the championship and all but come on...Don Cooper $29, Widger 29$!!!??? They should have had one fee to get them all. I'll bet ya poor coop didn't have anyone in his line. I could get everyone of those guys before the season is over next season. It's a rip off.

BainesHOF
12-04-2005, 01:44 AM
Actually these prices are pretty reasonable considering the Sox just won the World Series, though I do agree it's a bit much for a pitching coach. Contreras was $100 and Crede $79 a pop at the Sun-Times memorabilia show in Rosemont last week. Dye is $99 in Schaumburg on Wednesday.

These prices are too much if you're just getting them to sign a program or something, but it's worth it to collectors who get nicer items signed to be displayed such as a ball, bat or a big picture. Even if you are able to get them free at the park, it's still worth it to some collectors to pay to have them sign in such an atmosphere. At a paid signing, you often get a much nicer signature and you don't have to worry about trashing your item of choice. Plus the relatively small lines at Schwartz Sports will pale in comparison to the ones at Soxfest.

I say to each his or her own. Whatever makes you happy. I was thrilled to get Blum to sign a team ball (all I need is Vizcaino now) and a 16x20 photo of him jacking his Game 3 homer. I'm going to frame it with a couple other smaller photos of that great moment. I'm doing the same for Podsednik as I already got him to sign THE photo of him making contact with the ball for his game-winning homer. Now all I have to do is get Konerko to sign a shot of his grand slam and I'll have autographed displays of the three biggest home runs in Sox history. As a collector, that's tough to beat.

StillMissOzzie
12-04-2005, 01:59 AM
Actually these prices are pretty reasonable considering the Sox just won the World Series, though I do agree it's a bit much for a pitching coach. Contreras was $100 and Crede $79 a pop at the Sun-Times memorabilia show in Rosemont last week. Dye is $99 in Schaumburg on Wednesday.

It's called striking while the iron is hot, free enterprise, and whatever the market will bear. I agree that Cooper was a bit much as pitching coach, and they had the same $29 price tag for McCarthy and Anderson, who weren't even on the post-season roster. I passed on those two as well.

And from my own POV, I'd rather get the autograph myself rather than just buy an autographed item, even if it's available for less $. There's always that nagging doubt of authenticity, but half the enjoyment I get from collecting the autograph is in collecting the autograph in person, just so I can say thanks for the best season I have ever seen, coongratulations, etc.

That sounds like a mighty fine autographed HR photo collection, Bainsy, I wish I had room for something like that - 3 @ 16" x 20" WOW!

SMO
:gulp:

BainesHOF
12-04-2005, 03:11 AM
That sounds like a mighty fine autographed HR photo collection, Bainsy, I wish I had room for something like that - 3 @ 16" x 20" WOW!

LOL! Yeah, and there's going to be at least two 8x10s framed with each one. I'm turning my dining area off my kitchen into Sox Central. My second bedroom/Sox museum is already full.

I have no idea what I'm going to do if they win it all again in 2006!

BeefyD
12-04-2005, 10:27 AM
No, my arithmetically challenged friends - 2 x $59 = $118. :tongue:
Still highway robbery, and I'll still have to get one.

SMO

Um, yes, but your fuzzy math did not include a $10 per piece inscription charge, which would then bring it to $138. I knew the differential equations class I had to take to get my master's degree would come in handy someday.

I've got my #12 jersey just BEGGING to have his sig on it, but jeez, I just can't pay that much for it.

BeefyD
12-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Now all I have to do is get Konerko to sign a shot of his grand slam and I'll have autographed displays of the three biggest home runs in Sox history. As a collector, that's tough to beat.

I love the impact that 16x20's have, but they just take up too much room! :D:
I've already got too many 8x10's (among the 3 jerseys, bats, balls, etc.)

As for Konerko, whichever day he is signing, I would get there at 8:00 in the morning and sit in his line all day. I got him there 2 years ago and it was a four hour wait (the line had already filled up with four hours to go before he started).
Got him to sign a nice Rawlings black bat in silver marker. Looks sweet next to the Thomas gamer (also black).

Brian26
12-04-2005, 11:48 AM
LOL! Yeah, and there's going to be at least two 8x10s framed with each one. I'm turning my dining area off my kitchen into Sox Central. My second bedroom/Sox museum is already full.

I have no idea what I'm going to do if they win it all again in 2006!

You must post some pics sometime. I think we'd love to see your Sox setup.

soxfanreggie
12-04-2005, 01:03 PM
I think some people like Cotts, Jenks, etc. could make more off of autos than they did in salary. I wonder how much they get. I had a discussion with a fellow Sox fan, and he said they probably get an appearance fee of say...$10,000 guaranteed and then a percentage of each autograph over a certain amount. I said they probably got a percentage of each auto but how high? My reasoning for why they were so expensive...how many of the autos will end up on e-bay? The personalized ones and the ones for true Sox fans will be treasured prize possessions...but those that get them just to sell them on e-bay...:angry: ...likely makes it more expensive for the rest of us. I know it's their right to do so, but I can still be mad about it.

BainesHOF
12-04-2005, 02:05 PM
You must post some pics sometime. I think we'd love to see your Sox setup.

Once I get my setup finalized I'll be happy to host some visitors. I'm thinking it's still going to be a few months.

ewokpelts
12-04-2005, 02:10 PM
I think some people like Cotts, Jenks, etc. could make more off of autos than they did in salary. I wonder how much they get. I had a discussion with a fellow Sox fan, and he said they probably get an appearance fee of say...$10,000 guaranteed and then a percentage of each autograph over a certain amount. I said they probably got a percentage of each auto but how high? My reasoning for why they were so expensive...how many of the autos will end up on e-bay? The personalized ones and the ones for true Sox fans will be treasured prize possessions...but those that get them just to sell them on e-bay...:angry: ...likely makes it more expensive for the rest of us. I know it's their right to do so, but I can still be mad about it.
Ozzie's 6k if arranged through his agent/business manager.
Usually a player's rep gurantees a certain number of autos, say 100-500 over a 1 or 2 hour stretch.
The house is probably getting extra items signed before or after the "public" portion of the event.
The "cost" for a fan is probably douple or triple what the house is being charged per auto.

Gene