PDA

View Full Version : Couple of White Sox prospects mentioned for Rule V draft (BA)

rdivaldi
12-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Thomas Collaro, of, White Sox
Power bat with some holes in his swing, Collaro hit 29 homers in high Class A

Corwin Malone, lhp, White Sox
Another veteran of Tommy John surgery, Malone returned to Double-A this year but still had trouble throwing strikes

I don't think anyone will take a chance on either of these guys. Corwin has good upside, but I don't think he'd be able to stick on a major league roster this year. His control just isn't there yet.

delben91
12-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Aren't there several levels to the Rule V draft? I'm admittedly very much uneducated on the process, but I seem to have the impression that it would be possible to draft someone in a later round of the Rule V draft and only have to keep them one level higher in the minors than they had been drafted from. I.E. a team taking Malone would only have to keep him in AAA.

Is any of this the slightest bit accurate, or have I been hitting it too hard again? :gulp:

A. Cavatica
12-04-2005, 02:16 PM
There are, and I don't know the ins and outs either. Also, I know that sometimes a team can hide a draftee on the DL for much of the season. That would seem to be more likely for Malone.

chaerulez
12-04-2005, 04:12 PM
I know if you get picked on the rule V draft, you have to remain on the 25 or 40 man roster for the whole year... which one is it? I'm guessing it's 40 but I could be wrong.

Daver
12-04-2005, 04:24 PM
I know if you get picked on the rule V draft, you have to remain on the 25 or 40 man roster for the whole year... which one is it? I'm guessing it's 40 but I could be wrong.

25 unless the player is on the DL.

Frater Perdurabo
12-04-2005, 06:53 PM
25 unless the player is on the DL.

Daver, I have a question about the DL in the MLB.

Can teams "hide" players by keeping them on the DL with phantom injuries like "ankle sprain," "tendinitis" or hangnails, as NBA teams sometimes do? Put another way, does the MLB have to approve a team placing a player on the DL? Do teams have to submit paperwork, X-Rays, independent diagnosis, etc. to get a player on the DL?

Daver
12-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Daver, I have a question about the DL in the MLB.

Can teams "hide" players by keeping them on the DL with phantom injuries like "ankle sprain," "tendinitis" or hangnails, as NBA teams sometimes do? Put another way, does the MLB have to approve a team placing a player on the DL? Do teams have to submit paperwork, X-Rays, independent diagnosis, etc. to get a player on the DL?

No.

But if a rule 5 draftee is placed on anything longer than the 15 day DL, the team he was drafted from can ask for details of the injury. This is almost never done, because the team that lost the player didn't protect him for a reason, and they would rather keep the drafting fee than re-acquire the player. The Sox drafted a rule 5 player two years ago, the name escapes me at the moment, and he did not make the roster out of ST, but was not returned to the team he was drafted from, because that team chose to keep the cash.

santo=dorf
12-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Jason Grilli? (Marlins)

Daver
12-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Jason Grilli? (Marlins)

That's him.

Thanx.

buehrle4cy05
12-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Kinda off-topic, but didn't Johan Santana end up with the Twins VIA the rule 5 draft? Wasn't he with Houston to start his career?

santo=dorf
12-04-2005, 11:21 PM
Kinda off-topic, but didn't Johan Santana end up with the Twins VIA the rule 5 draft? Wasn't he with Houston to start his career?

Florida snatched him from Houston and then traded him to the Twins for Jared Camp (yes, that Jared Camp!)

mjmcend
12-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Here is another guy mentioned as a possibility by Rotoworld:

"Fabio Castro - LHP White Sox - Age 21 - 15 percent
This Fabio is a 5-foot-8, 157-pound left-handed reliever from the Dominican Republic. 58 hits allowed, 37 walks and 75 strikeouts in 79 innings for Single-A Winston Salem last season."

The percentage is the author's odds of being selected in the draft.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.asp?sport=MLB&column=14

rdivaldi
12-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Here's a blast from the past on that list...

Anthony Webster - OF Rangers - Age 22 - 15 percent
Unpicked after hitting .287/.363/.439 for Single-A Stockton a year ago. Returned to California League and hit .301/.346/.484 with 25 SB. He can handle center, so maybe he'll get selected this year.

Fungo
12-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned, I did a search and didn't see anything & not really Rule V related, but a couple players we lost...

Pillaging the champs

BALTIMORE--If the Orioles can't win a World Series, they can at least raid the champion's farm system.

Always looking to add more power, a scarce commodity within their organization, the Orioles signed first baseman Leo Daigle and outfielder Noah Hall from the White Sox, who recently swept the Astros in the World Series.

Daigle spent most of the 2005 season with Class A Winston-Salem. He won the Carolina League's triple crown by hitting .341-29-112 in 108 games for the Warthogs.

Full article here...
http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/minors/aleast051122.html

maurice
12-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Daigle and Hall are career minor-leaguers.

JorgeFabregas
12-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Here is another guy mentioned as a possibility by Rotoworld:

"Fabio Castro - LHP White Sox - Age 21 - 15 percent
This Fabio is a 5-foot-8, 157-pound left-handed reliever from the Dominican Republic. 58 hits allowed, 37 walks and 75 strikeouts in 79 innings for Single-A Winston Salem last season."

The percentage is the author's odds of being selected in the draft.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.asp?sport=MLB&column=14

Oops, that percentage seems a bit off.

kwolf68
12-09-2005, 12:54 PM
I am not concerned about Castro. We replaced Castro with Day anyway with one of our Rule5 selections. Day is a lefty that throws in the 90s, but is probably just a roster filler at this point. He throws hard, is lefty...so I like the org taking a shot at him considering we now are down 3 lefties in our minors (Dani, Gio, Fabio)

Hummel, at best, is a utility player in the majors. I'm guessing we got him for depth in the infield in Charlotte or a possible callup if we need a utility guy with some major league experience.

Cole Armstrong intrigues me. The Braves already have 2 top catching prospects (including one superstar prospect). I did tons of research on Armstrong and it looks like he's a quality hitter, but I don't know if he's that great behind the plate.

He did rank out as one of the Braves Top 20 prospects prior to 2004.

He could project to 1st base depending on how he develops behind the plate. Still young (21) and probably will be tried at catcher to see if he can rise through the ranks. Sox have nothing at catcher right now and I am glad at least we brought in another catcher to at least try out and see where it goes.