PDA

View Full Version : Graffanino gets 2 year deal...

Kilroy
12-20-2001, 02:44 PM
CHICAGO - The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on a two-year contract with infielder Tony Graffanino. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed by the club.

Graffanino, 29, batted .303 (44-145) with two home runs and 15 RBI in 74 games with the White Sox last season. He appeared in 38 games at third base, 19 at second base, four at shortstop, three in the outfield and one at first base.

In 414 games over six major-league seasons with Atlanta (1996-98), Tampa Bay (1999-2000) and the White Sox (2000-01), Graffanino has hit .257 (248-964) with 19 home runs and 95 RBI. He is a .287 (84-293) hitter in two seasons with the Sox.

czalgosz
12-20-2001, 02:46 PM
That's a great move - Graffanino's a good ballplayer and he's been nothing but an asset since joining the club.

FarmerAndy
12-20-2001, 02:52 PM
That's great news. I can't think of a better utility infielder to have on our bench. He can play all of the positions and he's always ready to play, even if he's been on the bench for weeks.

ihatethecubs
12-20-2001, 03:12 PM
Hell yeah Tony G. for 2 more!

Chisox_cali
12-20-2001, 03:31 PM
Good for Graffy! Clutch
:graff :gulp:

Soxheads
12-20-2001, 03:54 PM
Good, Graffy is a first class guy.

Foulke You
12-20-2001, 03:57 PM
Great backup guy to have. Smart move.

kermittheefrog
12-20-2001, 04:02 PM
Why can't they find some more PT for Tony. All the guy has done is post OBPs of .364, .363 and .370 the last three years.

czalgosz
12-20-2001, 04:22 PM
:ray

Because I'm an all-star!

:hitless

Thank god he can't play short...

Daver
12-20-2001, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
:ray

Because I'm an all-star!

:hitless

Thank god he can't play short...

He can play all the infeild positions,that is why he is a valuable guy to keep.

czalgosz
12-20-2001, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by daver

He can play all the infeild positions,that is why he is a valuable guy to keep.

Yes, but everyone knows that Graffanino is a below-average shortstop. Not to rip on his abilities - he's good at second and at third, and he's a heck of a hitter, but he's not good at short.

Daver
12-20-2001, 09:00 PM

Yes, but everyone knows that Graffanino is a below-average shortstop. Not to rip on his abilities - he's good at second and at third, and he's a heck of a hitter, but he's not good at short.

When considering all the options I would take him over Royce.

Jose should be the starting SS though.

kermittheefrog
12-20-2001, 09:22 PM

When considering all the options I would take him over Royce.

Jose should be the starting SS though.

I'm with you Daver, I wondered for a while last year why T-Graff didn't get any play at short.

czalgosz
12-20-2001, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I'm with you Daver, I wondered for a while last year why T-Graff didn't get any play at short.

I wanted Graffanino in the lineup any way possible - he should have been playing a lot more than he did. Personally, I thought he should have been at third more often.

The problem with giving Graffanino a starting job is that it doesn't take advantage of his versatility. The guy can pinch-run, he can pinch-hit, he can play several positions, and most importantly, he can sit on the bench for days and then come off and play like he was never on the bench. That skill is too rare to not be taken advantage of. Unfortunately, it prevented him from getting the PT he deserved. Kind of ironic, huh?

WinningUgly!
12-20-2001, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
That's great news. I can't think of a better utility infielder to have on our bench. He can play all of the positions and he's always ready to play, even if he's been on the bench for weeks.

Hopefully somebody explained to him how a force-out works. :D:

kermittheefrog
12-20-2001, 09:38 PM

I wanted Graffanino in the lineup any way possible - he should have been playing a lot more than he did. Personally, I thought he should have been at third more often.

The problem with giving Graffanino a starting job is that it doesn't take advantage of his versatility. The guy can pinch-run, he can pinch-hit, he can play several positions, and most importantly, he can sit on the bench for days and then come off and play like he was never on the bench. That skill is too rare to not be taken advantage of. Unfortunately, it prevented him from getting the PT he deserved. Kind of ironic, huh?

It's not like they are taking advantage of anything he does when he plays just 74 games and gets 145 ABs.

czalgosz
12-20-2001, 09:44 PM

It's not like they are taking advantage of anything he does when he plays just 74 games and gets 145 ABs.

No, you're right. That's about what he got in 2000, too, and in 2000 we had better options in the infield. He should have gotten at least 200-220 PAs. Just MHO...

Daver
12-20-2001, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Hopefully somebody explained to him how a force-out works.

You can blame most of the baserunning problems on Gary Pettis.

kermittheefrog
12-20-2001, 10:06 PM

I already did :smile: wrote a whole column about it.

WinningUgly!
12-20-2001, 10:15 PM

I meant in the game vs. the sCrUBS when he stepped on the bag instead of making the tag, which cost us the game. I like Tony, he just had a brain fart that day. :D:

kermittheefrog
12-20-2001, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

I meant in the game vs. the sCrUBS when he stepped on the bag instead of making the tag, which cost us the game. I like Tony, he just had a brain fart that day. :D:

Maybe he was thinking about the foxy boxing he had watched the night before.

WinningUgly!
12-20-2001, 10:30 PM

Maybe he was thinking about the foxy boxing he had watched the night before.

Could be.

RichH55
12-22-2001, 07:37 AM
:gulp: Here's to you Graffy!

And I think this is just another signal that another OF has to be moved before ST as I think Liefer makes this ballclub as well