PDA

View Full Version : My Sox bet pays off

buehrle4cy05
12-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Back in October, I saw Oak Park-River Forest head Varsity baseball coach Chris Ledbetter at a football game. The game was getting out of hand (was 35-0 DGN at the half), so I decide to go over to the sidelines and talk to Ledbetter. He's a huge Cubs fan, and this was three days before game one of the ALDS. He started telling me how the Sox have no chance and will go out like they did in 2000. I finally asked him if he wanted to make a bet. The bet was that if the Sox didn't win the World Series, I would have to write something negative on the Sox in my school paper, where I have a sports column. Confident, I knew I wouldn't have to write anything negative about the Sox. The other half of the bet was if the Sox won the World Series, Ledbetter had to shave his head. Word got around school, and after the Sox won it all, somebody hung a razor and a bottle of shaving cream on his office door. He was an extra in a movie that was filming during early November, and I didn't want to be so cruel to have his head shaved before Thanksgiving. So the solution was to have his head get shaved at a Spirit Assembly-basically a schoolwide pep rally. So today at the assembly, we wheeled a chair out and he got his head shaved while Steam was playing in the background. I made the first cut, and somebody else finished it. He put on a Prior jersey, and we draped him in a Sox flag. I was wearing my Buehrle jersey with my WS Champs hat. After it, I got interviewed by the school news station and I may be mentioned in an upcoming local newspaper article.

:)

StockdaleForVeep
12-02-2005, 11:45 PM
i got 400 from vegas off a 25 dollar bet in vegas

bet them to win the al division on st pats day

Shafe72
12-03-2005, 01:02 AM
Oak Park-River Forest head Varsity baseball coach Chris Ledbetter

Is this the guy who replaced the really old dude who used to coach the OPRF baseball team? If so, I played against his predecessor in high school (I went to Evanston). He was a class act, won roughly a zillion games over his lengthy career, and knew baseball at all levels inside and out.

Tell Ledbetter to take notes from his predecessor, who never would have made ignorant comments based on allegiance to a certain northside team, nor would he have made a stupid bet like that.

Soxfan35
12-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Every year I make a bunch of sox cubs bets for the year with some friend, I obviously cleaned up this season. Here's a list of bets I had:
1) Garland would win at least 15
2) Sox would win the division and the cubs wouldn't
3)Buehrle Garcia would have more wins than Wood and Prior
4) Uribe would hit better than nomar
5) Ozzie would get more votes for mgr of the year than dusty

Not a bad season for betting

Law11
12-03-2005, 11:28 AM
I scored $820.00 on a $20 bet at 40-1 on the Sox to win it. Iplaced it last February at the MGM in vega$....

half of the winnings basically went towards all the WS stuff ive bought.

Steelrod
12-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Every year I make a bunch of sox cubs bets for the year with some friend, I obviously cleaned up this season. Here's a list of bets I had:
1) Garland would win at least 15
2) Sox would win the division and the cubs wouldn't
4) Uribe would hit better than nomar
5) Ozzie would get more votes for mgr of the year than dusty

Not a bad season for betting

Second year in a row I took Garland over Prior. Most wins. Lost year I got 4-1, this year even money.
Also AL 22-1
WS 55-1.

Am reinvesting all of it in December at the Venetian!

TheVulture
12-03-2005, 12:01 PM

I hate to break it to you, but your friend's a moron.

MarySwiss
12-03-2005, 12:06 PM
I too won a nice chunk of change on the Sox, but the thing that only other Sox fans would understand is that, although the money is nice, it wasn't nearly the best part! :D:

Soxfan35
12-03-2005, 12:11 PM

Trust me, I've know that for years. he's a cubs fan, enough said. Growing up, there were 4 of us that were real good friends. 2 sox fans and 2 cubs fans. We had some classic arugments and great trips to the cell for the sox cubs series.

munchman33
12-03-2005, 12:15 PM
I got $6,000 off a $100 bet I made in January. :D:

buehrle4cy05
12-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Is this the guy who replaced the really old dude who used to coach the OPRF baseball team? If so, I played against his predecessor in high school (I went to Evanston). He was a class act, won roughly a zillion games over his lengthy career, and knew baseball at all levels inside and out.

Tell Ledbetter to take notes from his predecessor, who never would have made ignorant comments based on allegiance to a certain northside team, nor would he have made a stupid bet like that.

Led's a completely different guy than Kaiser. Kaiser is a legendary coach in all of IHSA sports. Led's a good coach (took us to state last year), and I would venture to say that he's more outgoing than his predecessor.

Fredsox
12-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Led's a completely different guy than Kaiser. Kaiser is a legendary coach in all of IHSA sports. Led's a good coach (took us to state last year), and I would venture to say that he's more outgoing than his predecessor.

Not only was he a good baseball coach but Jack Kaiser was a genuinely nice man. I was a student there a looooonnnnnggg time ago, Kaiser always had a smile and a word of encouragement for any student he interacted with.

Sufferin
12-03-2005, 12:43 PM
Bet a dumb Cubs fan $20 on overall record. After that was wrapped up I offered him double or nothing on the ALDS, I kept offering him double or nothing for each round of the playoffs. $20 bet ended up netting me $160, not too shabby. Of course the best part was getting him to bite each time:D:

tschneid83
12-04-2005, 02:28 AM

I knew someone would make a bet and make out very well.... I guess that person was you

ilsox7
12-04-2005, 02:31 AM
After the first 3 weeks of the season, I bet a friend $100 if the SOx finished 1st or 2nd in the division, I cash out. A 4th or 5th place finish, he cashes, Thirs place was a tie. Pathetically easy money, especially since I had 3 weeks of a nice record built up.

soxrme
12-04-2005, 10:54 AM
had $10.00 game on best record Sox-cubs. Tried to tell my cub fan friend that the playoffs games should have counted too but he wouldn't buy it - $200.00 thank you Sox.

Steelrod
12-04-2005, 11:27 AM
And I thought 55/1 was high! lol
The best news of all is EVERY Cubs fan who bet on ANYTHING, LOST!:)

slavko
12-04-2005, 12:42 PM

Life Lesson from Old Sox Fan:

If you're going to bet, anywhere, anytime, bet with a moron.