PDA

View Full Version : Which FL team will have the better record?

Chicken Dinner
12-02-2005, 02:49 PM
The D-Rays have always sucked but it looks like the Marlins want it more. AAA ball comes to the NL east. Pretty sad that a 2 time World Championship team is allowed to do this.

getonbckthr
12-02-2005, 03:20 PM
The D-Rays have always sucked but it looks like the Marlins want it more. AAA ball comes to the NL east. Pretty sad that a 2 time World Championship team is allowed to do this.
If memory serves me correct that AAA ball club became a Championship ball club after timed developement. Not to mention a few successful seasons following. Its hard to argue with a teams formula for winning when they have been in the league 12 years and have 2 titles.

churlish
12-02-2005, 03:25 PM
The Marlins will definitely be the better team.

They have Josh Beckett...oh wait. Well, they still have Carlos Delgado...oh wait. Uhm, Guillermo Mota, Mike Lowell, Luis Castillo, and A. J. Burnett should still help them.....

Seriously, the Marlins are the sorriest excuse for a franchise I have seen since...The Tampa Bay Devil Rays

I feel sorry for the baseball fans in Florida.

DSpivack
12-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Tampa---72.

Florida---64.

Jjav829
12-02-2005, 05:24 PM
What a shame that it came to this. I know the Marlins underachieved last year, but with a few little tweaks this team could have been a World Series contender. If they went with Hermida for a full year, added a solid bullpen arm or two and found a decent middle of the rotation starter, they would have been right there. Now they are facing another re-building plan. The good news for Marlins fans is that they could be right back in the World Series in a few years. The bad news is that they might not be in Florida when that happens.

At least they are doing this the right way. If you are going to re-build, do it completely. That's what they are doing. Trade everyone except Cabrera and Willis and get back all prospects that are on the verge of contributing. They won't all pan out, but the Marlins will have a ton of quality prospects.

The Marlins 4 years from now:

C
1B - Mike Jacobs/Josh Willingham
2B -
3B - Miguel Cabrera
SS - Hanley Ramirez
LF -
CF -
RF - Jeremy Hermida

SP - Dontrelle Willis
SP - Scott Olsen
SP - Jason Vargas
SP - Anibal Sanchez
SP - Yusmeiro Petit
SP - Josh Johnson
SP - Aaron Thompson
SP - Chris Volstad
SP - Taylor Tankersley (pick 5 of the above, some could possibly end up as relievers)

They have a few position holes to fill, but as they get closer to contending they should have the money to fill those spots. Plus, you never know what player will step up and fill one of those holes. They have a ton of young pitching. They won't all pan out, but they have enough that they should be able to fill a good rotation and possibly trade the others to get some hitters.

I'd be incredibly pissed if I was a Marlins fan, but they have a lot of young talent and will be back in a few years. I can see this kind of like what the Indians did. Still, you have to wonder how this will impact players' views of the Marlins organization. I mean if you are Dontrelle Willis and you become a free agent in 3 years, why would you re-sign with the Marlins? Even if the team is better by then, what's to say that they won't ship you off a year or two after you sign a big deal? Why not go somewhere else where you will have more security? And the same goes for free agents.

Lastly, just think about this. The 2003 Florida Marlins had the following players: Ivan Rodriguez, Derrek Lee, Luis Castillo, Alex Gonzalez, Mike Lowell, Miguel Cabrera, Juan Pierre, Juan Encarnacion, Jeff Conine, Todd Hollandsworth, Josh Beckett, A.J. Burnett, Dontrelle Willis, Carl Pavano, Brad Penny, Mark Redman, Braden Looper and Ugueth Urbina. :thud: Just imagine if that team was together for 2006. I'd take that team and feel confident about winning the World Series for the next 5 years (after 2003). What a shame.

MiamiSpartan
12-05-2005, 06:22 AM
The Rays will have a better record. The Marlins will lose 110 games.

Fenway
12-05-2005, 06:43 AM
The fans on the Marlins board beginning to lose it

http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index.php

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/Accord32/billyBAGhead.jpg

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/687/deathbilly55mr.jpg

doublem23
12-05-2005, 07:33 AM
The fans on the Marlins board beginning to lose it

http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index.php

They officially lost it when they argued about how Billy Koch was going to turn the corner in Miami. :rolleyes:

chaerulez
12-05-2005, 09:38 AM
The Marlins will definitely be the better team.

They have Josh Beckett...oh wait. Well, they still have Carlos Delgado...oh wait. Uhm, Guillermo Mota, Mike Lowell, Luis Castillo, and A. J. Burnett should still help them.....

Seriously, the Marlins are the sorriest excuse for a franchise I have seen since...The Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Don't feel sorry for them- it's by no means a baseball town in Miami or Tampa, even after a world series the Marlins couldn't really draw figures you'd think they would. Although Tampa has yet to prove they can support a winning team, because one has never existed there, they should do something about that awful stadium.

MiamiSpartan
12-05-2005, 09:48 AM
Feel sorry for the Marlin fans. It's not their fault. They supported the team. There was just not enough of them, and the state would not pony up the $30 million shortfall on the funding of the park.

Fenway
12-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Feel sorry for the Marlin fans. It's not their fault. They supported the team. There was just not enough of them, and the state would not pony up the $30 million shortfall on the funding of the park.

The Marlins have a couple of things going against them

Dolphins Stadium is not the easiest place to get to in Miami rush hour traffic....its fine for 10 Dolphins games but a harder sell for 81 baseball games.
It is brutal there in the summer with the humidity.
Tampa Bay's problems

People who live on the Tampa side of the bay simply refuse to cross the 8 mile bridge into Pinellas County, they would rather drive 80 miles to Orlando ( as they do for Magic games ) The Lightning found this out in the years they played in St Pete.
The Dome isn't going anywhere, the City of St Petersburg has an iron clad lease with MLB that has another 23 years to go.

soxfanatlanta
12-05-2005, 10:03 AM

Yeah, all 5000 of them.

Don't feel too sorry for them, attendance was always very bad for both FL teams. Think about it: you are a 20-something guy and it's 92 and sunny. Do you
A)Go to a ballgame, or
B)Go see the topless ladies at South Beach/Clearwater?

Um...

MiamiSpartan
12-07-2005, 08:01 AM
Most of the site lines at Dolphins Stadium are great for football, very poor for baseball. You are also guaranteed to sit in a tropical deluge for at least 30 minutes around game time where the ballpark is located. This town is so football mad, and the Fins have not done crap in decades....

soxfanreggie
12-07-2005, 06:27 PM
I think the Devil Rays will. They will have Rocco Baldelli back giving them a decent and upcoming outfield with him and Carl Crawford. They have some very promising players in their farm system too. Should be interesting with what the new owner is doing. My dad said he might get season tickets to them because they're so cheap and so he can go see the Sox. He could easily use them as a business expense. He thought about getting the tix before, but he's like, with free parking, bring your own food, and such...it won't be bad to go. Big problem with the Tampa area, there are so many people from the Northeast (Boston fans, NY fans, etc.) That they already have favorite teams they've been supporting forever.

RKMeibalane
12-07-2005, 07:26 PM
The Marlins will still have the better record. In spite of all of their problems, they still have Cabrera and Willis. Two players won't meak or break a franchise, but they should keep Florida from being worse than Tampa.