PDA

View Full Version : Milton Bradley

TheKittle
12-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Low risk, very high reward if the White Sox want to get him. The Dodgers were looking to trade him. But now that Giles resigned with the Padres, Werth is out with an hand injury and JD Drew will get hurt just walking, the Dodgers may keep Bradley. So who knows.

I've always been a fan of Bradley but he has a lot of baggage. But a fresh start could do wonders for him. Giving up a mid level prospect for Bradley could be a steal. And he's cheap less than a 2 mill salary. He will play a great defensive CF, has good pop, and works his butt off. The knee injury he suffered is healing.

mweflen
12-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Bradley is the anti-grinder. He is way too much of an under-acheiving slacker punk to even consider. Though I appreciate the thought.

SOecks
12-02-2005, 02:26 PM
AJ had a pretty bad rep before coming here too though and that turned out pretty well. If KW considers it and does his homework, I have no problem picking him up. I have faith in KW.

patbooyah
12-02-2005, 02:30 PM
i hate to say it, because i know how the rest of this board feels, but i like bradley.

maybe chicago/ozzie would be just the thing to get him straight.

TheKittle
Bradley is the anti-grinder. He is way too much of an under-acheiving slacker punk to even consider. Though I appreciate the thought.

Call him a punk but an underacheiving slacker, you're way off. Is he a star? No. He is a grinder and if you actually saw him play you would see that.

caracascat
Bradley is the biggest piece of garbage. He is Crazy Carl without the heart and goodness of Carl

santo=dorf
12-02-2005, 02:31 PM
AJ had a pretty bad rep before coming here too though and that turned out pretty well. If KW considers it and does his homework, I have no problem picking him up. I have faith in KW.

I don't recall AJ being labeled as a "cancer" for every team he played for, throwing an entire bag of balls on the field, or going after a fan in the stands.

Just say "NO!"

veeter
12-02-2005, 02:33 PM
AJ had a pretty bad rep before coming here too though and that turned out pretty well. If KW considers it and does his homework, I have no problem picking him up. I have faith in KW.Bradley makes AJ look like a choir boy. Anyway, all the stuff about AJ was BS anyway. Just little jag Tomko spreading crap. Bradley has some serious anger issues. I don't go near him when we have so many great OF prospects. The time to experiment with position players is now because our pitching is so great. And because we have Thome.

TheKittle
12-02-2005, 02:34 PM
I don't recall AJ being labeled as a "cancer" for every team he played for, throwing an entire bag of balls on the field, or going after a fan in the stands.

Just say "NO!"

AJ with the Twins=Cancer
AJ with the Giants=Cancer

I guess AJ wasn't a cancer with the Fort Myer Twins in AA.

Chicken Dinner
I thought White Sox Monopoly was Parker Bros., not Milton Bradley.

mweflen
Call him a punk but an underacheiving slacker, you're way off. Is he a star? No. He is a grinder and if you actually saw him play you would see that.

I've seen him play many times. I've heckled him many times. He deserved it every time.

He dogs it out on the field. He thinks he's hot ****. He's a primadonna. We don't need him.

patbooyah
12-02-2005, 02:35 PM

Just say "NO!"

i don't think he went after fans. i think he just yelled and spiked a bottle that had been thrown at him.

veeter
12-02-2005, 02:35 PM
i hate to say it, because i know how the rest of this board feels, but i like bradley.

maybe chicago/ozzie would be just the thing to get him straight.Why go through the hassle of babysitting, when you have 25 MEN already?

patbooyah
12-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Why go through the hassle of babysitting, when you have 25 MEN already?

i agree. but i read an espn the magazine article about milton bradley and it talked about his roots, and his life growing up in long beach, etc..

i hate to see people be so dismissive of someone who has continually admitted that he has deep-seated anger issues and is continually trying to battle them.

Deuce
12-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Bradley is a headcase. Why anyone would voluntarily bring him into their clubhouse is beyond me. Nothing destroys team chemistry like this guy. And since there is absolutely no indication that the Sox are stupid enough to pick him up, I ask: Dude, what's the score?

mweflen
12-02-2005, 02:42 PM
i agree. but i read an espn the magazine article about milton bradley and it talked about his roots, and his life growing up in long beach, etc..

i hate to see people be so dismissive of someone who has continually admitted that he has deep-seated anger issues and is continually trying to battle them.

he has enticing stats, sure. he looks like he is prime for a breakout. But if we were to sign someone crazy for 2-3 mil, I'd rather it be Crazy Carl.

patbooyah
12-02-2005, 02:44 PM
he has enticing stats, sure. he looks like he is prime for a breakout. But if we were to sign someone crazy for 2-3 mil, I'd rather it be Crazy Carl.

makes sense, but i'd probably rather have bradley, just because of raw talent/ability to contribute in the field. and i'm a glutton for punishment, as you can see by even defending him here!

i've been searching frantically for the article about bradley, but i can't find it.

i do see why people wouldn't want him, however... he does cause a lot of controvery. i just think it would be interesting to see how ozzie handled him. if anyone could do it, ozzie could.

veeter
12-02-2005, 02:45 PM

i hate to see people be so dismissive of someone who has continually admitted that he has deep-seated anger issues and is continually trying to battle them.I admire his battling and I know he'll get picked up by some team. I just don't think it's a good fit for the Sox.

patbooyah
12-02-2005, 02:46 PM
I admire his battling and I know he'll get picked up by some team. I just don't think it's a good fit for the Sox.

i don't either. i guess i would just like to see ozzie get him in line, because i wish him the best as a human being.

Tekijawa
12-02-2005, 02:49 PM

I hate to see people who continually admit that they have deep-seated anger issues and then do nothing about them and use that as an excuse to do things half***ed and question why they are looked down upon.

spiffie
12-02-2005, 02:49 PM
I could see Ozzie and the White Sox clubhouse being able to do for a troubled player the same sort of thing that happened with the Bulls and Dennis Rodman when they picked him up. At the time no one in their right mind would have said "yeah, he's a great guy to have around" but when he was put in an environment where people were able to get him under control he and the team flourished. If the price was low enough, I would be willing to take a chance on Bradley. If he doesn't work out, we dump him and use one of the prospects, but if he does work out suddenly you've got a hell of a lineup out there with that pitching staff.

patbooyah
12-02-2005, 02:50 PM
I hate to see people who continually admit that they have deep-seated anger issues and then do nothing about them and use that as an excuse to do things half***ed and question why they are looked down upon.

upon what are you basing your knowledge that he has "done nothing?"

beckett21
12-02-2005, 02:50 PM
makes sense, but i'd probably rather have bradley, just because of raw talent/ability to contribute in the field. and i'm a glutton for punishment, as you can see by even defending him here!

i've been searching frantically for the article about bradley, but i can't find it.

i do see why people wouldn't want him, however... he does cause a lot of controvery. i just think it would be interesting to see how ozzie handled him. if anyone could do it, ozzie could.

The smog is getting to you. :redneck

Talented guy, but he is a ticking time-bomb. You just never know when he is going to snap.

It's nothing against him or whatever hardships he has had to overcome. The fact of the matter is that he just cannot get his anger under control. He cannot be trusted, therefore he cannot be relied upon. It wouldn't be fair to the rest of the team.

maurice
12-02-2005, 02:51 PM
AJ was labeled a cancer by the media based on unfounded or exaggerated hearsay.
Bradley is clearly a nut case, based on events we observed with our own eyes.

Krause picked up Rodman because he was desperate for a low-post defender/rebounder and had little to trade. The Sox are not in an analogous position.

spiffie
12-02-2005, 02:52 PM
AJ was labeled a cancer by the media based on unfounded or exaggerated hearsay.

Bradley is clearly a nut case, based on events we observed with our own eyes.
So was Carl Everett, but somehow it worked out all right ;)

WestSox
12-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Bradley is a headcase. Why anyone would voluntarily bring him into their clubhouse is beyond me. Nothing destroys team chemistry like this guy. And since there is absolutely no indication that the Sox are stupid enough to pick him up, I ask: Dude, what's the score?

Agreed. Didn't he call Jeff Kent a "racist" earlier this year? Nobody wants a scumbag like that on their team.

And speaking of "cancers", what exactly was A.J. accused of doing in SF? And does anybody know what "personal issues" Jenks had that caused other teams to pass on him? Just curious...

nodiggity59
I started a thread about this guy a week ago in What's The Score. To me, getting Bradley would be the #2 option, next to just starting Anderson. If we go get a guy, I want it to be him. He would be a perfect #2 hitter. In terms of his issues, we have Ozzie who would play the Phil Jackson role here. He'll cool Bradley down and won't take any of his **** either.

patbooyah
The smog is getting to you. :redneck

Talented guy, but he is a ticking time-bomb. You just never know when he is going to snap.

It's nothing against him or whatever hardships he has had to overcome. The fact of the matter is that he just cannot get his anger under control. He cannot be trusted, therefore he cannot be relied upon. It wouldn't be fair to the rest of the team.

i agree. i think i'm just a bit of a risk taker. and i have complete faith in ozzie whipping him into shape if he did come to this team.

maurice
12-02-2005, 02:54 PM
So was Carl Everett, but somehow it worked out all right ;)

You're right, but Everett had cooled off and matured by the time KW acquired him. KW's investigation revealed that Everett was a model teammate in Texas. OTOH, Bradley was a nut case as recently as this year.

Deuce
12-02-2005, 02:57 PM
i agree. i think i'm just a bit of a risk taker. and i have complete faith in ozzie whipping him into shape if he did come to this team.Cliff diving is a risky leap. Bradley is a suicide. Besides, I don't want our team to have any more former Indians. It makes me feel... unclean. :unsure:

patbooyah
12-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Agreed. Didn't he call Jeff Kent a "racist" earlier this year? Nobody wants a scumbag like that on their team.

he said jeff kent didn't know how to deal with black people. he didn't call him a racist.

maurice
12-02-2005, 02:59 PM
what exactly was A.J. accused of doing in SF?

The most often repeated allegation was that he was playing cards when one of the Giant's pitchers wanted to go over the opposing hitters, and he made him wait. (There also was some bizarre bit about AJ hitting somebody in the nuts.) Hermanson was a pitcher on that Giants team and told KW that the rumors were exaggerated and that AJ had a great relationship with the rest of the staff.

Aside: IIRC, AJ paid off Joe Borchard after he hit a HR off of the whiney Giant's pitcher (Tomko?) during Spring Training.
:D:

Tekijawa
12-02-2005, 03:00 PM
upon what are you basing your knowledge that he has "done nothing?"

OK, I withdawl that part... I guess he just can't be helped, if in fact he has looked for help. I think there are however BIG differences in Bradley's "anger issues" and what the Sox were able to "fix" or deal with in AJ and Everetts cases.

patbooyah
12-02-2005, 03:02 PM
OK, I withdawl that part... I guess he just can't be helped, if in fact he has looked for help. I think there are however BIG differences in Bradley's "anger issues" and what the Sox were able to "fix" or deal with in AJ and Everetts cases.

i think what you said is right! he can't be helped... that's why i'm so interested in what would happen under ozzie's watch. i don't know.

beckett21
12-02-2005, 03:07 PM
i agree. i think i'm just a bit of a risk taker. and i have complete faith in ozzie whipping him into shape if he did come to this team.

I'd qualify myself as a risk-taker as well, at least in regards to this type of thing. I just wonder if Bradley is capable of being *whipped into shape.* A tiger doesn't usually change his stripes.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, I just think there is a much greater probability that it doesn't. Too bad, because the guy does have a lot of talent if he could apply himself. The upside is there, but he would carry tremendous risk IMO. Sort of like a 5-tool powder-keg. :redneck

WestSox
12-02-2005, 03:14 PM
he said jeff kent didn't know how to deal with black people. he didn't call him a racist.

Ah, so he gave him the "racially-insensitive" label instead. Got it.

Bradley is a race-baiting headcase. I don't want him on this team.

Uncle_Patrick
12-02-2005, 03:20 PM
AJ with the Twins=Cancer

What's with the green font?

When was AJ called a cancer with the Twins? I've heard the Giants thing before, but people tend to forget that it was 2 pitchers who went to the press with that, and one later retracted and apologized. I had always heard that AJ had a good relationship with his teammates on the Twins (people who played against him hated him, but not his teammates), and a lot of Twins fans still like him. As I recall, he was traded by Twins because they had Joe Mauer on the horizon.

nodiggity59
12-02-2005, 03:20 PM

Don't base your judgements of Bradley on his dealings with Kent. Kent himself is a well known ******* and cancer, though I've never heard of him being a racist before. If you don't like Bradley cause of the effect he'd have on the team, there's plenty more rope to hang him with.

patbooyah
12-02-2005, 03:26 PM

:?:
are you defending jeff kent?

WestSox
12-02-2005, 04:17 PM
:?:
are you defending jeff kent?

Bradley accusing Kent of "not knowing how to talk to black people" is nothing but a veiled attempt to call him a "racist". Perhaps it never occurred to Bradley that maybe he "doesn't know how to talk to" Caucasians who drive pickup trucks and like huntin' and fishin.' :rolleyes:

Kent certainly is a little rough around the edges and has a teamper, but he's a still a good teammate. That's more than I can say for the people he's had problems with over the years. Bradley and Bonds are both terrible teammates and, even worse, racists. Thankfully, we'll never see either in a Sox uniform.

Optipessimism
12-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Bradley accusing Kent of "not knowing how to talk to black people" is nothing but a veiled attempt to call him a "racist". Perhaps it never occurred to Bradley that maybe he "doesn't know how to talk to" Caucasians who drive pickup trucks and like huntin' and fishin.' :rolleyes:

Kent certainly is a little rough around the edges and has a teamper, but he's a still a good teammate. That's more than I can say for the people he's had problems with over the years. Bradley and Bonds are both terrible teammates and, even worse, racists. Thankfully, we'll never see either in a Sox uniform.

I dunno, Kent seems like a real prick to me. I wouldn't be too crazy about getting Bradley, but if KW ever looked into it, I'm sure he would do his research. He'd talk to former teammates, managers, and coaches, and probably have a few lenghthy one-on-ones with Bradley himself. If after all that KW was convinced that Bradley was a good fit, I'd firmly support it. Besides, even if KW did deal for this guy and he acted like a butthole you can be sure he'd be on waivers five minutes later.

SOXSINCE'70
12-02-2005, 04:53 PM
IIRC, AJ paid off Joe Borchard after he hit a HR off of the whiney Giant's pitcher (Tomko?) during Spring Training.
:D:

Yes,that woud be Brett Tomko.Now,A.J. has one WS ring,Tomko,none.:D:

WestSox
12-02-2005, 05:03 PM
I dunno, Kent seems like a real prick to me.

Nolan Ryan was a real prick as well, but he didn't alienate most of his teammates by screaming, "Racism!"

Forget Bradley. As long as Anderson can play solid defense in CF and can hit .250, we're not going to see a huge drop-off from Rowand. Bat him 9th be happy that we have both Paulie AND Thome in the lineup now. :bandance:

ChiSoxLifer
12-02-2005, 05:12 PM

It won't be long before he accuses Ozzie of not being able to relate to minorities. This is, after all, a heavily Latino-flavored team.

rbeze09
12-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Bradley is the biggest piece of garbage. He is Crazy Carl without the heart and goodness of Carl

Am I the only person that doesn't miss Carl? I thought he was arrogant and just not very good. He struck out way too much, seeming to be swinging for the fences most of the time. His stats show he didn't outdrive those fences very often. I wouldn't consider him a grinder, but I'll give him credit he's part of our WORLD CHAMPIONS.

WestSox
12-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Am I the only person that doesn't miss Carl? I thought he was arrogant and just not very good. He struck out way too much, seeming to be swinging for the fences most of the time. His stats show he didn't outdrive those fences very often.

I'm not really going to miss him, either. He did swing for the fences a bit too much (99 K, .311 OBP). Didn't particularly like him bringing up his controversial fundamentalist religious philosophy to the press either, but I saw no evidence of him being a bad person or a bad teammate. It was just time for him to go because he can't play the field anymore and his OBP is too low.

patbooyah
12-02-2005, 06:13 PM

how is you calling bradley and bonds racist different than milton bradley calling jeff kent a racist?

oh, i know -- bradley has first hand information.

santo=dorf
12-02-2005, 07:22 PM
AJ with the Twins=Cancer

:tealpolice:

AJ wasn't a cancer on the Twins.

Keep making stuff up. :dtroll: