PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Abreu trade idea

gr8mexico
12-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Can the Sox take on extra payroll? I'm not sure if the Sox can pull of a trade for Bobby but why not trade Jermaine Dye and Orlando Hernandez for Javier Vazquez then turn around and trade Javier Vazquez and Damaso Marte for Bobby Abreu. It seems like the Phillies want to trade Abreu but the Sox might not be able to afford him. Kenny likes to be involved in 3way deals and with a great team on the field the Sox would make alot of money next year.'06 might be Dye & Hernandez last year with the Sox anyways .The Sox get a LH bat that they want with speed.Then the Sox can consider signing Mike Myers, Branden Looper,Ricardo Rincon or Urbina is the price is right to fill the empty bullpen spots.

kittle42
12-02-2005, 02:44 PM
Can the Sox take on extra payroll? I'm not sure if the Sox can pull of a trade for Bobby but why not trade Jermaine Dye and Orlando Hernandez for Javier Vazquez then turn around and trade Javier Vazquez and Damaso Marte for Bobby Abreu. It seems like the Phillies want to trade Abreu but the Sox might not be able to afford him. Kenny likes to be involved in 3way deals and with a great team on the field the Sox would make alot of money next year.'06 might be Dye & Hernandez last year with the Sox anyways .The Sox get a LH bat that they want with speed.Then the Sox can consider signing Mike Myers, Branden Looper,Ricardo Rincon or Urbina is the price is right to fill the empty bullpen spots.

:rolleyes:

Chisox003
12-02-2005, 02:50 PM
:rolleyes:
Word.

P.S. Isn't Urbina in jail for attempted murder? So now we got a thread going after Milton "Anger Management" Bradley and another suggesting we sign a psycho. That has repeat written all over it.

mdep524
12-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Can the Sox take on extra payroll? I'm not sure if the Sox can pull of a trade for Bobby but why not trade Jermaine Dye and Orlando Hernandez for Javier Vazquez then turn around and trade Javier Vazquez and Damaso Marte for Bobby Abreu. It seems like the Phillies want to trade Abreu but the Sox might not be able to afford him. Kenny likes to be involved in 3way deals and with a great team on the field the Sox would make alot of money next year.'06 might be Dye & Hernandez last year with the Sox anyways .The Sox get a LH bat that they want with speed.Then the Sox can consider signing Mike Myers, Branden Looper,Ricardo Rincon or Urbina is the price is right to fill the empty bullpen spots. It's not the worst idea in the world... for a team that doesn't have Konerko and Thome. With both those guys in the fold I doubt very highly the Sox would shell out more big bucks to bring in Abreu. Javier Vazquez is semi-intriguing though...

kittle42
12-02-2005, 02:56 PM
The only thing worse than an off-season trade rumor thread is an off-season trade idea thread.

mdep524
12-02-2005, 03:05 PM
The only thing worse than an off-season trade rumor thread is an off-season trade idea thread. Yeah, there's no room for stuff like that on an internet message board.

:)

kittle42
12-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Yeah, there's no room for stuff like that on an internet message board.

Didn't say there was no place for it - this particular forum is perfect. :smile:

caulfield12
12-02-2005, 03:17 PM

Maybe we can bring back Wilfredo Cordero, Clayton and Lofton, lol.

The problem here is obvious...payroll. With Thome here, we practically eliminated Abreu (along with Rowand and Thomas), because we no longer have a pressing need for LH threat and our payroll went close to the $87-90 million mark, theoretically.

Not to mention that two of our best outfield prospects, Anderson and Sweeney, both are RFers. Well, Anderson could play any of three....and, of course, there is Borchard, too.

But we no longer need to look for offense from the OF, with the possible exception of CF...we can, however, spend some time tweaking the bullpen.

Chisox003
12-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Yeah, there's no room for stuff like that on an internet message board.

:)
There's absolutely nothing wrong with trade ideas, it's when those trade ideas get stupid that things get ugly.

I read the first part which suggested El Duque and Dye for Vasquez, then got to the end and saw Urbina mentioned, and went :o:

Gotta love the offseason

getonbckthr
12-02-2005, 03:29 PM
If we could manage to get Vasquez for El Duque and prospects, then swing Garland and Dye for Abreu and afford it fine, but thats as far as I would go in those directions. Not saying it would happen or even has a chance of happening but our lineup would look like this(it gives us speed in the 2 hole):

1)Pods-CF
2)Abreu-RF
3)Konerko-1B
4)Thome-DH
5)Iguchi-2B
6)AJ-C
7)Crede-3B
8)Anderson-CF
9)Uribe-SS

gr8mexico
12-02-2005, 04:16 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with trade ideas, it's when those trade ideas get stupid that things get ugly.

I read the first part which suggested El Duque and Dye for Vasquez, then got to the end and saw Urbina mentioned, and went :o:

Gotta love the offseason Urbina name was tossed out there because he can pitch and can come cheap after the problems he had off the field. Urbina is also a close friend of Ozzie and I couldn't imagine Ozzie having any problems with him. Urbina pays off a couple of officials in Venezuela and he is off the hook. 2nd if anyone in here thinks that Dye is going to stay healthy you must be crazy.Chances are he might get hurt with all the problems he had in the past. If Dye goes down then not only do the Sox have to replace CF with a rookie but RF too. You can forget about Borchard he needs a fresh start somewhere else.

pythons007
12-02-2005, 04:22 PM

Gimme some of that:smokin:

SoxFanTillDeath
12-02-2005, 04:24 PM
If we could manage to get Vasquez for El Duque and prospects, then swing Garland and Dye for Abreu and afford it fine, but thats as far as I would go in those directions. Not saying it would happen or even has a chance of happening but our lineup would look like this(it gives us speed in the 2 hole):

1)Pods-CF
2)Abreu-RF
3)Konerko-1B
4)Thome-DH
5)Iguchi-2B
6)AJ-C
7)Crede-3B
8)Anderson-CF
9)Uribe-SS

This trade I like. Probably because it's completely unrealistic (the D-backs don't want el-Duque), but I still like it. We'd essentially upgrade from Dye to Abreu for a prospect or two. Too bad it won't ever happen, and I don't want to see Garland traded.

getonbckthr
12-02-2005, 04:37 PM
This trade I like. Probably because it's completely unrealistic (the D-backs don't want el-Duque), but I still like it. We'd essentially upgrade from Dye to Abreu for a prospect or two. Too bad it won't ever happen, and I don't want to see Garland traded.
Well notice I did say doubt it could happen.

gr8mexico
12-02-2005, 04:48 PM
I know that a trade like this probally wont happend just because the Sox dont have the Money like both NY teams have but I just cant see 1 of our OF prospects developing into a solid starting OF's .Joe Borchard BUST! beside his 530ft HR what else has the guy done. The Sox should really consider Abreu or Pierre.

getonbckthr
12-02-2005, 05:14 PM
I know that a trade like this probally wont happend just because the Sox dont have the Money like both NY teams have but I just cant see 1 of our OF prospects developing into a solid starting OF's .Joe Borchard BUST! beside his 530ft HR what else has the guy done. The Sox should really consider Abreu or Pierre.
Completely agree. Potential is just a fancy word for trade bait.

Taliesinrk
12-02-2005, 07:49 PM

No..
It seems as though some here want to get rid of all of last year's team.

gr8mexico
12-02-2005, 08:50 PM
No..
It seems as though some here want to get rid of all of last year's team. No the problem is that every team is improving there team and the Sox should also to the same. They already took a huge step by trading for Thome why stop know. The pitching is finally here why not try and improve the team even more. Dont you think the team would be ever better with Abreu or Pierre hitting 2nd.

Taliesinrk
12-05-2005, 10:38 PM
No the problem is that every team is improving there team and the Sox should also to the same. They already took a huge step by trading for Thome why stop know. The pitching is finally here why not try and improve the team even more. Dont you think the team would be ever better with Abreu or Pierre hitting 2nd.

Not if we sacrifice defense or hustle in order to get a "better" 2 hitter. Furthermore, it'll be hard to replace the little things Tad did this year. I personally don't think either of them could do the job he did.