PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Carl back to Sox?

mweflen
12-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Just to clarify, this is NOT a rumor or overheard KW cellphone conversation, just an idle speculation on my part.

With ARow gone, could we see Carl back as a 3rd outfielder and/or platoon mate with BA?

And just cause I like polls, here's one.

Theanticub
12-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Just to clarify, this is not a rumor, just an idle speculation on my part.

With ARow gone, could we see Carl back as a 3rd outfielderand/or platoon mate with BA?

And just cause I like polls, here's one.

Please God NO. He is the stereotypical rally killer. If Carl or Uribe came up with two outs, that was my cue to go to the bathroom before everyone else did.

mweflen
12-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Please God NO. He is the stereotypical rally killer. If Carl or Uribe came up with two outs, that was my cue to go to the bathroom before everyone else did.

Agreed. Except when he got any of his 87 RBI. So I guess it can be seen both ways. :D:

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2005, 01:04 PM
What in the world would the Sox do with Carl Everett? (And this had better not be a continuation of yesterday's rant about being afraid that Brian Anderson is going to cost them the season hitting 8th.)

mweflen
12-02-2005, 01:07 PM
What in the world would the Sox do with Carl Everett? (And this had better not be a continuation of yesterday's rant about being afraid that Brian Anderson is going to cost them the season hitting 8th.)

Oh no. Far from it. I've resigned myself to the prospect of BA getting 500 AB's or more. I lived through something similar in 2004, so why not 2006?

And if it were, just what would you do about it, huh tough guy? :tongue:

It's just well known KW has a big soft spot for CC. I was just pondering.

SoxSpeed22
12-02-2005, 01:10 PM
What in the world would the Sox do with Carl Everett?:hawk
"Where's he gonna play?"

SouthSideHitman
12-02-2005, 01:11 PM
We have four great young outfielders in the system plus Scotty and JD, two capable first basemen/DHs and we're talking about resigning an aging guy who plays terrible outfield or DHs with no upside? Gimme a break. Carl was a good bargain last year and did pretty well in 03 but now, he gone. Kenny won't give him a second thought.

Chicken Dinner
12-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Not until at least July 30th......Will re-evaluate then

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Oh no. Far from it. I've resigned myself to the prospect of BA getting 500 AB's or more. I lived through something similar in 2004, so why not 2006?

And if it were, just what would you do about it, huh tough guy? :tongue:

It's just well known KW has a big soft spot for CC. I was just pondering.CC had one use last year - as a backup/alternative to Frank Thomas. That job is no longer open.

Hangar18
12-02-2005, 01:26 PM

Heh heh

mweflen
12-02-2005, 01:32 PM

Oh no, who will we lose in Crazy Carl Trade III? :redneck

pythons007
12-02-2005, 01:33 PM

:rolling:

WestSox
12-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Nothing personal against Carl, but he's just not that good anymore and is too freaking slow to play anywhere in the OF.

Tekijawa
12-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Nothing personal against Carl, but he's just not that good anymore and is too freaking slow to play anywhere in the OF.

He's Got Manny Ramirez Speed with a Willie Harris Bat :?: ... I don't want him back.

mweflen
12-02-2005, 02:09 PM
He's Got Manny Ramirez Speed with a Willie Harris Bat :?: ... I don't want him back.

Carl's got weaknesses - but Willie Harris? He hits for considerably more power...

Deuce
12-02-2005, 02:11 PM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/mlb/2001/0721/photo/a_konerko_i.jpg

O Captain! My Captain! :puking:

There are no captains in baseball. Just clubhouse leaders and coaches.

Tekijawa
12-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Carl's got weaknesses - but Willie Harris? He hits for considerably more power...
I was making a joke... I thought it would be funny to say something that looked like a good like it could be good until you reread it and realized that it was the complete oposite of what it should be... What if I put it this way? Carl is like Joe Borchard with his foot cut off.:D:

mjharrison72
12-02-2005, 02:14 PM
I don't have any patent dislike for Carl, and I was actually pretty happy with the great shape he showed up in at Spring Training. I also remember very early in the season, Carl picked up the tab during a team dinner at Morton's steakhouse. I think he far exceeded people's expectations, both on and off the field, especially from people who considered him washed-up and injury-prone. If memory serves, Carl was healthy all this season, more than we can say for supposedly more durable players like Podsednik and Crede.

That said, I have a sort of logistical contract-related question: Could we even re-sign Carl if we wanted to? Didn't we decline an option for this season? Does that mean we just didn't want to pay him what the option stated?

I voted "no," not because I dislike Carl, but becasue I think we should give the playing time to Anderson or Owens to develop as an OF. Of course, if injuries force us to look for a quality DH, I think Carl should be on the list. Maybe not at the top, but at least on it.

mweflen
12-02-2005, 02:15 PM
I was making a joke... I thought it would be funny to say something that looked like a good like it could be good until you reread it and realized that it was the complete oposite of what it should be... What if I put it this way? Carl is like Joe Borchard with his foot cut off.:D:

OK... like Joe Borchard, sans foot, but with better plate discipline. Which is SCARY, considering Carl's plate discipline... :smile:

Al Franken AA
12-02-2005, 02:18 PM
....Everett drove in 82 runs in 490 at bats and Uribe, hitting low in the order all season, drove in 71 in 480 at bats. Korerko, the toast of the town, drove in only 100 in 575 at bats hitting clean-up all season.

Tekijawa
12-02-2005, 02:19 PM
OK... like Joe Borchard, sans foot, but with better plate discipline. Which is SCARY, considering Carl's plate discipline... :smile:

EXACTLY!!!

Borchard might want to get his football spikes ready! A lot of teams Need QB's and he's still young!

veeter
12-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Some guys need to relax on the put downs of Everett. Carl is not a superstar or a fit for the 2006 Sox, that's for sure. But he was terrific for the Sox last year. Most of his 87 rbi's were huge. He also hit .300 in the post season. Like any player, he had his ups and downs. But like every man on the roster Everett contributed, and he more than most, especially in April and May. I think the guy is a damn good professional hitter. So there.

Al Franken AA
12-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Can we get this guy out of here, already.
Everett drove in 82 runs in 490 at bats.
I don't think Harris would have done that.

mjharrison72
12-02-2005, 02:23 PM
....Everett drove in 82 runs in 490 at bats and Uribe, hitting low in the order all season, drove in 71 in 480 at bats. Korerko, the toast of the town, drove in only 100 in 575 at bats hitting clean-up all season.
And interestingly, Everett hit .197 with the bases empty and .317 with runners on... more than 200 AB in both situations. What I thought of is all teh times he seemed to come up and not be able to START a rally... especially with 2 outs, nobody on. It was those situations where I knew we were going to go down 1-2-3.

Tekijawa
12-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Can we get this guy out of here, already.
Everett drove in 82 runs in 490 at bats.
I don't think Harris would have done that.

Welcome Al... Newbee's sure do have Brass ones as of late!

mweflen
12-02-2005, 02:28 PM
As much as I liked to dog Crazy Carl for his flailing strikout swings (did he ever meet a sinker he didn't like?), the previous posters make excellent point about his RISP and 'rally' skills.

He wouldnt have gotten the RBI's he did without some timely hitting. He wasn't exactly a HR powerhouse.

veeter
12-02-2005, 02:28 PM
And interestingly, Everett hit .197 with the bases empty and .317 with runners on... more than 200 AB in both situations. What I thought of is all teh times he seemed to come up and not be able to START a rally... especially with 2 outs, nobody on. It was those situations where I knew we were going to go down 1-2-3.Everett's job was to drive in runs, and he did that. He's not supposed to be on OBP guy.

Tekijawa
12-02-2005, 02:31 PM
As much as I liked to dog Crazy Carl for his flailing strikout swings (did he ever meet a sinker he didn't like?), the previous posters make excellent point about his RISP and 'rally' skills.

He wouldnt have gotten the RBI's he did without some timely hitting. He wasn't exactly a HR powerhouse.

I think it just goes back to Hawk's famous saying of "where would he play?"

Really He's probably Just a DH at this point in his Career, Thome will be fine there and Carl's just as likely to get injured at this point as Thome is. I wouldn't want to experiment with him in the OF either. He was good for what we needed the past couple of years and I thank him for that, but there is unfortunately no room for him here, now.

Al Franken AA
12-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Welcome Al... Newbee's sure do have Brass ones as of late!

Just a payback.

Tekijawa
12-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Just a payback.

Sweet payback!

Bobby Thigpen
12-02-2005, 02:38 PM

Since he unretired maybe we could sign Robbie Alomar and trade him for Carl in the mother of all Sox trades!!!:o:

Tekijawa
12-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Since he unretired maybe we could sign Robbie Alomar and trade him for Carl in the mother of all Sox trades!!!:o:

I don't want the Universe Collapsing in upon itself, I think we should stay away from this.:D:

gobears1987
12-02-2005, 03:17 PM
**** NO!!!!!!! Crazy Carl shouldn't be considered. I WANT FRANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Optipessimism
12-02-2005, 04:31 PM
I don't have any patent dislike for Carl, and I was actually pretty happy with the great shape he showed up in at Spring Training. I also remember very early in the season, Carl picked up the tab during a team dinner at Morton's steakhouse. I think he far exceeded people's expectations, both on and off the field, especially from people who considered him washed-up and injury-prone. If memory serves, Carl was healthy all this season, more than we can say for supposedly more durable players like Podsednik and Crede.

That said, I have a sort of logistical contract-related question: Could we even re-sign Carl if we wanted to? Didn't we decline an option for this season? Does that mean we just didn't want to pay him what the option stated?

I voted "no," not because I dislike Carl, but becasue I think we should give the playing time to Anderson or Owens to develop as an OF. Of course, if injuries force us to look for a quality DH, I think Carl should be on the list. Maybe not at the top, but at least on it.

Finally. Why all the Carl hate? He helped make us World Champions just less than two months ago and now he's "Joe Borchard with his foot cut off?" Damn! Everett has played in 1,313 major league games, has 4,501 AB's, 1,234 hits, 191 HR's, 759 RBI's, and a .274 lifetime average. Joe Borchard most likely NEVER sees these numbers in his entire career while Carl will continue building on them.

Everett on our bench gives us an established veteran switch hitter with power who can come through in the clutch. How could you not want that luxury? I doubt he comes back because he is still good enough to be a starter as a LF/DH on several teams and is also going to command at least 3-4 mil per year, but give the guy at least a tiny bit of respect. I hope he does well wherever he goes as long as it isn't against us.

Frater Perdurabo
12-02-2005, 04:33 PM
I'd rather have Frank Thomas back on the Sox.

Optipessimism
12-02-2005, 04:37 PM
**** NO!!!!!!! Crazy Carl shouldn't be considered. I WANT FRANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Frank is healthy enough to play 110-120 or more games as a DH, platooning him against lefties or bringing him off the bench is a spit in the face to his legacy as a member of the White Sox IMO. I'd rather see him go anywhere else, even if it is one of our rivals, and finish his career with some dignity. He has his ring, albeit not the way he would have wanted to earn it, but he has it nonetheless, and will have a very nice statue and HOF ceremony in Chicago when it's all said and done.

Brian26
12-02-2005, 08:26 PM
I don't understand all of the Carl hate either. His two triples in Detroit started the 16-1 run to end the season. He had big hits all year long, and he seemed to be a real leader by trying to give guys like Rowand and Crede the credit towards the end. Royce Clayton deserved the kick in the pants when he left town, and Carl is nowhere near that.

Realist
12-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Carl Everett's .444 batting average and that ground out to move Harris to third in the 8th inning of Game 4 in the World Series absolutely killed us. I never want to see him in a Sox uniform ever again.

nccwsfan
12-02-2005, 08:39 PM

The CWS could offer Everett arbitration between now and 12/7. If they decline to do so by that date he couldn't re-sign with the White Sox until May 1st. Given the OF situation on this team I would think that it's probably not going to happen.

Thanks for the memories...

DickAllen72
12-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Some guys need to relax on the put downs of Everett. Carl is not a superstar or a fit for the 2006 Sox, that's for sure. But he was terrific for the Sox last year. Most of his 87 rbi's were huge. He also hit .300 in the post season. Like any player, he had his ups and downs. But like every man on the roster Everett contributed, and he more than most, especially in April and May. I think the guy is a damn good professional hitter. So there.

Thank You!

Fact is, no Carl Everett in 2005, no Sox division title in 2005.

The Sox may not have a spot for him in 2006, but the put downs of Carl are plain stupid.

Thanks Carl, for your contributions, both on the field and in the clubhouse, towards the first White Sox World Series Championship in 87 years!:gulp:

Brian26
12-02-2005, 08:49 PM
The CWS could offer Everett arbitration between now and 12/7. If they decline to do so by that date he couldn't re-sign with the White Sox until May 1st. Given the OF situation on this team I would think that it's probably not going to happen.

Exactly right. The key here is that the Sox can't afford to offer Carl arbitration. He'll probably command, as someone said, a minimum of 3-4 million a year, which just isn't left in the budget right now. This is really the same situation the Sox were presented with after the 2003 season with Carl. He may end up signing with someone else for less than what he would get from an arbitration case with the Sox.

mweflen
12-07-2005, 09:51 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051206sox,1,5361587.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

"I can handle everyone," Guillen said. "I can handle A.J. [Pierzynski], Carl Everett, Freddy Garcia and El Duque because I know what I want; they know what I need."

Sounds awfully present tense... is there a doins'-a-transpiring?

mccoydp
12-07-2005, 09:54 AM
I have no problem with Crazy Carl. He was streaky during the season, but so were a lot of the other guys on the team. His presence was an essential part of the Sox winning the World Series title.

wdelaney72
12-07-2005, 12:13 PM
If Carl's at bats started with him automatically at 2-strikes, I'd take him back.

Seriously, I'd only want him as a bench player. He's likely going to get a better offer with another team.

soxfanatlanta
12-07-2005, 12:22 PM
I'd like to see him back. Every team should have a guy who is way crazier than the rest; like Farmer Fran from "The Waterboy". He must have kept everybody on edge, you know?

Wherever he goes, best of luck to him!

Taliesinrk
12-07-2005, 12:34 PM
I think this is a fabulous idea. A veteran presence to help for the rook(s) in center. An experienced bat/ PH off the bench.. Why not?? Sounds good to me...

mweflen
12-07-2005, 02:31 PM
problem is it's very likely he costs too much - he'll probably get 4 or 5 mil from another team desperate for offense. (Come to think of it, I hear tell the Flubbies could use some outfielders...) in which case, who could fault him for taking it?

TheOldRoman
12-07-2005, 02:36 PM
I respect Carl as much as anyone. I would love to have him come back, but it just can't happen.
Carl can no longer play the outfield. This year he only saw 22 games in the outfield. He would play even less next year. At this point in his career, he is little more than a DH. If we were going to sign a backup DH, we might as well have kept Frank.