PDA

View Full Version : Re: Frank's premature obituaries

mweflen
12-02-2005, 12:54 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-051201morrissey,1,6603404.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051201rogers,1,6428543.column?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg022.html

What's with basically every columnist in Chicago writing like it's a sure thing Frank is gone? I thought KW was "going to have that conversation with Frank first?"

Regardless, what do you think will happen? Best guesses and/or false hopes...

mweflen
12-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Looks like most think Frank plays somewhere else in 2006. The question is, where would you like to see him most for our chances, weighed against where would you like to see him most for his chances?

Obviously, a healthy Frank in CLE or MIN is not an attractive prospect.

But do we want to see him in OAK? ar ANA?

But then, OTOH, do we want to see him suffer the indignity of playing for BAL, TB or KC?

The more I think about it, the more I see Baltimore picking him up cheap. They've parted ways with Shammy, and probably Raffy, too. They'll need a power bat with a big name, and if they can get Frank for 500k plus incentives, I don't see how they'll pass it up.

kruzer31
12-02-2005, 01:27 PM
If you are going to have a poll about what Frank Thomas is going to do, why dont you include the correct answer. Every option you have is wrong. Frank will sign with another team as a FULL time DH. I believe Frank will sign with Baltimore to be there DH. Baltimore is a delight for RH power hitters and we all know Frank covets that 500 HR mark. I think he signs a 2 year deal for 8 million with a option for a third year and will hit over 100 homers in the final three years of his career.

The Deacon
12-02-2005, 01:29 PM
If you are going to have a poll about what Frank Thomas is going to do, why dont you include the correct answer. Every option you have is wrong. Frank will sign with another team as a FULL time DH. I believe Frank will sign with Baltimore to be there DH. Baltimore is a delight for RH power hitters and we all know Frank covets that 500 HR mark. I think he signs a 2 year deal for 8 million with a option for a third year and will hit over 100 homers in the final three years of his career.

Exactly. Teams DONT HAVE PART-TIME DH'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mweflen
12-02-2005, 01:30 PM

That's pretty optimistic. I hope he gets something like this... but if he were going to, we'd probably be the ones giving it to him. I have serious doubts about his ability to play more than 75 games a year or so.

And yes, I mean you, progers0826... What's with the early Obit? :redneck

mweflen
12-02-2005, 01:36 PM

Uhhhh..... you haven't watched much baseball in the past few years, have you. In addition to Frank/Carl last year, I can think of Edgar Martinez, Erubiel Durazo, among many others.

The Deacon
12-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Uhhhh..... you haven't watched much baseball in the past few years, have you. In addition to Frank/Carl last year, I can think of Edgar Martinez, Erubiel Durazo, among many others.

The above mentioned people also play the field. Teams do not have part-time players on the bench who can ONLY DH. There are only 2 teams in the AL with full-time DHs. Cleveland and Boston.

mweflen
12-02-2005, 01:43 PM
The above mentioned people also play the field. Teams do not have part-time players on the bench who can ONLY DH. There are only 2 teams in the AL with full-time DHs. Cleveland and Boston.

Just how much field time did Carl see last year? He saw DH time and bench time, IIRC.

Edit: Carl played 22 games in the field, and 135 total. Which means he spent 27 riding the pines. Sounds like a part-time DH to me.

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2005, 01:46 PM
If Frank Thomas tries to play every day he won't last 3 months. He's going to be good for part-time at best.

The Deacon
12-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Just how much field time did Carl see last year? He saw DH time and bench time, IIRC.

He played in 22 games in the OF. In fact, the only reason Carl got playing time while Frank was around was becasue he could play the field.
The point is that Frank cannot sit on someone's bench ONLY waiting to hit every couple of days. It's not how rosters are constructed. Teams don't put part-time hitters on their rosters. Teams are hesitant to put FULLTIME hitters on their rosters (why only 2 teams actually do it). It decreases the flexibility of the team.

mweflen
12-02-2005, 01:51 PM
He played in 22 games in the OF. In fact, the only reason Carl got playing time while Frank was around was becasue he could play the field.
The point is that Frank cannot sit on someone's bench ONLY waiting to hit every couple of days. It's not how rosters are constructed.

I edited my post above to reflect Carl's stats.

If you don't think someone will pay for Frank as a PT DH, you've got another think coming.

If you think Frank can play 150 games plus, you've also got another think coming.

The Deacon
12-02-2005, 02:01 PM
I edited my post above to reflect Carl's stats.

If you don't think someone will pay for Frank as a PT DH, you've got another think coming.

If you think Frank can play 150 games plus, you've also got another think coming.

I dont think he can play 150 games. I think someone will sign him to an incentive based deal as their F/T DH and he'll breakdwon and retire.

mweflen
12-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Another question - if for some reason (which I doubt) we offered Frank arbitration, how much do you think he'd get? 1 mil? 2 mil?

Are arbitration award based on past performance? Projected future performance?

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Another question - if for some reason (which I doubt) we offered Frank arbitration, how much do you think he'd get? 1 mil? 2 mil?

Are arbitration award based on past performance? Projected future performance?Arbitration awards can be no less than 80% of the previous year's salary. Which is why there's not a snowball's chance in hell they'll offer him arbitration. Picking up his option would have been cheaper.

mweflen
12-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Arbitration awards can be no less than 80% of the previous year's salary. Which is why there's not a snowball's chance in hell they'll offer him arbitration. Picking up his option would have been cheaper.

Ah, good reason indeed not to offer arb. Obviously stacked in players' favor.

Too bad we very likely won't pick him up for league minimum with incentives. Sigh. I'll mis him...

hold2dibber
12-02-2005, 03:15 PM

No one is going to pay him to be a part-time DH. Not a chance. Someone will give him an incentive-laden deal in the hope that he'll stay healthy and be a full-time DH. What I suspect will happen, however, is that he'll get hurt and won't play a full season (I don't know if that renders him a part-time DH in your mind).

peeonwrigley
12-02-2005, 03:23 PM
I would not be surprised to see a team like Baltimore dole out about a combined $5M for the Frank-Carl tag team.

maurice
12-02-2005, 03:48 PM
If Juan Gonzalez can get a contract every year, then Thomas should be able to get one.

Taliesinrk
12-02-2005, 04:13 PM

We did when Frank was healthy last year..