PDA

View Full Version : There Deserves to be a big Salute to the White Sox 'Real' Fans

soxinem1
12-02-2005, 12:43 PM
First of all, a hearty congratulations to the White Sox and their real fans.
As one of the 9,000 who used to go to Comiskey (the First and only Comiskey) to watch Jeff Bittiger, Bill Almon, Jay Loviglio, Kenny Kravek, and others, the 'Real Fans' have a lot ot gush over. My two dreams (1. Sox win the Series in my lifetime, 2. Win before the cubs) have come true!!

But instead of wanting cub fans to root the White Sox on, I am more respectful for the 8,514 real cub fans in the world who did NOT root for them. After all, I was elated when the cubs totally blew it in 1969,84,89,98 and a White Sox fan's favorite cub season, 2003. I did not want a bunch of unknowledgeable bandwagon jumpers clogging the path just to jump on the Sox joyride.

And let's set the record straight about attendance. The White Sox were the first team in Chicago to draw 1 million, 2 million, and 2.9 million fans in a season. The fluke division title of 1984 and some swift marketing ploys have people believing wrigley is so great. But honestly, the seats stink, the outfield corners are too dark at night games, and the place smells like urine, spilled beer, and people who rarely bathe. Whoever started this characteristic that wrigley is beautiful is a total street hustler. I love old buildings as much as anyone, but honestly, can you look at wrigley as a whole (or Hole, to be more precise) and say it is beautiful? Try washing the brick down once in awhile, the place is as dreary as a funeral home. Anyone who says otherwise is blind to the facts.

And set the record about the neighborhoods: stolen cars, theft, robbery, violent cimes including (expletive), and home invasions are at triple the levels in wrigleyville than in Bridgeport for the last 30 years running. Check the stats if you don't believe it. It just doesn't get publicized as much. Maybe if people check the stats they wont be so quick to spend $1200/month on a 750sq. ft cube to live in with no street parking. Plus, 19,000 White Sox fans can get into a game more than the packed house in wrigley any day.

One thing I am more impressed with is the Sox ability to make the national press look like idiots, many of whom were calling them 'One and done' in the playoffs and making it sound like their season was a total fluke. This team had something that set them above the others: H-E-A-R-T. It was not luck, fate, curses, other teams injuries, bad umpiring, or any of that other stuff.

In other words, if you don't have the class to congratulate the Sox, that's okay cub fans, because now the pressure is on the cheap a-- tribune to produce a WS winner, and it does not look good. After all, from a business standpoint, would you 'fix what is not broken'? If I had three million idiots come see my inferior team every year what difference would it make if the cubs were 58-104 or 100-62, they'll still come because wrigley is such a great meeting place for goofs who live off their credit cards, and wonder why they have $25,000 balances at the end of the year on their Visa's.

If the so-called cubbie faithful want to get a world series caliber team, they need only do one thing: force the trib to either sell them or put a winner on the field by refusing to pay outrageous prices for crummy seats in a park that looks and smells like an alley. And how do you do this? Just stop going. By next May all the morons at the trib tower will wake up in a hurry then!

GO WHITE SOX, THE 2005 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!

mweflen
12-02-2005, 12:50 PM
dude, what's the score? :D:

Rocky Soprano
12-02-2005, 12:51 PM
dude, what's the score? :D:

You're not kidding, as much as he mentioned the Cubs.

kittle42
12-02-2005, 12:52 PM
And let's set the record straight about attendance.

See ya later.

itsnotrequired
12-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Ultimate rant.

ChiSoxLifer
12-02-2005, 12:54 PM
and enjoy the site.

mweflen
12-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Aw, I think it's a well-meaning rant, but the guy obviously hasn't done his research as to what types of rants are accepted here.

soxinem1
12-02-2005, 01:06 PM
Apparently you guys and gals do not understand the goal here. While the message is a bit long winded and mentions the cubs often, I have grown tired of the other team's 'fans' degrading of our favorite team's accomplishment and existance. Some have gone to say it means nothing, that unless you are a member of the organization, per say, the fans are secondary.

Being a former Bridgeportian (is that acceptable?) I was very appalled that these folls think the neighborhood is like Robert Taylor Homes, or something to that effect.

Well, I am just fed up with the misrepresentations. So the way I look at it, I was just defending the honor of the Pale Hose, though long winded as it was.

GO GO WHITE SOX!!

IggyD
12-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Is it me or does his Artical heading have nothing to do with the body? I didn't see too much praise about the Sox fan in there.

It is more like he need to blow off some steam that was held in way too long....

mweflen
12-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Apparently you guys and gals do not understand the goal here. While the message is a bit long winded and mentions the cubs often, I have grown tired of the other team's 'fans' degrading of our favorite team's accomplishment and existance. Some have gone to say it means nothing, that unless you are a member of the organization, per say, the fans are secondary.

Being a former Bridgeportian (is that acceptable?) I was very appalled that these folls think the neighborhood is like Robert Taylor Homes, or something to that effect.

Well, I am just fed up with the misrepresentations. So the way I look at it, I was just defending the honor of the Pale Hose, though long winded as it was.

GO GO WHITE SOX!!

The goal is not in question. I am a current Bridgeporter, and also bristle at perceptions that I live in some slum.

It's just that on this site, there are some people with a strong hatred of threads and posts dedicated to:

1. attendance
2. sox v. cubs comparison
3. preaching to the choir

So you ought to be careful, is all. :smile:

soxinem1
12-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Sure thing. The real tribute will be more precise.

Love the hawk calendar, I still have a few of them (Fisk in left, Tolleson at third).

Hangar18
12-02-2005, 01:25 PM
This is an excellent Topic. White SOX fans most definitely deserve recognition ...... for being who we are. The most vocal of all the fans, the most die-hard despite lack of media coverage, the most spirited, the most clever ...... I could go on and on. Its because of SOX fans that I accidentally stumbled on my now semi-famous saying "god bless sox fans".

Me, Patbooyah and his buddy Kevin, yelling at the top of our lungs from the RF seats at Petco towards the Sox Bullpen ...... MANSOOOOOO LEEEEEEEEEEE ! and getting smiles and laughter from Mansoo and the sox bullpen

All the SOX fans in the RF bleachers in April of 2000, who Booed a belligerent Robert Fick after the brawl, only to have him give the fans a Double-Fingered salute, only then to get a 25 beer salute shower hurled at him

To the thousands of SOX fans who somehow got Tickets to Game 4 in Houston, and were Loud louder and even loudest at times during the game,
and being heard on oblivious FOX tv crowd mikes

To that slew of SOX fans who were in the parking lot after that June of 03 game in KC after we swept the Royals, chanting and singing NaNaNaNa Hey Hey Hey, much to the chagrin of KC fans

To the Hundreds of SOX fans who braved the torrential freezing rain delay on that Sunday in June of 99, chanting and cheering, Singing NaNaNaNa HeyHeyHey, getting the attention of SOX players coming out of the clubhouse to acknowledge, and then being the only fans left after play resumed a few hours later ....

Yeah .......... were an awesome bunch of fans

IggyD
12-02-2005, 01:25 PM

Well, I am just fed up with the misrepresentations.

GO GO WHITE SOX!!

If you are from there you know how the neighborhood is away from the park, especially now that many of the original folks moved away probably to the burbs..."like you".

Me..I was from Canaryville, then Back of the Yards...you know what happened between people from those areas back in the day...you should also know how it has changed since we were young (well since I was anyway).

The point it your rant is old and tired. If you look deep enough you can find the BAD in anything...but...you can also find the GOOD. There are good and bad in all cities/towns/neighborhoods. Lets focus on winning the next WS for our team and leave the other fans to figure out why they continue to produce lack luster seasons.

mweflen
12-02-2005, 01:28 PM
All the SOX fans in the RF bleachers in April of 2000, who Booed a belligerent Robert Fick after the brawl, only to have him give the fans a Double-Fingered salute, only then to get a 25 beer salute shower hurled at him

To the Hundreds of SOX fans who braved the torrential freezing rain delay on that Sunday in June of 99, chanting and cheering, Singing NaNaNaNa HeyHeyHey, getting the attention of SOX players coming out of the clubhouse to acknowledge, and then being the only fans left after play resumed a few hours later ....

I was at these games :smile: The beer shower was SWEET. Don't know how well that would be tolerated in our post 9/11 sports world. Sigh, the good old days...

Hangar18
12-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Can you imagine if that other team wouldve won it all? There wouldve been a Bumrush by Publishers to put out a dozen books as fast as possible "saluting" their fans, A&E, CNN, ESPN undoubtedly already have pre-recorded "a-salute-to-the-fans" special for that other team. Hell, MTV would do something dedicated to their "fans". Rest assured, though noone will put out a Salute to Sox Fans .......at least we dont have to deal with them having one :D:

Tekijawa
12-02-2005, 01:41 PM
First of all, a hearty congratulations to the White Sox and their real fans.
As one of the 9,000 who used to go to Comiskey (the First and only Comiskey) to watch Jeff Bittiger, Bill Almon, Jay Loviglio, Kenny Kravek, and others, the 'Real Fans' have a lot ot gush over. My two dreams (1. Sox win the Series in my lifetime, 2. Win before the cubs) have come true!!

But instead of wanting cub fans to root the White Sox on, I am more respectful for the 8,514 real cub fans in the world who did NOT root for them. After all, I was elated when the cubs totally blew it in 1969,84,89,98 and a White Sox fan's favorite cub season, 2003. I did not want a bunch of unknowledgeable bandwagon jumpers clogging the path just to jump on the Sox joyride.

And let's set the record straight about attendance. The White Sox were the first team in Chicago to draw 1 million, 2 million, and 2.9 million fans in a season. The fluke division title of 1984 and some swift marketing ploys have people believing wrigley is so great. But honestly, the seats stink, the outfield corners are too dark at night games, and the place smells like urine, spilled beer, and people who rarely bathe. Whoever started this characteristic that wrigley is beautiful is a total street hustler. I love old buildings as much as anyone, but honestly, can you look at wrigley as a whole (or Hole, to be more precise) and say it is beautiful? Try washing the brick down once in awhile, the place is as dreary as a funeral home. Anyone who says otherwise is blind to the facts.

And set the record about the neighborhoods: stolen cars, theft, robbery, violent cimes including (expletive), and home invasions are at triple the levels in wrigleyville than in Bridgeport for the last 30 years running. Check the stats if you don't believe it. It just doesn't get publicized as much. Maybe if people check the stats they wont be so quick to spend $1200/month on a 750sq. ft cube to live in with no street parking. Plus, 19,000 White Sox fans can get into a game more than the packed house in wrigley any day.

One thing I am more impressed with is the Sox ability to make the national press look like idiots, many of whom were calling them 'One and done' in the playoffs and making it sound like their season was a total fluke. This team had something that set them above the others: H-E-A-R-T. It was not luck, fate, curses, other teams injuries, bad umpiring, or any of that other stuff.

In other words, if you don't have the class to congratulate the Sox, that's okay cub fans, because now the pressure is on the cheap a-- tribune to produce a WS winner, and it does not look good. After all, from a business standpoint, would you 'fix what is not broken'? If I had three million idiots come see my inferior team every year what difference would it make if the cubs were 58-104 or 100-62, they'll still come because wrigley is such a great meeting place for goofs who live off their credit cards, and wonder why they have $25,000 balances at the end of the year on their Visa's.

If the so-called cubbie faithful want to get a world series caliber team, they need only do one thing: force the trib to either sell them or put a winner on the field by refusing to pay outrageous prices for crummy seats in a park that looks and smells like an alley. And how do you do this? Just stop going. By next May all the morons at the trib tower will wake up in a hurry then!

GO WHITE SOX, THE 2005 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!

You'll fit in well here!

Don't forget one of these!

http://re2.mm-a1.yimg.com/image/188244565 (http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062857/K=tin+foil+hat/v=2/SID=e/l=II/R=72/SS=i/OID=6a7c29a6f06b4444/SIG=1hde3q0mc/EXP=1133635207/*-http%3A//images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fs earch%2Fimages%3F_adv_prop%3Dimages%26imgsz%3Dall% 26vf%3Dall%26va%3Dtin%2Bfoil%2Bhat%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3DFP-tab-web-t%26b%3D61&h=294&w=288&imgcurl=www.ericisgreat.com%2Ftinfoilhats%2Fkutche rside.jpg&imgurl=www.ericisgreat.com%2Ftinfoilhats%2Fkutcher side.jpg&size=12.1kB&name=kutcherside.jpg&rcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ericisgreat.com%2Ftinfoilha ts&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ericisgreat.com%2Ftinfoilhat s&p=tin+foil+hat&type=jpeg&no=72&tt=161&ei=UTF-8)

Click on the Pic... there are plenty to choose from!

mjharrison72
12-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Can you imagine if that other team wouldve won it all? There wouldve been a Bumrush by Publishers to put out a dozen books as fast as possible "saluting" their fans, A&E, CNN, ESPN undoubtedly already have pre-recorded "a-salute-to-the-fans" special for that other team. Hell, MTV would do something dedicated to their "fans". Rest assured, though noone will put out a Salute to Sox Fans .......at least we dont have to deal with them having one :D:
I felt like there was already a Salute to Sox Fans... it went all around the city, ended on LaSalle St. and 1.75 million thankful fans were there to be saluted! I don't need ESPN or any other media outlet to tell me how proud we are of our team, or that we have fans all across the country!