PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the scouts on Ryan Sweeney and others

Frater Perdurabo
12-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Randar, Daver, Rex, rdivali and others in the know,

In your opinion, and based on what you know about the prospects in the Sox minor league pipeline, how does the recent signing of Paulie to a five-year deal affect Ryan Sweeney?

Clearly the Sox have a plethora of young outfield prospects. Of course, it's almost a given that at least one (and probably more) either could fizzle out or be traded. However, first base has been mentioned as a possible eventual destination for Sweeney. With Paulie on board long-term, and having a limited no-trade clause now and 5-and-10 rights soon, first base (on the Sox, anyway) would seem to be unavailable to him. Do you share this observation?

Alternatively, might Konerko eventually be moved to DH when Thome's contract is finished to make room for Sweeney at first?

Or, does the apparent logjam at first base make Sweeney prime trade bait? Or do the Sox value Sweeney so highly that they would make another outfield prospect like Young, Owens or even Anderson expendable in a trade? For that matter, what about Rogo?

As always, any insights you can share are very much appreciated.
:smile:

Randar68
12-02-2005, 11:23 AM
In your opinion, and based on what you know about the prospects in the Sox minor league pipeline, how does the recent signing of Paulie to a five-year deal affect Ryan Sweeney?

Clearly the Sox have a plethora of young outfield prospects. Of course, it's almost a given that at least one (and probably more) either could fizzle out or be traded. However, first base has been mentioned as a possible eventual destination for Sweeney. With Paulie on board long-term, and having a limited no-trade clause now and 5-and-10 rights soon, first base (on the Sox, anyway) would seem to be unavailable to him. Do you share this observation?

This has been something I have mentioned in the past, but don't see it in Sweeney's future at this point. I have always thought being his size, with his agility, left-handedness, he could easily play a GG 1B.

That said, he has a RF-arm. Does he have a RF-bat is the question that remains to be seen. At this point, I don't see him moving to 1B in the near term. A lot rides on how Chris Young develops. If he is that 30-30 CF'er many of us project, you can afford a .300-10 guy in RF (similar applies to Anderson and being a .290-20 guy in RF or Owens in LF) if you have a lot of power at 1B/DH, IMO.

Alternatively, might Konerko eventually be moved to DH when Thome's contract is finished to make room for Sweeney at first?

Or, does the apparent logjam at first base make Sweeney prime trade bait? Or do the Sox value Sweeney so highly that they would make another outfield prospect like Young, Owens or even Anderson expendable in a trade? For that matter, what about Rogo?

I think Rogo will be dealt within the next 12-13 months unless Thome/Konerko are injured during the season.

Sweeney is a guy where about half the teams project him to be a monster, and half project him to be a no-power corner OF'er. There is a good market, but they won't deal him until 1) someone blows their Sox off, 2) They have better certainty on Anderson/Young's MLB projection.

In reality, Sweeney to 1B has been something I've never heard mentioned from the Sox themselves, so there is no reason to believe it will happen other than my idle musings, LOL!

kwolf68
12-12-2005, 04:05 PM
A future dream outfield is Brian Anderson in left, Chris Young in Center, and Ryan Sweeney in right...But those guys have to all pan out. No doubt, they are prime time prospects.