PDA

View Full Version : Rick Morrissey Couldnt be more WRONG

Hangar18
12-02-2005, 11:49 AM
His ridiculous article says Big Frank despite his numbers just wasnt appreciated as a SOX. WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG
In another case of Chicken-vs-Egg journalism, it was the Medias love of everything Cub that caused Frank Thomas to not get the respect he deserved. Idiot.

NorthSideSox72
12-02-2005, 11:57 AM
His ridiculous article says Big Frank despite his numbers just wasnt appreciated as a SOX. WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG
In another case of Chicken-vs-Egg journalism, it was the Medias love of everything Cub that caused Frank Thomas to not get the respect he deserved. Idiot.

During some of his career, Frank was indeed underappreciated. Like now, for example. But let's be honest - some of that was due to Frank's sometimes very self-centered and whining public demeanor, particularly in the middle of his career. And there were other factors of course, like the fact that he played on what was really a small-market team (that played in a large market city), and the fact that he really peaked just when the '94 strike hit.

But to say that the lack of appreciation for Frank is solely the fault of the Cubs, or of the media's love for the Cubs, is quite a stretch. I don't care for the Cubs much either, but let's try to be realistic here.

anewman35
12-02-2005, 12:00 PM

It was just a few years ago that many Sox fans booed Frank Thomas. What does that have to do with the Cubs?

Frater Perdurabo
12-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Dude, What's the Score? :D:

I beat this thread to the punch, but posted it where it belongs (unless the mods think it needs to be merged, re-named and thrown in the Roadhouse!).

Anyway, Morrissey is a tool. Joseph Goebbels would be proud.

duke of dorwood
12-02-2005, 12:24 PM
:moron

I am appalled at this type of journalism

Hangar18
12-02-2005, 12:25 PM
During some of his career, Frank was indeed underappreciated. Like now, for example.

But let's be honest - some of that was due to Frank's sometimes very self-centered and whining public demeanor, particularly in the middle of his career.

And there were other factors of course, like the fact that he played on what was really a small-market team (that played in a large market city),

and the fact that he really peaked just when the '94 strike hit.

But to say that the lack of appreciation for Frank is solely the fault of the Cubs, or of the media's love for the Cubs, is quite a stretch. I don't care for the Cubs much either, but let's try to be realistic here.

Sorry Northside, your just not reading between the lines here.
Franks "demeanor" was most times, angles blown out of proportion or quotes taken out of context, like his Jackie Robinson quote for instance. Frank Thomas, since he was a kid, always loved looking at numbers and percentages and analyzing pitches. To the media, he was ALOOF and SELFISH. Had he been a Cub, he wouldve been ASTUTE and a TEAM PLAYER. It sickened me how most of the time, Frank was allowed to be bashed in the media for trivial things. Alot of his "quotes" remember, were
all questions first asked to him by the media in the first place .........

The Small-Market mentality was more a self-imposed behaviour the SOX put on themselves. They did NOT help themselves (Reinsdorf gaffe) by behaving like this when their chief competitor 8 miles north behaved like a BIG Market team. The SOX being considered a "small" market team only happened because they ALLOWED it to happen.

If Big Frank were given the PROPS he deserved while he was in his prime .....
this wouldnt even be a topic.

Heres a prime example of cubcentric journalism. Remember when the final day to be tendered a contract had passed for Magglio Ordonez .... and he was thus allowed to be a Free Agent? The next few days, There were TONS AND TONS of glorified Magglio-is-Great, Magglio-is-superstar, Magglio-slugger, Magglio-offensively-a-force articles than when he was here!
He was Ignored big time by the media because theyd rather write about little Darren Bakers lineup ideas, The Messiahs training methods, and blowing up of baseballs.

Frank Thomas is arguably one of the best hitters of all time, and the fact that he was ignored in this town, only really says what jack-asses we have for sports media coverage

Hangar18
12-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Dude, What's the Score? :D:

I beat this thread to the punch, but posted it where it belongs (unless the mods think it needs to be merged, re-named and thrown in the Roadhouse!).

Anyway, Morrissey is a tool. Joseph Goebbels would be proud.

It is? Sorry mods if thats the case

caracascat
12-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Morrisey is also the idiot that when Cameron hit four homers against the Sox, ripped into the Sox for trading a multi-talented player with speed and power and a great fielder for a slow prodding and one-dimensional first baseman. That first baseman's name, Paul Konerko.

Anybody who has watched the Sox has known over the last ten years that Cameron had flashes of brilliance with many lapses in between(inconsistent Morrisey) whereas PK(except for one season) has been a consistent player that gets better and better.

So in my opinion Morrisey is a putz who lives for a cheap dramatic moment and can't analysis a thing. In other words, he is a ****ty and ignorant writer.

soxfan26
12-02-2005, 12:31 PM
During some of his career, Frank was indeed underappreciated. Like now, for example.

How exactly is Frank being slighted now? The Sox did not offer him a contract because there is no telling if he will be able to play next season. Should the Sox offer him $4 or $5 million just because he's been a franchise icon? I know I don't want the Sox spending money this way not for Frank and not for anyone else.

doogiec
12-02-2005, 12:43 PM
To throw a little more gasoline on the fire:

I accidentally watched Mike North's segment on the Channel 5 morning news today. North was agreeing with this column, and even stated that the Sox should not do anything special for Thomas if his career here is over, because, in North's words, "Thomas was not beloved".

Hangar18
12-02-2005, 12:54 PM
How exactly is Frank being slighted now?

Gist of the article says Frank Thomas wasnt beloved. When a guy like Augie Ojeda gets a boatload of press for being a benchplayer, you know somethings not right in Denmark. This assanine statement conveniently ignores Frank Thomas' first at-bat after coming off the disabled list and not having played in over a year. Remember how everyone in The Cell spontaneously rose to their feet for a Standing O for the big guy? That moment certainly put a lump in my throat, and Thomas later said he fought back a tear also and said that it was a special moment for him as a SOX player.
Wasnt beloved in this town .......BS
He wasnt beloved BY THE CHICAGO MEDIA.

the_valenstache
12-02-2005, 01:05 PM
This last season, I seem to remember the stadium-shaking standing ovations he received each time he stepped to the plate for several games after his return.

Perhaps the sentiment was fans scrambling to show adoration in what was likely his last year?

Maybe. There are certainly segments of baseball fans that never gave Frank his due respect because of his image and what may or may not have been an unfair rap from the media. But then there are those fans, like myself, who grew up with Hurt, preserved his Topps rookie card in one of those plastic cases with the screws, tore down MJ posters and replaced them with Frank blasting one with his back foot up, and defended him against anyone who questioned his character because I knew that I was grateful to watch the best hitter that will ever wear a White Sox uniform.

My opinion of him has never changed, but, because I am no longer that 10 year old kid that took his "official" Frank Thomas aluminum bat everywhere, I've understood why he must go and have refused to hold on to that sentimentality for the sake of the team I'll follow until death. But, I'll be the first guy standing next to his bronze statue, getting my picture taken.

SSN721
12-02-2005, 01:05 PM
To throw a little more gasoline on the fire:

I accidentally watched Mike North's segment on the Channel 5 morning news today. North was agreeing with this column, and even stated that the Sox should not do anything special for Thomas if his career here is over, because, in North's words, "Thomas was not beloved".

Mike North is truly an enlightened Sox fan.

lukesappling
12-02-2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks for reminding us that the Sox traded Cameron for Konerko. Remember how everyone freaked when Cameron hit four homers against the Sox? Well, a flash of brilliance doesn't make a career. Sometimes these reporters don't seem to follow the ebbs and flows of the team. Instead, they see one thing and pick it apart. For example, Rowand didn't have a fantastic season, but because he made some good plays agains the Yankees, and some cool plays in the World Series, he's suddenly Mr. Sox. I will miss Rowand, but lets get real, and the same can be said for Frank, Cameron and Konerko.

steff
12-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Oh look.. Henry making a mountain out of a molehill again.. :anon:

Lip Man 1
12-02-2005, 01:19 PM
I think all of you may be interested in this column today in the Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg022.html

Lip

mdep524
12-02-2005, 01:31 PM
I think all of you may be interested in this column today in the Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg022.html

Lip That is a MUCH better article than the crap Morrissey spewed today. (Although I think Couch got his facts wrong- Frank won the MVP in '93 and '94, not '92).

Hangar18
12-02-2005, 01:37 PM
That is a MUCH better article than the crap Morrissey spewed today. (Although I think Couch got his facts wrong- Frank won the MVP in '93 and '94, not '92).

Frank Also won the MVP in 2000

Hangar18
12-02-2005, 01:49 PM
This last season, I seem to remember the stadium-shaking standing ovations he received each time he stepped to the plate for several games after his return.

Perhaps the sentiment was fans scrambling to show adoration in what was likely his last year?

Actually, I took it as White SOX fans performing an ACT OF DEFIANCE, and Slapping the Chicago Media in the Face, Cheering for Thomas ......ANYWAY, despite the reams of negative paper put out by them regarding Frank. SOX fans dont believe everything they read, unlike the Sheep 8 miles north who take everything the Tribune writes as gospel.

I thought it was moving .........and comical that every at-bat last season, he was given special adoration. The Media im sure squirmed knowing the lies about SOX fans not liking Frank were unsubstantiated.

TomBradley72
12-02-2005, 01:52 PM
We need to be realistic....Frank was an awesome player when healthy...probably the best White Sox player of all time....but he had a few "self inflicted wounds" that hurt his reputation with the fans/media (ie. all but refusing to play 1B, the "Doctor's note" incident with Jerry Manuel, the shouting match in the dugout with Ventura, etc.)...there were a few years there where he was anything but the leader he could have been. In speaking with a few of his teamates over the years...the sentiment was shared by them. I see him as somewhat a tragic figure....he could have really owned the city....I think losing his father and his divorce really messed with his head for a few years. Not ripping on him...he's only human....

longshot7
12-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Franks "demeanor" was most times, angles blown out of proportion or quotes taken out of context, like his Jackie Robinson quote for instance. Frank Thomas, since he was a kid, always loved looking at numbers and percentages and analyzing pitches. To the media, he was ALOOF and SELFISH. Had he been a Cub, he wouldve been ASTUTE and a TEAM PLAYER. It sickened me how most of the time, Frank was allowed to be bashed in the media for trivial things. Alot of his "quotes" remember, were

The Small-Market mentality was more a self-imposed behaviour the SOX put on themselves. They did NOT help themselves (Reinsdorf gaffe) by behaving like this when their chief competitor 8 miles north behaved like a BIG Market team. The SOX being considered a "small" market team only happened because they ALLOWED it to happen.

If Big Frank were given the PROPS he deserved while he was in his prime .....
this wouldnt even be a topic.

Heres a prime example of cubcentric journalism. Remember when the final day to be tendered a contract had passed for Magglio Ordonez .... and he was thus allowed to be a Free Agent? The next few days, There were TONS AND TONS of glorified Magglio-is-Great, Magglio-is-superstar, Magglio-slugger, Magglio-offensively-a-force articles than when he was here!
He was Ignored big time by the media because theyd rather write about little Darren Bakers lineup ideas, The Messiahs training methods, and blowing up of baseballs.

Frank Thomas is arguably one of the best hitters of all time, and the fact that he was ignored in this town, only really says what jack-asses we have for sports media coverage

As usual, you are right.

hawkjt
12-02-2005, 02:53 PM
another media guy that has no feel for the pulse of the knowledgable hard-core sox fan who clearly love Frank.

When you look at these so-called incidents it is really quite ridiculous that they would be considered ''incidents'' at all. The media can make anything an ''incident''.

Couch mentions his public divorce as another problem- what????

Frank is so mild compared to the law-breakers,team destroyers that he gets lumped in with at times. The shuttle drill was a total misunderstanding that was cleared up when frank indicated that he had a fricking walnut sized spur removed from his ankle in the off-season. Perfectly explainable- but media did not want it to go away.

Frank- solid citizen that never embarrassed the club, greatest right-handed hitter in AL history. Not beloved? BS !! Even now these media guys suggest that Frank is on the bubble for the HOF when in most towns they would be championing the players cause as an easy first ballot guy.

maurice
12-02-2005, 02:57 PM

This sums it up nicely. The headline and article express only the feelings of the cubbie-obsessed Chicago media.

It's insufficient (and deceptive) to baldly say that Thomas wasn't appreciated . . . the fact is that he wasn't appreciated by the Chicago media. The vast majority of Sox fans love him (though a small minority were successfully brainwashed by the media).

More to the point, the Trib has reinitiated its attack on the Sox, ending the playoff truce. On a day when the editors determined that Thomas is a goner, the lead story is not a retrospective on the career of the greatest hitter in Chicago history . . . it's another negative attack. In fact, McGrath's huge-font print headline:
Little Hurt in this Goodbye
was so overly negative, that Knue omitted it from the on-line edition and went with the much less inflamatory sub-headline:
Adoration never came for Thomas despite numbers

It's clear that Sox fans are experiencing plenty of hurt at the thought of saying goodbye to Thomas.

Al Franken AA
12-02-2005, 03:56 PM

So, Ozzie the player was wrong to chastise Frank in the locker room while looking at his stats?

IMO, Frank created his own problems. Even Paulie went after him for being a jerk.

Optipessimism
12-02-2005, 06:11 PM
The Sox and Frank both will never get their due. IMO, the two possible ways the Frank situation shakes out in the media is that A) Frank comes back as a part time player, starts hitting a ton, is asked to sit, becomes somewhat frustrated and all of the sudden Frank is a crybaby again, or B) Frank is gone and the organization is criticized for letting the greatest Sox player ever leave.

It depends on the situation, but the Chicago media is like one giant journalistic chameleon that can adapt to any event and turn it around against the Sox. Of course, journalism is supposed to present different perspectives on each issue, but at least one has to be positive.

But oh well, I don't really mind being bashed by the Chicago media anymore, in fact its kind of heartwarming in a way. They hate us because they are jealous. We have the better stadium, we have the better team, we have the better record, our players have the hottest wives and coolest cars (or so I would imagine), we have more knowledgeable fans, our GM doesn't smoke crack (ok I made that one up), we are more clearly more sophisticated (we don't drink Old Style) and most importantly we have accomplished something that they have not been able to despite a consistently higher payroll in winning the World Series. What really gets me though is these East Coast people ripping us, especially that turd Dayn Perry. The Chicago media at least knows who plays on our team.

JB98
12-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Frank is hated by members of the press. That's the bottom line. I think he gets plenty of respect and appreciation from Sox fans.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't care what players say in the paper AT ALL. For years, sportswriters have indicated that Frank is a detriment to team chemistry. Team chemistry? Phooey!!! I don't give a crap about team chemistry. I want to see production, and Frank has always produced.

Sly
12-02-2005, 11:09 PM
I, for one, will/would miss Frank and I thought Morrissey missed the point with this column. I thought Couch nailed it. Yes, Frank has some rough patches, because he isn't perfect. No one is.

I'm still hoping Frank can somehow come back and receive his laurels as a Sox. Even if that means coming back to the team one or two years down the road and hitting his 500th at the Cell. Would that be sweet or what?

kevin57
12-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Frank is hated by members of the press. That's the bottom line. I think he gets plenty of respect and appreciation from Sox fans.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't care what players say in the paper AT ALL. For years, sportswriters have indicated that Frank is a detriment to team chemistry. Team chemistry? Phooey!!! I don't give a crap about team chemistry. I want to see production, and Frank has always produced.

I agree with your first paragraph but not with the second. There is no doubt whatsoever that "team chemistry" propelled the 2005 White Sox. There were genuine friendships, comarderie, and mentoring going on. Even the fact that the coaching staff had long ties with the organization helped the overall effect (I know Cora was infuriating).