PDA

View Full Version : Puke: Frank to the Twins?

It's Time
12-02-2005, 11:12 AM
:tsk:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5758905.html

pythons007
12-02-2005, 11:19 AM
no chance

The Critic
12-02-2005, 11:21 AM
If they can get him on the cheap, Frank is a decent gamble for them. He won't cost anything in trade, if it doesn't work out all they've lost is a little cash. Low risk, high possible reward for them is how I see it.
I don't want it to happen, just because of the divisional rival aspect, but if Frank can land a spot on an MLB roster, god bless him.

bobowhite
12-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Frank provides something that is desperately missing from the Twins franchise, a bona fide slugger. While I'm not thrilled that he'd be heading to an ALCD rival, I say, good for Frank. Hope you hit 52 homers and retire in style with a fourth place Twins ballclub.

Chicken Dinner
12-02-2005, 11:46 AM
The Twins are seriously considering a push for two-time AL MVP Frank Thomas, whose days with the White Sox appear to be over. A Twins official said the club has done a lot of research on Thomas in recent weeks, which comes after the club had no interest in him.
-- Minneapolis Star Tribune

TDog
12-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Frank Thomas is a cheaper proposition now, considering any demand from the Sox has diminished.

munchman33
12-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Yeah it really sucks. Frank's only realistic options are Minnesota, Cleveland, the Angels, and the Athletics. And I don't want to see him helping any of those teams.

D. TODD
12-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Yeah it really sucks. Frank's only realistic options are Minnesota, Cleveland, the Angels, and the Athletics. And I don't want to see him helping any of those teams. Out of those 4, clearly I would rather he play on the west coast then in our division. In any case I wish him well whereever he goes, if he does leave I will be rooting for him ans I hope he reaches 500 HR's.

kittle42
12-02-2005, 12:27 PM
If he ends up on any team challenging the Sox for anything, my rooting for him ends. That, of course, has nothing to do with Thomas himself.

mccoydp
12-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Please no...anyone but the Twinkies...

Lip Man 1
12-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Keep in mind something folks...the Twins play on Astro-Turf. Even as a DH could Frank's leg take the additional pounding playing on turf causes?

If he wants any chance to resume his career he'd better go to a team with a grass field....ummmmm, like say the White Sox for an incentive type deal that allows him to play once or twice a week plus PH.

Lip

mdep524
12-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Frank Thomas is a cheaper proposition now, considering any demand from the Sox has diminished.
Yeah it really sucks. Frank's only realistic options are Minnesota, Cleveland, the Angels, and the Athletics. And I don't want to see him helping any of those teams.
If he's not sold on those four teams (or they're not sold on him), maybe he is cheap enough and in small enough demand that he'll consider returning to the Sox to be a bat off the bench. He'd crack the line up every few days, against some lefties (in place of Thome) or in case of an injury to Thome or Konerko....

That's such a long shot. :(:

munchman33
12-02-2005, 01:51 PM
That's such a long shot. :(:

It is because Frank probably isn't as done as most people believe him to be. I wouldn't be surprised to see Frank hit .270 with 40 dingers and an OBP near .400 next year.

He'd be foolish to come back. There's a lot of teams that would play him everyday.

wdelaney72
12-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Keep in mind something folks...the Twins play on Astro-Turf. Even as a DH could Frank's leg take the additional pounding playing on turf causes?

If he wants any chance to resume his career he'd better go to a team with a grass field....ummmmm, like say the White Sox for an incentive type deal that allows him to play once or twice a week plus PH.

Lip

Astro-Turf was ripped out of the metrodome 2 seasons ago. The FieldTurf being used now is argued by many athletes to be softer and more forgiving than natural grass.

I still think Frank will be back in a Sox uniform.

ChiSoxIn06
12-02-2005, 07:03 PM
It saddens me to know that the only way for Frank to keep playing is to play for another AL team...Hopefully if he does not return to the Sox he chooses retirement instead.

nodiggity59
12-02-2005, 07:11 PM

Lip

I agree. If the Sox have room for him on the roster, he'll be here. The situation any other team gives him will be poor. Our roster will look like this

11/12 pitchers: MB, JG, Freddy, JC, Duque, BMac, Jenks, Cotts, Politte, Hermie, Marte, Vizcaino

9 Starters

4/5 Bench Players: Widger, Pablo, Borchard, Backup for Crede, Frank?

Basically, we need to get rid of a pitcher to keep Frank. The most likely candidates would be Duque, Hermie, or Marte given their salaries. If we go w/ 12 pitchers, Frank's return is impossible.

Taliesinrk
12-02-2005, 08:44 PM
I agree. If the Sox have room for him on the roster, he'll be here. The situation any other team gives him will be poor. Our roster will look like this

11/12 pitchers: MB, JG, Freddy, JC, Duque, BMac, Jenks, Cotts, Politte, Hermie, Marte, Vizcaino

9 Starters

4/5 Bench Players: Widger, Pablo, Borchard, Backup for Crede, Frank?

Basically, we need to get rid of a pitcher to keep Frank. The most likely candidates would be Duque, Hermie, or Marte given their salaries. If we go w/ 12 pitchers, Frank's return is impossible.

Impossible?...... No..... Improbable?... Yes...

9 Starters

4/5 Bench Players: Widger, Pablo, Willie/ another player who can play OF (Willie could provide best case scenario here because he can play both IF and CF), Frank

In order to get Frank w/ 12 pitchers I've shown how it can be done. This is an improbable, but don't forget a team with Pablo to back up 3rd last year (before Blum) won the World Series...

OzzieBall2004
12-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Rumor central on ESPN says the Twins are strongly considering signing Thomas...TIFWIW........

soxwon
12-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Frank provides something that is desperately missing from the Twins franchise, a bona fide slugger. While I'm not thrilled that he'd be heading to an ALCD rival, I say, good for Frank. Hope you hit 52 homers and retire in style with a fourth place Twins ballclub.

castillo thomas piazza garciaparra jones hunter
man that is a hell of a team- 4th place no chance

ChiSoxGirl
12-03-2005, 12:19 AM
I just saw this (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051202sox,1,4313007.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines) on ChicagoSports.com. That's also enough to make ya vomit, isn't it?!

KRS1
12-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Astro-Turf was ripped out of the metrodome 2 seasons ago. The FieldTurf being used now is argued by many athletes to be softer and more forgiving than natural grass.

I still think Frank will be back in a Sox uniform.

Tell that to Mark Bradley and his ACl.

Chisox003
12-03-2005, 12:25 AM
castillo thomas piazza garciaparra jones hunter
man that is a hell of a team- 4th place no chance
You're kidding, right?

Where would Piazza play if Thomas signed there? Unless a 2nd DH is being installed, there's no chance of that happening.

Most importantly, where is all this $$ coming from to sign all these guys?

:?:

nodiggity59
12-03-2005, 03:44 AM
Impossible?...... No..... Improbable?... Yes...

9 Starters

4/5 Bench Players: Widger, Pablo, Willie/ another player who can play OF (Willie could provide best case scenario here because he can play both IF and CF), Frank

In order to get Frank w/ 12 pitchers I've shown how it can be done. This is an improbable, but don't forget a team with Pablo to back up 3rd last year (before Blum) won the World Series...

Impossible if you want someone who can adequately back up Crede. Ozuna was a butcher at 3B last year.

Lip Man 1
12-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Delaney:

Turf is turf no matter what you call it.

Lip

Jjav829
12-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Forget the Frank Thomas-to-the-Twins rumors. The Twins say they have nothing going with the former Chicago White Sox slugger.

Link (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/columnists/13322010.htm)

Crede_Fan
12-04-2005, 12:36 PM
I hope that is true. I so do not want to see Frank in a Twins uniform.