PDA

View Full Version : Morrissey renews the Frank Hate

Frater Perdurabo
12-02-2005, 10:26 AM
Mods, I apologize if this belongs in the Roadhouse.....

Joseph Goebbels said that if you repeat a lie often enough, eventually people will accept it as the truth. Apparently that lesson in effective propaganda has been well-learnt at the Tribune Corporation.

I'm not even going to give this mediot or his paper the benefit of a link, but in today's Trib, Morrissey defecates all over Frank Thomas' legacy while trying to give the reader the impression that he's giving him a sympathetic pat on the back.

He also is (cq) the biggest pain in the patoot, non-Black Sox Division, in franchise history.

That's why many of us are struggling to find a way to gracefully and meaningfully say goodbye to him. Sometimes it feels as if we're saying goodbye to a possible Hall of Famer, and sometimes it feels as if we're saying goodbye to a bad case of prickly heat.

The mediots are trying to destroy his legacy. The Cubune doesn't want him in the Hall, and the Cub-Times and the Cub-loving national media just defer to the Cubune's slanted coverage of his career when talking about him. The Cubune knows that perception is reality, and this is the first salvo in the anti-Frank propaganda assault.

Rather than a disrespectful dirge, the Chicago media should be celebrating his steroid-free career, in which he proved himself to be one of the greatest right-handed hitters for power and average in the modern era. Instead, Morrissey (and others are sure to follow) simply chose to focus on the negative.

**** Morrissey. **** the Cubune. **** the Frank-Haters.

Next week, a story on Dybas and Ligue.

:angry:

daveeym
12-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Yeah I shook my head at that. I'm not a live and die Frank guy but all the bad things about him over the years has ALWAYS been fueled by the media rather by Frank and/or the Sox. There's also very few Frank haters among Sox fans.

Parts of that article were good and to the point but all the crap about embracing Frank, and making up for past lack of love should fall directly in the media's laps and not the fans. The fans have shown what they feel about Frank from day one and plenty of times last year as well.

bobowhite
12-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Excuse me but I believe the past tense of well-learn is well-learnt and not well-learned. The form you use would be correct for the adjectival form only.

IMHO, that is.

mjharrison72
12-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Excuse me but I believe the past tense of well-learn is well-learnt and not well-learned. The form you use would be correct for the adjectival form only.

IMHO, that is.
That IS an adjectival form... well-learned is an adjective modifying "lesson." "Learnt" is chiefly British.
Of all the grammatical perversions on this board, you're jumping on this one? :?:

My two cents on the Trib article... wasn't this predicted in the Write Tomorrow's Cubune Headline thread? The Trib recounts Frank Thomas' transgressions... in other news, water's wet, the sky is blue...

bobowhite
12-02-2005, 12:59 PM
That IS an adjectival form... well-learned is an adjective modifying "lesson." "Learnt" is chiefly British.
. ..

The clause is a dependent one in adjectival function modifying "lesson", the verbal of that clause is "has been well-learnt".

Just because the journalistic (sub-)standard is to regularize all strong verbs in English, witness the use of "pleaded" a weak form for the appropriate, "plead", the strong form, there is no reason to pawn this off on the Brits. I understand many of their journalists are bohemians as well.

(Note to editors: that 'bohemians' with a small /b/ an insult to the journalists, not 'Bohemians' with a capital /B/, the people of Bohemia.)