PDA

View Full Version : Dustin Hermanson in '06

graham5
12-02-2005, 08:31 AM
Does anyone know what the plans for Dustin Hermanson are for next season?

Is he even contracted to the team, and if so what role do people think he will be given?

I think he's a fine relief pitcher, and it would be good to have him as a back-up for Bobby Jenks in case he has problems next year.

caulfield12
12-02-2005, 08:36 AM

Is he even contracted to the team, and if so what role do people think he will be given?

I think he's a fine relief pitcher, and it would be good to have him as a back-up for Bobby Jenks in case he has problems next year.

Hermanson is signed through next year with an option for 2007.

Many are speculating about his back, as well as Joe Crede...but I think he will be much better this next spring. He has been comparing notes with Thome, Crede and the Sox training staff...Herm Schneider is one of the best in the business, I think he will be okay, and it will be like getting a new player if he can get his 93-95 MPH fastball back, instead of surviving on guts and guile down the stretch and in the playoffs. He is a great guy for the clubhouse and one of the best people you could imagine....Thome, PK, Dustin, high class individuals.

NorthSideSox72
12-02-2005, 10:16 AM

I like Hermanson a lot, but I don't think he can make it through another whole season without something being done about his back. He's not young anymore (by baseball standards), and these things don't just get better, especially with the strain of pitching. Schneider is good, but he's not a surgeon. Crede had a handful of sore days - players can work with that. Hermanson was in quite a bit of pain, and would likely make it even less far next season than this one.

I think Hermanson will likely not be on the opening day roster.

caulfield12
12-02-2005, 10:47 AM
I like Hermanson a lot, but I don't think he can make it through another whole season without something being done about his back. He's not young anymore (by baseball standards), and these things don't just get better, especially with the strain of pitching. Schneider is good, but he's not a surgeon. Crede had a handful of sore days - players can work with that. Hermanson was in quite a bit of pain, and would likely make it even less far next season than this one.

I think Hermanson will likely not be on the opening day roster.

But how much of baseball predicted David Wells would not come back after the 2001 season? Or look at the risk we are taking with Thome...and Konerko´s supposed arthritic hips than have been discussed since he was a catcher.

Crede, by the way, had two herniated disks.

NorthSideSox72
12-02-2005, 11:29 AM
But how much of baseball predicted David Wells would not come back after the 2001 season? Or look at the risk we are taking with Thome...and Konerko´s supposed arthritic hips than have been discussed since he was a catcher.

Crede, by the way, had two herniated disks.

Konerko's hip hasn't caused him to miss work for many years. Thome's elbow is non-chronic. Crede's herniated disks are healable, though possibly chronic.

Hermanson has, if I understand correctly, an actual tear in the disk. Therapy could make it temporarily workable, but it will never heal on it's own. Torn ligaments, cartilidge and disks are not capable of healing on their own like muscle tissue can.

I hope I'm wrong, mind you. I think a healthy Hermanson is a great thing for the Sox. I just don't think he'll be able to complete a season.

Lip Man 1
12-02-2005, 01:24 PM
The info that I've seen is that Dustin will continue with his daily back workout, will have the area in better shape for 2006 and that he will compete for the Sox closer's role once again.

Lip

SOXPHILE
12-02-2005, 01:43 PM
I had thought that Dustin was probably going to have back surgery in the off season, because his back wasn't going to be cured by just rest and rehab. Any word on that ? Same with Crede. Don't herniated discs require surgery ?

KRS1
12-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Hermanson is signed through next year with an option for 2007.

Many are speculating about his back, as well as Joe Crede...but I think he will be much better this next spring. He has been comparing notes with Thome, Crede and the Sox training staff...Herm Schneider is one of the best in the business, I think he will be okay, and it will be like getting a new player if he can get his 93-95 MPH fastball back, instead of surviving on guts and guile down the stretch and in the playoffs. He is a great guy for the clubhouse and one of the best people you could imagine....Thome, PK, Dustin, high class individuals.

Umm.... I might have missed something but isnt the hardest he threw last year like 92. Are you referring to previous years with the Giants?

Corlose 15
12-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Everything I read on Hermanson last season seemed to indicate that he'd go through a hellacious rehab and he expected to compete with Jenks for the closers job next year.

tacosalbarojas
12-02-2005, 02:46 PM
The info that I've seen is that Dustin will continue with his daily back workout, will have the area in better shape for 2006 and that he will compete for the Sox closer's role once again.

LipReally? I'm interested to know where that info. is coming from. Not challenging it, I just assumed the job would go to Bad Bobby, unless he really goes downhill. Like loses 18 miles off that 100 mph heater of his.

caulfield12
12-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Umm.... I might have missed something but isnt the hardest he threw last year like 92. Are you referring to previous years with the Giants?

That is how hard he threw with Wichita State...the Expos...for most of his career as a starter in the big leagues.

SoxFan76
12-02-2005, 08:12 PM
That is how hard he threw with Wichita State...the Expos...for most of his career as a starter in the big leagues.

Wow, did not know that. I see him more as a "smart" pitcher who doesn't throw hard.

And yes, I know you can be a smart pitcher and throw hard at the same time.