PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comments in Trib on roster

caulfield12
12-02-2005, 08:22 AM
Guillen, however, spoke with caution about the expectations for Anderson. The Sox's No. 1 pick in the 2003 draft hit two homers off Seattle's 19-year-old flame-throwing phenom Felix Hernandez on Aug. 26.

"I just worry about his defense," Guillen said.

Guillen was more forthcoming about Jerry Owens, who was placed on the 40-man roster and is hitting .378 in 37 games for La Guaira of the Venezuelan League.

"This kid has opened some eyes," the manager said.

In assessing his plan to move Juan Uribe and Tadahito Iguchi in the order, Guillen hopes batting second will make Uribe a more disciplined hitter while allowing Iguchi to drive in more runs from either the sixth or seventh spot.

Moving Iguchi from the second spot "will give us a very good shot to see who he really is," Guillen said.

mgonzales@tribune.com

Is OG saying he is only worried about Anderson playing good defense, like he has said in the past when Crede and Uribe were struggling on offense....or that he really is concerned about how well he will handle CF? I would assume the former, but itīs an interesting thought to ponder if you like parsing statements. Havenīt heard many criticisms of Anderson defensively....natural athlete, strong arm, gets a better, more instinctive jump on the ball than A. Rowand normally, etc.

Seems committed to moving Iguchi....it also appears as if OG thinks that Owens would be a much better second hitter in the line-up than Anderson, and that might be a major part of the thinking process coming into Spring Training.

bobowhite
12-02-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm interpeting his comments this way (and Ozzie always needs an intepreter.)

He will be placing no pressure on Anderson to perform offensively, probably batting him 8th or 9nth and allowing him to adjust to major league pitching. Ozzie wouldn't have approved the trading of Rowand if he wasn't certain that Anderson can do a solid job defensively in CF.

He wants Uribe to move up to the number two spot and to be a better, more selective hitter. Uribe was great at dropping down bunts and hitting sac flies and those are two important skills for the #2 hiter in smart ball.

Ozzie appreciates the team work that Iguchi demonstrated again and again and would like the guy to have a chance to shine. For the "team MVP" (Ozzie's words) on the World Champions not to win any trophy other than the birdcage and ring for World Championship is a travesty. Ozzie wants Iguchi to have a shot at bigger and better things. Iguchi was a middle order power guy in Japan. Now that he's seen everyone in the league at least once, Iguchi should be more effective as a power guy here.

soxfanreggie
12-02-2005, 10:15 AM
If only Japan would vote him into the all star game like they do Matsui and Ichiro every year...

bobowhite
12-02-2005, 04:40 PM
If only Japan would vote him into the all star game like they do Matsui and Ichiro every year...

Ah, but Matsui played for the Tokyo Giants, the New York Yankee$ of Japan and was a big star there. He also dates a popular actress.

Ichiro nearly hit .400 and was otherworldly in Japan. (I've been interviewed three times about the 5 games I played against him. He never got a hit while I was catching and I threw him out the one time he fielder's choiced on an attempted sac bunt and tried to steal. Then again, he's learnt to beat the weakness I saw in his swing when he was just coming out of high school.)

Iguchi is just a working-class kid who worked his butt off to learn baseball and become a star. With the Japanese equivalent of the Montreal Expos, coached by Casey Stengel mind you, he won the championship twice.

jerry myers
12-02-2005, 06:56 PM
i want to see jerry owens, is that his name?

Flight #24
12-02-2005, 09:14 PM
In the various recaps of that quote, it seems more like he's saying "I don't care about Anderson's offense, just that he play good D". So it's not that he's worried about Anderson's D, it's that all he cares about is Anderson's D.

He even says somewhere something like "If he catches it like he's supposed to be able to, he'll be fine".