PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Thome Trade....

Qdiddy
12-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Hopefully, I'm posting this in the right spot. But, I just wanted to point out a few things regarding the Thome deal. I like the deal, but then I don't because we're going to be in the same position were always in during interleague play. One of them is going to be sitting on the bench just like Frank & Paulie have been doing the last few years. I guess we'll deal with it since interleague is only 9 games out of the year. It would just been awesome to kill the Flubs in Wrigley with both of them in the lineup.

What's everyone's feeling on this?

kittle42
12-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Hopefully, I'm posting this in the right spot. But, I just wanted to point out a few things regarding the Thome deal. I like the deal, but then I don't because we're going to be in the same position were always in during interleague play. One of them is going to be sitting on the bench just like Frank & Paulie have been doing the last few years. I guess we'll deal with it since interleague is only 9 games out of the year. It would just been awesome to kill the Flubs in Wrigley with both of them in the lineup.

What's everyone's feeling on this?

My feeling is that I don't care about 3 road games.

[Yes, I know there are 6 more at NL parks, but he didn't mention those :cool:]

ilsox7
12-01-2005, 11:42 PM
My feeling is that I don't care about 3 road games.

[Yes, I know there are 6 more at NL parks, but he didn't mention those :cool:]

I hadn't really thought about it. The only time it would really matter to me is if we are back in the World Series. It will be tough to have to bench a major part of the offense. But if we are back in the Series, I am assuming our pitching will be awesome once again and it won't kill us.

beckett21
12-01-2005, 11:45 PM
No matter who is the DH, this is always going to be an issue with interleague play.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Jurr
12-02-2005, 12:21 AM
Beckett's right. You don't worry about that stuff if your pitching is carrying you and you've still got some pop in the lineup. Iguchi's going to be better with his experience, Crede has found something, and the rest of the lineup's good to go.

Look at the WS games 3 and 4. We found a way. Period.

IlliniSox4Life
12-02-2005, 01:02 AM
Well, look at it this way:

For 153 regular season games and as many as 16 playoff games, we bat Jim Thome instead of Carl Everett.

For 9 road interleague games, and at most 3 World Series games, we bat Brian Anderson instead of Aaron Rowand.

As far as offense, it's a switch I'm willing to make.

Corlose 15
12-02-2005, 01:07 AM
Weren't the Sox 7-2 at national league parks last year anyways? I don't see it as a problem.

2/3@SD
3/3@COL
2/3@CHC

And the two losses were 2-1 in SD with Hermanson blowing his first save and 4-3 to the Cubs.

Jjav829
12-02-2005, 01:20 AM
Who cares? Is anyone really fretting about not having our DH start 9 games in 2006 while we are just starting December?

Hell, it might be a good thing. Those are just a few built in off days for Thome and Konerko.

batmanZoSo
12-02-2005, 01:27 AM
I hadn't really thought about it. The only time it would really matter to me is if we are back in the World Series. It will be tough to have to bench a major part of the offense. But if we are back in the Series, I am assuming our pitching will be awesome once again and it won't kill us.

Let's get there first. :cool:

Whoever's hot plays.

Nellie_Fox
12-02-2005, 02:02 AM
This is just a flyspeck on the festering wound that is interleague play. Just do away with it. Problem solved.

In some ways, this is like the Betamax vs. VHS wars of the 80's. No DH might be the better format, but the market has spoken. The National League is the only place in baseball that doesn't use the DH. Come over to the dark side, NL!

TheOldRoman
12-02-2005, 02:19 AM
This is just a flyspeck on the festering wound that is interleague play. Just do away with it. Problem solved.

In some ways, this is like the Betamax vs. VHS wars of the 80's. No DH might be the better format, but the market has spoken. The National League is the only place in baseball that doesn't use the DH. Come over to the dark side, NL!
But don't you just think it is so traditional to watch the pitcher bat? I mean, every time I watch a pitcher stare at two fastballs down the heart of the plate and flail feudally at a third one, I smile knowing my grandpa watched the same thing.

ChiSoxLifer
12-02-2005, 02:20 AM
Weren't the Sox 7-2 at national league parks last year anyways? I don't see it as a problem.

2/3@SD
3/3@COL
2/3@CHC

And the two losses were 2-1 in SD with Hermanson blowing his first save and 4-3 to the Cubs.

It didn't hurt in the World Series either!:D:

Nellie_Fox
12-02-2005, 02:30 AM
But don't you just think it is so traditional to watch the pitcher bat? I mean, every time I watch a pitcher stare at two fastballs down the heart of the plate and flail futilely at a third one, I smile knowing my grandpa watched the same thing.What, you didn't enjoy watching Wilbur Wood and Mickey Lolich at the plate?

TheOldRoman
12-02-2005, 02:31 AM
What, you didn't enjoy watching Wilbur Wood and Mickey Lolich at the plate?
I'm a youngin'. The Big Hurt got me hooked on baseball while he was still playing firstbase.

Nellie_Fox
12-02-2005, 02:35 AM
I'm a youngin'. The Big Hurt got me hooked on baseball while he was still playing firstbase.Mine should have been teal as well. Wood and Lolich were the masters of the weak, futile swing and the walk back to the dugout.

TheOldRoman
12-02-2005, 02:41 AM
Mine should have been teal as well. Wood and Lolich were the masters of the weak, futile swing and the walk back to the dugout.
After seeing Contreras and particularly Garcia take weak, futile swings followed by the senior citizen mall-walker paced jog to first, I am very glad the AL has the DH.

oeo
12-02-2005, 08:20 AM
After seeing Contreras and particularly Garcia take weak, futile swings followed by the senior citizen mall-walker paced jog to first, I am very glad the AL has the DH.

C'mon, that's hilarious...I love watching them play NL teams just to see the pitchers bat. Would I want it for 162 games a year? No, I wouldn't but it's nice to have a little change once in awhile.

mjharrison72
12-02-2005, 11:18 AM
When I was living in D.C. last year, I lost an argument about how much more often the leadoff batter leads off in the National League. At my first Nats game at RFK, I said the only time the leadoff hitter hits first in an inning usually is the first inning. Brad Wilkerson proceeded to lead off four different innings after Nats pitchers made the third out in the previous inning.

I was humbled in the argument, and re-introduced to a style of baseball that basically plans on a certain out in the nine-spot. Traditional or not, it just seems stupid to me, not from a "excitement-home run-powerful offense-highlight reel" standpoint, but from a baseball strategy standpoint. What do teams have to gain from a pitcher batting?

Like my wife says, too, why the heck can't some of these pitchers spend more time in the batting cages and become better hitters? Don't they know they're "helping their own cause," to use the awesome NL chiche?

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2005, 01:52 PM
Wait...but in the AL we're missing out on the intricacies of the double switch!

It always cracks me up listening to people talk about this as though it were equivalent to quantum physics.

FarWestChicago
12-02-2005, 02:06 PM
This is just a flyspeck on the festering wound that is interleague play. Just do away with it. Problem solved.:thumbsup: Interleague play is an atrocity that needs to be stopped.

SouthSideHitman
12-02-2005, 02:15 PM
This is such a non-issue. You can either play both, based on the matchups and thus give both some needed rest or just play the hot hand. Even with Paulie and Thome, we're built for NL ball.

pythons007
12-02-2005, 02:29 PM
I say we stick Thome in CF during interleague play.

Theanticub
12-02-2005, 03:19 PM
What, you didn't enjoy watching Wilbur Wood and Mickey Lolich at the plate?

Nope, but Freddy was a monster up there.

Theanticub
12-02-2005, 03:21 PM
I say we stick Thome in CF during interleague play.

Nah, Put Don Cooper in CF.