PDA

View Full Version : US Cellular Field no more?

doctor30th
12-01-2005, 11:38 PM
I have a friend who works in the wireless phone industry and he told me that US Cellular is Losing alot of money and might end up being bought out by another Cell phone company in the future.

No here's my thing what happens then does it change to whoever buys the companies name (ie Verizon Wireless Field or Sprint Park) or do the White sox get to then offer the naming rights up again to another company at that time?

I really don't care too much, but "the Cell" was catchy. In the future though, I would like to see them just make the name something like US Cellular field at Comiskey Park.

On another note What company would you not mind getting naming rights and Which would you not like getting them?

Personally I would not want to see something like Comcast Park.

DumpJerry
12-01-2005, 11:41 PM
I hear there is a chewing gum company looking to put their name on something respectable.....:cool:

TheOldRoman
12-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Unless there was a special clause in the contract, whatever company buys US Cellular will own the naming rights. This has happened many times before. Bank One Ballpark just became Chase Field. Pacific Bell Park became SBC, and will be renamed within the next year.
That is the only thing I didn't like about selling the name to a telecommunications company. I knew it was only a matter of time before someone bought them out and changed the name.

voodoochile
12-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Unless there was a special clause in the contract, whatever company buys US Cellular will own the naming rights. This has happened many times before. Bank One Ballpark just became Chase Field. Pacific Bell Park became SBC, and will be renamed within the next year.
That is the only thing I didn't like about selling the name to a telecommunications company. I knew it was only a matter of time before someone bought them out and changed the name.

Sure, any asset (item of value) the company owns is transfered to the new owner when the buyout occurs. That would include a pre-paid multi-million dollar advertising contract - which is effectively what the naming rights deal is. If US Cellular erected 50 billboards in the Chicago area to advertise the company name and services, they would be property of the new company and this is no different. In fact the Sox having won the WS this year probably increases the value of those naming rights and makes the potential buyout bigger. Sox will get more national exposure next year and the name of the ballpark will too.

Edit: For the record, I think the best name would be Sprint Field. They could get Pods to do advertisements for them...:cool:

doctor30th
12-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Edit: For the record, I think the best name would be Sprint Field. They could get Pods to do advertisements for them...:cool:

Ohh how about if Verizon wireless buys it and calls it "Can you hear me now?" Field Home of the 2005 World Champs.

HotelWhiteSox
12-02-2005, 12:28 AM
TMobile please!! I know who I'd like to see replace Cusack...CZJ :drool:

SOecks
12-02-2005, 12:33 AM
TMobile please!! I know who I'd like to see replace Cusack...CZJ :drool:

Good call, except that she's married to that creepy 80 year old looking man, Michael Douglas. Back on topic, my wife works at a law firm downtown and represents US Cellular. She told me a few months ago that they were in some serious trouble and would probably be going under or being bought out soon. Fine with me because I could die a happy man if I never see or hear Joan Cusack again in my lifetime.

DrCrawdad
12-02-2005, 12:37 AM
Ohh how about if Verizon wireless buys it and calls it "Can you hear me now?" Field Home of the 2005 World Champs.

Verizon? Well, I'd like to hear Darth Vader's voice announcing the Sox.

doctor30th
12-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Verizon? Well, I'd like to hear Darth Vader's voice announcing the Sox.

Yeah when they play the Red sox he could say "before I was just a student, but now I am the master."

TheOldRoman
12-02-2005, 12:51 AM
Good call, except that she's married to that creepy 80 year old looking man, Michael Douglas. Back on topic, my wife works at a law firm downtown and represents US Cellular. She told me a few months ago that they were in some serious trouble and would probably be going under or being bought out soon. Fine with me because I could die a happy man if I never see or hear Joan Cusack again in my lifetime.
Im sure one of the bigger companies will buy them out before they go under. I wouldn't mind if USC died off without being purchased because that would enable the Sox to find the perfect fit for a name. Instead of taking the default name of the big company and becoming Cingular Field, Verizon Park, Nextel Park, etc, they could take a Chicago name like Sears Field, LaSalle Park, or Oprah Field. Also, the Sox would definately get more money for the naming rights if they were to negotiate a new deal now.

Nellie_Fox
12-02-2005, 12:52 AM
...my wife works at a law firm downtown and represents US Cellular. She told me a few months ago that they were in some serious trouble and would probably be going under or being bought out soon.Why do people not grasp business ethics? If your job gives you knowledge about a person or company, you're really not supposed to be out running your mouth about it.

gowhitesox
12-02-2005, 12:54 AM
I really don't care too much, but "the Cell" was catchy. In the future though, I would like to see them just make the name something like US Cellular field at Comiskey Park.
.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, "the cell" was a good name. With all these corperate buy outs, I figured it was going to happen sooner or later. That's the trouble with coperate names they keep selling out or are bought out. I hope it doesn't change.

RealMenWearBlack
12-02-2005, 01:01 AM
Does anyone know what this would do to my contract with U.S. Cellular? Do I get the same rates as before?

doctor30th
12-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Does anyone know what this would do to my contract with U.S. Cellular? Do I get the same rates as before?

Yes until you sign another contract. But for further advise consult www.phonescoop.com (http://www.phonescoop.com)

SOecks
12-02-2005, 01:09 AM
Why do people not grasp business ethics? If your job gives you knowledge about a person or company, you're really not s upposed to be out running your mouth about it.

Wow, I didn't know it was some big huge secret. Next time I make a post, I'll make sure to run it by you first to get your approval...:rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
12-02-2005, 01:56 AM
Comiskey Park was good enough for 80 years and it's good enough right now.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
12-02-2005, 02:08 AM
Wow, I didn't know it was some big huge secret. Next time I make a post, I'll make sure to run it by you first to get your approval...:rolleyes:Don't run it past me, run it past the head of your wife's law firm. You simply don't discuss the details of your clients' business outside the office. Period. Roll your eyes all you want.

Comiskey Park was good enough for 80 years and it's good enough right now.Tell it.

TheOldRoman
12-02-2005, 02:09 AM
Comiskey Park was good enough for 80 years and it's good enough right now.

Lip
Comiskey Park died in 1990. New Comiskey was pretty awful, and I don't like sharing park names, anyway. They should have at least given it a different name from a historic White Sox character. There should have only been one Comiskey Park. The changes to USCF since 2000 are like night and day. I have no problem calling it "the Cell" because I realize that it wouldn't be nearly as great without the money for renovations.

Nellie_Fox
12-02-2005, 02:23 AM
By the way, allow me to direct your attention to post #13 in this thread. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17057&highlight=Pac+Bell)

Stroker Ace
12-02-2005, 03:31 AM
They should have at least given it a different name from a historic White Sox character. Frank Thomas Field has a nice ring to it.

hose
12-02-2005, 07:22 AM
US Cellular is still a better name than Vodaphon.

I'm not sure if Vodaphon didn't merge and change names , you need a score card to keep track.

Hangar18
12-02-2005, 08:43 AM
I dont know where these rampant rumors start ............ but we did get something great out of the deal....... New Roof, Green Seats, Fan Deck,
changed bullpens. Thanks Us Cellular

Frater Perdurabo
12-02-2005, 09:18 AM
I dont know where these rampant rumors start ............ but we did get something great out of the deal....... New Roof, Green Seats, Fan Deck, changed bullpens. Thanks Us Cellular

Great post!

:bandance:

EastCoastSoxFan
12-02-2005, 09:37 AM

"He won't get ooooofffff!"
<< walks over to slide >>
"Okaaaaayyyyy, I think you're turn is uuuuup....."

Sorry, had to get that in...

South Side Irish
12-02-2005, 09:38 AM
...they could take a Chicago name like Sears Field, LaSalle Park, or Oprah Field. Also, the Sox would definately get more money for the naming rights if they were to negotiate a new deal now.

You actually bring up a real good point. If the opportunity presents itself, I would much rather see the WS sell the naming rights* to a Chicago business. Something like Sears or LaSalle are perfect. What other local corporations could be tied into a new Sox Park name?

Marshall's Field (brings too many thoughs of Eminem to mind, though)
Boeing Ballpark (they're have some financial troubles, though, aren't they?)
All-State Field (hey, All-State even sounds athletic, like "All-State Running Back...")

Kraft, Caterpillar, and Brunswick (Cub fans would love that, wouldn't they?!) are a few other businesses that I can't really come up with names for. Would Harris Bank want more exposure? That'd be a conflict with LaSalle's sponsorship, though.

What else might work?

Baby Fisk
12-02-2005, 09:58 AM
Quite simply:

Sox Park. :thumbsup:

Or, if ownership can't part with a corporate sponsor:

Sox Park, presented by [insert corporate name].

samram
12-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Don't run it past me, run it past the head of your wife's law firm. You simply don't discuss the details of your clients' business outside the office. Period. Roll your eyes all you want.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Furthermore, if your spouse does leak something to you, don't put it on a message board- what if one of her bosses posts on here? It's her responsiblity for telling you, but you don't have to just go shouting it to the rest of the world.

Fenway
12-02-2005, 10:45 AM
It is no secret that US Cellular is in trouble anybody who reads the WSJ knows it.

US Cellular gets killed in roaming agreements in markets it is not in and that is most US major cities. For example is you have USC and you are in Boston you are roaming on Sprint..BUT a Boston Sprint customer in Chicago is on Sprints network...in other words US Cellular gets very little revenue from customers on other networks.

If and when they are sold, the most likely buyer is Sprint. Both carriers use CDMA ( not GSM ) and Sprint has been buying CDMA regional players as they more spectrum on CDMA because in another 2 years all NEXTEL customers will be switched to the Sprint PCS network and then Sprint plans to sell off NEXTEL's spectrum to help pay for the merger.

We had a case here with the Bruins/Celtics arena changing names. It was orginally the SHAWMUT CENTER but even before the building opened Shawmut Bank was bought by Fleet. When Fleet was bought by Bank of America, BoA declined the option to keep their name on the building and it is now TD Banknorth Garden which is a Toronto based bank.

Baby Fisk
12-02-2005, 11:03 AM
We had a case here with the Bruins/Celtics arena changing names. It was orginally the SHAWMUT CENTER but even before the building opened Shawmut Bank was bought by Fleet. When Fleet was bought by Bank of America, BoA declined the option to keep their name on the building and it is now TD Banknorth Garden which is a Toronto based bank.
Wonky bank mergers/takeovers/purchases is also why the Carolina Hurricanes play in the RBC Center (RBC = Royal Bank of Canada). :?:

SOecks
12-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Don't run it past me, run it past the head of your wife's law firm. You simply don't discuss the details of your clients' business outside the office. Period. Roll your eyes all you want.

It's hard to make out exactly what you're saying from up there on your high horse, but I think I got the main points. You could have just sent me a PM and not made such an effort to hijack the thread. First of all, I never mentioned ANY details of anything as you seem intent on implying. I ONLY mentioned they were in "trouble" which is public record and easily found if you just go to trusty google.com which I'm sure you didn't do because you were too busy trying to repremand me. This is my last post on the subject, so you can enjoy having the final word. Have fun with it...:rolleyes: Back on topic again, I'd really like it to be Sox Park (at corporate name field) or something like that.

SOXintheBURGH
12-02-2005, 11:32 AM
Wonky bank mergers/takeovers/purchases is also why the Carolina Hurricanes play in the RBC Center (RBC = Royal Bank of Canada). :?:

They have banks in Canada? I thought you people stored you valuables in stuffed moose and yaks?

Iwritecode
12-02-2005, 12:04 PM
My only hope is that if they are bought out they'll quit trying to offer crappy phones to life-long customers and let me buy the phone that I really want...

WestSideWhiteSox
12-02-2005, 12:06 PM
While most of us understand the benefit U.S. Cellular is currently providing by slapping their name on our ballpark, we have to hope at some point down the road for a more "permanent" (not to mention better-sounding) ballpark name. The Sox are the most ethnically diverse group of champions ever assembled (front office as well as on the field), and embody the admirable zest of the city in which they play. Assuming they succeed in turning the baseball establishment on its head, and someday relinquish the need for naming rights, what do you think they should eventually name the ballpark?

A few initial thoughts, both good and bad:

White Sox Park (straight-forward and classic)
Comiskey Park (but what does old Charlie have to do with the new building?)
Reinsdorf Field (need a couple more rings from JR to crown him with that though)
My favorite would be simply: 35th & Shields. Isn't that what most of us call it anyway? It's got a simple swagger to it, and how cool would that moniker look on the CF scoreboard?!

Here's to dreaming of that special day...

anewman35
12-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Assuming they succeed in turning the baseball establishment on its head, and someday relinquish the need for naming rights, what do you think they should eventually name the ballpark?

Ha. What do you think the odds are that the team will ever pass up a few million dollars a year? With the possible exception of a temporary name if U.S. Cellular goes out of buisness or something, I can't imagine the park ever again not having a coporate name.

MUsoxfan
12-02-2005, 12:10 PM
There will never again be a non-corporate name to the field. When U.S. Cellular merges with another company (as all wireless companies and banks eventually do) it will be that company's name on the facade at 35th & Shields

Frater Perdurabo
12-02-2005, 12:10 PM
The ultimate insult would be if the Tribune bought the naming rights and called it "Cubune Park." (Shhhhh! Don't tell Hangar! He might have a coronary!)
:redneck

downstairs
12-02-2005, 12:12 PM
There will never again be a non-corporate name to the field.

There will never again be a non-corporate name to ANY field. The old hold-outs may remain non-corporate (Yankee, Fenway, etc.) for a long while, but they'll fold too.

Its free money, fer crissakes!

Jerko
12-02-2005, 12:12 PM
IT will be something like 9th 5th bank field of Chicago. What would come after that? 10th 5th bank? 1st 6th bank? The possibilities are endless if you start using numbers. :rolleyes:

downstairs
12-02-2005, 12:15 PM
By the way... regardless of where you fall in the corporate naming debate, you have to admit that the stupidest thing a team could do is name its stadium after a corporation and get NO MONEY for it.

There's only one team I can think of that's done this, and they're 8 miles north of US Cellular.

NorthSideSox72
Never going to happen. The park will always have a corporate name.

But if by some very slim chance the Sox decided to give up the cash and give the park a meaningful name, I think there is an obvious answer:

Veeck Park

:worship:

Frater Perdurabo
What happens if the consolidation wave consumes all the banks and the phone companies?

We'll have 15 different "Bank of the United States Fields," 12 different "AT&T Parks" and 27 "Standard Oil of New Jersey Arenas."

:rolleyes:

BNLSox
12-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Money is Money. Don't be suprised if you're grabbing a beer in line at Tampax Field.... ick.

Although Victoria's Secret Field sounds pretty cool.

downstairs
12-02-2005, 12:24 PM
What happens if the consolidation wave consumes all the banks and the phone companies?

We'll have 15 different "Bank of the United States Fields," 12 different "AT&T Parks" and 27 "Standard Oil of New Jersey Arenas."

:rolleyes:

I believe this has happened a bunch of times (Chase/Bank One for example).

They just name them Chase Stadium, Chase Field, Chase arena, blah blah blah...

I just can't wait until we see HyperGlobalMegaCorporation Field.

areilly
12-02-2005, 12:33 PM
By the way... regardless of where you fall in the corporate naming debate, you have to admit that the stupidest thing a team could do is name its stadium after a corporation and get NO MONEY for it.

There's only one team I can think of that's done this, and they're 8 miles north of US Cellular.

Wrigley Field was actually named for the original owner (who was the same Wrigley that Wrigley Co. was named after).

itsnotrequired
12-02-2005, 12:57 PM
I just can't wait until we see HyperGlobalMegaCorporation Field.

I'm holding out for FlanCrest Field.:D:

Fenway
12-02-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm holding out for FlanCrest Field.:D:

I really want Yahoo to sponsor a stadium

YAHOO FIELD!!!!!

Dolly
12-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Although Victoria's Secret Field sounds pretty cool.Ha, then we could shorten it to Vic's (kinda sounds like Veeck's) Secret, which would also work well with "Under the Radar" too! :tongue:

The Critic
12-02-2005, 01:23 PM
I quickly got used to calling it US Cellular, but if they change names again, I'll probably just call it Sox Park no matter what name they use. It's not like it matters what I call the place, the corporate name is gonna be on the building anyway.

Deuce
12-02-2005, 02:22 PM
I just call it Sox Park. I don't care what the sign says out front. I also call the home of the Northwestern Wildcats Dyche Stadium and not Ryan Field.

I want Mags back
12-02-2005, 05:31 PM
As far as giving the naming rights to another curent Sox sponsor

Lasalle Bank Park-i think that of all our sponsors, none has the reprersentation of Chicago that Lasalle does. and their new logo matches the green seats ComEd/ Exelon would be ok too. You need to have it be a chicago company, thats why Ive never heard a complaint about the United Center.

Max Power
12-02-2005, 05:48 PM

YAHOO FIELD!!!!!

I believe Springfield is the home of "Historic Yahoo Search Engine Arena."

I just say "Comiskey Park." That worked for the first 20+ years of my life, and I'm too old to change now. :smile:

Brewski
12-02-2005, 06:40 PM
It's too bad Curtiss Candy Company is no longer based in Chicago (formerly the candy bar capital of America). We could wind up with Butterfinger Field.

bigfoot
12-02-2005, 07:01 PM

YAHOO FIELD!!!!!

Ask and ye shall receive.....http://photobucket.com/albums/y148/ElCanguro/Fukuoka/th_27d677e9.jpg (http://photobucket.com/albums/y148/ElCanguro/Fukuoka/?action=view&current=27d677e9.jpg)

The Fukuoka "Yahoo" Dome

Professor
12-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Why do people not grasp business ethics? If your job gives you knowledge about a person or company, you're really not supposed to be out running your mouth about it.

Ethics? Where do you live? If you haven't noticed, this word has been nixed from our vocabulary. Self-interest is the new golden rule.

IlliniSox4Life
12-02-2005, 07:39 PM
My favorite would be simply: 35th & Shields. Isn't that what most of us call it anyway? It's got a simple swagger to it, and how cool would that moniker look on the CF scoreboard?!

I like the name too, it's unique and emphasizes how it's a part of the community.

What about getting the city to buy the naimg rights and naming the field Pulaski Park, Daley Field, O'Leary's Barn? I mean, those aren't great names, but I'm sure something better could be thought of, but I would much rather have the city of Chicago pimping itself on the side of the stadium then some company. Unfortunately it's not really a good business plan to advertise your city to people who already live there.

And just a thought. Couldn't a company publicize the heck out of the fact that they were sponsoring a stadium but not changing the name? I would change banks in a second if some bank bought the naming rights and changed the name to Sox Park or something like that. A company who understands how important something like that is to fans is a company I want to do business with. Granted, this wouldn't work everywhere, but it's just a thought that probably makes very little business sense.

Hendu
12-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Ethics? Where do you live? If you haven't noticed, this word has been nixed from our vocabulary. Self-interest is the new golden rule.

Maybe so, but employers can still fire employees for violating confidentiality agreements.

Anyways, back to the topic. I just hope the stadium doesn't end up being named after Us Cellular's parent company: "Telephone and Data Systems Field" doesn't have the same ring to it.

If Virgin Mobile gets the naming rights, on the other hand...now that would be funny. :cool:

doctor30th
12-02-2005, 08:24 PM
I forgot to mention its no wonder US Cellular loses so much money. In Bloomington, IL the bought the naming rights to to the New Arena Football teams ...well Arena and pepsi bought the parking deck rights so we are going to have US Cellular Arena down here with the Pepsi Parking Deck.

This is also something that isn't wanted but we have a very Dailey-ish mayor and city council who still amazinly pass alot of crap that no one wants.

TheDarkGundam
12-03-2005, 12:26 AM
How about "CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet Field"

MrRoboto83
12-03-2005, 07:48 AM
I hear there is a chewing gum company looking to put their name on something respectable.....:cool:

Hubba-Bubba Park?

white sox bill
12-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Maybe USCell will sell out to the manufactors of Viagra. Viagra Park--hey we could bring back the "Get it up" guy as offcial spokesman!:smile:

Frater Perdurabo
12-03-2005, 10:20 AM
I too would like a Chicago-based company on the stadium. But not just any company.

"Mrs. Fields" Field just doesn't sound right. Sears Park is just average. LaSalle Bank Park is OK, but not great. Waste Management Park is a non-starter. The Tribune would have a field day with that one.

No, we need a company in which all Americans can take pride. Someone who can't be bought out. Also, they have to be the last American company remaining in their industry. Better yet, a company whose only global competitor can't buy them out because they are a publicly-financed consortium, not a corporation. That's it, we have a winner!!!

:supernana:BOEING FIELD :supernana:

Of course, the Sox would just have to settle that minor matter of errant, Seattle-bound aircraft attempting to land at 35th and Shields...

Then again, we'd never have a problem arranging a flyover....

:D:

Steelrod
12-03-2005, 10:35 AM
I love this inside information!
For what it's worth, US Cellular is listed on the American Stock Exchange, and it's current price is $51.65 per share.
If your sure it's going to zero, let me know so I can refinance my house and sell short a large number of shares.
Probably make enough to buy a team!! lol:supernana:

bigfoot
12-03-2005, 12:43 PM
Maybe USCell will sell out to the manufactors of Viagra. Viagra Park--hey we could bring back the "Get it up" guy as offcial spokesman!:smile:

Well..........We've always said that our White Sox teams "play hard"!

Oh, that was too easy.

MrRoboto83
12-03-2005, 01:55 PM

Oh, that was too easy.

That reminds me of a Dr. Domento show song "Viagra in the Water"

RallyBowl
12-03-2005, 02:39 PM

Oh, that was too easy.

Yeah, they don't go down easy, they're real stiff competition.

slavko
12-03-2005, 03:01 PM
I love this inside information!
For what it's worth, US Cellular is listed on the American Stock Exchange, and it's current price is $51.65 per share.
If your sure it's going to zero, let me know so I can refinance my house and sell short a large number of shares.
Probably make enough to buy a team!! lol:supernana:

What a shareholder winds up with depends on the terms of the buyout, but I wouldn't be a buyer of the stock right now. The acquiring company would acquire all rights (naming) and obligations (cash owed Sox from original agreement) as well. A bankruptcy would be another story. USC could invalidate future obligations if it went that route before being acquired. Ask a better "lawyer" than I.

mrs. hendu
12-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Hmmm no that I actually got used to calling Sox park "the cell"...
But whatever the name of the field- I don't care b/c it's home of the 2005 Worlds Series Champions!!!!!! :D:

Fenway
12-03-2005, 03:22 PM
I *knew* their market areas were limited but USC is pretty limited to rural areas and cows don't use cell phones.

http://www.uscc.com/uscellular/SilverStream/Pages/r_city.html?call=17

ilsox7
12-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Wow, I didn't know it was some big huge secret. Next time I make a post, I'll make sure to run it by you first to get your approval...:rolleyes:

Uh, you do realize that if someone were to figure out who you are (probably wouldn't be so difficult) that what your wife did is actually possible grounds for probation, suspension or disbarment, right? It's unlikely, but why even risk it? Just plain stupid.

woodenleg
12-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Well, I hope it stays 'the Cell'. If we're going to have a corporate name, it should be funny for so many reasons.