PDA

View Full Version : Still Ribbing Cub Fans?

Red Barchetta
12-01-2005, 09:39 PM
I can't help it. My brother-in-law is a die hard Cub fan and I have been messing with him pretty bad since our WS winner! I have put SOX World Series champion bumper stickers and license plate frames on his truck and car plus other little jokes.

For Christmas I plan to buy him a Cubs T-shirt with "Wait Until Next Century" on the back. Pretty timely considering they are quickly approaching their 100th anniversary since their last WS win.

Any other ideas?

CubsfansareDRUNK
12-01-2005, 09:42 PM
these threads belong in "whats the score"

Al Franken AA
12-01-2005, 10:10 PM
I don't live in Chicago, so I'm wondering if the Cub fans were more congratulatory or angrier than ever?
Were most of them at least pulling for a championship for the City of Chicago?

gobears1987
12-01-2005, 10:15 PM
I have one thing to say to Flub fans

elrod
12-02-2005, 12:23 AM
I don't live in Chicago, so I'm wondering if the Cub fans were more congratulatory or angrier than ever?
Were most of them at least pulling for a championship for the City of Chicago?

Most Cub fans I know up in Evanston were pulling for the Sox. Only a very small minority weren't, and they were usually embarrassed to admit that they were rooting against the Sox. There was such a buzz in the media about the Sox you'd have to feel like you were rooting for Satan if you didn't at least hint that you wanted the Sox do win.

SOecks
12-02-2005, 12:40 AM
When the Sox made the playoffs I promised my friends and family that if they won it all this year, I'd never insult or harass any Cubbie fans about our Championship. Each game we won, I stood by my promise even though Cub fan friends were ripping on me that we would choke, that we weren't talented enough, that we were "cursed". To this day I still haven't rubbed any Cub fan's nose in it (unless they provoke an altercation of course). It has been pretty nice actually. No longer am I angry, bitter, etc and don't care to push my joy on any Cub fans or rip on their pathetic "team". They'll get a lashing if they start with me, but other than that everything has been coming up roses since the White Sox World Championship. All is well in the world of S...O...Ecks............................

DSpivack
12-02-2005, 12:42 AM
Most Cub fans I know up in Evanston were pulling for the Sox. Only a very small minority weren't, and they were usually embarrassed to admit that they were rooting against the Sox. There was such a buzz in the media about the Sox you'd have to feel like you were rooting for Satan if you didn't at least hint that you wanted the Sox do win.

I did not do the same in 2003, and was villified for it.

MUsoxfan
12-02-2005, 12:46 AM
I will not continue to **** with Cub fans. They're suffering their pain as we would if they had won the World Series. I hate the Cubs as much as anyone, but I have friends that root for that team that were at a low point and some still are. I don't want to make them feel any worse. A small part of me wants them to feel as happy as I did on that October evening somewhere in the distant future

hsnterprize
12-02-2005, 07:17 AM
I confess I've done my share of ribbing considering some members of my wife's side of the family are Cubs fans. In fact, a cousin of hers and her husband recently held a 1st birthday party for their son. The parents are Cubs fans, and one of the gifts the boy received was a White Sox World Champions T-shirt. I didn't see the actual gift being opened, but my wife told me the place was a laughing riot when the parents discovered what it was.

I told the grandfather, "There's nothing that says 'I love you' more than a White Sox World Championship T-shirt." He said he wouldn't acknowledge it, and he'd burn the shirt. Well, at least he's being honest about it. Other Cubs fans at the party I talked to were pretty fair and knowledgable about their team vs. the Sox' success, so they weren't hard to talk to at all.

Last night, I was working at a movie theater for a private screening for a new Jim Carrey movie coming out. One of the people with me was a die-hard Cub fan. He said he didn't watch the World Series...let alone root for the Sox. I told him that was fine because no matter how much you don't like what's going on, you can't take away the fact the Sox are champions. You don't have to like it...you just have to accept it.

I don't begrudge ANYONE who feels "sour grapes" about the Sox winning it all. It's only partially true when people say this was a "win for Chicago" because even though it was a Chicago team who won the Series, a lot of these "baseball" fans who are saying this is a win for the whole city would be a LOT happier if it were the Cubs celebrating a title rather than the Sox. I just tell Cubs fans to just face it, be honest about it, and move on. The "hype" that helped propel the Cubs to "national superstar status" only works for so long when their south-side rivals are hoisting the hardware, and not a "city attendance championship".

mrwag
12-02-2005, 09:02 AM
I just got this from a fellow Sox fan. It's great! My Cub fan friends didn't seem to find the humour for some reason.

pythons007
12-02-2005, 09:13 AM
I just got this from a fellow Sox fan. It's great! My Cub fan friends didn't seem to find the humour for some reason.

I just sent this to all my Cub fan friends. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I thought that was hilarious.

SOXPHILE
12-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Anyone having second thoughts about giving Cub fans the hard time they all deserve, just think of people like this:

http://670thescore.com/graphics/pic_sm_mike_murphy.jpg (http://670thescore.com/onair/mike_murphy.shtml) :santo :woo-woo

and remember that they ALL deserve all the ridicule and scorn that can be heaped onto them. And remember: THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS. Always be sure to remind them of that, in case they forgot.

mrwag
12-02-2005, 01:32 PM
I just sent this to all my Cub fan friends. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I thought that was hilarious.

You are quite welcome! I had to share this.

Red Barchetta
12-02-2005, 01:47 PM
After reading the responses, I think it's time to stop and just simply display the confidence that only a WS winner can possess. Usually, I don't care what the Cub fans think, however my brother-in-law had this coming because I did not hear the end of it after their near miss to the World Series two years ago. He kept squawking that the Cubs still went deeper into the playoffs and were one game away, etc. etc. I guess that argument is over! SOX PRIDE!:smile: