PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Pablo

Gammons Peter
12-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Why all the talk that we need to find a backup 3rd baseman, I like Pablo....and he's dirt cheep

RedPinStripes
12-01-2005, 08:41 PM
What if he's hurting? Need more then 1 bench guy for the infield.

delben91
12-01-2005, 09:20 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with Pablo at 3rd. However, if Crede's back acts up enough for a DL stint, we'll need another backup infielder that can play third, or someone to fill in in the middle of the diamond with Pablo taking over third.

I don't think Josh Fields would be ready for a call up in that situation, so why not get another guy that can play 3rd so that Crede can get enough rest to hopefully avoid the DL?

I for one love Bill Mueller and think he'd be perfect for this role. Don't know if he'd sign someplace he knew he wouldn't start though. Also, might be better options out there, I admit to not exactly scouring the free agent list.

Banix12
12-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Nothing is really wrong with Pablo, I thought he looked good in his second stint when Crede went down with the hand injury. I think a lot of people here are worried about Crede's back and just don't want Ozuna as a possible long term backup solution.

As I recall, even Ozzie doesn't like to play Ozuna more than a few days in a row because he believes he loses effectiveness in the field and as a hitter if he plays everyday so if he did become a long term backup I think the sox would still need an extra infielder, perhaps one who could even play a game or two in the OF.

I personally think Mueller is a pipe dream, a number of teams would have him start and a few of them could be contenders like the Twins. I would suggest someone like Keith Ginter from Oakland or Ty Wigginton from Pittsburgh. They are already utility men, they both have some power and should come at a reasonable price.

Lip Man 1
12-02-2005, 12:47 AM
There is a reason Ozuna has been a back up his entire career. He simply doesn't have the talent to take over a position and produce on a long term basis. The Sox obviously have some concerns about Crede's health (and well they should given it's a back issue) and appear to be trying to be proactive, which is what the best organizations always do.

Lip

SSN721
12-02-2005, 06:01 AM
Although Pablo did improve as the year went on, he is still someone that makes me nervous playign third. I dont think there is anything wrong with him, just as stated by others posters, be nice to have a more legitimate 3rd baseman to backup Crede and playa lot of games in a row if he gets hurt. I tend to agree with Banix as well, we would be very lucky to get Mueller as I think he could go to other decent teams and start and I am sure he woudl prefer that to the role he woudl have ont his team. As much as I would love to get him.

Hangar18
12-02-2005, 08:40 AM
I dont mind Pablo playing 3rd on a limited basis, he did much better than expected. Hes not a starter though ........

infohawk
12-02-2005, 08:48 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with Pablo at 3rd. However, if Crede's back acts up enough for a DL stint, we'll need another backup infielder that can play third, or someone to fill in in the middle of the diamond with Pablo taking over third.

I don't think Josh Fields would be ready for a call up in that situation, so why not get another guy that can play 3rd so that Crede can get enough rest to hopefully avoid the DL?

I for one love Bill Mueller and think he'd be perfect for this role. Don't know if he'd sign someplace he knew he wouldn't start though. Also, might be better options out there, I admit to not exactly scouring the free agent list.
I would love to get Mueller for a utility role because I believe that the key for 2006 could very well be depth. Depth helped our pitching staff, especially the bullpen, in 2005. If Joe might have some back issues, I'd hate to lose him for an extended period without a true third baseman to back him up.