PDA

View Full Version : Shameless book plug ...

progers0826
12-01-2005, 07:53 PM
... and by a Tribster, no less.

Hey there. Having taken my lumps here through the years, I can say I've always enjoyed the exchange (well, almost always). Anyway, your passion and willingness to sweat the small stuff brings me back to the site all the time, although I'm never quite sure if it's appropriate to post. But this time it just seems dumb for me not to pass along something that could be of interest: I've written a hard cover book of about 300 pages on the 2005 Sox and the historic October run entitled "Say It's So" -- how they were put together; how they came together. WSI and its Tribune boycott effort merits a mention in there somewhere. Anyway, it will be in bookstores in the spring but the publishers (Triumph Books with, yes, the Tribune) have sent the first edition to the printers on a schedule that will make it available for the holidays. It costs $24.95 and can be ordered through Triumph at 800-222-4657. I am told shipping will begin about Dec. 12. It is also expected to be available at the Tribune store on Michigan Ave on about Dec. 15. All I've seen myself is the jacket, but I think it will do the amazing season justice. You guys, as always, will decide for yourself, but I wanted to let you know it's available. Thanks -- Phil Rogers.

Realist
12-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up and congratulations on the book, but I believe the term is Cubunester. :redneck

The Deacon
12-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Even though you work for the Trib, you're still the best baseball writer in Chicago. Looking forward to the book!

delben91
12-01-2005, 08:08 PM
For those of us out-of-towners that will likely be searching Amazon.com, what's the title?Always enjoy your viewpoint Phil, and thanks for the heads up!

cheeses_h_rice
12-01-2005, 08:25 PM
For those of us out-of-towners that will likely be searching Amazon.com, what's the title?Always enjoy your viewpoint Phil, and thanks for the heads up!

I believe it'll be called Somber October.

:)

progers0826
12-01-2005, 08:28 PM
I just realized I forgot to include the title (you can tell I'm new to this). It's "Say It's So.'' ... and if anyone orders that would be good to know because Triumph's 800 number is also selling the Tribune picture book, "Believe It.'' I'm going to see if the kind Dave will help me amend the original post to include the title. Thanks again.

hose
12-01-2005, 08:28 PM
Phil you might want to mention the title of the book.:D:

When I placed my order the girl asked me for the title and all I could give her was your name.

If the title isn't Say it So let me know because that's what being shipped to my house.

progers0826
12-01-2005, 08:31 PM
That's funny.

Frater Perdurabo
12-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Phil,

Thanks for the heads up. Congrats on the new book. Thanks for being the best baseball writer in Chicago and one of the best in the country (no teal). Thanks for being man enough to visit and post here even though this can be an angry hornets' nest for most Tribune employees.

- Frater (Matt)

P.S. Brian Bearden from The Dallas Morning News asked me to say hello.

Brian26
12-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Phil-

I'm excited to hear about the book, and I'll definitely pick it up. I've purchased every publication that's been put out so far since the World Series, and the one common element they are all lacking is a real in-depth backstory on how this season unfolded. At best, some of the publications touch on this for a few pages. Many of the publications don't even talk about the season, instead picking up with Game One of the ALDS.

Kudos to you for busting your behind to get this to print so quickly. I'm sure it will be a good read.

SOXintheBURGH
12-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Congratulations, look forward to getting a copy.

bobowhite
12-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Phil,

Thanks for the heads up. Congrats on the new book. Thanks for being the best baseball writer in Chicago and one of the best in the country (no teal). Thanks for being man enough to visit and post here even though this can be an angry hornets' nest for most Tribune employees..

Cahones baby!! Cahones.

gsang
12-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Any shot if I get the book I can get a signed copy? Also can you post the book cover so we get a sneak peak at what it will look like. Big Fan, keep on keepin on. Thanks. Gordy Sang. P.s. phil, check out these wallpapers, thought you might enjoy.

chisox77
12-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Phil,

Thanks for posting. Now that's a proactive author. I appreciate knowing that a good hardcover book will be out, written by you. I was wondering when some books would start getting published about the White Sox. I'll check it out at some point. I also have Dave Condon's "Go Go White Sox" hardcover, published in 1960. It was my grandfather's copy, which was passed on to me. News of your book made me think of that. Congratulations on the effort!

:cool:

infohawk
12-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Phil, I will most certainly buy the book and I look forward to reading it. I always enjoy your column as well as your insights on Chicago Tribune Live. Keep up the good work.

patbooyah
12-01-2005, 09:42 PM
phil,

you've got to respect the join date!

anyways. i'm certainly going to get the book.

what is the format like? does it include columns or is it "memoir" style?

pat dahl

mweflen
12-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Phil,

Just wanted to second the emotion here that you're the best baseball writer in Chicago. And no, I'm not damning you with faint praise there. :D:

Max Power
12-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Phil, I always enjoy your articles. I definitely plan to pick up your book.

TornLabrum
12-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Phil, I'll probably be ordering the book this weekend. I've put off buying any books up to this point, so yours will be the first. I'll third (or fourth) your nomination as the best baseball writer in Chicago.

I just wish you'd post here more often!

gobears1987
12-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Phil, you are the best columnist in this city. Jay Mariotti and the rest of the losers that dominate this city can learn a lesson from you.

I plan on buying the book as soon as possible.

kaufsox
12-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Phil--

the book sounds interesting and I look forward to picking up a copy. This may be the easiest year my family ever had for getting Christmas gifts! Anyway, are there any plans for a signing event in and around town? If so please let us know.

chisoxmike
12-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Phil,

I saw you talking about it on Comcast Sports Net the other night, I look forward to picking it up and reading it. By the way, I have to say, the "Believe It" book is the best so far of the world series publications. I was talking to Morrissey's brother yesterday and he said its all Dan McGrath, kudos to Mr. McGrath for putting together a great keepsake.

voodoochile
12-01-2005, 11:06 PM
I find it interesting that the boycott will get mentioned. You mean we actually caught the attention of the Trib higher ups? No shock given the way some of them came here and started ranting, but good to know none the less. WSI watching out for Sox fans everywhere and there are a few of us, right?

Looking forward to the book, Phil. Maybe when the commotion settles down, we can do another celeb chat and you can answer questions regarding the book for some of our users who read it.

Would your publisher go for that? A cyber book Q and A with the author of a book. Heck, you want to reach your target audience. Here we are...

Lip Man 1
12-02-2005, 12:32 AM
Phil:

As far as I'm concerned you are always welcome here. You've helped this site out with your celebrity chat and WSI Interview and I for one appreciate it very much.

Thanks for the heads up on the book! Have a good holiday season...(now how's about telling us when the Sox are going to get Pierre and Bill Mueller! :smile: )

Lip

Hangar18
12-02-2005, 08:17 AM
Phil, I never mind your opinions ........... they are just that Opinions and everyone has a different one and thats why I come here, to hear different viewpoints. There are some who dont like when you have a different viewpoint, shame shame shame on them. Keep posting, keep writing. And please come here first with any new viewpoints/opinions. :smile:

miker
12-02-2005, 08:19 AM
Gee, this last time I saw this much sucking up was when Oprah went on Letterman last night...

Seriously, even though Mr. Rogers works for the enemy, he is the far and away the best of what is an average or worse crop of writers in this city. I'll give the new book a fair look when it comes out.

And I guess I violated the boycott because I bought a copy of "Believe It"...but I still refuse to watch WGN in the morning!

Baby Fisk
12-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Is there a surprise twist ending? Eg. Cubs win the World Series and Sox move to Vegas? :cool:

Just kidding. I will be the first Canadian to buy your book.

rwcescato
12-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks Phil for the book. I will enjoy it I'm sure.
Rich

CHIsoxNation
12-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Phil.

I really enjoy reading your column. I'll echo what many others have said already when I say that you are probably the best sports columnist in the city. Keep up the great work and I look forward to reading your book.

alohafri
12-02-2005, 01:08 PM
Phil,

I'm looking forward to reading your book. I have always found your column to be enjoyable, informative, and balanced. I have had the pleasure of meeting Mrs. Rogers when she subbed in the building I teach, and told her that I thought you were one of the best baseball writers out there.

skottyj242
12-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Phil you're that guy from Chicago on Around the Horn right? Love your articles, you're the only reason I steal the Tribune sports section from a guy in my office. Thanks for giving us the heads-up on the book, I'm sure it will be a page turner. You better start writing another one now for our repeat.

maurice
12-02-2005, 03:13 PM
There's nothing wrong with a different opinion, as long as you can back it up with facts. It's much, much better than being the stereotypical lazy journalist, who just repeats what everybody else already has said or makes up some BS.

The good thing about PRogers is that he's willing to make the phone calls and do the legwork to investiate before stating his opinion. You have to respect that, even if you disagree with his conclusion.

buehrle4cy05
12-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Excellent, I enjoy reading most of what Rogers writes. Thanks for the heads up.

ChiSox Fan 68
12-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Just placed my order - can't wait to get it. Thanks for letting us know about the book!

Daver
12-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Looking forward to the book, Phil. Maybe when the commotion settles down, we can do another celeb chat and you can answer questions regarding the book for some of our users who read it.

I already scheduled this for sometime in Feburary, while Phil is in Arizona for spring training.

dakuda
12-02-2005, 07:18 PM
... I am told shipping will begin about Dec. 12. It is also expected to be available at the Tribune store on Michigan Ave on about Dec. 15. ...

I just ordered it, and the woman on the phone told me I should have it in 4-8 business days. I asked if she meant from the release date. SHe put me on hold for a couple minutes, said they were in, and being shipped now. Just thought I would pass that on, if she was accurate.

DumpJerry
12-02-2005, 09:51 PM
I just ordered it, and the woman on the phone told me I should have it in 4-8 business days. I asked if she meant from the release date. SHe put me on hold for a couple minutes, said they were in, and being shipped now. Just thought I would pass that on, if she was accurate.
I was told the same thing.

Soxfan35
12-03-2005, 11:38 AM
I was hoping for a 'real' book about the season, not just the picture based ones. Can't wait to get mine in a few days.

SweetnesSox
12-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Phil can I have your baby please?

Congrats on the book.

DenverSock
12-05-2005, 12:17 PM
I shall also be ordering the book when available. Congrats Phil.

:wink:

White Sox Randy
12-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Even though you work for the Trib, you're still the best baseball writer in Chicago. Looking forward to the book!

SO TRUE !

Dan H
12-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Phil, are you going to have any book signings? Would like to get the book and meet you. Thanks.

chisox
12-08-2005, 08:26 PM
phil was who reccomended this site to me when i was working at the trib as a high school intern.

he's a stand-up guy.

delben91
12-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Just ordered my copy. Can't wait to unwrap it and read it!

progers0826
12-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks for all the kind words the last couple of weeks. I hope they continue once you guys actually see the book. It should be shipped very soon (if it hasn't been already) and it has arrived at the Tribune Store, outside the Tribune building on Michigan Ave. Some have asked about a book signing, and the good news is I'm working to put one together at a popular downtown bar in the next two weeks (that's before Christmas). If it works out, I'll let you guys know as soon as I do -- Phil

Hangar18
12-12-2005, 08:08 AM
.......... Some have asked about a book signing, and the good news is I'm working to put one together at a popular downtown bar in the next two weeks (that's before Christmas). If it works out, I'll let you guys know as soon as I do -- Phil

Now thats what Im talking about. I want to see this book Plugged and Plugged. Please Phil, promote this book and put the SOX in the conscience
of the people. If a dope can put a book out about what happened to former north-side players and get a boatload of free press and media-adulation, than SURELY A BOOK ABOUT A WORLD-SERIES CHAMPION TEAM can do the same??

dakuda
12-13-2005, 04:17 PM
My copy of the book arrived today. Time to set aside some reading time within the next week....

halfpricemonday
12-14-2005, 01:01 PM
I just saw the ad for Say It's So in today's Trib, so I came to the boards to see if anyone has picked it up yet and could offer an overview. But after reading this thread and seeing that Phil himself authored the announcement post, I think I'll stop by Tribune Tower this afternoon and pick up a couple (one for me, and one as a gift).

Looking forward to getting my copy signed!

gf2020
12-14-2005, 01:50 PM
I found that it's also available via Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1572438703/qid=1134589672/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-5633229-0006308?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

FYI, you also get a bit of a discount off the cover price apparently.

DumpJerry
12-14-2005, 03:35 PM
My copy arrived today. Lock the doors, pull down the shades and order out dinner, I've got some readin' to do tonight!:D:

CHIsoxNation
12-15-2005, 12:23 PM
I found that it's also available via Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1572438703/qid=1134589672/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-5633229-0006308?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

FYI, you also get a bit of a discount off the cover price apparently.

Does that mean we don't get it until March 2006? I can't wait that long.

SOecks
12-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Any comments on the book yet? I just ordered 3 of them. One for myself "from my wife", one for my brother, and one for my die hard sox fan buddy. Hope it's worth the $85.

dakuda
12-15-2005, 03:34 PM
The book itself is written pretty well. It reads nicely. My only complaint is the actual physical quality. Where the pictures were inserted, my binding is falling apart already. I've only picked it up to read it twice, and I am about halfway through with it.

There were a few editing errors, but that doesn't take away from it too much. I'm probably too pickey when it comes to book errors though, especially with how I type.

Over all a great book to read, I'm just concerned abotu how long it will physically last...

DumpJerry
12-15-2005, 03:39 PM
The book itself is written pretty well. It reads nicely. My only complaint is the actual physical quality. Where the pictures were inserted, my binding is falling apart already. I've only picked it up to read it twice, and I am about halfway through with it.

There were a few editing errors, but that doesn't take away from it too much. I'm probably too pickey when it comes to book errors though, especially with how I type.

Over all a great book to read, I'm just concerned abotu how long it will physically last...
My copy is holding up quite well.

dakuda
12-15-2005, 03:55 PM
My copy is holding up quite well.

Like I said, my typing skills are #$%^&. I still look at my fingers.

I do wish it wasn't separating from the binding already....the rest of it doesn't bother me much (repeated paragraphs, missing halves of sentences). I can read through all of that. It was just an observation.

DumpJerry
12-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Like I said, my typing skills are #$%^&. I still look at my fingers.

I do wish it wasn't separating from the binding already....the rest of it doesn't bother me much (repeated paragraphs, missing halves of sentences). I can read through all of that. It was just an observation.
I'm just kiddin' with ya about the typing.:wink:

This book has many gems worthy of quoting here, but I don't want to run afoul of copyright laws and/or take up too much server space. One of my favorites, so far, is the last paragraph on page 25......

At the top of page 32 are some quotes from John Kruk about Ozzie which makes his dislike of the Sox even more mysterious.............

dakuda
12-15-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm just kiddin' with ya about the typing.:wink:

This book has many gems worthy of quoting here,

I agree, the content is great.

SOecks
12-15-2005, 04:21 PM
Can you share some of the better quotes? I don't think Phil will mind considering he used this board to probably sell hundreds of these books (and 3 more for me).

Hangar18
12-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Looking forward to getting my copy signed!

That would be nice also ......having Phil signing them

Daver
12-15-2005, 05:09 PM
That would be nice also ......having Phil signing them
As soon as the date for the book signing is set in stone I will post the time, date and location here, hopefully I will know later tonight or by tomorrow.

Edit to add, You will also be able to purchase copies of the book "Dedicated To..." at the booksigning.

DumpJerry
12-15-2005, 10:09 PM
I just came across page 44. The page ends in mid-sentence. Page 45 starts a new chapter. Perhaps we should make Rogers aware of the printing gaffes so he can bring them to the attention of Triumph.

hose
12-15-2005, 11:18 PM
Page 72
While the hardest-core Sox fans had come to distrust the Tribune- whitesoxinteractive.com maintains a standing stream on its discussion board called "Boycott the Tribune"-it was the Sun-Timesthat seemed to take the most pleasure in the Sox's growing discomfort. Columnist Jay Mariotti was practically gleeful in predicting doom.

I love it WSI and calling out Moronotti in the same paragraph.:bandance:

Just got the book in the mail today.

dakuda
12-15-2005, 11:41 PM
I just came across page 44. The page ends in mid-sentence. Page 45 starts a new chapter. Perhaps we should make Rogers aware of the printing gaffes so he can bring them to the attention of Triumph.

That is exactly the half sentence that I was referring to. I emailed him, just asking what the rest of it was.....

progers0826
12-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks for pointing out that error, and feel free to point out any others (hopefully we can make corrections for future printings).

The paragraph ending Chapter 2 should have been like this:
"Something was missing. That something, it turned out, was the little shortstop who had gone away mad after 1997, the guy who tormented the Cubs fans before Game 7 in 2003.''

progers0826
12-18-2005, 09:47 AM
We were not able to pull that book signing together for this week, despite a very generous offer from a good guy w/a bar in a good location. It turns out that we're not going to be able to do any signings until the book's official release, which won't be until March. At that time it should be in all of the bookstores, and we'll be doing more publicity for it then. Don't ask my why, because I don't know much about the distribution side of publishing. I guess we'll just consider sales up until then a preview.

With that said, I appreciate the nice words from you guys who got the book last week. I really wish we could have made it more easily available for the holidays but the big test will be for it to stand the test of time. Thanks again.

dakuda
12-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks for pointing out that error, and feel free to point out any others (hopefully we can make corrections for future printings).

"Something was missing. That something, it turned out, was the little shortstop who had gone away mad after 1997, the guy who tormented the Cubs fans before Game 7 in 2003.''

In the interest of correcting the errors for future printings:

Page 10, the paragraph that begins with "Downpours" was repeated.

Baines
12-19-2005, 12:22 AM
calling out Moronotti in the same paragraph.

I love that whole chapter where Phil Rogers takes shot after shot at Moronotti, and a few at Greg Couch.

Lip Man 1
12-22-2005, 01:19 PM
I just got my copy of Phil’s book and have enjoyed it very, very much. Consider this a book review if you are debating whether to get it or not.

Phil is a pro and there is no question that he knows his baseball. I was struck by the meticulous research that he put into it. Anyone can talk about say, A.J.’s play in Game #2 of the ALCS, or a Konerko home run but only someone who really knows the game can mention about the positioning of Scott Posednik in left field of Game #2 of the ALDS and how that potentially changed the course of that contest. Often it’s the little things that decide wins and losses and Phil is on target with this important aspect of baseball.

Another thing that is crucial to me is that Phil is nobody’s shrill. Anyone who thinks he is a paid stooge of the Tribune Company is in for a rude awakening. Frankly considering the things he talks about in the way the Tribune Company runs their baseball team, I’m surprised he’s still working there! The Trib executives couldn’t have been happy with the way things were painted about them. They had to be angry say of Rogers tracking down Dallas Greene and using Greene’s comments about how inept they are. By the same token Rogers honestly paints a picture of the disastrous White Sox moves over the past 25 years that put serious dents in the size of their fan base as well as holes in their operating budget. From SportsVision to the strike to the White Flag Trade, it’s all there. The unvarnished truth for both sides of town.

Rogers also freely admits what he said in his WSI Interview from a few years ago about the ‘conflict of interest’ between the Chicago Tribune and the fact that the same company owns the Cubs. He also discusses the ‘history’ of the way the Tribune Company has marketed the Cubs since they bought the team in 1981 and how that power has simply swamped the White Sox.

Phil also mentions White Sox Interactive twice in the book and has a long discourse in the way Jay Mariotti seemed to take particular delight in the Sox troubles in August-September. He also includes a well timed barb or two on Jay’s ‘distaste’ for actually appearing in a locker room.

Overall this is one of the better ‘season review’ books that I have ever read about baseball. I’d compare it favorably to such timeless classics as ‘Ball Four’ by Jim Bouton and ‘The Long Season’ by Jim Brosnan.

If you are a Sox fan... if you are simply a baseball fan, you’ll enjoy this book.

The only negative that I found in the book was Rogers' actually using comments from that incompetent boob Mike North. Giving this moron 'book-time' is giving him credibility and the reality of the situation is that he has none, zero, nyet, nada. I have forgotten more about Sox history then this doofus will ever know. He has already shown his 'knowledge' of Sox history in his appearances on Chicago Tribune Live! and every single one of his 'facts' were historically wrong (think Cliff Clavin selling hot dogs!) Why Phil even debased himself speaking with this nimrod is totally beyond me. (It is interesting to note however that for every comment the lunatic has on the Sox he has two or three on the Cubs. Perhaps those who have posted saying this dweeb is really a closet Cub-fan are correct...)

Lip

Baby Fisk
12-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the review, Lip. Gawd, I can't wait to get this book!

The Racehorse
12-23-2005, 07:51 AM
After reading Lip's take on Phil's book, I'll be ordering a copy very soon. :smile:

Fake Chet Lemon
12-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Phil,
You really are by far the best baseball writer in this town. I've been close to canceling my Trib subscription on numerous occasions because of their horribly slanted headlines against the Sox ("Sox 13-3 start marred by Contreras injury!" comes to mind as a great example), but because I enjoy and respect your baseball insight so much I haven't yet. And your honesty in taking Jim Hendry to task on his brutal off-season has been a pleasure to read about the past couple of months as well! Hendry has been Mr. Teflon since 2003 in this town and you are the only one with the stones to acknowledge his numerous short-comings. I hope all of my emails to you don't annoy you too much either!
-Dave
Bartlett, IL

TommyJohn
12-23-2005, 02:26 PM
I just got my copy of Phil’s book and have enjoyed it very, very much. Consider this a book review if you are debating whether to get it or not.

Phil is a pro and there is no question that he knows his baseball. I was struck by the meticulous research that he put into it. Anyone can talk about say, A.J.’s play in Game #2 of the ALCS, or a Konerko home run but only someone who really knows the game can mention about the positioning of Scott Posednik in left field of Game #2 of the ALDS and how that potentially changed the course of that contest. Often it’s the little things that decide wins and losses and Phil is on target with this important aspect of baseball.

Another thing that is crucial to me is that Phil is nobody’s shrill. Anyone who thinks he is a paid stooge of the Tribune Company is in for a rude awakening. Frankly considering the things he talks about in the way the Tribune Company runs their baseball team, I’m surprised he’s still working there! The Trib executives couldn’t have been happy with the way things were painted about them. They had to be angry say of Rogers tracking down Dallas Greene and using Greene’s comments about how inept they are. By the same token Rogers honestly paints a picture of the disastrous White Sox moves over the past 25 years that put serious dents in the size of their fan base as well as holes in their operating budget. From SportsVision to the strike to the White Flag Trade, it’s all there. The unvarnished truth for both sides of town.

Rogers also freely admits what he said in his WSI Interview from a few years ago about the ‘conflict of interest’ between the Chicago Tribune and the fact that the same company owns the Cubs. He also discusses the ‘history’ of the way the Tribune Company has marketed the Cubs since they bought the team in 1981 and how that power has simply swamped the White Sox.

Phil also mentions White Sox Interactive twice in the book and has a long discourse in the way Jay Mariotti seemed to take particular delight in the Sox troubles in August-September. He also includes a well timed barb or two on Jay’s ‘distaste’ for actually appearing in a locker room.

Overall this is one of the better ‘season review’ books that I have ever read about baseball. I’d compare it favorably to such timeless classics as ‘Ball Four’ by Jim Bouton and ‘The Long Season’ by Jim Brosnan.

If you are a Sox fan... if you are simply a baseball fan, you’ll enjoy this book.

The only negative that I found in the book was Rogers' actually using comments from that incompetent boob Mike North. Giving this moron 'book-time' is giving him credibility and the reality of the situation is that he has none, zero, nyet, nada. I have forgotten more about Sox history then this doofus will ever know. He has already shown his 'knowledge' of Sox history in his appearances on Chicago Tribune Live! and every single one of his 'facts' were historically wrong (think Cliff Clavin selling hot dogs!) Why Phil even debased himself speaking with this nimrod is totally beyond me. (It is interesting to note however that for every comment the lunatic has on the Sox he has two or three on the Cubs. Perhaps those who have posted saying this dweeb is really a closet Cub-fan are correct...)

Lip

I have to say, this was a great review. I am hoping to get the book for
Christmas. If not, I'll be off to Tribster Tower to get a copy. I have to
say I am disappointed that North is quoted in the book, as if he is some
type of expert. What, the doofus standing on the corner wasn't available?

I am looking forward to the book, though. Has Jay M. flooded Phil's
voicemail with messages yet?

Fenway
02-01-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm curious. I preordered this book with Borders back in December and they still list it as not as yet published.

Has anyone outside Chicago seen it in a bookstore yet?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1572438703/qid=1138809826/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-8961439-8894253?v=glance&s=books

Baby Fisk
02-01-2006, 10:10 AM
I'm curious. I preordered this book with Borders back in December and they still list it as not as yet published.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1572438703/qid=1138809826/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-8961439-8894253?v=glance&s=books
As per that link, it's not scheduled for release until 30 March. That, plus the DVD collection... there's gonna be a lot of credit cards smouldering at the end of next month!

Some people got to order a first run of the book via an online Cubune offer.

DenverSock
02-01-2006, 01:01 PM

No, I haven't seen the book, and like you am awaiting it, as Baby Fisk pointed out there was a print run available in Chicago, or by phone only (at least as far as I could tell.) There was also the photo book which was publisehed by the Tribune. The next print run will be done by a publishing house and will be probably corrected to a certain extent. See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers0826

In the interest of correcting the errors for future printings:

Page 10, the paragraph that begins with "Downpours" was repeated.
SOP for publishing books of this nature. If you wanted a collectors item you're probably too late, however, your copy will be more authoritative.

progers0826
02-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Let's hope future editions nail the problems.

I'm told the book will ship to bookstores in mid February and should be put on the shelves of bookstores by early March.

Thanks to everyone who checked out the sneak preview version around the holidays. Hopefully any further orders will be filled very soon.

Phil

TomBradley72
02-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Let's hope future editions nail the problems.

I'm told the book will ship to bookstores in mid February and should be put on the shelves of bookstores by early March.

Thanks to everyone who checked out the sneak preview version around the holidays. Hopefully any further orders will be filled very soon.

Phil

Thanks Phil.

Please say hi to Rick Morrissey from all of us here at WSI. We can't wait for his new book in 2007: "How the Unthinkable Became Reality: The Conversion of Chicago to a Sox Town".

Baby Fisk
03-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Book Cover:

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/6042/sayitsso8vl.jpg

TommyJohn
03-03-2006, 07:58 AM
Thanks Phil.

Please say hi to Rick Morrissey from all of us here at WSI. We can't wait for his new book in 2007: "How the Unthinkable Became Reality: The Conversion of Chicago to a Sox Town".

I also understand that Rick is writing a book on the Cubs. It's going to make
sales of "Say It's So" look like a neighborhood garage sale.