PDA

View Full Version : Houston Chronicle's Sour Grapes over World Series DVD

Vestigio
12-01-2005, 06:33 PM
http://blogs.chron.com/specialfeatures/archives/2005/11/world_series_dv.html

I can't believe this guy actually believes what he's spouting off. Does he actually think Astros fans want to buy this DVD? Here's some of my favorite lines:

It almost ignores the history-making season and post-season of the Houston Astros (http://astros.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=hou), while making the Chicago White Sox -- who squeaked by them in each game -- look indomitable.
Chisox, call us back when you've played nine extra innings of sudden death baseball. Until then, get over yourselves.
And sure, the Chisox had their share of great plays, great players and heroes -- but did they have the most legendary pitcher of the modern era, Roger Clemens, pitching in relief for the first time in two decades, and hurling three shutout innings, to win that longest-ever playoff game?
LMAO! And when did the most "legendary pitcher of the modern era" pitch those three shutout innings? Oh yeah thats right the NLDS.
Astacio, a rookie, was not a relief pitcher, but a starter--and a "fifth" starter at that. At the last minute, he was placed on the playoff roster as a last-resort reliever, and sure enough, he was a last-resort pitcher in the 14-inning loss in Game 3 of the Series, when he served up Geoff Blum's game-winning homer around 1 a.m., with the rest of the bullpen already depleted. So yes, he pitched in relief. But showing him as the face of the Astros' bullpen, as a man who characterized the Astros' bullpen, solid or otherwise, is just plain wrong, and it shows carelessness on MLB's part in getting the Astros' story right.
What?!?!?!

MUsoxfan
12-01-2005, 06:39 PM
I literally just finished watching the DVD. I recall a big SOX logo on the cover because they're the ones that won it all. Sour grapes it is....

DumpJerry
12-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Now, all this probably sounds like sour grapes
Probably? Do eagles fly?

SoxSpeed22
12-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Chisox, call us back when you've played nine extra innings of sudden death baseball. Until then, get over yourselves.Call us back when you can get a clutch hit in your own field.
http://home.comcast.net/%7Esjredux/Aku.jpg"FOOL!"
He's not a dumbass, so I decided not to use it. But it is foolish to talk smack a month after it happened.

MarySwiss
12-01-2005, 06:53 PM
A few points:

It's a blog. Sure, many blogs are well-written, but the whole point of a blog is that anyone can create one. I Googled this guy, and he's an entertainment writer. Maybe he should stick to reviewing "Meet the Fockers."

I haven't seen my DVD yet because it just shipped out yesterday--:angry: --so I cannot comment on its content. But I did see--and own--the WS VHS of the D'Backs' win in 2001. In that tape, IMO, MLB did a great job of recounting what actually took place and gave props to both teams. Then again, that series went seven, so there were a bunch of Yankee highlights.

Just speculating--until I see the footage--but perhaps the dearth of Astros highlights has something to do with the fact that THEY WERE SWEPT?

Banix12
12-01-2005, 06:58 PM
http://www.creativescreenwriting.com/csdaily/csdart/images/2005-06-Jun/Heaven%20Can%20Wait%20-%20Giant%20crying%20baby%20(300w).jpg
Awwww.. Diddums woose the world series? Shh, shh... hush little baby don't say a word, clemens will win a game like he should. But if that pitcher cannot pitch, then the bullpen is gonna be the white sox bitch.

In a creative mood.

I don't care how close the games were, you lose 4 in a row in the world series and you don't deserve to sound like a juggernaut.

gowhitesox
12-01-2005, 07:03 PM
I just put send him a message which I doubt if he will post. He needs to learn that it is the team that wins the World Series that people remember. He's a sore loser. He must have forgotten that the Astros still lost every game of the series.

MUsoxfan
12-01-2005, 07:12 PM
But if that pitcher cannot pitch, then the bullpen is gonna be the white sox bitch.

:D: Excellent work

MarySwiss
12-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Another point.

IIRC-based on the fact that I have actually SEEN a WS tape--which this guy has not, for obvious reasons--they usually just do a quick run-through of the postseason games that led up to the WS.

In other words, although the Astros' postseason games apparently mean a lot to that guy, the bottom line is, when they got to the World Series, no matter how valiantly they battled to get there, THEY GOT SWEPT!

RadioheadRocks
12-01-2005, 07:37 PM
cueing up OK Go:

"HEY!!! Get-get-get-get Get Over It!!!!!" :supernana:

ElevenUp
12-01-2005, 08:21 PM
I'm just thinking that if the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't even care about the DVD seeing as how MY TEAM (would have theoretically) GOT SWEPT! The last thing on my mind would be about buying the DVD story on how my team GOT SWEPT out of the World Series. I would figure that the DVD would be about the winning team and would have no interest in it. To the victor go the spoils. And the White Sox were the victors.

Chisox003
12-01-2005, 08:25 PM
:rolling:

Wait, wait, let me guess ... They were tired from their looooong plane flights too!

Give me a break!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3494

buehrle4cy05
12-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Traditionally, the team that wins the World Series gets focused on in the DVD...

C-Dawg
12-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Roger Clemens, pitching in relief for the first time in two decades, and hurling three shutout innings, to win that longest-ever playoff game?

OMG What are we doing with the trophy in Chicago? There must have been a mistake, we aren't the team that has the GREAT ROGER CLEMENS!!! Send that trophy to HOUSTON where it belongs!

:?:

Soxzilla
12-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Another point.

IIRC-based on the fact that I have actually SEEN a WS tape--which this guy has not, for obvious reasons--they usually just do a quick run-through of the postseason games that led up to the WS.

In other words, although the Astros' postseason games apparently mean a lot to that guy, the bottom line is, when they got to the World Series, no matter how valiantly they battled to get there, THEY GOT SWEPT!

Wait a minute, you mean I won't be able to see any St. Louis Cardinal NLDS highlights on this tape!?!

BLASPHEMY!

Frankfan4life
12-01-2005, 09:30 PM
There's also a fleeting profile of the team, including the observation that "their bullpen was solid." This is said over a solo shot of Ezequiel Astacio.

MLB, you have a problem. For some reason, you seem to think Astacio represents the Astros' bullpen. Forget constant hurlers Brad Lidge, Russ Springer, Mike Gallo or Dan Wheeler. No, MLB shows us Astacio.I have to agree with Bruce here. I think Lidge instead of Astacio would have been a more appropriate representative of the Astros' bullpen's post season. :redneck

CaptainBallz
12-01-2005, 10:30 PM
C'mon people, credit where credit is due, we did barely sweep them.

zach074
12-01-2005, 10:34 PM
"Chisox, call us back when you've played nine extra innings of sudden death baseball. Until then, get over yourselves."

Hey Astros, call us back when you've won the World Series. Untill then, get over it!

Vestigio
12-01-2005, 10:43 PM
I have to agree with Bruce here. I think Lidge instead of Astacio would have been a more appropriate representative of the Astros' bullpen's post season. :redneck

Its regardless of which player represents the bullpen. The fact is that Astacio is part of the bullpen, something this bozo claims Astacio is not a part of.

RealMenWearBlack
12-01-2005, 11:10 PM
If the Astros got any more attention than they did on the DVD, MLB may as well have made "Houston Astros World Series 2005 Runner-Up" t-shirts.

HebrewHammer
12-02-2005, 12:13 AM
"Chisox, call us back when you've played nine extra innings of sudden death baseball. Until then, get over yourselves."

Hey Astros, call us back when you've won the World Series. Untill then, get over it!

Maybe call us back when they actually win a game in the World Series.

MUsoxfan
12-02-2005, 12:49 AM
Its regardless of which player represents the bullpen. The fact is that Astacio is part of the bullpen, something this bozo claims Astacio is not a part of.

I think the fact that the "Rock" that is Brad Lidge had 2 losses in the series should take some attention away from Astacio:cool:

pythons007
12-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Maybe if the Astros actually won a game, there might have been some highlights. But no, Bagwell "he gone", on a Bobby Jenks 100mph heater is one of the highlights. Or, Blum hitting a homer to win the game in the longest game in WS history. Or, Clemens running off the mound from getting an ***pounding in two innings. See this guy needs to understand, if there are no highlights for your team then we can't show them.

As previously stated, the Arizona and NY Series went 7 so there was bound to have highlights from both teams....in a sweep, yeah ONE team highlights.

Hitmen77
12-02-2005, 11:00 AM
To give more balanced Astros coverage, maybe they should have included more of Phil Garner on that DVD. You know, showing him smashing chairs when Blum hit that HR and also some nice clips of him trashing his team's performance at a press conference. :rolleyes:

TDog
12-02-2005, 11:59 AM
The Astros will get some favorable coverage in the box set coming out in March. I'm sure it will be a big seller in Houston, considering the Astros almost scored in the last -- I lost count, was it 16 innings?

chuckn98229
12-02-2005, 12:11 PM
His panties are in a knot because their 'killer bees' played more like 'Aunt Bees'.

LuvSox
12-02-2005, 12:57 PM
Note to the Houston cry baby:

Nobody cares if you have several players with surnames beginning with the same letter. Killer B's? Stupid.

Nobody cares if your players have beards and shave said beards to motivate themselves. Stupid, again.

Houston has one of the worst ball parks in MLB. Home run tape? Most stupid of all.

Mr. White Sox
12-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Adam Caldarelli: Master Sleuth or WSI Lurker? The World Waits... (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-blogcurrent,1,1990381.htmlstory?coll=cs-home-headlines)

JUribe1989
12-02-2005, 05:09 PM
All I know is that I'm enjoying the DVD right now! :D::D::D:

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2005, 05:23 PM
What, no mention of the roof?:rolleyes:

gowhitesox
12-02-2005, 05:32 PM
After looking at Westbrooks article again. It looks like every person on this board flooded that loser with messages!! Great job everybody.

IlliniSox4Life
12-02-2005, 06:45 PM
I haven't seen anything posted about this, so if you guys want to read really bitter journalist Bruce Westbrook talk about how the World Series DVD hardly included the Astros, then CHECK THIS OUT (http://blogs.chron.com/specialfeatures/archives/2005/11/world_series_dv.html). He seriously needs to get over himself. It's actually pretty funny watching pretty much EVERYONE call him out in the comments below. His posts trying to defend himself are great as well.

DumpJerry
12-02-2005, 06:47 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63052

You did not see it because it is in What's the Score.....

IlliniSox4Life
12-02-2005, 07:06 PM
:redface::redface::redface::redface: Whoops!!!

MarySwiss
12-02-2005, 07:10 PM
I just posted a comment. Two words="misleading sweep???"

What the hell does THAT mean? :?:

samram
12-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Anyone else think ol' Bruce looks like Marshall Applewhite?

As for the article, I could have sworn all those World Series Championship hats have the Sox logo on them. He should also realize that the World Series DVD isn't meant to show the losing team's earlier round heroics.

RadioheadRocks
12-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Anyone else think ol' Bruce looks like Marshall Applewhite?

OMG it's Ti and Do!!! (well, "Do" anyway!) Be sure to dust off the reeboks and have a pocketful of quarters for the tolls!

C-Dawg
12-02-2005, 09:18 PM
What, no mention of the roof?:rolleyes:

His hands are still too frostbitten to do that much typing.

TheDarkGundam
12-03-2005, 12:14 AM
Call us back when you can get a clutch hit in your own field.
http://home.comcast.net/%7Esjredux/Aku.jpg"FOOL!"
He's not a dumbass, so I decided not to use it. But it is foolish to talk smack a month after it happened.

A samurai jack reference? Awesome. :cool: