PDA

View Full Version : Former Sox Pitcher Coaching In Minors

gowhitesox
12-01-2005, 03:40 PM
For those who may not be aware, former White Sox pitcher Jack Kucek who pitched for the Sox from 1974-1979 is now the pitching coach for the El Paso Diablos of the "new" American Association a independent league. Jack had fairly good numbers when pitching the Sox minor leagues but never really made it in the big leagues. Next season will be his 2 season with El Paso. I wish him well in El Paso. He was my first White Sox autograph back in the 1970's.

StillMissOzzie
12-04-2005, 01:34 AM
Not exactly a rarity these days:

Rich Dotsun has been (and still is?) the pitching coach for the Great Falls White Sox, one of the A level teams.
Britt Burns has been with the Tigers organization for a few years now, as pitching coach for the Lakeland Tigers of the Gulf Coast (Rookie) League
Greg Hibbard was the pitching coach for the local Joliet Jackhammers of the independent Northern League, but left a few years ago to join the Indians organization. Not sure if he's still with them, though.

SMO
:gulp:

mike squires
12-04-2005, 01:54 AM
Just to update...Dot is now at Birmingham and I believe will be the Whitesox pitching coach someday.

Tragg
12-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Kucek was one of the "can't miss" "K prospects" of the late 1970s, along with Chris Knapp and Ken Kravec; sort of the 70s version of Johnny Ruffin and Rodney Bolton.

We had several good pitching prospects in the late 1970s. Unfortunately we got rid of the best of them: Pete Vuckovich (I think via the expansion draft) and Chris Knapp (via a bad trade with the Angels - lost Brian Downing - although, we got Dick Dotson and he ended up being a solid pitcher).

gowhitesox
12-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Just to update...Dot is now at Birmingham and I believe will be the Whitesox pitching coach someday.

Thanks for the info. Richard Dotson was a good pitcher and I am sure a good pitching coach also.

TDog
12-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Kucek was one of the "can't miss" "K prospects" of the late 1970s, along with Chris Knapp and Ken Kravec; sort of the 70s version of Johnny Ruffin and Rodney Bolton.

We had several good pitching prospects in the late 1970s. Unfortunately we got rid of the best of them: Pete Vuckovich (I think via the expansion draft) and Chris Knapp (via a bad trade with the Angels - lost Brian Downing - although, we got Dick Dotson and he ended up being a solid pitcher).

Jack Kucek got his first start in August 1974 (about two months after the Sox drafted him out of college) on an afternoon against the Texas Rangers. I was working in my father's auto parts store in southern Oklahoma at the time and a customer came in delighted at how the Rangers were hitting a rookie.

The Sox were so high on Kucek as a prospect that they drafted him out of high school and, after he declined to sign, signed him out of Miami University a few years later. He never met with much success, and was eventually shipped off to the Phillies for Jim Morrison, the regular Sox second baseman before Tony Bernazard, who preceded Julio Cruz.

For Morrison, the Sox got former Cub Eddie Solomon, who the Sox released less than a month later.

Looking at things the Sox and other baseball teams did more than 20 years ago really isn't fair. At the time, the Chris Knapp-Brian Downing deal was supposed to push the Sox over the top by bringing in Bobby Bonds, who, as it turned out, had no interest in playing for the Sox while Downing helped the Angels win the AL West. I wasn't happy, though, about the Sox leaving Pete Vuckovich unprotected (while protecting Bart Johnson) in the Mariners-Blue Jays expansion draft.

The Sox drafted Vuckovich in 1974, one round after Kucek. The Blue Jays drafted him at expansion and traded him to the Cardinals who traded him to the Brewers, in a deal that would help shape the Brewers' World Series team of the 1982 (which lost to the Cardinals). He came to Milwaukee with Ted Simmons and Rollie Fingers.

gowhitesox
12-04-2005, 05:57 PM
I recall during spring training of 1976 in Sarasota, Florida when I got Jack Kucek's autograph we were talking and he said that he had surgery on his shoulder a year or so prior. So that may be part of the reason he never had much success in the majors.

Tragg
12-04-2005, 07:25 PM
The Sox were so high on Kucek as a prospect that they drafted him out of high school and, after he declined to sign, signed him out of Miami University a few years later. He never met with much success, and was eventually shipped off to the Phillies for Jim Morrison, the regular Sox second baseman before Tony Bernazard, who preceded Julio Cruz.

For Morrison, the Sox got former Cub Eddie Solomon, who the Sox released less than a month later.

Looking at things the Sox and other baseball teams did more than 20 years ago really isn't fair. At the time, the Chris Knapp-Brian Downing deal was supposed to push the Sox over the top by bringing in Bobby Bonds, who, as it turned out, had no interest in playing for the Sox while Downing helped the Angels win the AL West. I wasn't happy, though, about the Sox leaving Pete Vuckovich unprotected (while protecting Bart Johnson) in the Mariners-Blue Jays expansion draft.
Thanks for the way-back machine; interesting.
And when Bernhazard come to town, he moved over to third for a couple of years, replacing the great Kevin Bell.

I seem to recall thinking back in 78 or so that the problem with the Sox was lack of pitching, so trading pitching wasn't exactly a great idea. I guess he was a replacement for Zisk and those guys.
Bobby Bonds was a surly ballplayer, just like his son.