PDA

View Full Version : Can Iguchi still bat #2?

house215
12-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Ozzie wanted to move Iguchi down in the lineup so he could be a more pure power hitter but with the recent addition of Thome to the lineup do you really need to still move Iguchi there? This team has plenty of power and I think Iguchi did a great job in the 2 hole for the Sox this past year. I just don't think its a good idea for the White Sox to possibly trade pitching for a new #2 guy when you already have a proven one or as one of my friends suggested moving Anderson down to the 2 hole. I just say move Thome into the lineup and leave Iguchi at 2 hole.

Lip Man 1
12-01-2005, 01:36 PM
He certainly can but after the Sox get Pierre it will be a moot point.

Lip

The Deacon
12-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Ozzie wanted to move Iguchi down in the lineup so he could be a more pure power hitter but with the recent addition of Thome to the lineup do you really need to still move Iguchi there? This team has plenty of power and I think Iguchi did a great job in the 2 hole for the Sox this past year. I just don't think its a good idea for the White Sox to possibly trade pitching for a new #2 guy when you already have a proven one or as one of my friends suggested moving Anderson down to the 2 hole. I just say move Thome into the lineup and leave Iguchi at 2 hole.

I agree. I just dont see the SOX making any other trades until we can assess our needs next year. They'll probably have a couple FA signings along the lines of Mueller or Graffanino but thats about it.
As far putting Anderson in the 2-hole, I wouldnt do it. We want Anderson to succeed in the majors, batting 7-9 will be where he gets his first chance to prove himself. If he succeeds, depending if he shows the ability to make contact and get bunts down, then he could possibly be moved up later in the season, but I still doubt it.

duke of dorwood
12-01-2005, 02:02 PM
we are world champs with him batting second

NorthSideSox72
12-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Can he? Yes.

But that question is pretty irrelevant. Ozzie has made it clear, not just once but many times now, that he wants Gooch out of the 2-hole. Therefore, the real question is...

Will he? No.

SweetnesSox
12-01-2005, 02:45 PM
gooch was a mid-order power hitter in Japan, and I'd be interested in seeing what he can do back there when he doesn't have to sacrifice once a day. Anderson has good speed and would be a good set up for our big boys, including gooch. I'd like to see them try it, your friend must be very intelligent and clever.

bobowhite
12-01-2005, 02:48 PM
I think Ozzie will try a few things, probably in ST, batting Anderson and Uribe in the number two spot. I don't think either will worl well there and I think Iguchi will eventually be slotted in that spot for most if not all of the season. He does strike out more than I'd care to have my #2 guy do though.

antitwins13
12-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Iguchi should still bat second. Uribe doesn't have the bat control to hit behind runners like Iguchi. As for taking advantage of Iguchi's power I think that is a Schuler/Manuel strategy that didn't help us win last year.