PDA

View Full Version : Ladewski- Konerko deal a win-win situation for everyone

fuzzy_patters
12-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Ladewski's article (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/ladewski/x01-lad1.htm) today is excellent.

Here are some of the highlights.

When the Sox announced that first baseman Paul Konerko had agreed to a five-year, $60 million contract only days after they had acquired designated masher Jim Thome, they did the darn near impossible. They relegated the Cubs to old news, beat them at their own public relations game in a way that hadn't been seen in years and screamed to the rest of the baseball world they have no intention to be one-year wonders.

This is a good point. I don't think the Sox intended for this to be a P.R. move, but the P.R. side effect is nice, too. The Sox are being bold and making big splashes for the first time since Belle was signed. Hopefully, this turns out better.

Indeed, the negotiations are another lesson in Sports Management 101 by general manager Ken Williams, who continues to make all the right moves while wannabes such as Billy Beane and Jim Hendry get most of the hype.

This is my favorite part of the article. Kenny is definitely having the last laugh on Beane.

When all was said and done, the Sox offered what no amount of money could buy. Namely, a legacy.

This is something I had not really considered, but it is a good point.

If Paulie had left after last year, he would have been remembered as a guy that played well and helped us win a championship. He would be what Horace Grant and B.J. Armstrong were to the Bulls. He would not be remembered as a legend a la Jordan and Pippen, but he would be a quality player who played for us for a few years and helped us win.

However, it now looks like he will be playing for us for 12 years. That is almost unheard of in this era. After 12 years of hitting in the middle of our lineup he will be remembered as one our all time greats. Congratulations Mr. Konerko! I look forward to seeing number 14 on the outfield wall someday.

caulfield12
12-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Ladewski's article (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/ladewski/x01-lad1.htm) today is excellent.

Here are some of the highlights.

This is a good point. I don't think the Sox intended for this to be a P.R. move, but the P.R. side effect is nice, too. The Sox are being bold and making big splashes for the first time since Belle was signed. Hopefully, this turns out better.

This is my favorite part of the article. Kenny is definitely having the last laugh on Beane.

This is something I had not really considered, but it is a good point.

If Paulie had left after last year, he would have been remembered as a guy that played well and helped us win a championship. He would be what Horace Grant and B.J. Armstrong were to the Bulls. He would not be remembered as a legend a la Jordan and Pippen, but he would be a quality player who played for us for a few years and helped us win.

However, it now looks like he will be playing for us for 12 years. That is almost unheard of in this era. After 12 years of hitting in the middle of our lineup he will be remembered as one our all time greats. Congratulations Mr. Konerko! I look forward to seeing number 14 on the outfield wall someday.

I would say the hype with the David Wells signing before 2001, coming off that offensive season in 2000...it was pretty close to the magnitude of the Belle deal for me in terms of excitement.

Beane made one of the dumbest signings in history in taking on Loaiza for that amount of money, and for three years. Morris and Millwood would have been much better options. The irony is that made a huge mistake breaking up that pitching staff and he ends up bringing in another pitcher he could have had for almost free before the 2003 season from glancing at the waiver wire.