PDA

View Full Version : Sun Times Rumor: Luis Castillo Next

Domeshot17
12-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Not sure the link, its a big article in Today's suntimes ( got the paper at school infront of me) and it talks about hwo if the White Sox Can not land Pierre, They may go out and get Luis Castillo to play and bat second. Not to sound too much like Hawk, but where does Castillo Play. I know we want more speed in the 2 hole, but I think Tadahito earned his keep last year. Would the sox really replace Ozzies " team mvp". If Castillo could play left or center it would intrigue me, but I have no idea if he can handle the OF, all I know is hes fast has a great glove and a really strong arm.

buehrle4cy05
12-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Another baseless rumor. Iguchi is our second baseman, end of discussion.

oeo
12-01-2005, 10:36 AM
I don't understand why'd we get a second baseman.

What happened to the Joey Gathright rumor? He IS an outfielder and is extremely fast (how's his defense?). And would the D'rays even be willing to trade him?

Crede_Fan
12-01-2005, 10:40 AM
I posted this earlier this Am in talking baseball (wrong forum). But DeLuca is crazy to even suggest trading Tadahito. I think he missed the point of getting a new # 2 was so that TAD could move down in the order.

antitwins13
12-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Why would we downgrade at second base and pay more money in salary? It makes no sense.

munchman33
12-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Trading for Castillo only makes sense if you're shifting Iguchi to short and Uribe to third.

And that barely only makes sense.

Chisox003
12-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Trading for Castillo only makes sense if you're shifting Iguchi to short and Uribe to third.

That doesn't even make sense....:?:

But you're right, that is the only possibility, unless they plan on moving Castillo to CF :o:

Chalk this one up to "another stupid rumor" .... it ain't happenin

Tragg
12-01-2005, 05:58 PM
I don't understand why'd we get a second baseman.

What happened to the Joey Gathright rumor? He IS an outfielder and is extremely fast (how's his defense?). And would the D'rays even be willing to trade him?
Gathright and his .310 career OBP would be a much greater risk than would be Anderson.

Randar68
12-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Gathright and his .310 career OBP would be a much greater risk than would be Anderson.
Young, cheap, better defensively than Pierre or Pods in CF, and fast as hell.

That said, he's only had ~250 career MLB AB's, and hit .326 w/ a .384 OBP in his first stint in AAA in 2004 and .305 w/ a .388 OBP in AAA in his second stint, both encompassing about 250 plate appearances.

He's a better option than Juan Pierre, IMO, all things considered, and the ceiling is much greater. Don't think he's a great bunter, but doesn't strike out a ton and puts the ball in play a lot. A lot like Pods at the plate, IMO.

Turns just 24 years old next April... Would be a decent gamble if the Sox didn't have to give up a ton and are committed to more speed from their #2 hitter.

antitwins13
12-01-2005, 07:39 PM

Crede is a better hitter than Uribe. So it makes no sense.

Al Franken AA
12-01-2005, 11:10 PM
I posted this earlier this Am in talking baseball (wrong forum). But DeLuca is crazy to even suggest trading Tadahito. I think he missed the point of getting a new # 2 was so that TAD could move down in the order.
KW is an animal in the office. Don't be so sure that he won't deal Iguchi for Castillo should the Marlins offer that deal. I'm sure Ozzie loves Castillo, too.

ilsox7
12-01-2005, 11:12 PM
KW is an animal in the office. Don't be so sure that he won't deal Iguchi for Castillo should the Marlins offer that deal. I'm sure Ozzie loves Castillo, too.

No way. Tad is an extremely cheap option doing what he did last year AND there is a decent chance he is a .285/23/80 type guy who plays solid defense for cheap. I don't see KW or Ozzie wanting to give that away.

Tragg
12-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Young, cheap, better defensively than Pierre or Pods in CF, and fast as hell.

That said, he's only had ~250 career MLB AB's, and hit .326 w/ a .384 OBP in his first stint in AAA in 2004 and .305 w/ a .388 OBP in AAA in his second stint, both encompassing about 250 plate appearances.

He's a better option than Juan Pierre, IMO, all things considered, and the ceiling is much greater. Don't think he's a great bunter, but doesn't strike out a ton and puts the ball in play a lot. A lot like Pods at the plate, IMO.

Turns just 24 years old next April... Would be a decent gamble if the Sox didn't have to give up a ton and are committed to more speed from their #2 hitter.
Well, I'm pretty much on record (with about 50 posts on the subject) that Pierre would be disasterous move. If Gathright comes cheap, fine. But with 10 inquiries and the D RAys doing the dealing (although they have a new GM), he doesn't look like an inexpensive acquistion to me. My only thing about Gathright is that he doesn't have many ML at bats, so essentially he's still a "prospect"... we've got several already. And the ML at bats he did have were less than stellar.

Canadian_SoxFan
12-01-2005, 11:56 PM
KW is an animal in the office. Don't be so sure that he won't deal Iguchi for Castillo should the Marlins offer that deal. I'm sure Ozzie loves Castillo, too. Ozzie also called Iguchi the team MVP this year. No way in hell this trade happens.

doublem23
12-01-2005, 11:59 PM
I can't believe no one has posed the idea that Luis Castillo would come here to take Willie Harris's spot as utility infielder. :tongue:

popilius
12-02-2005, 01:11 AM
I agree with most of you on this thread. . . when I read this from DeLuca, I was completely puzzled. This is not only unfounded, but it almost seems like this writer has even paid attention to the Sox over the last 10 months.

Iguchi is our man- "The Samurai."

:gulp:

ThatGuyOnTheL
12-02-2005, 01:16 AM
And would the D'rays even be willing to trade him?

Yeah, but knowing the D-Rays' front office, they'd probably want Konerko, Buehrle, and a tractor-trailer full of churros in return.

Tragg
12-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Castillo should lead-off if he were on this team. The dude can get on base, has some speed. Suprisingly low total of extra base hits, however - you'd think he could leg out a few more doubles.
I don't know if he can bunt like Iguchi can; I'm no fan of bunting, but Ozzie is, so it would be a deathnell to have someone bunting who can't bunt.
Too bad this guy doesn't play a position where we have a need. Iguchi is one of our better offensive players right now.

Malgar 12
12-02-2005, 11:30 AM

Iguchi doesn't have the arm to play short, furthermore he represents the fundamentals and little things approach that made the Sox so good and so fun to watch. Getting rid of him would be foolish.

TomBradley72
12-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Iguchi is not going anywhere. There's a balance between making a few key moves and "over tinkering"...

MisterB
12-02-2005, 12:25 PM
The whole point of acquiring a #2-type hitter was to move Iguchi further down in the order. If they get Castillo, then they have a minor upgrade at #2 and don't have the boost that Iguchi would provide at #6/7.