PDA

View Full Version : Darrin Jackson, Home Run Porch, and Next Statue

kruzer31
12-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Questions for all Sox fans to ponder to hold us over till Sox Fest. Will DJ be back in the booth? His contract expired last year and in my opinion I am expecting an announcement soon that HE GONE and someone new will join Hawk. I mean, i have not heard or seen DJ since the final out in DET to clinch the division. You would think he would have been at some of the playoff games and at the least, the WS Celebration Parade.
Next, anyone heard anything about the Home Run Porch in RF that was supposed to be built? Does anyone still have the original picture with the porch in the design from that Architectual Website? I think it would look great out there and it could be named Thome's Tier but from the lack of talk about it, I guess that plan has been squashed. Maybe Brooks could fill us in.
Finally, who should have the next Statue built in US Cellular to join The Old Roman and Fisk. How bout Apparicio flipping a double play ball to Fox? How bout Baines with the leg kick putting one out, maybe go with The Big Hurt blasting one with his back foot up off the ground(Maybe too early for that) but its an option, who do you think will be next?

BV2005
12-01-2005, 12:49 AM
I would like to see a Shoeless Joe statue personally, as for DJ I have no problem seing him gone hopefully they get Steve Stone to replace him

Nellie_Fox
12-01-2005, 12:51 AM
How bout Aparicio flipping a double play ball to Fox? IMHO, that one should have come before Fisk. I greatly admire Fisk, but both Luis and Nellie are in the HOF with a Sox cap on. Their statues should come together, as they are inextricably linked in the hearts and minds of Sox fans.

Banix12
12-01-2005, 12:52 AM
I'm all for the statue being Frank, possibly an action pose of him just finishing up a homerun swing.

If I'm not mistaken the Homerun Porch idea was scrapped. The only renovations for the future seem to be the seats.

nodiggity59
12-01-2005, 01:02 AM
If the Sox got Steve Stone, that would be an additional coup in the ratings/popularity/image war with the Flubs. Like it or not, that battle is here to stay so we might as well win it. Stone has a large following and a lot of credibility in this town, and coupled with the championship his presence would further the "just win" image Brooks and Co have been going for b/c the Sox would not be afraid of someone who critiques the team when they lose.

Plus, he's a witty and insightful broadcaster.

nodiggity59
12-01-2005, 01:02 AM
I'm all for the statue being Frank, possibly an action pose of him just finishing up a homerun swing.

This must be done someday. POTW material. Great Idea :bandance:

Nellie_Fox
12-01-2005, 01:20 AM
I'm all for the statue being Frank, possibly an action pose of him just finishing up a homerun swing.Back foot off the ground, bat only held in his left hand after top-hand release.

But not yet. His career should be absolutely over before a statue is considered, just like retiring his number.

I think it would be phony to not offer him a contract, then retire his number and put up a statue while he goes to play for another team.

Nellie_Fox
12-01-2005, 01:23 AM
On my first reading, I missed your part about "Thome's Tier." Give me a break. The guy hasn't played a single out for the Sox, and you're ready to start naming parts of the ballpark after him? Based on what, his performance with the Jndjans?

Banix12
12-01-2005, 01:26 AM
Back foot off the ground, bat only held in his left hand after top-hand release.

But not yet. His career should be absolutely over before a statue is considered, just like retiring his number.

I think it would be phony to not offer him a contract, then retire his number and put up a statue while he goes to play for another team.

I don't know how phony it is. Sox retired Baines' number and he played 10+ years after that.

I would leave it up to Frank. If he is still playing next year and he feels like being part of a Frank Thomas appreciation day with his number retired and a statue unveiling before his playing days are over then I say go ahead. If he would prefer to wait until he is completely finished then honor his request and delay.

Whenever it happens though it will be a beautiful sight.

Nellie_Fox
12-01-2005, 01:33 AM
I don't know how phony it is. Sox retired Baines' number and he played 10+ years after that. And I already stated in another thread that I thought that was incredibly stupid. I don't think any other team has retired the number of a player who was still active on another team.

Jenks4Pres
12-01-2005, 01:35 AM
I would love to see stoney in the booth. That guy knows the game!

Banix12
12-01-2005, 01:59 AM
And I already stated in another thread that I thought that was incredibly stupid. I don't think any other team has retired the number of a player who was still active on another team.

Maybe it was because I was really young when it happened but I loved when they retired his number early. People can differ on their opinions of this though and I respect your opinion on it. At the time I just thought it was a wonderful show of respect to what Harold had meant to the team but I can see how some people, not necessarily you but just me thinking out loud, can think "If you like him so much to retire his number why isn't he still on the team."

Like I said, leave it up to Frank.

getonbckthr
12-01-2005, 02:14 AM
UH OHHHHHH:DJ

MsSoxVixen22
12-01-2005, 08:16 AM
I'm not a big Steve Stone person-I'd rather see Black Jack or hell even Fisk. But that's just MHO.

Frater Perdurabo
12-01-2005, 08:20 AM
I'd like to see (hear) a TV booth with Hawk and Stone. An over-the-top homer with someone who isn't afraid to rip poor play. It would bring credibility back to the Sox TV booth in the minds of those who don't like Hawk and make the booth a bit less of the circus that it (admittedly) sometimes can be.

For the umpteenth time, a second deck would be a so-called "Home Run Porch" in name only. Search the WSI message board archives for discussions about the origins of the term "Home Run Porch." A second deck above lower deck outfield stands is not a "Home Run Porch" except in the minds of those who don't know the history of the term. That being said, the idea of a second deck above the RF stands is a good one, as long as it's not too imposing. Remember, though, that any major alterations to U.S. Cellular almost certainly would have major unintended effects on how the park plays. Adding the new upper deck roof clearly made batted balls fly farther irrespective of the field to which they were hit. Adding a new structure with a roof almost certainly would have unintended consequences.

Finally, I'd like to see statues of Aparachio and Fox turing a double play unveiled in 2006. Whenever Frank announces his retirement, I want the Sox to schedule a ceremony to retire his #35 and unveil a 10-foot tall statue of him in the pose Nellie described above. (Frank always has been "larger than life.") Obviously, it would take months for a sculptor to make the statue, so the Sox ought to commission the artist immediately just in case he decides to retire this offseason or during the 2006 season.

As a post-script, whenever Ozzie decides to quit (he's not going to get fired!), the Sox need to unveil a statue of him, too.

Hangar18
12-01-2005, 08:32 AM
On my first reading, I missed your part about "Thome's Tier." Give me a break. The guy hasn't played a single out for the Sox, and you're ready to start naming parts of the ballpark after him? Based on what, his performance with the Jndjans?

I agree. Naming a part of the park for him, even though he hasnt played a single game is very CUB-LIKE. Heck, the Cubs would immediately have a bobblehead for him .........they'd start Airbrushing him into team pictures from the 80's and 90's

twsoxfan5
12-01-2005, 08:41 AM
I'm not a big Steve Stone person-I'd rather see Black Jack or hell even Fisk. But that's just MHO.

I don't understand why everyone still loves Fisk so much. He has proven that he is a jerk in public numerous times and dont think he deserves a statue in our park at all. IMO he is a Red Sox player not a White Sox player.

oeo
12-01-2005, 08:44 AM
Back foot off the ground, bat only held in his left hand after top-hand release.

I don't want anyone to ever where #35 again. At least I'd hope they wouldn't let that happen, but why not retire it right away?

kjkobs
12-01-2005, 09:06 AM
I don't want anyone to ever where #35 again. At least I'd hope they wouldn't let that happen, but why not retire it right away?

Even if they don't officially retire the number immediately after he leaves/retires, I highly doubt we would see another Sox player don the #35 jersey again.

MadetoOrta
12-01-2005, 09:08 AM
Frank's done. It's now a question of how he goes about retiring. I think it should be a nationally televised spectical on Opening Night in April. The guy is the best right-handed hitter [no-steroids] of the modern era. Here's hoping the class he exuded during the playoffs and World Series will take him over the top with the east coast writers. Let's face it, Santo's not in the Hall of Fame because he was a jerk to the media. Doesn't make it right but that's how it works.

Hitmen77
12-01-2005, 09:37 AM
I would like to see any of the following as the "next statue":

- Luke Appling
- Fox/Aparicio duo
- Shoeless Joe Jackson

Regarding the so-called HR porch, I think it depends on how supply/demand for tickets work out for the Sox in the next few years. If they are consistently getting alot of sellouts and feel that adding the extra seats would generate more revenue, then I think they'll find a way to get it done.

antitwins13
12-01-2005, 09:40 AM
I'd like to see DJ back, no homerun porch, Big Frank as next statue.

mweflen
12-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Frank's done. It's now a question of how he goes about retiring. I think it should be a nationally televised spectical on Opening Night in April. The guy is the best right-handed hitter [no-steroids] of the modern era. Here's hoping the class he exuded during the playoffs and World Series will take him over the top with the east coast writers. Let's face it, Santo's not in the Hall of Fame because he was a jerk to the media. Doesn't make it right but that's how it works.

I don't think Frank will retire. Here or somewhere else, I think he wants to at least play in a limited capacity, like 300-400 ABs, and pad his numbers, which I'm no doubt sure he can do (just look at his '05 stats). Somebody will want him for that pop. Tampa Bay, the A's, Kansas City, there are lots of teams who will gladly take on a part-time DH with big pop for $2-3 mil.

Either way, as soon as Frank hangs it up, I think the aformenetioned statue and his retired jersey are the first ones that should go up. Frank IS the Sox. He was The Man for 15 years.

SaltyPretzel
12-01-2005, 10:04 AM
If Joe Jackson gets a statue, Buck Weaver would definitely deserve one also.

gobears1987
12-01-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm not a big Steve Stone person-I'd rather see Black Jack or hell even Fisk. But that's just MHO.I have one response:
ROCKIN ROBIN
or
DON PALL

mdep524
12-01-2005, 10:17 AM
I'd like to see (hear) a TV booth with Hawk and Stone. An over-the-top homer with someone who isn't afraid to rip poor play. It would bring credibility back to the Sox TV booth in the minds of those who don't like Hawk and make the booth a bit less of the circus that it (admittedly) sometimes can be.

For the umpteenth time, a second deck would be a so-called "Home Run Porch" in name only. Search the WSI message board archives for discussions about the origins of the term "Home Run Porch." A second deck above lower deck outfield stands is not a "Home Run Porch" except in the minds of those who don't know the history of the term. That being said, the idea of a second deck above the RF stands is a good one, as long as it's not too imposing. Remember, though, that any major alterations to U.S. Cellular almost certainly would have major unintended effects on how the park plays. Adding the new upper deck roof clearly made batted balls fly farther irrespective of the field to which they were hit. Adding a new structure with a roof almost certainly would have unintended consequences.

Finally, I'd like to see statues of Aparachio and Fox turing a double play unveiled in 2006. Whenever Frank announces his retirement, I want the Sox to schedule a ceremony to retire his #35 and unveil a 10-foot tall statue of him in the pose Nellie described above. (Frank always has been "larger than life.") Obviously, it would take months for a sculptor to make the statue, so the Sox ought to commission the artist immediately just in case he decides to retire this offseason or during the 2006 season.

As a post-script, whenever Ozzie decides to quit (he's not going to get fired!), the Sox need to unveil a statue of him, too. Yeah...uhh... what he said.

slavko
12-01-2005, 10:35 AM
UH OHHHHHH:DJ

His pic and bio were still on the Sox website last time I looked. Rooney's were gone as soon as he said he was leaving.

Baby Fisk
12-01-2005, 10:42 AM
1. DJ can take a hike. Black Jack would be a cool replacement.
2. Adding a "Home Run Porch" would be as appropriate as those gigantic spoilers that people add to the backs of japanese sports cars. Meaning: Don't do it!
3. Aparicio-Fox statues -- long overdue.

ws05champs
12-01-2005, 10:44 AM
I'd love to see DJ gone. His cute comments and DJ-isms were an embarrassment. I'd be surprised if Hawk didn't have to slap him sometimes to keep him in line. Even when he was serious, he added little to your understanding of what was going on in the game.

If the audio sync between the TV and radio wasn't so bad I would never have the sound of my TV on.

WestSideWhiteSox
12-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Bummer that no one has mentioned Minnie Minoso yet. I'd like to see a statue of him crashing into the outfield wall. Maybe not right away, but certainly at some point. Anyone else?

I'd vote first for the Aparicio/Fox combo at this point, and then Harold before Big Frank. A statue is akin to a local Hall of Fame induction, so there should be some space in between a player's career and his deification.

Baby Fisk
12-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Bummer that no one has mentioned Minnie Minoso yet. I'd like to see a statue of him crashing into the outfield wall. Maybe not right away, but certainly at some point. Anyone else?

Um...there already is a Minoso statue. :?:

soxfanreggie
12-01-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm sorry to say...while Fisk may deserve a statue, I would have unveiled it later. I agree with those who say Appling and Fox deserved them more. Fisk...yeah he was good, but when I think of great White Sox players...I think of Luke and Nellie before Fisk. I think we are way over-doing it in trying to suck-up to Fisk.

batmanZoSo
12-01-2005, 11:21 AM
I agree. Naming a part of the park for him, even though he hasnt played a single game is very CUB-LIKE. Heck, the Cubs would immediately have a bobblehead for him .........they'd start Airbrushing him into team pictures from the 80's and 90's

It was Thome who hit the homer in Game 3, not Blum. They used computers to change it.

HITMEN OF 77
12-01-2005, 11:22 AM
I for one, want to see Dj back. I love listening to him. He adds something to each broadcast and whether its good or bad, I think Hawk enjoys him as well. I can't see Steve Stone working with Hawk. 2 big ego's in one booth, no way it will work.

skobabe8
12-01-2005, 02:21 PM

They should have one of Minnie in his batting stance.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2004/09/20/CCDBhe32.jpg

soxrme
12-01-2005, 03:35 PM
IMHO, that one should have come before Fisk. I greatly admire Fisk, but both Luis and Nellie are in the HOF with a Sox cap on. Their statues should come together, as they are inextricably linked in the hearts and minds of Sox fans.
I agree 100% Nellie and Louie should be next and should have come way before Fisk.

Hitmen77
12-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Um...there already is a Minoso statue. :?:

We need a spare Minoso statue for when Cub fans vandalize the main statue during the Cubs-Sox series.

Red Barchetta
12-01-2005, 08:06 PM
I would love too see the outfield concourse resurfaced with old style brick pavers and then decorated with White Sox Player statues. Add some trees and it could be a walk in the "White Sox Park". :redface:

The outfield wall pictures are OK, however I would rather have plaques or statues.

gaelhound
12-01-2005, 09:47 PM
I have never liked this retiring stuff. Way over used, in about fifty years guys will be wearing triple digits because most off the the single and double digits will be retired. I say give the rook #3, and tell him to honor it and live up to it!

WagMan
12-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Since we're talking about subtle changes at US Cellular Field, I had to throw this out there... Is there any way to increase the size of the gift shop/hall of fame behind home plate? Every other ballpark I've been to over the past couple of years has had a nice, open spaced place where more than 5 fans at a time can wander around and check out what's available. I think in Cinci there was a building right next to the park with a nice hall of fame and fan store which could be easily accessed during the game and any other time for that matter. Plus, I'm sure it also would triple the amount of merchandise they could sell at the Cell. Not to take anything away from Grandstands, but I'd rather buy memorabilia while at the game, not walking 1/2 mile down the road 30 minutes afterward.

Qdiddy
12-01-2005, 10:29 PM
What about Melido Perez for the next Statue? :) Soul Glow baby!

chisox77
12-01-2005, 11:56 PM
I like the Fox-to-Apiricio "double play combo" statue idea. It would be most fitting - the White Sox should do it while Apiricio is still alive, and there are a few surviving members of Nellie's family that would love to be present for that honor.

Other ideas, for a future time:

Somehow, the White Sox have to figure out a better way to display the statues they already have, with additions in mind. There should be an elevated space, somewhere in the outfield concourse, that can allow for these to be displayed more prominently and respectfully. There are three now (Minoso, Comiskey, and Fisk), and figure on Fox-Apiricio, and Luke Appling as well. Perhaps one of Bill Veeck should be made, but placed somewhere in the bleacher section, standing in a position that would actually give that section a very tasteful look with a fitting tribute to the "rebel owner" who mingled with the fans.

And for Frank, well the "Big Hurt" statue (when the time is right) should be outside the ballpark, right in front of what would be the home plate entrance. It should also be the biggest and most impressive statue, drawing immediate attention to one of the finest hitters in baseball, and the best hitter in White Sox history.

Lip Man 1
12-02-2005, 12:37 AM
To answer your questions:

1. The less we see of Darrin Jackson the better. The man has no business being in the broadcast booth for a MLB team.

2. There will not be a home run porch unless the Sox can sell something to another Chicago based company to pay for it. They will not do it themselves and there isn't enough money left from the Cellular company to pay for it.

3. The next statue should be either of Billy Pierce or a combo deal of Aparicio and Fox in action turning the double play.

Lip

Coolpapa
12-02-2005, 03:22 AM
http://www.savannahnow.com/features/playball/images/part2/harrelson1.jpg

A Hawk statue!

TomBradley72
12-02-2005, 03:44 AM
Ted Lyons deserves consideration....260 wins.....all time White Sox leader.

Fredsox
12-02-2005, 05:39 AM
Ted Lyons deserves consideration....260 wins.....all time White Sox leader.

Good call on Lyons. That is an excellent suggestion.

My personal favorite would be Wilbur Wood because he epitomized the working White Sox fan. An over-weight beer swilling guy who worked his butt off to overcome limited talent and be a force in the major leagues. Don't think his career was long enough to warrant a statue at Comiskey though. Maybe I'll put one on my lawn and piss off the cub fans in my neighborhood.

Red Barchetta
12-02-2005, 08:16 AM
Since we're talking about subtle changes at US Cellular Field, I had to throw this out there... Is there any way to increase the size of the gift shop/hall of fame behind home plate? Every other ballpark I've been to over the past couple of years has had a nice, open spaced place where more than 5 fans at a time can wander around and check out what's available. I think in Cinci there was a building right next to the park with a nice hall of fame and fan store which could be easily accessed during the game and any other time for that matter. Plus, I'm sure it also would triple the amount of merchandise they could sell at the Cell. Not to take anything away from Grandstands, but I'd rather buy memorabilia while at the game, not walking 1/2 mile down the road 30 minutes afterward.

I agree. Even before the big crowds, the place felt cramped. When the park is full, forget it. Took me 20 minutes just to get inside during the ALCS.