PDA

View Full Version : The Bench specuation thread

Banix12
12-01-2005, 12:19 AM
Other than the speculation about getting a new #2 hitter it seems like the White Sox everyday lineup seems pretty much set for next season.

So what about the bench?

So far it seems like there is only one true lock to make the White Sox bench next season and that is Chris Widger. Ozuna has been signed but he does have the option of being sent to the minors (though I kinda doubt that happening).

Timo, Gload and Harris are on the roster but I wouldn't consider them anywhere close to locks.

So using the Free Agent list and any reasonable trades you can think of, who would you put on the bench next season?

nodiggity59
12-01-2005, 01:09 AM
Other than the speculation about getting a new #2 hitter it seems like the White Sox everyday lineup seems pretty much set for next season.

So what about the bench?

So far it seems like there is only one true lock to make the White Sox bench next season and that is Chris Widger. Ozuna has been signed but he does have the option of being sent to the minors (though I kinda doubt that happening).

Timo, Gload and Harris are on the roster but I wouldn't consider them anywhere close to locks.

So using the Free Agent list and any reasonable trades you can think of, who would you put on the bench next season?

Widger, Ozuna, Cintron/Mueller, Borchard, and Thomas.

buehrle4cy05
12-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Pablo, Widge, Harris, Owens/Borchard.

I think Willie makes it. He can be used along with Ozuna as a pinch runner, and I still have a little faith in his hitting. I think they need backup outfielders more than a guy like Cintron (Pablo can already play 3/4 infield positions, and our DH can play some first, too), and it will come down to Owens and Borchard, IMO. I think in that race they take Borchard because they already have 2 speed guys off the bench and Pods and BA are interchangeable in LF and CF.

Tragg
12-01-2005, 08:30 AM
I think we'll deal Marte and/or Willie (I read somewhere the cards are inquiring - his offense has improved) and sign or get another infielder and lefty reliever.

Borchard will take the Timo spot on the roster - all he has to do is get a .300 OBP to upgrade it.

Whitesox4ever
12-01-2005, 08:55 AM
I see our bench being

OF B Anderson
OF J Owens
Utilly B Mueller
Utily P Ozuna
C C Widger

Domeshot17
12-01-2005, 09:27 AM
I firmly Believe Owens will not be on the bench. Taking a young kid and making him the 4th OF seems like a waste when you consider you are costing him 200-250 at bats in the season if he was full time at triple A. IMHO, Owens will battle Anderson and Young for the LF Job. The next one will be replacing JD in 2007, and the final one replacing Pods or whichever of the 2 does not pan out. Borchard will be our 4th OF, with Gload serving the Timo Role, Pablo the Swing man Widge Catching and Bill Mueller the last utility role.

Since this thread is just a guess, not sure if teal or pink is really needed, but Gut Feeling has me believing Borchard splits time with Anderson and has himself a pretty decent year, 260 14 45 in a platoon role.

mdep524
12-01-2005, 10:55 AM
I see our bench being

OF B Anderson
OF J Owens
Utilly B Mueller
Utily P Ozuna
C C Widger With both Anderson AND Owens on the bench, who do you think will be starting everyday in CF?

I would be really surprised if Ozzie/KW took both Anderson and Owens up to the big club and made them bench players, especially Owens.

I'd like to see this bench:

OF Borchard
Util Mueller
Util Ozuna
Util Harris
C Widger

If Big Frank could be penciled in there, Harris could go.

Banix12
12-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Ok my two cents.

C. Widger
IF. Ozuna
IF. Harris
UT. Bill Hall
OF. Gabe Kapler

I'm not sure Bill Hall will be gettable, though according to some Brewer fans he is on the market, so few other options I would consider in the spot where Bill Hall is are maybe trading to get Keith Ginter off Oakland, I think Ty Wigginton is a non-tender possibility for the Pirates and would backup Crede nicely. Mueller would also be an option I would welcome but I just can't imagine a situation where he decides to become a reserve.

I just threw Kapler on there because I hate the idea of having either Timo or Borchard. I'm open to any other suggestions and he looked like a decent option on the FA list.

maurice
12-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Widger, Ozuna, Cintron/Mueller, Borchard

Yeah, something like this. Ozzie might want 12 pitchers. If they can't get anybody else to fill Blum's spot, then Harris might be back. Borch could be part of an open competition with some cheapo free agents. To break it down another way . . .

Backup C - Widger
Backup 1B - Thome
Backup 2B - Harris/Mueller/other
Backup SS - Ozuna
Backup 3B - Ozuna or Mueller/other
Backup RF - Borch/other
Backup CF - Podsednik or Borch/other
Backup LF - Ozuna
PR - Ozuna and Harris/other
PH - depends on the situation