PDA

View Full Version : Will Konerko wear the "C"

kruzer31
11-30-2005, 11:27 PM
Guillen had talked about if Paulie came back he would make him the Captain and rumors of him becoming the first player in Sox history to wear the "C" on his uniform were brought up. Now that its official, will he wear the "C" on the jersey as Hockey Captains do and Jason Veritek of the Red Sox did last year. What are your opinions either way.

nodiggity59
11-30-2005, 11:28 PM
No C. I don't like the idea of naming a team captain. Heck, I'm not sure PK deserves it more than MB.

Chisox003
11-30-2005, 11:29 PM
NO!!

(Sorry, I hate the "C" ... :redface: )

lths06
11-30-2005, 11:30 PM
I sincerly hope not. The whole idea of the 2005 club was "team baseball". Leave the C's on the jerseys for the Cubs and Red Sox. Our captain is Ozzie.

bobwsx
11-30-2005, 11:34 PM
I hate the whole C thing.It's not hockey.

Etownsox13
11-30-2005, 11:45 PM
NO WAY!!!!!!

Shammy wore the C for the North-siders...what a team player :rolleyes:

TRL
11-30-2005, 11:50 PM
I also hate the "C." If a guy truly is a captain, he doesn't need a stupid letter on his uniform to prove it.

Parrothead
12-01-2005, 12:07 AM
I am with everyone else. NO F"N C ! :o:

kevin57
12-01-2005, 12:19 AM
I say 'no' but in the end,

:whocares

Soxfan35
12-01-2005, 01:00 AM
It's a hockey thing, keep it that way. In hockey the captain and alternates have a purpose on the ice, being the guys who get to deal with the refs. In baseball obviously anyone can get in the umps face, regardless. Hopefully Ozzie and KW will keep it in hockey.

BV2005
12-01-2005, 01:31 AM
I have no problem with Konerko being a captain, he was the team leader last year why not give him the "C". I cant wait to stitch one on my PK jersey.

hsnterprize
12-01-2005, 01:37 AM
I'd rather not see the "C", but if it's going on the uniform, I'd rather see MLB implement a universal standard on where that "C" goes on the uniform. Either put it on the chest, or on a sleeve, but let it be the same for all teams. It looks stupid to me to see one team's captain with the "C" on the chest, and another team's captain wear it on the sleeve.

As far as Paulie's concerned, if it's anywhere on the uniform at all, let it be on the sleeve.

Black Jack
12-01-2005, 02:43 AM
http://members.cox.net/cheaphotel/Kap%27nK%27nerko.jpgARRRRR MATEY, SHIVER ME TIMBERS!

Seriously, captains are for hockey teams, the AL east, and sea vessels. The C looks terrible, perhaps if he did get to wear a white sox pirate hat it'd be alright.

IlliniSox4Life
12-01-2005, 05:22 AM
I don't really like it either, but in all reality, it's not a huge deal. C or no C, this team knows the leaders, Paulie is one, but so are MB and Ozzie. I'm sure other guys will step up and take leadership roles too.

starboy0
12-01-2005, 06:43 AM
I also hate the "C." If a guy truly is a captain, he doesn't need a stupid letter on his uniform to prove it.

Exactly. PK is definitely one of the leaders but there are others on certain days. Keep this a team; don't single out individuals.

veeter
12-01-2005, 07:09 AM
One type of reason Paulie is being named captain, is because he wouldn't want to wear a 'C'.

DumpJerry
12-01-2005, 08:07 AM
This makes us look like the Red Sawx, I don't like it. Maybe we should call him Kaptain Konerko? Officer Karkovice did not wear an "O" on his uni.....

itsnotrequired
12-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Eh, I guess I'm indifferent to the whole situation. I'd rather not see it but I'm not going to go off the deep end if a Sox player has a "C" on their jersey.

Fungo
12-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Cancer

steff
12-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Put it on Thome's jersey.. then sit back and listen for all the reasons not to give it to Konerko from his own mouth..

fquaye149
12-01-2005, 09:01 AM
Put it on Thome's jersey.. then sit back and listen for all the reasons not to give it to Konerko from his own mouth..

uhoh - that sound you heard was a can of worms being opened:o:

Frater Perdurabo
12-01-2005, 09:05 AM

:roflmao::rolling:

oeo
12-01-2005, 10:23 AM

Why, because everything Konerko says is taken way out of context? I know you're probably not implying that he's a bad clubhouse guy, but from all reports, he's great. I don't think any player has a problem with what he says, why do we get all hyped up about it?

Chicken Dinner
12-01-2005, 11:00 AM
"C"'s are stupid

3rd_Gen_Sox_Fan
12-01-2005, 11:01 AM
I would like to see Paulie named the Captain. He is clearly the leader of the team. And with him being here for the next 5 years I think he deserves it. But I agree with most of the other posters that a 'C' on the jersey is not necessary and kind of lame.

boiler up
12-01-2005, 11:30 AM
the c is something the cubs would do

mdep524
12-01-2005, 11:34 AM
I think it's a horrible, stupid, pretentious idea. I hope to God Ozzie comes to his senses and decides not to do it.

DenverSock
12-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Not all captains in baseball wear a "C", whether official or not. See Derek Jeter.

Hangar18
12-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Hell no. I do NOT want a "C" on the jersey. Team "captains" are for the AL East and Coat-tail riders like the Cubs. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Hangar18
12-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Cancer

C-ubs

nlentz88
12-01-2005, 12:25 PM
http://members.cox.net/cheaphotel/Kap%27nK%27nerko.jpgARRRRR MATEY, SHIVER ME TIMBERS!

Seriously, captains are for hockey teams, the AL east, and sea vessels. The C looks terrible, perhaps if he did get to wear a white sox pirate hat it'd be alright.

Nice pic! I would love to see Paulie wearing a White Sox pirate hat on the field next year. Maybe even get him a little parrot to sit on his shoulder and say, "Squak! Paulie wants a contract extension. Squak!"

steff
12-01-2005, 12:58 PM
uhoh - that sound you heard was a can of worms being opened:o:

Only for those that can't recognize a joke.. :rolleyes:

C-Dawg
12-01-2005, 01:06 PM
will he wear the "C" on the jersey as Hockey Captains do and Jason Veritek of the Red Sox did last year. What are your opinions either way.

Funny how Varitek wears the "C" but throughout the playoffs Chris Berman kept referring to Ortiz as the true leader of the team.

fquaye149
12-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Only for those that can't recognize a joke.. :rolleyes:

haha - the backlash was mild. mild!

RichFitztightly
12-01-2005, 01:57 PM

HAHAHAHA Shiver Me Timbers. I haven't laughed that hard since the Chuck Norris list that's been circulating around the internet.

itsnotrequired
12-01-2005, 02:19 PM
HAHAHAHA Shiver Me Timbers. I haven't laughed that hard since the Chuck Norris list that's been circulating around the internet.

"Rather than being birthed like a normal child, Chuck Norris instead decided to punch his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter he grew a beard."

:D:

The Deacon
12-01-2005, 02:25 PM
"Chuck Norris lost his viriginity before his dad did"

The Deacon
12-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Lou Gerhig wore the letter "C". That's pretty good comapny. I'm sure Paulie is honored and will wear it PROUDLY.
Paulie has certainly proved he is worthy of it.

cbrownson13
12-01-2005, 02:50 PM
According to rotoworld.com....

Paul Konerko will be named the team captain after re-signing with the White Sox yesterday.
Manager Ozzie Guillen also said he envisions a lineup with Jim Thome batting third, Konerko fourth and Jermaine Dye fifth. That makes a lot of sense to us. If Thome's close to his usual self, Konerko should have no trouble eclipsing his 2005 of 100 RBI. What makes less sense is Guillen adding that he'd look at Juan Uribe batting second, with Tadahito Iguchi probably in the sixth spot.

Jamieboy
12-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Whats the big deal with naming a team Captain? If there was to be one, I'd say Konerko or MB. But there's no problem with having one. Its giving him a prestegious honor. And unlike Sosa, Konerko is a true leader, and not getting it to simply massage his ego. After ending an 88 year WS drought, the team can do what it wants to flex its muscle. Plus I like that this isn't something MLB regulated. Its nice for teams do differentiate from another. No reason the "C" has to be the same for every team.

mikeybooyah
02-23-2006, 11:53 PM
I just heard on SportsCenter that Ozzie does want Paulie to wear the "C" to start a new tradition. And Konerko is going to do it. He said he was honored to be the first to start this tradition.

NSSoxFan
02-23-2006, 11:57 PM
I just heard on SportsCenter that Ozzie does want Paulie to wear the "C" to start a new tradition. And Konerko is going to do it. He said he was honored to be the first to start this tradition.

Ugh, why Ozzie, why?! The people who need to know that Paulie is the captain are going to know it, why add that stupid 'C'. :?:

areilly
02-24-2006, 12:08 AM
I, for one, think it's cool. No, this isn't hockey. Yes, the Yankees and Red Sox are stupid. Yes, Ozzie is the manager.

So what?

Paulie has been with the current team longer than anyone else on the active roster. He's been the only constant presence since his White Sox career began and as far as any of us know, he's always been the captain, or at least the closest thing to it. He's not calling for bunts, he's not arguing third strikes for other players and he's not calling pitches. All this is is recognition for what he means to the team and to the organization.

Listen to management tell it. Listen to what the other players have told us. The letter is just a formality.

Let the uniform say it loud and proud: "You **** with the White Sox, you **** with Paul Konerko. You **** with Paul Konerko, you **** with the White Sox. And you don't wanna **** with the White Sox!"

mccombe_35
02-24-2006, 12:18 AM
I don't like the move, but will try & get behind it. I liked it better when Ozzie was considered the captain & the players were considered equal.

Don't mean to be a "dark cloud" as you say, but....

- 2003 wasn't all that long ago.
- A team built on pitching, speed & defense.

Nellie_Fox
02-24-2006, 01:10 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole "C" on the uniform thing pretty recent for baseball? Teams used to have captains back in the thirties and forties, but I don't recall them ever wearing the "C" on the uniform.

That's always been a hockey thing, and there's a reason for it there. The captains and assistant captains are supposed to be the only ones who can discuss things with the referees, as the coaches can't come out on the ice, so the referees can quickly determine if this is the guy he's supposed to talk to. In baseball, the manager can come out and talk to the umpire.

mccombe_35
02-24-2006, 01:26 AM
I don't know when the "C" on the MLB jersey became a thing, but -

(according to baseball-almanac)

New York Yankees

Team Captains

Captain #
Date(s) Name Primary Position

1st
Hal Chase
1B

2nd
1914-1921
Roger Peckinpaugh
SS

3rd
05-20-1922 to 05-25-1922
Babe Ruth
OF

4th
1922-1925
Everett Scott
SS

5th
04-21-1935 to 06-02-1941
Lou Gehrig
1B

6th
04-17-1976 to 08-02-1979
Thurman Munson
C

7th
01-29-1982 to 03-30-1984
Graig Nettles
3B

8th
03-04-1986 to 10-02-1989
Willie Randolph
2B

9th
03-04-1986 to 07-12-1989
Ron Guidry
P

10th
02-28-1991 to 10-08-1995
Don Mattingly
1B

11th
06-03-2003 to Current
Derek Jeter
SS

funny how short &/or overlapped they were. Babe was a captain for 5 days.

CLR01
02-24-2006, 02:27 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole "C" on the uniform thing pretty recent for baseball? Teams used to have captains back in the thirties and forties, but I don't recall them ever wearing the "C" on the uniform.

That's always been a hockey thing, and there's a reason for it there. The captains and assistant captains are supposed to be the only ones who can discuss things with the referees, as the coaches can't come out on the ice, so the referees can quickly determine if this is the guy he's supposed to talk to. In baseball, the manager can come out and talk to the umpire.

They have captains in football too. The captains go out for the coin toss and communicate with the refs on penalties as far as accepting/declining.

soxfan1983
02-24-2006, 02:44 AM

Sweeney from KC has been wearing it for a while. I'm cool with Paulie wearing it.... he's the most level-headed person in baseball.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-24-2006, 09:09 AM

Fan love for the "C" is directly related to how close they are to their date of high school graduation.

Personally I'm all for the "C". But I also think the wives and girlfriends should carry pom poms and wear their man's championship ring on a chain around their neck, too.

:cool:

twsoxfan5
02-24-2006, 09:24 AM
I say 'no' but in the end,

:whocares

Couldn't agree more

Hangar18
02-24-2006, 09:52 AM
I thought long and hard about this one ..................
No. I dont like the idea of a "C" on the uniform. its very cub-like and bush.

oeo
02-24-2006, 09:58 AM
I thought long and hard about this one ..................
No. I dont like the idea of a "C" on the uniform. its very cub-like and bush.

The only "C" the Cubs have on their uniform is that dumb one they call a logo. How is this anything like the Cubs?

Madvora
02-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Strange quote by PK in the Tribune today talking about having Thome on the team and talking baseball with him.

"I've never really had a guy that I could look up to on my team that you know I could gain a lot of knowledge hitting-wise.

"We have a great coaching staff, hitting-wise, with Greg Walker and Harold Baines. There are a lot of guys who have been great hitters and been in big games. But there aren't too many hitters I've been around who have been older and who I've seen eye-to-eye with."

The first thing I think of it Frank Thomas. I guess they never talked hitting.

samram
02-24-2006, 10:25 AM
If PK wears the "C", the Sox will lose every game this year, maybe forever.

Sarcasm aside, it's not a big deal. Is PK going to think he's in charge of everything now? He'll make his own lineup everyday and tell Ozzie to **** off? All that's going to change is he'll have a C on his uniform. I think the team can deal with it.

Iwritecode
02-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Strange quote by PK in the Tribune today talking about having Thome on the team and talking baseball with him.

I'm not sure Frank could teach anyone how to hit if he wanted to. His style is too unique.

Iwritecode
02-24-2006, 10:26 AM
The only "C" the Cubs have on their uniform is that dumb one they call a logo. How is this anything like the Cubs?

Shammy wore a "C" on his chest for a long time.

samram
02-24-2006, 10:30 AM

Yeah, that C stood for "cheater."

Ol' No. 2
02-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Yeah, that C stood for "cheater.":nandrolone I never took illegal asteroids.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-24-2006, 11:07 AM
:nandrolone I never took illegal asteroids.
:nandrolone
"I also never took moon rocks, nor have I ever absconded with interstellar dust. These allegations are all false!"

flo-B-flo
02-24-2006, 11:46 AM
When I coached softball, the team got together and put the C on my uniform. The assistants wore an A. I always viewed my role as more of a manager. I didn't want an M because then when we suck I'm a moron. I don't like the C on the uniform. Hell, I don't even like the names on the home uniforms.

Baby Fisk
02-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Keith Hernandez:
http://www.onlinesports.com/images/phf-aadc020.gif

As for Konerko wearing the C: undecided (but it's certainly NOT a "cub thing" or "bush", Hangar.)

soxfan1983
02-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Yeah, that C stood for "cheater."

i thought it stood for "CORK"

Iwritecode
02-24-2006, 12:09 PM
i thought it stood for "CORK"

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:jwbcolfbAMMHvM:andrew.stottsan.net/images/posts/cork.jpg

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:FkWvMBRY_EVSSM:members.tripod.com/~NailThatCatfish/choke.jpg

oeo
02-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Oh, okay, I wasn't aware...sorry about that then.

But anyway, we don't know where he's going to wear it. What if he wears it on his sleeve, or somewhere not so noticeable? The Sox have been known to do things differently.

CaptainBallz
02-24-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the idea. I know Paulie' saying he's honored, but my guess is that he'd probably just like to be another member of the team. It just seems arbitrary. Leader's lead naturally, not because of a letter stitched on their uniform.

Oh well, as long as they win.....

soxinem1
02-24-2006, 12:40 PM

Raines was a pretty outstanding hitter himself, and Ozzie and Cora were both pretty decent as well, as far as the coaches go. Hope his comments don't offend anyone.

Nellie_Fox
02-24-2006, 12:58 PM
The only "C" the Cubs have on their uniform is that dumb one they call a logo. How is this anything like the Cubs?Note the "C" on Sosa's right sleeve. It doesn't stand for Cubs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2003/08/15/dodgers_cubs_ap/t1_sosa_ap.jpg

PaleHoseGeorge
02-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Oh, okay, I wasn't aware...sorry about that then.

But anyway, we don't know where he's going to wear it. What if he wears it on his sleeve, or somewhere not so noticeable? The Sox have been known to do things differently.

Fine, it's agreed! The Sox should stitch the "C" into the armpit of Konerko's shirt.

Works for me!
:thumbsup:

schmitty9800
02-24-2006, 01:44 PM
I'm not sure Frank could teach anyone how to hit if he wanted to. His style is too unique.Definitely agreed. He also had to change his style so many times to compensate for injuries, his massive frame, and age. He was never a vocal leader either, not a knock (he's still my favorite player), just that some guy's aren't that communicative.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-24-2006, 02:39 PM

That shocked me. That was a total slam on Frank Thomas. I don't understand why Paul-ee needed to go there at this time. If we are telling Frank to just shut-up about things and move on, the same should go for Paul-ee right? Paul-ee ripped on Thomas pretty hard a few years ago. So of course Frank didn't go out of his way to help him after that. I can't wait to turn the page on the past and open a new book for 2006.

patbooyah
02-24-2006, 04:37 PM
:walnuts

"yo no soy marinero
yo no soy marinero
soy capitan, soy capitan, soy capitan!"

oeo
02-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Note the "C" on Sosa's right sleeve. It doesn't stand for Cubs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2003/08/15/dodgers_cubs_ap/t1_sosa_ap.jpg
Ah, that's why I didn't notice it. I don't want them to be like the Cubs, but that is definately less noticable than on his chest...I didn't even know he wore it(never really paid attention to it either).