PDA

View Full Version : Giles goes back to the Pads

santo=dorf
11-30-2005, 10:06 PM
San Diego boards are saying he agreed to a 3/30 deal withan option for a 4th that could make it 36 million. The physical is tomorrow.

It's Time
11-30-2005, 10:25 PM
Being one of only a few good hitters on that team, they had to resign him.

South Side Irish
11-30-2005, 10:31 PM
I think Giles turned down some better offers. I believe the Cubs, Cardinals, Yankees, and possibly Blue Jays all offered more than 10 per. Sounds like another good guy who took less money to be where he belongs and is wanted.

MUsoxfan
11-30-2005, 10:40 PM
I think Giles turned down some better offers. I believe the Cubs, Cardinals, Yankees, and possibly Blue Jays all offered more than 10 per. Sounds like another good guy who took less money to be where he belongs and is wanted.

I read (well, on here) that the Blue Jays threw an astonishing figure at him. I for one am surprised he remains in SD

knocko94
11-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Living in Toronto and paying crazy Canadian income taxes probably wasn't very appealing to Mr. Giles.

FarWestChicago
11-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Living in Toronto and paying crazy Canadian income taxes probably wasn't very appealing to Mr. Giles.US tax + CA State Tax = Canadian Tax. And Toronto is a very nice city.

knocko94
11-30-2005, 10:56 PM
US tax + CA State Tax = Canadian Tax. And Toronto is a very nice city.

Well, maybe he had a talk with Ed Farmer.

:farmer

" I Hate Toronto."

Soxzilla
11-30-2005, 11:02 PM
US tax + CA State Tax = Canadian Tax. And Toronto is a very nice city.

That and I bet the cost of living is a lot less in Toronto than in Cali. He could have probably bought the skydome with the cash the Jays were reportedly throwing at him.

Norberto7
11-30-2005, 11:18 PM
The dominoes seem to be falling quickly this offseason. Aside from the Manny issue/non-issue, Furcal, and Burnett, haven't most major questions going into the offseason been answered?

Not having really followed previous offseasons too closely, is this the norm, or are things being resolved quicker?

StepsInSC
11-30-2005, 11:59 PM
It cannot be emphasized how much Giles hates the east coast. San Diego is also basically his home town. But again, Giles hates the east and has historically been open about his desire to live out west.

Nice to see the free agents this year arn't following solely the almighty dollar...

MUsoxfan
12-01-2005, 01:00 AM
Not having really followed previous offseasons too closely, is this the norm, or are things being resolved quicker?

Kind of a small FA class this year. No really good SP's on the market. Whatever Burnett gets is too much

FarWestChicago
12-01-2005, 01:20 AM
Kind of a small FA class this year. No really good SP's on the market. Whatever Burnett gets is too muchLOL, that kind of sums it up. :D:

The Deacon
12-01-2005, 09:34 AM
It cannot be emphasized how much Giles hates the east coast. San Diego is also basically his home town. But again, Giles hates the east and has historically been open about his desire to live out west.

Nice to see the free agents this year arn't following solely the almighty dollar...

too add...forgetting the mediocre baseball team. why would anyone want to leave San Diego? 75 year round, beaches, hot women in bikinis...

buehrle4cy05
12-01-2005, 11:09 AM
I think Giles knows that he will always have a shot to make the playoffs in the NL West on the Padres. To me, it looks like he re-signed there because he wants to play in the Postseason. He knows that SD is a horrible hitters' park, especially for lefties. Good move by Giles, he wants to win and that is more important than money.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2005, 11:20 AM
I read (well, on here) that the Blue Jays threw an astonishing figure at him. I for one am surprised he remains in SDMaybe their offer was in Canadian dollars.:redneck

MHOUSE
12-01-2005, 04:16 PM
I never heard anything about him possibly staying until they said he had resigned. If you listened to ESPN at all (oops) they had it as a foregone conclusion he would be in the AL East or with the Cardinals. I guess they forget there are baseball teams on the west coast. (surprise, surprise...) But, good for him sticking around there trading more money for his hometown and old team. If they put some more pieces in that puzzle, they could be a playoff team for a few years running the way the Dodgers and Giants have been in shambles the last year and so far this offseason.

pythons007
12-02-2005, 02:24 PM
too add...forgetting the mediocre baseball team. why would anyone want to leave San Diego? 75 year round, beaches, hot women in bikinis...

what he said:D: