PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal on what's next for the White Sox

gf2020
11-30-2005, 04:20 PM
Just posted at http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5123464:
Next on the White Sox's wish list: A free-agent infielder who could play third base and bat second, enabling second baseman Tadahito Iguchi to hit lower in the order.
I fail to see why we would feel the need upgrade third before center field unless something is seriously wrong with Crede that no one is talking about. A clutch, twenty something third baseman with great defense should not be platooning with anyone. Mueller also doesn't really add any speed and I'm not exactly thrilled with the notion of him playing second base at any point. Unless you get Mueller really cheap, I don't see it being worth it at the cost of flexibility at the deadline or upgrading center field right now.

maurice
11-30-2005, 04:35 PM
I fail to see why we would feel the need upgrade third before center field

IMO, KW is:
- looking for Crede insurance / backup, not a platoon partner
- not adding a CF, because they decided to play Anderson

Remaining "needs":
- Experienced backup IF
- LOOGY

Ol' No. 2
11-30-2005, 04:39 PM
Just posted at http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5123464:

I fail to see why we would feel the need upgrade third before center field unless something is seriously wrong with Crede that no one is talking about. A clutch, twenty something third baseman with great defense should not be platooning with anyone. Mueller also doesn't really add any speed and I'm not exactly thrilled with the notion of him playing second base at any point. Unless you get Mueller really cheap, I don't see it being worth it at the cost of flexibility at the deadline or upgrading center field right now.Rosenthal is being unnecessarily coy. How many free agent infielders are there who could play 3rd and bat second?

socko82
11-30-2005, 04:59 PM
How many free agent infielders are there who could play 3rd and bat second?

Bill Mueller

Also I heard Rick Hahn drop the name Tony G (just as in a Tony G type) in an interview over the weekend.

voodoochile
11-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Bill Mueller

Also I heard Rick Hahn drop the name Tony G (just as in a Tony G type) in an interview over the weekend.

Not after he let that 3-run jack go under his glove and through his legs...:wink:

Randar68
11-30-2005, 05:03 PM
I fail to see why we would feel the need upgrade third before center field unless something is seriously wrong with Crede that no one is talking about. A clutch, twenty something third baseman with great defense should not be platooning with anyone. Mueller also doesn't really add any speed and I'm not exactly thrilled with the notion of him playing second base at any point. Unless you get Mueller really cheap, I don't see it being worth it at the cost of flexibility at the deadline or upgrading center field right now.

Crede has 2 herniated discs in his back, it's called "insurance". In addition, CF is not a long-term issue for this team. Anderson, Young, Owens, hell BORCH, all have a chance to play that position at worst at an MLB-average level, Anderson and Young far above that...

You don't sign players at the positions you have the greatest likelihood of producing very good MLB regulars at for a price that would be very low for 3-5 years.

TheOldRoman
11-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Crede has 2 herniated discs in his back, it's called "insurance". In addition, CF is not a long-term issue for this team. Anderson, Young, Owens, hell BORCH, all have a chance to play that position at worst at an MLB-average level, Anderson and Young far above that...

You don't sign players at the positions you have the greatest likelihood of producing very good MLB regulars at for a price that would be very low for 3-5 years.
I agree that Mueller would be good insurance, though I am not sure he would sign here to ride the pine.
The most important thing is, we are not signing Mueller to bat 2 and move Iguchi down in the order. He will not bat everygame. Crede is our everyday 3B unless he gets injured, and Thome is our everyday DH. Unless Mueller wants to play CF, he can't hit 2 every day.
If KW really plans on getting an everyday 2 hitter to move Iguchi down, he will almost certainly have to play CF. The only exception is signing Furcal, but that doesn't look like it will happen.

Banix12
11-30-2005, 08:18 PM
I like Mueller just fine but he is still a capable starter and I doubt he comes here to be a reserve.

Looking at the available middle infielders I don't much like what is available, I think it might be best to wait and see who gets non-tendered. Maybe someone good will come available like AJ last season. Then maybe trade for someone if nothing comes up.

It's nice though that the sox seemed to get most of their issues solved before december. Now prepare for a few months of primarily talking about "who is the fourth OF?" and other Tallest Midget Debates.

nccwsfan
11-30-2005, 08:55 PM
IMO, KW is:

Remaining "needs":
- Experienced backup IF
- LOOGY

Experienced backup IF- would you say Bill Mueller best fits the bill here?

LOOGY- Maybe someone like a Chris Hammond? He's long in the tooth but looks like he still puts up helpful numbers: Good K/BB ratio, low WHIP, decent BA and ERA...maybe as a one year option?

Banix12
11-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Experienced backup IF- would you say Bill Mueller best fits the bill here?

LOOGY- Maybe someone like a Chris Hammond? He's long in the tooth but looks like he still puts up helpful numbers: Good K/BB ratio, low WHIP, decent BA and ERA...maybe as a one year option?

hammond is better than most of the options but hardly the ideal. I really don't like most of the FA Left Handed middle relievers on the market. Eyre was really the only guy worth signing. Most of the rest of them are barely deserving of spring training invites and the few that have put up decent numbers are getting old like Hammond.

Tragg
11-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Another bat is a need - we still don't have a bench bat. Perez was just awful 2 years in a row. If Crede's health is in doubt, then another infielder is a great idea - particularly one who can hit.

If CF were a problem area, there was a simple solution - don't trade our CF. i.e., it isn't a problem area, because defensively, which is the most important aspect, it's taken care of 90% sure. There is nothing wrong with playing a young guy, particularly when they play good D, have a ton of potential, and when the best of the alternatives are average ballplayers (worse than average defensively). Thank goodness we were patient with Crede, Cotts and Garland and didn't, oh, trade for Joe RAnda or something ridiculous like that.

Tekijawa
12-01-2005, 08:30 AM
I also believe that Crede's in his last year of arbitration and has Boras for an Agent... maybe he's just thinking ahead? Maybe not right now but mid-season would be the best time to explore options at third.

Randar68
12-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Another bat is a need - we still don't have a bench bat. Perez was just awful 2 years in a row. If Crede's health is in doubt, then another infielder is a great idea - particularly one who can hit.

The biggest problem we had for most of the season was we didn't have a legit back-up SS on the roster. How do you fill that need? Need a guy that can also back-up Crede as well, so who is left?

Looks like Nomar is about it to me.

The Deacon
12-01-2005, 09:36 AM
The biggest problem we had for most of the season was we didn't have a legit back-up SS on the roster. How do you fill that need? Need a guy that can also back-up Crede as well, so who is left?

Looks like Nomar is about it to me.

IMO, Nomar to platoon everyone (SS,2B,3B,occasional DH, OF) would be SWEET. He needs 1-2 days off a week anyway. The talk is this will be his role with any team he signs with. Indians and Yankees are supposedly pursuing him. It would be great to swipe him from the Indians.

Crede_Fan
12-01-2005, 09:46 AM
IMO, Nomar to platoon everyone (SS,2B,3B,occasional DH, OF) would be SWEET. He needs 1-2 days off a week anyway. The talk is this will be his role with any team he signs with. Indians and Yankees are supposedly pursuing him. It would be great to swipe him from the Indians.

I like the idea of Nomar for the reasons stated above. Also for the just in case of injury. There's no way that we stay healthy at all of the infield spots. And Nomar could fit the bill at all spots except maybe 1st, but I think he could adjust to play in a jam.

Also, I would love for him to come to the other side of town and have a great year with us as we go Back to Back.

The Deacon
12-01-2005, 09:49 AM
I like the idea of Nomar for the reasons stated above. Also for the just in case of injury. There's no way that we stay healthy at all of the infield spots. And Nomar could fit the bill at all spots except maybe 1st, but I think he could adjust to play in a jam.

Also, I would love for him to come to the other side of town and have a great year with us as we go Back to Back.

He is also a perfect #2 hitter, he is always putting the ball in play and never strikes out.
My guess is that he'll want too much $$$ for our liking.

Man Soo Lee
12-01-2005, 05:24 PM
I also believe that Crede's in his last year of arbitration and has Boras for an Agent... maybe he's just thinking ahead?

Crede is in his first year of arbitration and won't be a free agent until after the 2008 season.

Gremlin3
12-01-2005, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE=Crede_Fan]I like the idea of Nomar for the reasons stated above. Also for the just in case of injury. There's no way that we stay healthy at all of the infield spots. And Nomar could fit the bill at all spots except maybe 1st, but I think he could adjust to play in a jam.QUOTE]

He wouldnt need to play 1st anyway, put Thome at 1st and DH Nomar.

RallyBowl
12-01-2005, 06:46 PM
**** Nomar. And Mueller. They suck.

Al Franken AA
12-01-2005, 10:28 PM
There's no way the Sox are going to completely overlook Joe Crede.

Hitmen77
12-01-2005, 11:09 PM
IMO, KW is:

Remaining "needs":
- Experienced backup IF
- LOOGY

I had to look this one up: :redface:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Acronym=LOOGY}

Lefty One-Out Guy (baseball)

doctor30th
12-01-2005, 11:37 PM

Sooo...you want a guy who has some injury issues to play at least 4 different positions in the field. I can see the infield, but I think the outfield would be a groin injury for him.

Sargeant79
12-02-2005, 02:23 AM
I didn't like the idea of Nomar being put into a role where he was relied upon as a main bat in the lineup (for example, a backup plan if Konerko left). But I don't mind the idea of him as a platoon guy. I think his versatility in the field actually would reduce the number of position players you had to keep on the roster, plus his bat is pretty damn good when he's healthy. If he's not healthy, he's in a role where his absence doesn't affect the team as much as if he was the starting SS or 3rd baseman.

But I think the chance of it happening is damn near zero. He will want too much money for that type of role, and someone will pay close to what he's asking for. Plus, Nomar thinks he can be an everyday player, and I expect there are several teams out there that will agree with him. Bill Mueller, although he doesn't play the outfield, may prove to be a much more economical solution if you can get him for a couple million or less. IIRC, his 2005 salary was 2.5 million.