PDA

View Full Version : More Speed In 06??

Sox35th
11-30-2005, 03:52 PM
First of I would like to say it's great to have PK and JT locked up for next season!! But, my question is how many of you think we will need more speed for next season? We all know Konerko, Thome, and Pierzinski are not speed burners. Scottie Pods and Iguchi are the ones at the top that got things done, but we all know what happend when Pods went down last season. Will Ozzie push to get more speed (pick-up/deal) or will be see more of Harris and Ozuna next season? I know we will see Brian Anderson next season......but I don't think he is a speed guy.

So, are we good with the speed we have or is there room for improvement?

SkeetSkeetAmit
11-30-2005, 03:59 PM
That's my only question I have for next season too. I thought I heard Anderson is faster than Rowand, which is good because Rowand did steal for us in the past. But another speed guy would be awesome to hit #2.

Palehose13
11-30-2005, 03:59 PM
First of I would like to say it's great to have PK and JT locked up for next season!! But, my question is how many of you think we will need more speed for next season? We all know Konerko, Thome, and Pierzinski are not speed burners. Scottie Pods and Iguchi are the ones at the top that got things done, but we all know what happend when Pods went down last season. Will Ozzie push to get more speed (pick-up/deal) or will be see more of Harris and Ozuna next season? I know we will see Brian Anderson next season......but I don't think he is a speed guy.

So, are we good with the speed we have or is there room for improvement?

I'm not so sure KW is done yet and speed is next on his list. IIRC, KW or Ozzie stated that they were looking at getting more speed.

Iguana775
11-30-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm not so sure KW is done yet and speed is next on his list. IIRC, KW or Ozzie stated that they were looking at getting more speed.

Yea, I thought I read that KW wanted a more true #2 so Gooch can be allowed to hit in a spot to take advantage of his power.

julio-cruz
11-30-2005, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Guillen trying Jerry Owens and Anderson out in a platoon situation at center and batting 2nd.

KRS1
11-30-2005, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Guillen trying Jerry Owens and Anderson out in a platoon situation at center and batting 2nd.

It might come down to a battle in ST, but IMO there is no way we let one of those guys sit the bench when they could be getting crucial ABs in Charlotte.

getonbckthr
11-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Pierre and Mota for Harris, Anderson, Marte and Vizcaino. Then to free up cash to pay them El Duque to Texas for a(some) prospect(s).

KRS1
11-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Pierre and Mota for Harris, Anderson, Marte and Vizcaino. Then to free up cash to pay them El Duque to Texas for a(some) prospect(s).

Mota's in Beantown bro.

daveeym
11-30-2005, 04:14 PM
I think we're fine as is but it would be nice to add some more speed. We really haven't lost any speed right now. All indications are that Rowand and Anderson are relatively equal. I think ozzie and kw would like to add some speed if it fits the budget, clubhouse and is an overall upgrade for the position (ie centerfield) but that thier approach right now would be that it is a luxury that we can luckily afford right now. Meaning we're set everywhere else, have a whole lot of intangibles to offer right now, probably have some payroll flexibility but aren't hard up for speed.

FloridaSox
11-30-2005, 04:18 PM

Pretty hard to trade for Mota when he is already in Boston.

getonbckthr
11-30-2005, 04:26 PM
Pretty hard to trade for Mota when he is already in Boston.
Man i've been so into the Thome-PK stuff I didn't realize Mota went to BOston too. Sorry bout that one.

Chicken Dinner
11-30-2005, 04:28 PM
I think we're fine as is but it would be nice to add some more speed. We really haven't lost any speed right now. All indications are that Rowand and Anderson are relatively equal. I think ozzie and kw would like to add some speed if it fits the budget, clubhouse and is an overall upgrade for the position (ie centerfield) but that thier approach right now would be that it is a luxury that we can luckily afford right now. Meaning we're set everywhere else, have a whole lot of intangibles to offer right now, probably have some payroll flexibility but aren't hard up for speed.

I think Konerko will be much slower with all that money in his pocket.

FloridaSox
11-30-2005, 04:30 PM

Rick Hahn made clear that we are looking for high OBP...read Bill Mueller...and not necessarily speed in the # 2 hole.

Chisox003
11-30-2005, 04:34 PM
Why would we do that in the first place? Pierre would be a 1 year stop gap, and Anderson's ceiling is ridiculously high right now....

I wouldn't even think about doing that trade, personally....

Keep this team right here, MAYBE add a guy like Billy Mueller, and we're set...The '06 White Sox are damn good as of right now

Dan Mega
11-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Where would Mueller play if the Sox signed him? I can't see that happening.

nccwsfan
11-30-2005, 04:44 PM

Insurance for Joe Crede, who's apparently having some back problems.

LINK (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051125soxthome,1,7147203.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

nodiggity59
11-30-2005, 04:44 PM

If Mueller wants to play for a top 5 team, he'll have to sign as a backup for slightly less $. It's up to him.

Chisox003
11-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Insurance for Joe Crede, who's apparently having some back problems.

LINK (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051125soxthome,1,7147203.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)
That especially, but also for some big time flexibility.

Then you have Mueller and Pablo, 2 utility guys, plus Thome who could spell Paulie every few days.

Not to mention, a guy like Mueller pinch hitting off the bench isn't exactly a bad thing. I think he'd be a great fit for this team, but if not, like I said I'm pretty damn happy with how the 2006 Sox are looking.

nccwsfan
11-30-2005, 04:54 PM
That especially, but also for some big time flexibility.

Then you have Mueller and Pablo, 2 utility guys, plus Thome who could spell Paulie every few days.

Not to mention, a guy like Mueller pinch hitting off the bench isn't exactly a bad thing. I think he'd be a great fit for this team, but if not, like I said I'm pretty damn happy with how the 2006 Sox are looking.

This would be a great addition, and if they were to sign Mueller I'd be 100% content with the makeup of this team going in to Spring Training....we'll see.

TheOldRoman
11-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Rick Hahn made clear that we are looking for high OBP...read Bill Mueller...and not necessarily speed in the # 2 hole.
The only problem is that Mueller couldn't bat in the 2 hole everyday. He could hit there while spelling Crede or maybe even Uribe, but that's it. If Crede is healthy, he is our everyday 3B. Unless we make some big moves, any 2 hitter we get is going to have to play CF.

nccwsfan
11-30-2005, 09:27 PM
The only problem is that Mueller couldn't bat in the 2 hole everyday. He could hit there while spelling Crede or maybe even Uribe, but that's it. If Crede is healthy, he is our everyday 3B. Unless we make some big moves, any 2 hitter we get is going to have to play CF.

Yep. That would be Mueller's role here, to backup or temporarily replace Crede should he be dinged up.

KRS1
11-30-2005, 09:29 PM
To further stray from the topic at hand, does anyone(Randar, Maurice) know if any of the current 6 year FAs could step in as a quality 3rd base back-up plan or evena utility guy?

TheOldRoman
11-30-2005, 09:29 PM
Yep. That would be Mueller's role here, to backup or temporarily replace Crede should he be dinged up.
My point is, Mueller could not be our 2 hitter except for the 1-2 games a week he starts to rest Crede or Uribe. He certainly won't be our DH, so there is nowhere to play him. Iguchi would still hit 2 the majority of the time.

veeter
11-30-2005, 09:38 PM
The Sox have lost virtually no speed from last year. But the speed game goes way beyond fast players. Well executed hitting and running and aggressive baserunning are what made the Sox special last year. Pods was the only true base stealer. Heck, PK went from first to third with regularity last year. Good contact hitters and good managing by Ozzie will get it done. The addition of Mueller would be perfect for this team.