PDA

View Full Version : With PK signed where does Manny go?

Fenway
11-30-2005, 02:35 PM
With the White Sox doing the right thing with PK now you have to wonder will Anaheim look to Boston for a trade for Manny?

What should the Red Sox do?

I suspect this will be the big topic in Dallas next week.

Red Sox fans are screaming KEEP HIM
http://keepmanny.com/

mjmcend
11-30-2005, 02:36 PM
I voted for other. As in who cares? The Red Sox still don't have the pitching.

antitwins13
11-30-2005, 02:37 PM
I have a feeling he'll be back in "Beantown". It's where he can make the most cash and he loves hitting in that ball park.

Ol' No. 2
11-30-2005, 02:38 PM
With the White Sox doing the right thing with PK now you have to wonder will Anaheim look to Boston for a trade for Manny?

What should the Red Sox do?

I suspect this will be the big topic in Dallas next week.

Red Sox fans are screaming KEEP HIM
http://keepmanny.com/Everything so far out of Boston indicates that the Red Sox are NOT willing to eat a lot of Manny's salary. As long as that's the case, he's going NOWHERE. And he WILL report for spring training. Any comments he made to the contrary are just Manny being Manny.

DaBears
11-30-2005, 02:38 PM

Exactly...who cares!!! I am just glad he aint coming here

SOXintheBURGH
11-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Enjoy the Manny urine on the Monster, Red Cubs fans! He's all yours!

zach23
11-30-2005, 02:41 PM
I wish we could send Manny, the Red Cubs organization, the Yankees, and all the dopes at ESPN that fawn over them to a place where we would never hear another thing about them ever again.

The Racehorse
11-30-2005, 02:42 PM

:rolling:

Fenway
11-30-2005, 03:07 PM

Maybe we should be ivy on the Monster

elrod
11-30-2005, 03:07 PM

That Beckett character can throw pretty well. And I bet Papeljohn will be a solid starter (not to mention he has a great name to say with a Boston accent...almost as much fun as Karpotsev). But without Manny, the Red Sox will struggle mightily.

Mohoney
11-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Everything so far out of Boston indicates that the Red Sox are NOT willing to eat a lot of Manny's salary. As long as that's the case, he's going NOWHERE. And he WILL report for spring training. Any comments he made to the contrary are just Manny being Manny.

Unless they are willing to take below-market value in terms of talent, which is something that they also seem unwilling to do.

They aren't going to get the best of both worlds, so they will end up keeping him.

Ol' No. 2
11-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Unless they are willing to take below-market value in terms of talent, which is something that they also seem unwilling to do.

They aren't going to get the best of both worlds, so they will end up keeping him.I'm not sure even taking below-market value in return is enough. They put him on waivers a couple of years ago and there were no takers. True, he's got two fewer years remaining on that contract, but I doubt there are more than 2 or 3 teams that would even consider it.

Baby Fisk
11-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Anyone willing to take a risk with Manchild can't afford him. He's staying in Boston.

MarySwiss
11-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Sheesh! Just got through watching PTI. (I know; I need to stop doing that.)

Anyway, they devoted a segment to Konerko. Or so they said. It really turned into the usual PTI crap, with Wilbon pointing out that WS champs almost never repeat. Then Kornheiser started up with his usual "Sawx" talk. WOW! THEY GOT JOSH BECKETT!

'Kay. So I guess there's no need to play the 2006 season.

Oh, sorry. This thread is about where Manny goes. Said it before, Fenway, and I'll say it again. There are a lot of people--and I'm one--who DON'T CARE. Personally, I hope he stays with the Wrong Sox. Where he belongs.

Fenway
11-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Yankees fans think ESPN is pro Boston
Red Sox fans think ESPN is pro Yankees-Mets

But be kind to them, they in Connecticut they don't know any better

Anyway, they devoted a segment to Konerko. Or so they said. It really turned into the usual PTI crap, with Wilbon pointing out that WS champs almost never repeat. Then Kornheiser started up with his usual "Sawx" talk. WOW! THEY GOT JOSH BECKETT!

'Kay. So I guess there's no need to play the 2006 season.

Oh, sorry. This thread is about where Manny goes. Said it before, Fenway, and I'll say it again. There are a lot of people--and I'm one--who DON'T CARE. Personally, I hope he stays with the Wrong Sox. Where he belongs.

MarySwiss
11-30-2005, 07:26 PM
I wish we could send Manny, the Red Cubs organization, the Yankees, and all the dopes at ESPN that fawn over them to a place where we would never hear another thing about them ever again.

Second that, if you tack on the Flubs!

FedEx227
11-30-2005, 09:22 PM
I love how Beckett went from injury plagued youngster who might never reach his potential because of all his DL trips to the greatest pitcher ever and a savior for the Red Sox.

That rotation is still 3/5 full of old, (in some cases fat) overpaid guys.

Deuce
11-30-2005, 09:31 PM
He can go to hell, for all I care. And given that he is already in Boston, it's not too far of a walk.

SOXintheBURGH
12-01-2005, 01:07 AM
I love how Beckett went from injury plagued youngster who might never reach his potential because of all his DL trips to the greatest pitcher ever and a savior for the Red Sox.

That rotation is still 3/5 full of old, (in some cases fat) overpaid guys.

One of the top 3 reasons you can see a South Side Dynasty. AL East has no pitching.

TheVulture
12-01-2005, 02:43 AM

So it looks like we're all in agreement then.

Banix12
12-01-2005, 03:00 AM
Before they acquired Lowell i kind of thought Manny might become a Cub. Maybe Manny Ramirez and a few other players for Aramis Ramirez and Kerry Wood or something to that effect.

Now that the cubs have spent so much money on middle relief and potentially on Furcal I wonder if they are really considering it.

If the red sox are willing to trade within division it looks like Toronto is apt to take on stupid contracts.

soxfanatlanta
12-01-2005, 06:33 AM
If you truely want to banish the guy, send him to the Devil Rays. Geez, I wouldn't wish that on players I hate (except for Sosa, he needs to go).

I just cannot see Boston "giving him away" by taking on part of his salary, or dumping him for prospects. No, he is stuck there - like a bad marriage.

asindc
12-01-2005, 09:23 AM

Anyway, they devoted a segment to Konerko. Or so they said. It really turned into the usual PTI crap, with Wilbon pointing out that WS champs almost never repeat.

How is that "usual PTI crap?" Other than the Yanks, no one else has made a habit of repeating in baseball. It's a true statement. In fact, Wilbon derided Kornheiser, as he usually does, when Kornheiser started in with the "Sawx."

Either you want Wilbon to "stay on his side of the block" and show no support for the Sox, or you don't. Frankly, I'd rather have a Cubs fan in his position praise our team rather than trash it or even worse, ignore it. I just think if we don't want Cubs fans to trash our team, we shouldn't mind if they speak well of the Sox, or at least remain objective, which Wilbon tends to do for the most part. When he has criticized the Sox organization, it was for things many, many people on this board have criticized them for as well, and in much harsher terms. My apologies for temporarily hijacking the thread, but I had to get that off my chest.

About Manny: I don't see him staying in Boston. He really doesn't want to be there, and the Red Sox management seemed to be fed up with him. The Angels are the most logical players for him, of course, but I think they will make Boston sweat it out until early January to get Boston to eat more salary. In the end, though, Boston will have to give up more than they want. Part of this, I admit, is wishful thinking, as I think this experience might cause the 4 or 5 teams willing to offer these monster deals to be more cautious in the future.

buehrle4cy05
12-01-2005, 09:32 AM
I think that if Manny gets traded to the Angels, the team that I voted for, it will give the Sox some serious competition for the World Series. I think that ultimately the Angels' pitching will falter again, but that lineup will be menacing, with Vlad and Manny in it.

oeo
12-01-2005, 09:47 AM
He's not going anywhere. No one will take on his contract, and the guy can't play defense for his life. Any other team, this guy is a DH...that's what he is a hitter, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm glad you all agree that all they care about is the East Coast.

gobears1987
12-01-2005, 09:54 AM
One of the top 3 reasons you can see a South Side Dynasty. AL East has no pitching.I will admit the Angels still scare me. They are built like our team.

Flight #24
12-01-2005, 10:49 AM
What are the real options for the Red Sox in terms of repalcing Manny? The guys they're rumored to get in return, be it Erstad, Kotchman, Floyd - aren't anywhere close to Manny. The guys on the FA market that they could have signed to replace him - Konerko, Giles are gone. Does anyone think the Red Sox are improved for 2006 with Casey Kotchman and Mike Piazza rather than Manny?

BloSox best move is to hold onto Manny, get a reliever or 2, and go forward hoping they get rebounds from Clement & Schilling. Otherwise, they'll be much improved for 2007 but not IMO contenders for 2006, barring a trade for a guy like Helton.

On the other hand, Angels+Manny are serious contenders to beat the Sox. Manny-Vlady-Anderson is a scary good middle of the order, and they already had good pitching at the front & back of games.