PDA

View Full Version : If Frank Leaves....

skottyj242
11-30-2005, 03:26 PM
If Frank Thomas is now forced out the door and he'll more than likely sign with an American League team, how long before we retire his number?

dickallen15
11-30-2005, 03:28 PM
When he officially retires from baseball.

skottyj242
11-30-2005, 03:29 PM
When he officially retires from baseball.

We didn't wait for Harold, did we? (I really don't know, I know he came back, but...)

zmz723
11-30-2005, 03:30 PM
probably opening day a year or two after he retires

antitwins13
11-30-2005, 03:31 PM
probably opening day a year or two after he retires

You're freaking me out with that sig! The world is watching the world is watching!:bundy

Taliesinrk
11-30-2005, 03:34 PM
It should be the day he leaves.. if this is the case we should raise the flags and then retire his number... perhaps the 3rd game of the cleveland story. As good as it will be for the team to have PK, this, I think is the saddest day I've been a White Sox fan.. I still hold out hope that the Sox find a way to bring back Frank.
I dont think I could stomach him in other uniform. This is terrible if he goes.

Dolly
11-30-2005, 03:35 PM
We didn't wait for Harold, did we? (I really don't know, I know he came back, but...)No, we didn't... IIRC, we retired his number after he went to the O's... I know he still wore #3 in 2000 when he came back though, so I'm not sure how that worked, if they "un-retired" it and then "re-retired" it, ala MJ, or what.

TheKittle
11-30-2005, 03:58 PM
No, we didn't... IIRC, we retired his number after he went to the O's... I know he still wore #3 in 2000 when he came back though, so I'm not sure how that worked, if they "un-retired" it and then "re-retired" it, ala MJ, or what.

Nope Baines number was retired when he was with the Rangers, within a year after he was traded.

ShoelessJoeS
11-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Thomas' number should be retired the day he leaves the White Sox organization, regardless if he's still playing.

Chicken Dinner
11-30-2005, 04:32 PM
You don't have to retire it right away but you certainly can't let anyone else wear it. Let Frank retire and stay retired before any numbers are officially retired.

Frater Perdurabo
11-30-2005, 04:34 PM
Dude, What's the Score?

Unsubstantiated speculation belongs there.

rmusacch
11-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Nope Baines number was retired when he was with the Rangers, within a year after he was traded.

Actually within a month. He was traded to the Rangers on July 29, 1989 and his number was retired on August 20, 1989.

Nellie_Fox
12-01-2005, 12:50 AM
Retiring Harold's number before Harold retired was incredibly stupid. I wouldn't want to see that happen again.

By the way, I was such a fan of Harold that I boycotted the next season after he was traded, and I don't think my position on Frank is any secret around here.

nodiggity59
12-01-2005, 12:56 AM
Frankly (no pun intended), b/c Hurt (no pun intended) has to play for a AL team, his options might be more limited than we think. Assuming Frank would demand to play for a contender at this stage in his career, his list of destinations for a full time DH are limited to the Yankees and Angels, IMO. Going to Oakland or Minnesota would also be an option, but would risk not having a good shot at the postseason.

If the Yanks and Angels don't want him, who's to say the Sox aren't the best destination for him next year, assuming he wants to win?

Deuce
12-01-2005, 07:07 AM
If the Yanks and Angels don't want him, who's to say the Sox aren't the best destination for him next year, assuming he wants to win?Everyone wants to win, but what Frank really wants is 500 homers. If the Sox aren't going to give him enough consistent at bats to do so, he will likely go elsewhere and get the milestone... which would suck royally.

Bobbo35
12-01-2005, 07:58 AM
[QUOTE=Taliesinrk]It should be the day he leaves.. if this is the case we should raise the flags and then retire his number... perhaps the 3rd game of the cleveland story. As good as it will be for the team to have PK, this, I think is the saddest day I've been a White Sox fan.. I still hold out hope that the Sox find a way to bring back Frank.

I dont think I could stomach him in other uniform. This is terrible if he goes.

[/QUOTE/]

I second that. I just cannot see him with another team, he belongs here.