PDA

View Full Version : Farnsworth / Yankees

Lip Man 1
11-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Fox Sports is reporting the Yanks are about to ink Kyle Farnsworth to a three year, 17 million dollar deal. The story says he will replace Tom Gordon.

The price of middle relief pitchers keeps going up and up and up. That's a great deal for a guy with a temper issue a potential drinking problem and a fastball that sometimes doesn't go where he wants it to.

Lip

samram
11-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Boy, the Yankees just continue to throw good money after bad at questionable pitching. It can be argued that there are questions at every spot on their staff other than Mussina (well, hell, if he's healthy) and Rivera.

Flight #24
11-30-2005, 03:07 PM
The price of middle relief pitchers keeps going up and up and up. That's a great deal for a guy with a temper issue a potential drinking problem and a fastball that sometimes doesn't go where he wants it to.

Lip

It's a good thing he's going to a nice quiet place like NY where you couldn't find any trouble or booze if you tried......

bobowhite
11-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Oh great, a hard-throwing guy with a history of control problems. With their defense this is just what they needed.

daveeym
11-30-2005, 03:14 PM
But but but Farnsworth is an upstanding Morman citizen.

The Racehorse
11-30-2005, 03:23 PM
It's a good thing he's going to a nice quiet place like NY where you couldn't find any trouble or booze if you tried......

LOL... also, those 99-mph straight ones are gonna get turned around in a hurry. Fans in the LF seats better be wearing helmets.

Fenway
11-30-2005, 03:26 PM
Boy, the Yankees just continue to throw good money after bad at questionable pitching. It can be argued that there are questions at every spot on their staff other than Mussina (well, hell, if he's healthy) and Rivera.

This is the Yankees big splash? Nobody in New England losing sleep over this

cheeses_h_rice
11-30-2005, 03:31 PM
What a great pickup.

I mean, just look at that stellar job "Farns" did against the Astros in the NLDS.

:wink:

samram
11-30-2005, 03:43 PM
This is the Yankees big splash? Nobody in New England losing sleep over this

I didn't say anything about whether this was their "big splash." I just questioned whether Farnsworth is worth almost $6 million per season.

elrod
11-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Farnsy better hope he doesn't have Berkman to face him. He got "Lidged" before Lidge did. And he's supposed to produce in New York?

Mohoney
11-30-2005, 05:05 PM
I just questioned whether Farnsworth is worth almost $6 million per season.

Salary cap argument #8,912,548 has just been produced.

palehozenychicty
11-30-2005, 05:19 PM

for sure. i mean, just the fact that the braves have never had a closer and didn't even make an effort to sign him says it all. a true bum.

peeonwrigley
11-30-2005, 05:51 PM
But he has 2 awesome tackles in benchlclearing brawls over the past 3 seasons!

PAPChiSox729
11-30-2005, 06:58 PM
$6 million for Farnsworth is absolutely ridiculous. Do they really think he is worth that much? I didn't realize they were that desperate for bullpen help. Yikes!

:mg:

hose
11-30-2005, 07:25 PM
I looove seeing a Farnsworth melt down.

Kyle meet Big Papie......thwack!!!!!!!!!!

SoxSpeed22
11-30-2005, 07:32 PM
With their defense this is just what they needed.:tealpolice:
The Yankees are pulling a Cubs by spending a ton of money on a weak free agent market. I think it's a unanimous decision by this board that the Yanks screwed up. Here's an interesting and extremely true quote from totally biased Yankee fan, Paul Katcher.
How bizarre was last season? We had the AL MVP and Comeback Player of the Year, as well as the No. 2 finishers for Cy Young Award and Rookie of the Year, plus Joe Torre finished 3rd in Manager of the Year voting. And it was the most tumultuous season I can remember.
In the long run, not so important.

caulfield12
11-30-2005, 08:25 PM
:tealpolice:
The Yankees are pulling a Cubs by spending a ton of money on a weak free agent market. I think it's a unanimous decision by this board that the Yanks screwed up. Here's an interesting and extremely true quote from totally biased Yankee fan, Paul Katcher.

In the long run, not so important.

I think the White Sox are looking at John Rocker or Mitch Williams at this point to replace Marte.

HotelWhiteSox
11-30-2005, 09:29 PM
How did Cashman get an extension again? :?:

VivaOzzie
11-30-2005, 09:47 PM

I love sarcasm that's so thick, teal isn't even necessary! :bandance:

Brian26
11-30-2005, 10:32 PM
Fox Sports is reporting the Yanks are about to ink Kyle Farnsworth to a three year, 17 million dollar deal. The story says he will replace Tom Gordon.

I can't wait to watch Konerko sit on some more Farnsworth fastballs next season.

StepsInSC
12-01-2005, 12:01 AM
Any bets on who the first person he is that he bodyslams while in a Yankees uniform next year? Or, should I rephrase that, which Red Sox player he will body slam next year?

samram
12-01-2005, 09:26 AM

Why? If some dumbass team wants to overpay a guy buy four million dollars, why should there be an apparatus in place to protect them?

Paulwny
12-01-2005, 02:23 PM
How did Cashman get an extension again? :?:

Cashman once again has the gun at his head. King George is frustrated by the lack of relief pitcher signings and sent word north that he wants something done. The Bronx Zoo is now open.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-sbyanks014534354dec01,0,1216536.story?coll=ny-yankees-print

wdelaney72
12-01-2005, 03:30 PM
I think the White Sox are looking at John Rocker or Mitch Williams at this point to replace Marte.

That's interesting.

John Barrett
12-01-2005, 07:30 PM
I would love the see Farnsworth face the NY media and fans

Banix12
12-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Well hopefully Farnsworth keeps up his trend of good year, bad year, good year. He's due for two bad years in this contract.

It's Time
12-01-2005, 09:52 PM
One word: Des........per.........ation!!

That's insane for a guy like him.:o:

soxinem1
12-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Farnsworth has a 'stellar' playoff history, not to mention a nasty case of bad/good/bad/goodbad year history. $6 million a season? Are they making him a starter again?

I think Miguel batista is a better, less expensive option.

But you know what could make this work? Check this scenario out:

Yankees vs. White Sox

Top of the eighth inning, Yanks up 3-2, Crede singles to right, Podsednik walks after eleven throws to first by Farnsworth to hold Crede.

Joe and Pods double steal, second and third, no out.

Uribe singles on a 3-0 dead center fastball, tie game 3-3.

Farns hits Dye, bases juiced.

Paulie nails a grand slam! Sox up 7-3.

Farns hits Thome, Thome charges the mound... BUT BOBBY JENKS COMES OUT OF KNOWHERE AND CRUSHES THE FARNS!!!

Farns out for the year with broken collar bone, Jenks suspended for one day due to defending Thome's bad back.

GO WHITE SOX!

California Sox
12-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Is this really that much worse than the Howry and Eyre signings by the Cubs? It's all insane. Middle relievers are one of the least predictable commodities in baseball. Coming into last year, for instance, you'd have had to say Politte and Vizcaino were about even, but their 2005 performances were pretty far apart. Also, you'd have picked Marte over Cotts any day of the week. Turns out, no, Cotts was better. Pitching depth is key to building a solid bullpen because middle guys are so up and down. (See Embry, Alan)

salty99
12-02-2005, 02:04 PM
ESPN is reporting the Rangers are now trying to steal him away from the Yankees.

Unregistered
12-02-2005, 04:41 PM
It's official, according to ESPN.

Farnsworth to the Yankees, 3 years/$17 million (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2245182&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines)

RallyBowl
12-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Well, I think we can rule out the possibility of the Yankmees winning it next year. Who the **** would want this guy? And why does this bastard get 17 million dollars? What has he ever done to earn it? What has he accomplished? How many pitchers do we have on our staff that are better pitchers with better numbers, and are just generally a better class of person that don't make that much money? DISGUSTING. Oh well, they have one thing I am pretty sure Farnsworth will never have.

Banix12
12-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Well, I think we can rule out the possibility of the Yankmees winning it next year. Who the **** would want this guy? And why does this bastard get 17 million dollars? What has he ever done to earn it? What has he accomplished? How many pitchers do we have on our staff that are better pitchers with better numbers, and are just generally a better class of person that don't make that much money? DISGUSTING. Oh well, they have one thing I am pretty sure Farnsworth will never have.

Unfortunately 17 million dollars seems to be the market price this year.

Look at it this way, when the Yankees spend big money to acquire an inconsistant reliever such as Farnsworth, all it does is help the rest of the league. Because the rest of the league gets to face him and are spared not paying his salary.

StillMissOzzie
12-03-2005, 02:50 AM
Unfortunately 17 million dollars seems to be the market price this year.

Sad but true, since Flash Gordon jumped from the Yankmees to the Phillies for 3 yrs/$18M. Who'd have ever thought that someone would be LEAVING the Yankmees for more $$$?

SMO
:(:

Edit: And furthermore, I understand he's gonna take over the Phillies' closer role for the departed Billy Wagner, and he REALLY hit the jackpot from the Mets.

WestSox
12-03-2005, 04:16 PM
That's a great deal for a guy with a temper issue a potential drinking problem

Has Farnsworth been getting into trouble after boozing it up recently? (I haven't been paying attention.) Thought you might find this story interesting:

About four years ago, the girl who used to cut my hair met Farnsworth at a party and apparently he was trying really hard to hook up with her. I guess that he was just totally hammered and was slurring his speech, acting obnoxiously, etc. She ended up leaving the party just to get the hell away from him.

So, yeah, wouldn't be surprised if he had a drinking problem.