PDA

View Full Version : Official thanks for the memories, Frank thread.

It's Time
11-30-2005, 02:02 PM
I figured I could sneak this in while everyone is going ga-ga in the Konerko thread.:D: With todays signing of Konerko, Frank is now gone. It's a bitter sweet day.

Frank, you were the best player that I have watched play for the White Sox.

Best of luck, Frank.

cheeses_h_rice
11-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Unless Frank has suddenly learned how to play Center Field, unfortunately I gotta say 'hegawn'.

I have a hunch Big Frank retires this offseason. Just a hunch.

Law11
11-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Thanks for all the great memories Frank.. Hope to see you in Cooperstown.

IlliniSox
11-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Frank, you're still my favorite athlete of my 25 years. Enjoy the Hall!

soxrme
11-30-2005, 02:07 PM
I will go to Cooperstown when he is inducted. One of the greatest Sox of all time.

Lip Man 1
11-30-2005, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't automatically assume that he's gone. Remember Frank is a personal favorite of Reinsdorf.

At this point in time given the status of his leg there are no guarantees he'll get an offer from ANYBODY. Therefore it's possible he will return to the Sox in a limited role, i.e. play once a week, pinch hit and so forth.

Lip

It's Time
11-30-2005, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't automatically assume that he's gone. Remember Frank is a personal favorite of Reinsdorf.

At this point in time given the status of his leg there are no guarantees he'll get an offer from ANYBODY. Therefore it's possible he will return to the Sox in a limited role, i.e. play once a week, pinch hit and so forth.

Lip

Lip:

There is no where for Frank to play now. He's done.

sox1970
11-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Best of luck to Frank. I hope if he comes back, it will be for the right reasons. Getting 500 homers is a great accomplishment, but to me, he's already in the Hall of Fame. If he's coming back solely to hit 52 homeruns, he shouldn't do it. It will tarnish a great career.

compy75
11-30-2005, 02:12 PM
If Juan Gonzalez can get opportunity after opportunity, I think it's fair to say someone will gamble on Frank. Frank has stated numerous times he wants 500 home runs and it just simply can;t happen with him playing part time. So in the end, I think goes elsewhere, gets his home runs, and retires a Sox.

Baby Fisk
I agree with your hunch. If he feels confident that his career to this point (topped off by the WS Ring) will get him to Cooperstown, Big Frank might decide to ride off into the Nevada sunset. The only reason to return would be to pad his HR numbers...?

gobears1987
Frank is the reason I became a Sox fan when I was 5 years old and living in SE Michigan. Thank you for verything Frank. :whiner::whiner::whiner:

The Wall
11-30-2005, 02:13 PM
Frank maybe....maybe....just maybe done. But remember there is still some awesome hitting quality left in the big guy. He can hit, walk and turn any pitcher around. He still will be back with the Sox in some capacity.

I would think Ozzie would bring him back just so that he can be a calming influence to the younger hitters in the clubhouse or the minors. Teach them the value of the walk although frustrating as it might be to walk.

Frank the Tank
11-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Prediction:

Frank will sign somewhere else, but down the road his last at bat will be for the White Sox.

Sxy Mofo
11-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Lip:

There is no where for Frank to play now. He's done.

Would anyone give him a full-time DH role with his health issues.

My eternal optimism (being a chicago sports fan) says that if no one guarantees him a full-time DH role, why wouldn't he sign here?

hell, maybe between thome and he, we have one healthy DH.

wdelaney72
11-30-2005, 02:16 PM
My question is, given Frank's veteran status, how much money will it cost to sign Frank. My guess is that it would be the veteran minimum loaded with incentives, but I'm not sure what that would be.

I have a Cardinal fan at work who insists Frank will make a minimum of $5 million per year. Given the uncertainty of his health, I can't see ANY team offering him that kind of money.

I'm still hopeful, Frank will be back. I like the idea of rotating Thome, Frank, and PK between 1B and DH (excluding Frank from the 1B position).

Chisox003
11-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Unless Frank has suddenly learned how to play Center Field, unfortunately I gotta say 'hegawn'.

Selfishly, I think all White Sox fans HOPE he retires...It would just hurt so much to see him playing for someone else, especially the A's or Twins.

So Frank, how about this ... When you're done, come on back and do SOMETHING with this organization. You will always be #35 for the Chicago White Sox.

THANK YOU!! :gulp:

Unregistered
11-30-2005, 02:17 PM
I'm still hoping he comes back. Frank has been the face of the Sox for the last 15 years and is a big reason why I'm a diehard fan today. With an OPS over .900 the last three years and still one of the best power strokes in the league, someone is going to pick him up if he doesn't re-sign with the Sox. I'm still holding out hope that he'll be back, but either way - best of luck wherever you go, Big Hurt.

gobears1987
11-30-2005, 02:17 PM
I predict that Frank will come back. He will be back as a coach. We've all heard Baines was not happy as the bench coach. I think Frank needs to be a part of the coaching staff.

Lip Man 1
11-30-2005, 02:18 PM
It's Time:

It's entirely possible given Frank's health issue that right now he can only play once or twice a week.

This season the talk was the Sox couldn't find at bats for Thomas, Konerko and Everett yet somehow Ozzie did didn't he?

I agree the odds are long but they are not ZERO. There is a chance given his health status, his age and the circumstances of other A.L. teams looking for a DH (or more to the point NOT looking for a DH) that he can return.

Lip

zach23
11-30-2005, 02:20 PM

Lip

I still think that is going to happen. He can be a PH and DH once in awhile. He would basically be used like Gload and Timo were used, how often did either of those guys play? Let Timo and Gload walk and have a bench of Thomas, Ozuna, Widge, and someone to be a fourth outfielder. If they go with only 11 pitchers then they can even add some guy who can play multiple positions to the bench.
It would be nice insurance to have him in case Konerko or Thome are out for any amount of time, and it is a nice weapon to have on the bench to PH late in a game.

DumpJerry
11-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Well, the Sox have not scheduled a press conference to announce the retirement of jersey number 35.

I'm thinking he'll get a minimum base plus incentives and we won't see him until August to make sure the ankle is solid.

It's Time
11-30-2005, 02:23 PM
It's Time:

It's entirely possible given Frank's health issue that right now he can only play once or twice a week.

This season the talk was the Sox couldn't find at bats for Thomas, Konerko and Everett yet somehow Ozzie did didn't he?

I agree the odds are long but they are not ZERO. There is a chance given his health status, his age and the circumstances of other A.L. teams looking for a DH (or more to the point NOT looking for a DH) that he can return.

Lip

Lip:

I can't see Frank playing a limited role on this team if he's healthy. When he's healthy, he's more devastating than Thome is. There is simply not enough money to sign him when Thome and Konerko are going to be eating over 20M of the payroll.

Tekijawa
11-30-2005, 02:29 PM

I've had the same Hunch since the Season ended... Although I don't think he woudl turn down an opportunity elsewhere... I hope he realizes that Joe Montana, Jordan, Johnny Unitas, Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth didn't look right in the twilight of their Careers in those other Uniforms!

Frater Perdurabo
11-30-2005, 02:30 PM
Enough of this. Until Frank officially announces his retirement, or announces that he has signed with another team, NO DOORS HAVE BEEN CLOSED on him returning.

Until then, I think any and all speculation about Frank's future, especially this rock-solid certainty that he's gone, belongs in What's the Score.

If I'm wrong, I'll be disappointed but I'll admit it. Until then, the rest of you who obviously can predict the future with 100% certainty can stop being dark clouds already.

Who would have thought that The Original Dark Cloud Himself, Lip, would be the sane voice of reason in this thread?

Got any predictions on tonight's Lotto numbers?
:kukoo:

zach23
11-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Lip:

I can't see Frank playing a limited role on this team if he's healthy. When he's healthy, he's more devastating than Thome is. There is simply not enough money to sign him when Thome and Konerko are going to be eating over 20M of the payroll.

Frank has a ring now and seems more happy and content than he ever has. He loves being here and JR loves him. Even in a limited role he could hit 25 HRs and if he can do that for 2 years he will reach 500. I think Frank realizes he is almost done and would take a very small salary to finish here with a chance at 500 HRs.
He even said when he was coming off the DL this year that he would play whatever role needed to help the team. Nothing is certain, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him back for a real low price or possibly for some deferred money.

mjharrison72
11-30-2005, 02:32 PM
I wish him the best wherever he goes, and sincerely hope he gets healthy again, but I would love to have him retire with the Sox being his one and only team.

SportsPg
11-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Frank is the greatest White Sox player ever. His 2 MVP's, HOF statistics and finally the World Series ring he earned this year makes him #1 in my book.

Here's to you Frank - you the man :gulp: :gulp:

DaleJRFan
11-30-2005, 02:44 PM
I'll never forget going to my first game at the new park with my Dad... and he yelled out to Thomas in the on-deck circle "Take him deep, Big Hurt!" He turned around and smiled... and of course, proceeded to rope one out to the leftfield seats.

I hope Frank can come back, if even in a limited role, but if he doesn't I just can't stand the thought of him in another uniform. I hope that if he can't play for the Sox, he retires as a player and the Sox keep him in the organization in some capacity.

At any rate, thanks a bunch Big Hurt... Thanks a bunch.

vegyrex
11-30-2005, 02:46 PM
I have to admit its tough thinking of a Sox team without Frank. :(:

Gavin
11-30-2005, 02:46 PM
As much as I like Frank, conventional wisdom says you do not keep a guy on your roster for the occasional pinch hit/DH duties.

Unregistered
11-30-2005, 02:48 PM
http://renandstimpy.org/img/char/horse.jpg
"No, sir. I don't like it."

daveeym
11-30-2005, 02:49 PM
The only possible way Frank is back this year is under Lip's scenario and the only two people that have a clue on that is Frank and his doctor.

Cheeses, no way Frank hangs em up unless he's told by 10 doctors he'll never play again.

Frank will be back with the organization at some point I'm sure, probably in a coaching or management role.

Chicago
11-30-2005, 02:49 PM
The Big Hurt... FRANK THOMAS... Thanks for all the memories...
Can't wait to see your statue at the Cell.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/xBOOSTx/ThomasStats.jpg

The Racehorse
11-30-2005, 02:50 PM
:hurt
Frank Thomas
The Sox Greatest Player
1990-2005

... so long Big Guy. :(:

Madvora
11-30-2005, 02:50 PM
Sorry to see him go. It's a no-doubter now.
The most important thing is that the team is stronger now and that we're going to win again in 2006.

I really wish he would've had a full season last year. He's still got more production in him, but he can't fit in with us anymore.
The best way this could turn out would be having him retire now. (Maybe not the best for him, but I can't stand it any other way.)

Stroker Ace
11-30-2005, 02:52 PM
Hopefully Frank can still keep it up with a new team, although I think we haven't seen the last of Frank in a Sox uni. Good luck to whatever you do in the future, big guy.:gulp:

Lip Man 1
11-30-2005, 03:02 PM
It's Time:

Frank is not going to get more then a base of two million this season. I think the Sox can afford that regardless of how much they are paying Paul and Jim.

Lip

bobowhite
11-30-2005, 03:07 PM
At his career rate Frank needs roughly 800 ABs to attain 500 career homers. (Okay, 808 ABs for statheads.) I think he signs a two year contract with the Twins or the A's because those are the two AL teams in serious need of a fearsome DH. Probably in the $2-3 million range with a modicum of incentives.

Frank, thanks for letting me observe the best years of a true HOF player.

MERPER
11-30-2005, 03:11 PM
I agree, this is the end of Frank Thomas with the Chicago White Sox... I also have a hunch, from a very good source that Frank is going to retire...

He'd be going out on a high note and if he risks coming back and can't go he then jeopardizes his HOF status... 500 HR's is out of the question at this point and I can't see any team giving him a contract when he has played been injured for 2 years....

Either way, Frank is the GREATEST HITTER IN WHITE SOX HISTORY and a HOFer.... I'll never forget all the homers I saw in person or the day he signed my baseball at Wrigley during the 2002 interleague series... I was so happy, the smile didn't leave my face all game even though the Sox lost...

You will be missed BIG HURT, but your accomplishments and 440 trots around the bases will never be forgotten... THANK YOU... after I :whiner: I'll have many :gulp: to the big man!!!

Epark84
11-30-2005, 03:11 PM
I have a horrible feeling that the twins, seeing the sox pay big bucks to keep PK and bringing in Thome will spend a little to get thomas. That would make me sick, second only to seeing him in cubby blue.

rbeze09
11-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Frank Has Been The Most Exciting Player I Have Ever Seen Between The Lines On The Southside. I Remember How Excited I Would Get Everytime He Stepped In The Box. U Just Knew Something Exciting Could Happen. Its Gonna Be Really Hard Cheering For Jim Thome Instead Of The Hurt, But Thanx For The Awesome 15 Years Frank, It Was Amazing. You Are A Hall Of Famer In My Mind. U Bet Ill Be In Cooperstown For Your Induction.....you Can Put In On The Board Yeeessss!!!! 448 Times

Ol' No. 2
11-30-2005, 03:31 PM
At his career rate Frank needs roughly 800 ABs to attain 500 career homers. (Okay, 808 ABs for statheads.) I think he signs a two year contract with the Twins or the A's because those are the two AL teams in serious need of a fearsome DH. Probably in the $2-3 million range with a modicum of incentives.

Frank, thanks for letting me observe the best years of a true HOF player.Why would he sign to play half his games in Oakland if he's trying to hit HR? He'd be a hell of a lot better off getting fewer AB but getting them in USCF. And with his ankle, the LAST place he should be playing is on artificial turf - scratch Minnesota.

Anyway, I find it extremely doubtful that his ankle will hold up for 800 more AB. Again, much better to play somewhere that his HR/AB will be higher. Even playing only twice a week he'll get 200 AB, and if he's productive, he could very well get significantly more.

He decide to stay or he may decide to leave. I just think it's WAY too premature to send the taxi to his house just yet.

Dolly
11-30-2005, 03:42 PM

LipI agree, I think this thread is just a little premature. It's like planning a loved one's funeral before they're dead (I know people do it, but to me, it's just creepy).

StockdaleForVeep
11-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Carl everett was in the same situation, he cant play the field(well) and was a bench player till frank went down. Frank can bench\dh, How many teams have a guy with over 400 hrs and is a clutch hitter for a backup?

Tekijawa
11-30-2005, 03:47 PM
I agree, this is the end of Frank Thomas with the Chicago White Sox... I also have a hunch, from a very good source that Frank is going to retire...

Cheeses is not a good source... nor am I

soxfanreggie
11-30-2005, 04:04 PM
I know it isn't a guarantee that Frank will be re-signed, but I think we're far from saying so long just yet...remember how many people thought PK would be on the first train out of here...

Taz
11-30-2005, 04:08 PM
This thread is depressing...

The way some folks are posting, sounds like Frank is dead!

mweflen
11-30-2005, 04:11 PM
I think it's way too early to say Frank will retire or will not be back with Sox. It all remains to be seen. I for one hope he comes back. Just like Everett was insurance for Frank, we need insurance for Thome.

TheDarkGundam
11-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Hmmm...around 50 posts and no one has posted Green Day lyrics...:redneck

In my opinion, this thread is premature. Wait until we officially know he's gawn.

Frater Perdurabo
11-30-2005, 04:27 PM
He decide to stay or he may decide to leave. I just think it's WAY too premature to send the taxi to his house just yet.

ON2: What will make it even sweeter for me, you and Lip (and the other select few voices of reason like Dolly, mweflen, TheDarkGundam, soxfanreggie, Stockdale, etc.) is when Frank returns to the Sox next year as a PH/backup DH and all the dark clouds who are writing his obituary right new have to eat crow.

(OTOH, I'll eat crow if I'm wrong...)

Until it's proven to be true, rampant, baseless speculation belongs in What's the Score. (With all apologies to the mods who are having to tidy up after redundant Paulie thread starters.)

ShoelessJoeS
11-30-2005, 04:28 PM
I don't want to give thanks to Frank until it's official that he's gone. The thought of Frank in another uni makes me gag even more than seeing Rowand in a Phillies jersey on the verge of crying.

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-30-2005, 05:06 PM
I don't want to give thanks to Frank until it's official that he's gone. The thought of Frank in another uni makes me gag even more than seeing Rowand in a Phillies jersey on the verge of crying.

But if it does become official, I will feel horrible. IMO, if he does have to go, you retire the jersey on game 3 of the opening homestand.

D. TODD
11-30-2005, 05:07 PM
Well, they say never say never so I guess I won't, but if this is farewell I wish Big Frank the best of luck. I hope he finishes with a productive year/years with whoever he goes to.

chisoxmike
11-30-2005, 05:08 PM
If Frank isn't back with the Sox in '06, he's retiring. I truly don't think you're going to see him in another uniform.

Here's to you big man:gulp:

RowanDye
11-30-2005, 05:36 PM

yea....kind of like thinking of the 2005 World Champions

hawkjt
11-30-2005, 05:36 PM
I know it is illogical- but please let there be some way for Hurt to finish with the sox. We all know he is the greatest hitter in Sox history- and probably the greatest right-handed hitter in AL history.

Find a way, Kenny. Come back ,Frank.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-30-2005, 06:28 PM
Cheeses is not a good source... nor am I

You're dad-gum right, Teki. The only source I trust is the voice on the other end of ChiSoxTony's cellphone.

:wink:

Ventura Fan 23
11-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Frank will always remain in my memory as one of the funnest players to watch. Assuming he signs with another club, I'll definitely keep my eye out for nationally televised games for whatever team he's on.

I want Mags back
11-30-2005, 06:49 PM
Frank

Time for u to sign a cheap contract to be a power bat off the bench and DH once a week or so

soxjim
11-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the memories Big Frank. Good luck.

RKMeibalane
11-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks, Frank! You're the reason I became a Sox fan. Good luck next season, and beyond. We're all looking forward to seeing you in Cooperstown!

swanson24
11-30-2005, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the memories Frank! I remember coming to the games in the mid 90s and getting goose bumps when you came to the plate for us. Frank you were constantly intimidating pitchers when you walked to the plate and made me smile when you hit those majestic home runs. I hope this is not the end of your career on the South Side but if is I have to say thank you, you belong in the Hall of Fame. In my oppinion you were the greatest player in White Sox history. I will miss hearing Gene Honda saying those great words when you came to the plate, "Thirty Five Frank Thomas!"

Sox35th
11-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Big Hurt will go down as the greatest hitter is Sox history.......my favorite memories of the Big Hurt was seeing him hit is 400th home run live!!

He will be missed....but as they say time must go on :?:

batmanZoSo
11-30-2005, 09:54 PM
It's not official, but in case the expected happens, we wish you the best of health and success wherever you go, Frank. You gave the Chicago White Sox an identity, and a damn fine one despite all the negative crap that's been thrown your way. Frank Thomas won over a lot of lifetime Sox fans, including future generations thereof. For that, we all owe Frank a debt of gratitude. He's certainly not been perfect, but he was never the monster he was made out to be at times.

Wherever you go, best of health and a chance to cement your Hall of Fame status (although if you ask me, if he's not already a Hall of Famer, they should just close Cooperstown).

Thanks for the memories...

Taliesinrk
11-30-2005, 10:53 PM
This is a bunch of garbage. How in the hell are people going to get on here and proclaim that Frank is done. It could easily be worked out to give Thome (for some on here an injury risk) 1-2 days off per week and also konerko 1 day off a week. This gives FRank 3 days a week to DH and that's w/o even including PH opportunities. Especially considering the fact that Ozzie loves his "B squad" (which I haven't seen anyone mention in regards to this situation yet), Frank may not necessarily be gone. The odds probably don't favor it, but I'll be damned if people on here were making threads saying "Official, Welcome back Paulie" on Monday this week.

This thread is ridiculous and at least belongs in the Score (best case scenario). It's downright depressing and for no reason... yet. I'll thank Frank when the time is right, which will be in 3-4 years when he retires w/ 500 HRs in a Sox uni. Please Kenny...

RKMeibalane
11-30-2005, 10:59 PM
This is a bunch of garbage. How in the hell are people going to get on here and proclaim that Frank is done. It could easily be worked out to give Thome (for some on here an injury risk) 1-2 days off per week and also konerko 1 day off a week. This gives FRank 3 days a week to DH and that's w/o even including PH opportunities. Especially considering the fact that Ozzie loves his "B squad" (which I haven't seen anyone mention in regards to this situation yet), Frank may not necessarily be gone. The odds probably don't favor it, but I'll be damned if people on here were making threads saying "Official, Welcome back Paulie" on Monday this week.

This thread is ridiculous and at least belongs in the Score (best case scenario). It's downright depressing and for no reason... yet. I'll thank Frank when the time is right, which will be in 3-4 years when he retires w/ 500 HRs in a Sox uni. Please Kenny...

I think your post is garbage, but what the hell do I know? Frank isn't going to get any playing time with the Sox in 2006, not unless Konerko has another 2003-like tailspin, or Thome has another injury-filled season. People are thanking him because he has most likely played his last game in a Sox uniform. Frank Thomas is the Chicago White Sox version of Babe Ruth. Most people here want to pay their respects before he moves on to another team or to retirement.

shoelessjoe90
11-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Maybe he could stay on the roster but on the "B" squad but whatever happens, Frank will always be a White sock no matter where he goes. He deserves to go the Hall of Fame and is the best White Sox hitter of all time. Maybe he could end up being some type of coach. Thanks for the Home runs Frank! :gulp:

sean
11-30-2005, 11:35 PM
IF this marks the end of Frank Thomas as a White Sox...

I thought Chris Chelios leaving the Blackhawks hurt, but this is completely different...
Good luck, Frank, wherever you may end up.

Shorty1983
11-30-2005, 11:37 PM
I figured I could sneak this in while everyone is going ga-ga in the Konerko thread.:D: With todays signing of Konerko, Frank is now gone. It's a bitter sweet day.

Frank, you were the best player that I have watched play for the White Sox.

Best of luck, Frank.

Is your name Kenny Williams? :?:

Taliesinrk
11-30-2005, 11:43 PM

Thank you...

It's Time
11-30-2005, 11:46 PM

No, it's not. Sorry if this thread might be a little premature, but I am just reading between the lines here. After the season, KW went out and told Konerko he was going to get him Thome. WHY do you think he told him this? Most likely because he knew that they are looking in a different direction due to Frank's recent injury problems. If the Thome signing wasn't a red flag, Konerko's deal today has to be.

Maybe I should have titled the thread differently, but I believe this signals the end of Frank's playing days here in Chicago. This thread was meant as a tribute to him.

Taliesinrk
11-30-2005, 11:52 PM
Maybe I should have titled the thread differently, but I believe this signals the end of Frank's playing days here in Chicago. This thread was meant as a tribute to him.

I agree about the title, and actually do understand and appreciate your sentiment and want to pay Frank his respect that was so well deserved. Sorry if my posts were a bit harsh; it's just upsetting, and I'm not going to accept his departure until it's actually happened. The problem is that some on here are treating it as if it were official, which I don't think is right.

gowhitesox
12-01-2005, 12:07 AM
In my 30 years as a White Sox Fan, Frank Thomas was the greatest player ever to wear a Chicago White Sox uniform. You will always be loved by White Sox fans every where. You are a certain first ballot selection to the Hall of Fame.

The number #35 will always be in our hearts. Thanks for the Memories.

kevin57
12-01-2005, 12:11 AM
I really would like to wait just a bit before writing Frank Thomas's obit for the Sox. Yeah, it's probably true, but we've had to deal with a World Series high, followed by a Rowand dive, then a Konerko Super-Charge.

There aren't enough "icons" to express all these emotions! Let me rest a bit.

wsox3505
12-01-2005, 12:16 AM
not yet. . . . .

buehrle4cy05
12-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Frank Thomas. Easily one of the top three best White Sox players ever. To be mentioned in the same sentence as Nellie Fox and Joe Jackson is a great honor that Frank deserves. He easily has been the greatest White Sox player ever since Fox.

Here's to Frank. I hope that he reaches 500 home runs and goes into the Hall of Fame wearing his true colors, black and silver.

Edit: I agree with RK's post earlier in the thread. Frank, even if he stays, won't see a whole lot of PT, and if he does, it probably won't be in a good situation. I still think he can produce if he's healthy, though.

Frater Perdurabo
12-01-2005, 09:53 AM
If this kind of thread had to be started, how about calling it: "The Frank Thomas appreciation thread" ???

Neither Kenny Williams, nor Ozzie Guillen, nor Jerry Reinsdorf, nor Frank Thomas, nor his doctor, nor anyone else in a position to know much of anything about the situation, has made any definitive statements about Frank Thomas' future! Until such time, those of you who are assuming - mindlessly speculating - that he's gone are just a bunch of dark clouds. "Dude, What's the Score?" If I am proved to be wrong, I'll be man enough to admit it. I expect you to do the same if you are proven wrong.

Furthermore, I truly believe that SOME - not all, but some - of you, particularly those who are too young to remember Frank's dominance in the 1990s (again not all, but some), secretly hope he won't be back. Those of you (and you know who you are) are trolls who are no better than Jay Mariotti and Mike Murphy and belong in the Roadhouse. Shame on you.

Frank has proven over the course of his career that he's the single greatest hitter to have ever worn a White Sox uniform. Period.

In his prime, Frank the hitter dominated AL pitchers in the same way that in his prime Michael Jordan the scorer dominated opposing defenses.

It's too bad that so many Chicagoans, and sadly some Sox fans, never truly appreciated Frank's greatness and now some of those trolls can't wait to get rid of him.
:(:

Frank, if by some chance you are reading, I appreciate you and all that you have done for the White Sox and the City of Chicago, even if more than half the city's population (those from the shallower end of the gene pool) and the lemming-like, Cub-worshipping Chicago and national mediots refuse to recognize your greatness. I personally believe your cameo lineup presence in 2005 and the record-setting pace at which you clobbered home runs during that time proved to be the difference in giving the Sox enough cushion to withstand Cleveland's September surge (the lead went from six games, to 15 games, down to 1.5 games, and finally the Sox won the Central by six games). I look forward to watching you augment your already impressive HOF-caliber legacy in a White Sox uniform until the day you retire on your own terms.
:thumbsup:

kevin57
12-01-2005, 09:59 AM
nor anyone else in a position to know much of anything about the situation[/u], has made any definitive statements about Frank Thomas' future! Until such time, those of you who are assuming - mindlessly speculating - that he's gone are just a bunch of dark clouds.

Agreed, it is speculation, but I read a comment from KW in both papers this morning that sounded ominous. Kind of like, "We didn't want to call Frank about his future until the Konerko matter was settled, but I'll get to it soon."

fuzzy_patters
12-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Agreed, it is speculation, but I read a comment from KW in both papers this morning that sounded ominous. Kind of like, "We didn't want to call Frank about his future until the Konerko matter was settled, but I'll get to it soon."

I believe this is the probably the quote you read. I certainly sounds like Frank is gone.

"I tried to reach Frank by phone earlier today and I think it's disrespectful to inform the public of the organization's plans without having a conversation," Chicago general manager Ken Williams said. "The right-handed bat of Paul Konerko and the left-handed bat of Jim Thome, we felt it necessary to balance us out. ... I know what he [Thomas] means to Chicago. I prefer to have conversations privately before announcing anything to the public."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2242424

It's Time
12-01-2005, 10:11 AM
If this kind of thread had to be started, how about calling it: "The Frank Thomas appreciation thread" ???

Neither Kenny Williams, nor Ozzie Guillen, nor Jerry Reinsdorf, nor Frank Thomas, nor his doctor, nor anyone else in a position to know much of anything about the situation, has made any definitive statements about Frank Thomas' future! Until such time, those of you who are assuming - mindlessly speculating - that he's gone are just a bunch of dark clouds. "Dude, What's the Score?" If I am proved to be wrong, I'll be man enough to admit it. I expect you to do the same if you are proven wrong.

Furthermore, I truly believe that SOME - not all, but some - of you, particularly those who are too young to remember Frank's dominance in the 1990s (again not all, but some), secretly hope he won't be back. Those of you (and you know who you are) are trolls who are no better than Jay Mariotti and Mike Murphy and belong in the Roadhouse. Shame on you.

Frank has proven over the course of his career that he's the single greatest hitter to have ever worn a White Sox uniform. Period.

In his prime, Frank the hitter dominated AL pitchers in the same way that in his prime Michael Jordan the scorer dominated opposing defenses.

It's too bad that so many Chicagoans, and sadly some Sox fans, never truly appreciated Frank's greatness and now some of those trolls can't wait to get rid of him.

Frank, if by some chance you are reading, I appreciate you and all that you have done for the White Sox and the City of Chicago, even if more than half the city's population (those from the shallower end of the gene pool) and the lemming-like, Cub-worshipping Chicago and national mediots refuse to recognize your greatness. I personally believe your cameo lineup presence in 2005 and the record-setting pace at which you clobbered home runs during that time proved to be the difference in giving the Sox enough cushion to withstand Cleveland's September surge (the lead went from six games, to 15 games, down to 1.5 games, and finally the Sox won the Central by six games). I look forward to watching you augment your already impressive HOF-caliber legacy in a White Sox uniform until the day you retire on your own terms.
:thumbsup:

Get ready to admit you were wrong. From todays Sun-Times:

Some time this week, Frank Thomas will get the call he has been dreading for five years, when talk of a diminished-skills clause became an all-consuming distraction for the White Sox' former icon.

With designated hitter Jim Thome arriving and first baseman Paul Konerko returning, there is no room left for Thomas, a 16-year veteran who's 52 home runs shy of 500 during a Hall of Fame-caliber career spent exclusively on the South Side. General manager Ken Williams stopped just short of stating the obvious Wednesday.

It's Time
12-01-2005, 10:19 AM
''This is more about the right-handed bat of Paul Konerko and the left-handed bat of Jim Thome that we felt was necessary to balance us out more than where we are with Frank.''

I respect Frank and that's why I started the thread. He's the best player this town has ever seen and will go down as the most under appreciated athlete in Chicago Sports history.

Now that he's gone, maybe he'll finally get the ****ing respect he deserves. To those of you who found it necessary to call me out, I really don't give a ****!

Frater Perdurabo
12-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Get ready to admit you were wrong. From todays Sun-Times:

Some time this week, Frank Thomas will get the call he has been dreading for five years, when talk of a diminished-skills clause became an all-consuming distraction for the White Sox' former icon.

With designated hitter Jim Thome arriving and first baseman Paul Konerko returning, there is no room left for Thomas, a 16-year veteran who's 52 home runs shy of 500 during a Hall of Fame-caliber career spent exclusively on the South Side. General manager Ken Williams stopped just short of stating the obvious Wednesday.

Oh, I forgot that Kenny Williams resigned and Jay Mariotti and the writers and editors of the Sun-Times were named GMs to replace him. Until we see definitive statements from KW, this remains Sun-Times mediot speculation.

Frater Perdurabo
12-01-2005, 11:29 AM
''This is more about the right-handed bat of Paul Konerko and the left-handed bat of Jim Thome that we felt was necessary to balance us out more than where we are with Frank.''

I respect Frank and that's why I started the thread. He's the best player this town has ever seen and will go down as the most under appreciated athlete in Chicago Sports history.

Now that he's gone, maybe he'll finally get the ****ing respect he deserves. To those of you who found it necessary to call me out, I really don't give a ****!

My friend, I've not called you out by name or by reputation. I just think it's premature to speculate on what will happen until we hear definitive word from Jerry, Kenny, Ozzie, Frank, Frank's agent or his doctor.

Many Chicago mediots read WSI. All we need is for one of them to take something written in this thread out of context and then erroneously report that Sox fans are so eager to shove him out the door that they already are writing his obituary as a player. You yourself write that he's "the most under-appreciated athlete in Chicago sports history." Don't think that Sox-hating and Frank-hating mediots are going to change all of a sudden. Please, let's not give them something they can warp and take out of context.

:cool:

It's Time
12-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Many Chicago mediots read WSI. All we need is for one of them to take something written in this thread out of context and then erroneously report that Sox fans are so eager to shove him out the door that they already are writing his obituary as a player. You yourself write that he's "the most under-appreciated athlete in Chicago sports history." Don't think that Sox-hating and Frank-hating mediots are going to change all of a sudden. Please, let's not give them something they can warp and take out of context.

:?: :?: :?: . Let me get this straight. We start a thread THANKING Thomas and praising all that he has done, yet the Chicago media will think we are "shoving him out the door".

Again, :?: :?: :?:

Baby Fisk
12-01-2005, 11:55 AM
This thread was premature and inappropriate. Until Frank's status is known anyway.

Frater Perdurabo
12-01-2005, 01:04 PM
:?: :?: :?: . Let me get this straight. We start a thread THANKING Thomas and praising all that he has done, yet the Chicago media will think we are "shoving him out the door".

Again, :?: :?: :?:

Not "will," but "might" is a possibility. Read what Baby Fisk said in the post directly above this one.

Jjav829
12-01-2005, 02:28 PM

Frater, give it up. You're making an ass out of yourself by labeling people as trolls simply because they refuse to believe your illogical views of how Frank is going to return.

Look, this isn't a videogame. Our 1B and DH spots are settled. That's it. KW didn't give up 2 prospects and Rowand to get a platoon player. He didn't just give PK $12 million for 5 years so that he can sit once or twice a week. Both of these players are full-time, 150+ games-a-year players. Frank isn't coming back. It's a shame it ended the way it did (in terms of him being injured and not playing most of the year), but that's the way things went. Now it's time for Frank and the Sox to part ways. That's just the way it's going to be.

Rick Hahn was on Murph a little while ago (I don't know why I was listening, I just happened to turn on the radio and it was on 670 so I kept listening to the Hahn interview) and basically implied that the Sox won't offer Frank arbitration. There's not a single sign that points to Frank coming back. So you might want to start coming to grips with the fact that Frank is likely gone. Or don't. I don't care. But either way stop calling people trolls because they choose to accept the fact that Frank in all likelihood won't be playing with the Sox next year.

Taliesinrk
12-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Frater, give it up. You're making an ass out of yourself by labeling people as trolls simply because they refuse to believe your illogical views of how Frank is going to return.

Look, this isn't a videogame. Our 1B and DH spots are settled. That's it. KW didn't give up 2 prospects and Rowand to get a platoon player. He didn't just give PK $12 million for 5 years so that he can sit once or twice a week. Both of these players are full-time, 150+ games-a-year players. Frank isn't coming back. It's a shame it ended the way it did (in terms of him being injured and not playing most of the year), but that's the way things went. Now it's time for Frank and the Sox to part ways. That's just the way it's going to be.

Rick Hahn was on Murph a little while ago (I don't know why I was listening, I just happened to turn on the radio and it was on 670 so I kept listening to the Hahn interview) and basically implied that the Sox won't offer Frank arbitration. There's not a single sign that points to Frank coming back. So you might want to start coming to grips with the fact that Frank is likely gone. Or don't. I don't care. But either way stop calling people trolls because they choose to accept the fact that Frank in all likelihood won't be playing with the Sox next year.\

I strongly disagree Jjav. Frater's not making an ass of himself at all... he's stating what needs to be said. While I can admit, and have already, that Frank is probably gone: IT DOESN'T MEAN HE IS! Furthermore, feeling for Frater, it is quite frustrating to see the lack of people on the site pulling for Frank to return. While I may not agree that these posters are on the same level as Moronotti, posts just stating "Frank's gone.. it's best for the team" (<-- not a direct quote, but paraphrase), clearly show a lack of respect or graditude for not only what Frank has done, but the opportunity they have had to have seen him. At some point as well, it has to be noted that Frank's allegiance and dedication to this franchise should be rewarded. Without making any sort of offer to Frank, it is a slap in the face of one of the greatest athletes that Chicago has ever seen.
I think, and I hope that I'm stating this correctly, that Frater would agree with me here when I say that IF the Sox let the Big Man go, they will not only have made a bad decision, but it will be a truly sad day seeing the greatest player and face of the Chicago White Sox franchise leave... something I'm not convinced all on here truly understand.

Frater Perdurabo
12-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Jjav,

Rather than risk letting this thread degenerate, I sent you a PM so we can talk it out in private.

Best,

- Frater

Frater Perdurabo
12-01-2005, 04:06 PM
I think, and I hope that I'm stating this correctly, that Frater would agree with me here when I say that IF the Sox let the Big Man go, they will not only have made a bad decision, but it will be a truly sad day seeing the greatest player and face of the Chicago White Sox franchise leave... something I'm not convinced all on here truly understand.

That is a very astute and accurate summary of my feelings.

IMHO, to make a decision to let Frank go simply because of other roster moves would be a very, very bad one that would scar the good will that the franchise has been accomplished this autumn. IMHO, not even offering Frank an opportunity to finish his career in a White Sox uniform would be as low as the decision to cut Carlton Fisk in the middle of a road trip (even though the situations certainly are not analagous).

IMHO, although the Sox and KW have proven that they no longer are inherently cheap, timid and stupid by nature, letting Frank go without making him a reasonable offer to stay would be a cheap, timid and stupid decision.

Jamieboy
12-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Frank Thomas, my favorite White Sox player hands down. The reason I became a White Sox fan. I wasn't even happy when I heard Konerko signed. I secretly, selfishly was hoping some way, some how, Frank could return. But lets not be foolish. There simply is no room for Frank on the roster at this point. Everett in extreme circumstances could play the field, but Frank can't. You can't have a roster spot for pinch hitter/DH when you have Konerko and Thome on your team. If Frank fully believes he can still play and contribute, I will fully support him if he moves onto a new team. The team that makes the most sense right now would probably be the Orioles I figure. Both their main DH's from last year are gone, Palmeior and Sosa. And if fully is 100%, Camden Yards does favor right handed power hitters.

The Greatest Sox player I've ever seen.
Frank Thomas

RowanDye
12-01-2005, 06:07 PM

I don't think watching Jordan's play decline would have been any more bearable to watch if he was in a Bulls uniform.

areilly
12-01-2005, 06:36 PM
While I may not agree that these posters are on the same level as Moronotti, posts just stating "Frank's gone.. it's best for the team" (<-- not a direct quote, but paraphrase), clearly show a lack of respect or graditude for not only what Frank has done, but the opportunity they have had to have seen him.

As a lifelong fan and as someone who grew up watching Frank decimate AL pitching, it pains me to say this but I cannot see how the man (the MAN) fits anywhere on this team anymore. We have a set lineup and we have plenty of players not only capable of producing but also of staying healthy.

I love Frank but we have to remember that his last full season was 2003. Is it worth it to keep him on board for speculation? For nostalgia?

Frank was - IS - one of the greatest players to ever wear the Sox uniform, but this is not 1995. The organization has to move on and sadly, we the fans are at the mercy of the business.

Taliesinrk
12-01-2005, 06:56 PM
As a lifelong fan and as someone who grew up watching Frank decimate AL pitching, it pains me to say this but I cannot see how the man (the MAN) fits anywhere on this team anymore. We have a set lineup and we have plenty of players not only capable of producing but also of staying healthy.

I love Frank but we have to remember that his last full season was 2003. Is it worth it to keep him on board for speculation? For nostalgia?

Frank was - IS - one of the greatest players to ever wear the Sox uniform, but this is not 1995. The organization has to move on and sadly, we the fans are at the mercy of the business.

We don't keep him on board for speculation.. for nostalgia..
- We keep him on board because he is the face of the franchise. For almost the past 15 years, when someone thought, White Sox, it was Frank who they thought of first. Many, more than people probably realize, are not only Sox fans to this day, but will forever be because of Frank Thomas. An entire generation of Sox fans grew up idolizing the Big Hurt and will forever link the two. The next is, in my opinion, perhaps the most important.
- We keep him on board because he kept the Sox on board. I can't imagine what the franchise would have been like w/o Frank throughout the 90's. His MVP seasons, his batting title, his three division championships. He could always have left, gone somewhere else. If you listened to him after the Series he talked about how everyone always told him to leave, how he wouldn't get a ring in Chicago. Frank always told them no, he wanted to do it on the south side, where he started. That's loyalty, class, and honor.

I'm not saying that the Sox have to have Frank on the team next year. I'm saying that they have to make an effort to have him on the team. They have to do this because it's loyal, classy, and honorable: that's why we keep Frank Thomas on board.

Jjav829
12-01-2005, 07:07 PM
We don't keep him on board for speculation.. for nostalgia..
- We keep him on board because he is the face of the franchise. For almost the past 15 years, when someone thought, White Sox, it was Frank who they thought of first. Many, more than people probably realize, are not only Sox fans to this day, but will forever be because of Frank Thomas. An entire generation of Sox fans grew up idolizing the Big Hurt and will forever link the two. The next is, in my opinion, perhaps the most important.
- We keep him on board because he kept the Sox on board. I can't imagine what the franchise would have been like w/o Frank throughout the 90's. His MVP seasons, his batting title, his three division championships. He could always have left, gone somewhere else. If you listened to him after the Series he talked about how everyone always told him to leave, how he wouldn't get a ring in Chicago. Frank always told them no, he wanted to do it on the south side, where he started. That's loyalty, class, and honor.

I'm not saying that the Sox have to have Frank on the team next year. I'm saying that they have to make an effort to have him on the team. They have to do this because it's loyal, classy, and honorable: that's why we keep Frank Thomas on board.

That's great. But this is a business. You don't make business decisions based on sentimentality or because you feel you owe someone something. You do it because you feel that it benefits the team. KW has already showed he doesn't operate based on sentimentality. If he did Aaron Rowand would currently be our CF.

Taliesinrk
12-01-2005, 07:14 PM
That's great. But this is a business. You don't make business decisions based on sentimentality or because you feel you owe someone something. You do it because you feel that it benefits the team. KW has already showed he doesn't operate based on sentimentality. If he did Aaron Rowand would currently be our CF.

Alright.. I don't agree, but it's ok.. I'd rather stop hijacking the thread (even if it is premature), so I'm going to stop now. I've made my points and apparently not many others agree to the same extent. I do, however, like the idea of the thread and appreciate it (just not the timing)... We should really get it going and show Frank just how much he means to the fans.

ilsox7
12-01-2005, 07:30 PM

Exactly. Above and beyond anything, as a fan, I want to see another Championship. Who the players are is very secondary to me if they win it all.

jerry myers
12-01-2005, 07:35 PM
frank you are a white sox, know matter the future,

antitwins13
12-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Frank, too many good memories to count. You are the best Sox player in history and maybe the best hitter in history hands down. You proved all the critics wrong. Good Luck!

Soxmissy
12-01-2005, 08:26 PM
Frank, it has been a joy and an Honor watching You play! When others doubted you I stood by You! Thanks for all the wonderful memories!
They are forever in My White Sox memories!:bandance:

PKalltheway
12-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Big Frank, I'll miss ya. People mention his outstanding seasons during the 1990's, but the one season I'll always remember, and the one that stands out in my mind the most is the outstanding year he had in 2000. Just when everybody thought he was through, he altered his batting stance and proceeded to blast 43 homers and drive in 143, both of which career highs, and led the Sox to their first postseason appearance in seven years. Now he has his ring, something that Barry Bonds can't even say he has. Frank, thanks for the memories. I hope that you can get your number on the outfield wall soon.

:hurt

WestSox
12-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Now he has his ring, something that Barry Bonds can't even say he has.

And unlike Barry, he also has a clear conscience and nobody saying, "But..." when they look at his career numbers. As we emerge from this shameful, steroid-addled era of baseball, we can look back at Frank's numbers with a sense of pride and dignity. Unlike many of his peers, Frank played the game the right way.

Congrats, Frank. Whatever happens from here, you're a champion now and will always be the greatest hitter in White Sox history. We'll never forget what you did in Chicago. We look forward to seeing you on the outfield wall soon and in Cooperstown later on. :smile: :whiner: :smile:

It's Time
12-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Well, it's official now and I'll wait for some people to admit they were wrong when I started this thread.

Thanks, Frank. You know where you stand.:gulp:

ND_Sox_Fan
12-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Today is a very sad day. For many of us twenty-somethings on this board, Frank Thomas has been the face of the organization (and favorite player for many) for the better part of our lifetimes.

As a young, aspiring firstbaseman, Frank was my sports idol. He made going to and watching Sox games fun for me. While I was most concerned with the outcome of the game, I lived and died with every one of the big man's at bats.

It is difficult to wave goodbye. I hope he can make it back for the ring ceremony, and I will look forward to May 22 (if he signs with the A's). I am sure it will be a sellout and Frank will get the appreciation he deserves. I hope the pitcher and AJ will hold up and force Frank to listen to a five minute ovation from the fans.

Good Luck Big Man - here's one to 500 :gulp:.

The_Floridian
12-07-2005, 01:05 AM
I first saw Frank with the Class A Sarasota White Sox when I was a kid, and I saw him every March when the Sox came to town for Spring Training. I grew up with the guy. Frank is my all time favorite player, and it kills me to know he's gone.

That said, let's just hope for a Harold Baines style return in the final days of his career, followed by a move into a coaching position in the organization. Anybody with that big of a strike zone who can earn that many walks should make for a good hitting coach someday. I'm just saying.

Here's to you Frank, a first ballot Hall of Famer and the greatest player ever to put on a Whtie Sox uniform.

Cheers big feller. :gulp:

It's Time
12-07-2005, 01:11 AM
Has to be done:

Gene Honda: "35, FRaaaaank Thomas!:(:

Nellie_Fox
12-07-2005, 01:14 AM
That's great. But this is a business. You don't make business decisions based on sentimentality or because you feel you owe someone something. You do it because you feel that it benefits the team. KW has already showed he doesn't operate based on sentimentality. If he did Aaron Rowand would currently be our CF.You cannot seriously be trying to make even a tangential comparison between Rowand and Big Frank leaving this team.

Yes, there are some people who have contributed so much to a team for so many years that they are owed an opportunity to at least try to retire in that uniform. Rowand doesn't fit that category. OrdoŁ˝ez didn't. Frank does.

It's Time
12-07-2005, 01:15 AM
Way to bask in your glory on one of the saddest days in White Sox history (at least in my lifetime). That's bull****.. for maybe a couple minutes you could realize that this isn't about "It's Time"... *****

Bull****! You called me out on this thread when it was CLEAR he was gone. I started this thread to honor him, you came along and **** all over it.

Jjav829
12-07-2005, 01:17 AM
You cannot seriously be trying to make even a tangential comparison between Rowand and Big Frank leaving this team.

Yes, there are some people who have contributed so much to a team for so many years that they are owed an opportunity to at least try to retire in that uniform. Rowand doesn't fit that category. OrdoŁ˝ez didn't. Frank does.

You don't operate a team based on owing anyone anything. The Sox gave Frank two chances in the past two years to be the full time DH. Both times Frank failed to take advantage of those chances. It was time to move on and Kenny did just that.

Nellie_Fox
12-07-2005, 01:21 AM
Sorry.. I'm a newbie here, but perhaps we could leave the memory thread to memories. I completely hear ya Nellie.. but I was thinking maybe we could all look back on the thread fondly (hence why i deleted my post in response to "It's Time" a couple mins ago. Perhaps we could take the discussion to another thread?I'm sorry, but I'm what I'm reading on here from a lot (not all) of the posters is "here's to you Frank, but don't let the door hit you in the ass."

Taliesinrk
12-07-2005, 01:25 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm what I'm reading on here from a lot (not all) of the posters is "here's to you Frank, but don't let the door hit you in the ass."

Alright.. that's legit, and is very clear by some and their posts. The threads are for discussion, so please proceed. I was just trying to make a way that next April when I tune in and notice someone's face missing, I could get on here and read all happy memories. That way I wouldn't have to be angered as to why he wasn't offered anything (if this is true) by the Sox and why they didn't seem to check him out before making a giagantic aquisition.

Edit: It's pretty clear some don't appreciate what Frank has done for the organization and the fans.

It's Time
12-07-2005, 01:27 AM
Alright.. that's legit, and is very clear by some and their posts. The threads are for discussion, so please proceed. I was just trying to make a way that next April when I tune in and notice someone's face missing, I could get on here and read all happy memories. That way I wouldn't have to be angered as to why he wasn't offered anything (if this is true) by the Sox and why they didn't seem to check him out before making a giagantic aquisition.

Edit: It's pretty clear some don't appreciate what Frank has done for the organization and the fans.

Got the PM and replied. Who in this thread doesn't appreciate the big man?

CLR01
12-07-2005, 02:38 AM

I am sorry but that statement is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on this board. I have yet to meet, and I doubt I ever will meet, a Sox fan that didn't appreciate the things Frank did for this organization.

Nellie_Fox
12-07-2005, 02:46 AM
I am sorry but that statement is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on this board. I have yet to meet, and I doubt I ever will meet, a Sox fan that didn't appreciate the things Frank did for this organization.Have you been on this board for the past few years? The number of posters who absolutely ripped on Big Frank was amazing to me. The "what have you done for me lately" attitude has been very commonplace.

Taliesinrk
12-07-2005, 02:47 AM
I am sorry but that statement is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on this board. I have yet to meet, and I doubt I ever will meet, a Sox fan that didn't appreciate the things Frank did for this organization.

Perhaps it would be better worded as "fully appreciate"..or "appreciate like they should".. excuse me for mistake.. hopefully it's not one of the most ridiculous now..

Jjav829
12-07-2005, 02:48 AM

Agreed. It seems like some people have a difficult time differentiating between understanding what Frank meant to this organization and what the best decision is with regards to Frank's future as a White Sox. They are two exclusive ideas. I would hope some people come to grasp this idea that one can fully appreciate what Frank has done for this franchise while at the same time understanding that it's best to let go now.

CLR01
12-07-2005, 03:16 AM
Have you been on this board for the past few years? The number of posters who absolutely ripped on Big Frank was amazing to me. The "what have you done for me lately" attitude has been very commonplace.

Ofcourse I have seen people lay into him over things he said or done in the last few years but I don't recall any of them expanding that to include his entire career with the Sox. I will agree that some people if they had their way would have pushed Frank out the door 2-4 years ago but I would not go so far as to say they don't appericate what the man did earlier in his career.

Perhaps it would be better worded as "fully appreciate"..or "appreciate like they should".. excuse me for mistake.. hopefully it's not one of the most ridiculous now..

Agreed.

Nellie_Fox
12-07-2005, 03:19 AM
Ofcourse I have seen people lay into him over things he said or done in the last few years but I don't recall any of them expanding that to include his entire career with the Sox. I will agree that some people if they had their way would have pushed Frank out the door 2-4 years ago but I would not go so far as to say they don't appericate what the man did earlier in his career. Yeah, referring to him as the "big skirt" as was done with regularity showed a great appreciation for his career.

doublem23
12-07-2005, 08:20 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm what I'm reading on here from a lot (not all) of the posters is "here's to you Frank, but don't let the door hit you in the ass."

Just a lot of what have you done for me lately kind of folks.

This hurts. This is it for me, this cuts right to the core of why I am a Sox fan. It hurts almost as much as when I heard Robin Ventura was leaving after 1998. I know that it's probably for the best for the team and for Frank and his pursuit of history, but it's going to be awfully difficult to watch him in any other uniform but our pinstripes.

Thanks for the home runs, the line drives, and the base hits you just flipped over the infield. Thanks for the walks, for having one of the best eyes for the strike zone I've ever seen. Thanks for staying for all these years. Thanks for everything. You deserve that ring you're getting. I know I'm a Sox fan because of that team they had in the early 90's. Black Jack, Carlton Fisk, Joey Cora, One Dog; but mostly the Big Hurt and Robin.

Good bye, Frank Thomas. I'll be there in Cooperstown for your Induction to the Hall of Fame in a few years.

hsnterprize
12-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Frank Thomas was my favorite player on the Sox. I liked Robin, Black Jack, Alvarez, and a lot of other players growing up. I still remember seeing Harold Baines hit home runs at Old Comiskey on TV, or seeing Rudy Law steal bases like Podsednik did last year. It was really fun meeting members of the '83 team when they reunited a couple of years ago. But make no mistake about it...being able to talk to Frank Thomas will always be one of my favorite moments in my career.

He took so much crap from people in the media about his "selfish" attitude and that he was a jerk. When I talked to him in the clubhouse one day, he seemed to be the nicest and friendliest person I could meet. Yes, he's big...but he was a "gentle giant" that day despite having a bad game at the plate.

I can understand his frustration, or perceived frustration, about the team not allowing him to end his career on the south side on his terms. Unfortunately, this business of pro baseball is a cold one, with the "bottom line" being the top priority over sentimentality. I truly hope, as he says, he doesn't have any animosity towards the Sox. I wold love to be at the Cell when the #35 is retired...he deserves every honor he gets, from ceremonies at the ballpark, to enshrinement into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Frank Thomas will ALWAYS be a part of Sox lore no matter what uniform he wears next year. Sure, it'll be strange seeing him in another team's colors, but he'll always be a member of the Silver and Black as far as I'm concerned.

Here's to Cooperstown, Frank. And a portrait on U.S. Cellular Field's left field wall, too. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

kraut83
12-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Well, time to reminice & face that Frank won't be back next year. I remember my first game in the new park with my dad in 1991. Frank broke a scoreless tie (Charie Hough actually threw a shutout!) with a solo shot in the late innings to win it. He's been my favorite player ever since then & I still have never seen anybody with an eye for the strike zone like him!

Here's to you big man: :gulp: It will be hard seeing you in those damn white shoes next year.

rwcescato
12-07-2005, 09:53 AM
With it being official today I would like to thank Frank for all those great memories. It will be weird to see him come into town in a different uniform.

Your the best Frank and I will miss you. I am glad you got your ring in a Sox uniform. Good Luck!!!

Rich

ChiSoxGirl
12-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Now that it's official, it's now time for me to sound off on Frank Thomas.

Today is his last official day as a member of the White Sox, which is going to be very weird for me, since he's been in a Sox uni for as many years as I've been a fan. When he came up with Ventura is when my love for the Sox began. I know this is the business side of baseball, but it's still sad. I was hoping he'd reach that plateau of 500 HRs in a Sox uniform, but it's not happening. I would much rather see him retire than go play elsewhere or for a non-contending team like the D-Rays, just for the sake of playing.

For me, I was never one to harp on the guy when he was given that reputation of being whiney and self-centered. I guess I always look for the good in people and when I looked at Thomas, all I saw were his amazing power numbers and HOF potential one day. He was the greatest hitter in the early-mid '90s for the Sox and will never been forgotten.

I remember a game in August 2003 against the Angels. The Sox were down with the tying and go-ahead runs on third & second, respectively. Thomas drove one deep to center and it one-hopped the wall, scoring the two runners on base and giving the Sox the winner. The pandemonium in the ballpark that night, and the sight of fans standing on their seats in jubilation (I was admittedly one of them) was unforgettable. Going way back to 1991, I remember a walk-off homerun by Ventura at Comiskey Park when Thomas picked Ventura up and threw him over his shoulder, as though he were as light as a feather. Truly priceless and unforgeable moments given to us by The Big Hurt.

From this season, I'll never forget his quote from 10.26.05, "This is the greatest day of my life. I don't care what else I do in this game; this is very special. This team put me on its back and carried me across the finish line." The team did carry him across the finish line, and he thanked them for doing so by showing up in Cleveland the last weekend of the season and staying with them right on through October.

So goes life as a World Champion, I guess. He got the one thing he wanted more than anything in his professional career- a World Championship Ring- and is going out in style. Much love to you, Frank, and thanks for a lifetime of unforgettable moments and memories.

DenverSock
12-07-2005, 12:22 PM
"This is the greatest day of my life. I don't care what else I do in this game; this is very special. This team put me on its back and carried me across the finish line." The team did carry him across the finish line, and he thanked them for doing so by showing up in Cleveland the last weekend of the season and staying with them right on through October.

I think that sums it up nicely. No White Sox fan cannot look back on Frank's career with anything other than appreciation. Good bye big Frank.

mwc44
12-07-2005, 02:24 PM
I got my season tickets in 1991 for two reasons: I've been a life long White Sox fan who was finally in a position in life that could afford them, and I saw a kid that came up that, just by his presence, was going to be something special... the future of the franchise. I guess I wasn't wrong.

Over the years, 1/2 of the memorabilia I've acquired has been Frank Thomas related; a collection I've expanded and never intend to let go. My children grew up sitting in those seats; not more than spitting distance from the man who became their baseball hero. To this day, they still talk about how many times he almost ended up in their laps when he would chase after a foul ball on the occasions he played first and didn't just DH. Oddly enough, the only time they DIDN'T have to go to the bathroom was when Frank strolled to the plate. They both wanted jerseys with 35 on them, and to this day, even though they've outgrown them, they still hold onto them as a keepsake... along with all the cards, pictures, autographs, and most importantly, stories about the big man at first who could hit the ball a mile.

Our predecessors in other cities may have had the likes of Ruth, Williams, DiMaggio, Robinson, Aaron and Mays, but we here in Chicagoland were blessed with our own superstar... someone we will all tell stories about to OUR grandkids. It's just a shame it had to end the way it did.

Thanks Frank... and even though it may appear that you weren't ushered out in a way befitting you, we won't forget you... and GOOD LUCK!

HawkISox
12-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Thanks Frank. I sat through a lot of games where you were the only thing the Sox had going for them. Saw you hit two homers in a game, that was one of my top 5 sports events to see in person.

Dont let them retire your number until Williams and Reinsdorf are gone. Dont give him the satisfaction while he is owner.

Pureone
12-08-2005, 01:06 AM
Thank you Frank.

One of my favorite athletes of all time... after Slammin' Sammy!

lostletters
12-08-2005, 04:02 AM
I remember the last Frank Thomas HR against detriot, it sure was special.

I remember so much about the guy, he really defined much of my life as a White Sox fan. I am going to miss him. Frank, the fans still love you on the South Side, we will miss you. I know our relationship was rocky at times, but it is not like we never cared. You will always live in our hearts. It is nice to see you got to leave the team with a ring.

Steelrod
12-08-2005, 05:57 AM
Gonna miss you Big Guy! Best of luck.

Steelrod
12-08-2005, 05:58 AM
Thanks Frank. I sat through a lot of games where you were the only thing the Sox had going for them. Saw you hit two homers in a game, that was one of my top 5 sports events to see in person.

Dont let them retire your number until Williams and Reinsdorf are gone. Dont give him the satisfaction while he is owner.
Will never understand this kind of thinking~Nothing will make you happy!

eastchicagosoxfan
12-08-2005, 06:52 AM
Frank and BlackJack beat the Twinkies one-zip on a solo shot by Hurt.

Bobbo35
12-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Frank Thomas no matter what anyone else says is White Sox baseball. Just like the guys on the wall in left center field, he is classic to this organization. i am going to have a hard time next year seeing him in another jersey. I have got my shrine already going in my basement in honor of him. Sucks that I have to retire his jersey. Thanks Frank for the great memories and unforgettable swing.

duke of dorwood
12-08-2005, 08:52 AM
For all you young ones, who may not have seen great Sox players of the past, be glad that you did see the Greatest Hitter in Sox history during YOUR lifetime.

JoeClutch24
12-08-2005, 11:24 AM
My favorite Thomas moment was in '95 when he won the Home Run Derby against Albert Belle and hit a moonshot that hit the American Flag in Left Field. I was 8 and me and my dad were there since I lived only 25 minutes from the stadium, but it was the longest ball hit I've ever seen.

veeter
12-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Frank, you were the most devastating offensive force, I've ever seen. Thanks for all your hard work. See you at the Hall of Fame.

HawkISox
12-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Will never understand this kind of thinking~Nothing will make you happy!

Thats not true. They could have worked out some sort of incentive type contract with Frank. The thing that bothers me is that there is risk with Thome. Its not like there is a Ryan Howard waiting in the wings. Back injuries are serious, and the guys swing is huge. Frank showed last year that when healthy, he can still produce. I will be interested to see what sort of contract he gets, and compare the production to Thome this year. If Frank can get two more years, he will likely get 500 HR's, in someone else's uniform. That's painful enough, and if its the Twins, its a twist of the knife.

WWSHD (What would Schueler have Done?)

vafan
12-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Frank Thomas. The best player the White Sox have ever had. A Hall of Fame player whose career numbers have been unfairly diminished by peers who bulked up through steroid use. (Had Giambi not been using in 2000, Frank would have 3 MVP awards already, and everyone with that many is in the HOF.) He can always say he helped bring a World Series to Chicago, and for that, we should all be happy.

beckett21
12-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Thank you for all the great memories Frank. You'll be missed, but you will always be remembered as a member of the White Sox family when all is said and done.

In his prime, arguably the best pure hitter of his generation. Kudos on a Hall of Fame career. Best wishes. :gulp:

JB98
12-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Thats not true. They could have worked out some sort of incentive type contract with Frank. The thing that bothers me is that there is risk with Thome. Its not like there is a Ryan Howard waiting in the wings. Back injuries are serious, and the guys swing is huge. Frank showed last year that when healthy, he can still produce. I will be interested to see what sort of contract he gets, and compare the production to Thome this year. If Frank can get two more years, he will likely get 500 HR's, in someone else's uniform. That's painful enough, and if its the Twins, its a twist of the knife.

WWSHD (What would Schueler have Done?)

And, of course, there would be no risk in bringing Frank back at all. Thome's back injury is serious. Frank's ankle isn't serious at all.

Frank has had three major injuries in the last five years. He's broken his ankle twice in the last 18 months. He's going to get hurt again. I'm tired of constantly worrying about whether Frank is going to be healthy or not. KW made the right decision to move on. Do you honestly think Frank would accept an incentive-laden contract to serve as a backup to Thome? Not in a million years.

Frank is the greatest White Sox of them all. I may never see a better one on the Sox in my lifetime. Hopefully, he can return to the organization is some capacity after he retires. It's too bad he couldn't retire in Chicago, but baseball is a business with no room for sentiment. I wish Frank all the best, except when he plays against us.

Nellie_Fox
12-09-2005, 03:02 PM
...He's going to get hurt again....I love the absolute certainty so many people have about this. Been examining Frank's medical records, have you?

but baseball is a business with no room for sentiment.Baseball would cease to exist without sentiment.

It is only sentiment that keeps us attached to one team throughout our lives, rather than re-evaluating each year and deciding which team to back based on the probablility of winning.

JB98
12-09-2005, 08:57 PM
I love the absolute certainty so many people have about this. Been examining Frank's medical records, have you?

Baseball would cease to exist without sentiment.

It is only sentiment that keeps us attached to one team throughout our lives, rather than re-evaluating each year and deciding which team to back based on the probablility of winning.

Frank has been hurt enough that I wouldn't be willing to risk building the 2006 lineup around him. I don't trust that he'll stay healthy. KW apparently feels the same, and he has much more knowledge of the situation than I do. In KW I trust.

Show me a sentimental GM, and I'll show you a loser.

Nellie_Fox
12-10-2005, 02:02 AM
Frank has been hurt enough that I wouldn't be willing to risk building the 2006 lineup around him. I don't trust that he'll stay healthy. KW apparently feels the same, and he has much more knowledge of the situation than I do. In KW I trust.

Show me a sentimental GM, and I'll show you a loser.Neither is what you said in your first post. You said that "he's going to get hurt again." That's a statement of certainty, very different from saying that you don't trust that he'll stay healthy. Then you said "baseball is a business with no room for sentiment." Again, that's very different from saying that general managers can't base decisions on sentiment, even though I don't even totally agree with that. The goal of professional sports is to make money. Winning championships usually does that, but sometimes there are decisions made that will make money that are not directly connected to win championships. Some players can put kiesters in the seats even though they can't win championships anymore.

Gosox1917
12-10-2005, 02:44 AM
I just realized I was among the 39,416 to watch what ended up being his last game in a White Sox uniform on July 20th, 2005. 1 for 4 on the day. I can remember every time Frank went deep when I went to a game and some seasons, he was really the only reason to go to a Sox game. One of the best pure-hitters the game has ever seen and certainly the best hitter the organization has ever known. You got the ultimate prize in the Sox uniform, and I'm so happy that you get to go out on top. From number 1 to 448, and all the singles, doubles, walks, and runs batted in, in between, thanks for the memories Big Hurt. You will be missed.

Nellie_Fox
12-10-2005, 03:01 AM
One of the best pure-hitters the game has ever seen and certainly the best hitter the organization has ever known.Arguably the best hitter, maybe, but not certainly. Luke Appling hit .388 in 1936 (.474 OBP), .348 in 1940 (.420 OBP.) Those are some serious numbers.

Wsoxmike59
12-10-2005, 01:41 PM
From the time I first saw Frank play in his first game with the Sox (which coincidently was Young Alex Fernandez' first game too) you could tell that he was going to be something special. The Big Hurt did not disappoint.

The thing that stands out to me was Frank's batting eye. I remember thinking to myself that I'd never seen a rookie have such command and knowledge of the strike zone like Frank Thomas had when he first came up. He would not swing at a bad ball his first few years in the league.

From 1991-'97 it was such a special treat to go out to New Comiskey II and watch the Big Hurt do his thing. '98-'99 were rough on Frank due to injuries and health. The rejuvenated Big Frank in 2000 was a lot of fun to see. He really deserved the MVP that year.

Were it not for injuries, Frank would've never seen the dip in his numbers that occurred the past few years. Here's to you Big Guy, thanks for the memories and you'll forever be a White Sox legend.

I look FW to seeing your #35 being retired in the not too distant future. Time to make some more room on the OF wall for Big Frank's likeness which will be up there before too long.

jjmlmg13
12-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Thomas is more devastating as far as avg and on base % but not power. If we had Thome all these years, he would be our single season home run leader and not Joey Belle.

LongLiveFisk
12-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Thank you, Frank! I'm so glad you got the ring before leaving, and I wish you all the best! :gulp:

TimoPerez
12-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Thank You Frank Thomas.

Even before I became a White Sox fan, I remember watching you and thinking about how good you were. You are still one of the top two or three hitters I have ever seen. Now I am a pretty young person but that is still amazing. I was in a journalism class the other day and the teacher said, "Frank Thomas went 3-4" as an example for a portion of our sports writing subject. She then followed that up with, "He used to be good." I felt the need to defend. I said, "He still is." Now I know she didn't care and I know nobody else in the class cared. I do know the truth though.

Thank you for a wonderful White Sox career and I'm sure you will be back in Sox pinstripes some day in Cooperstown.

Once again, thank you and good luck.

MVP
12-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Dear Frank,
I've always been one of your biggest fans. There were so many great things you did out in the ball field. Still, my favorite memory of you is you signing my Sox hat outside Comiskey Park following your workout on a cold winter day in 1993. I just so happened to be getting Sox merchandise at the ballpark that day when I saw you and asked you for an autograph. You are the greatest player in Sox history and I will be present at your Hall of Fame induction ceremony when you are inducted. Thanks for all the great memories. I hope that maybe we can see you in a Sox uniform again.
Martin Perez

rbeze09
12-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Frank, wherever you're at you are the reason I love the white sox so much..i remember the chills i felt everytime you stepped up to the dish...and how excited I was everytime you came up in a clutch situation, because I knew you would come through...i remember being the very last person in line at soxfest to get your autograph and harolds, and it was worth every minute of the wait because you are the greatest hitter I have ever had the opportunity to watch on a consistent basis and you were the face of the team I have loved since I was boy...frank you will always be a white sox...hit another 52 home runs shut up your critics and we'll see you in cooperstown

jvoboogie
12-12-2005, 11:31 PM
If youve been around this team for a number of years, (45 for me) you get attached to players, its natural. To this day my favorite player is still Jim Landis and most of the players that played in the early 60's. Everybody picks a player they can identify with for whatever reason. Usually these players personify the era that they play. Definitely this is what Frank Thomas did. He is what Pudge, Dick Allen, Nellie Fox, Luke Appling, and Joe Jackson meant to the era that they played in. Probably one of the saddest days to me was when Luis Aparicio was traded to the Orioles. That didn't change his legacy with the team. I do hope that Frank returns to the team after his playing days are over. His number deserves to be on the outfield wall, as well as the plaque in Cooperstown.

Beauty35thStreet
12-16-2005, 03:44 PM
That's some good stuff

If youve been around this team for a number of years, (45 for me) you get attached to players, its natural. To this day my favorite player is still Jim Landis and most of the players that played in the early 60's. Everybody picks a player they can identify with for whatever reason. Usually these players personify the era that they play. Definitely this is what Frank Thomas did. He is what Pudge, Dick Allen, Nellie Fox, Luke Appling, and Joe Jackson meant to the era that they played in. Probably one of the saddest days to me was when Luis Aparicio was traded to the Orioles. That didn't change his legacy with the team. I do hope that Frank returns to the team after his playing days are over. His number deserves to be on the outfield wall, as well as the plaque in Cooperstown.

Beauty35thStreet
12-16-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm 25 years old and was a big Frank Thomas fan from early on. My reasons for being a fan when I was younger dealt with him being a guy that could deliver us a win. That excited me because I compared him to 23 and 34.

As I got older and I saw the team change and go through probably more disappointments than acivements, Frank seemed to be the one guy that was stable on this team. My childhood hero still played the game with intensity and the Sox always were better when he was in the line-up. The young guys seemed to look up to him. I admired that greatly about this man.
C. Lee, Mags, ARow, Uribe, Sosa, Harris are just a few who enjoyed Frank as a teammate and seemed to have complemented him very highly.

When the Sox won the World Series, I was happy for no one more than 35. I felt no one deserved this more than him with the exception of maybe Harold Baines. Although he is not with the team now, he helped contribute to a World Series Championship and will always be part of the White Sox family. 35 will be retired and I'm confident that he'll be enshrined in Cooperstown. I'm even confident that he will reach 500 HRs and wouldn't be surprised to see him back with the Sox.

Frank, you were the athlete that I identified with and the athlete that I watched as I learned to love the White Sox. As I grew up, watching Sox baseball was a fixture when everything around me changed it seemed. Thank you for making baseball fun for me and giving me someone to cheer for. I'm still cheering now.

miker
12-16-2005, 05:19 PM
From when he came up till the last few injury-filled years, Frank was the best right-handed hitter I've ever seen in person. Power, average and discipline -- a truly lethal combination.

Like the White Sox, he was misunderstood and never received the respect that he deserved. If there was only one disappointment for 2005, it's that Frank wasn't on the field for that last out.

Thanks for the memories 35. Like one of your monster homers, it was quite a ride.

cubkilla#1soxfan
12-17-2005, 05:02 AM
The best hitter of all time not to use steroids or cork his bat.
He was my favorite player since I was six years old.
My favorite player of all time, Frank Thomas. I hope this isn't the last time in a White Sox uniform.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/v/mlb/players/5/4527.jpg

thomas35forever
12-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Frank's been my favorite player since I started following baseball 9 years ago. I saw hit home runs in a lot of games I saw, including one against Arizona this year. He really did kill the ball as soon as it left his bat. No matter who he signs with next season, he will always be my favorite player ever. Maybe we should do what we did with Harold Baines and retire his number while he's still playing. Good luck Frank! With any luck, you'll still hit your 500th home run in Chicago!!!!!!!!!