PDA

View Full Version : Does Ozzie get to pick the additional All Stars?

soxpower
11-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Does the manager of league champs still get to pick the reserve players? If so, then you know there is going to be alot of White Sox players :smile: going to the 06 All Star game.

Frater Perdurabo
11-30-2005, 12:47 PM
I hadn't even thought about that, but unless they change the rule, Ozzie should get a few picks after the fans' and players' selections get named. If he's really smart, he'll pick Buehrle, Garland, Contreras and Garcia, let each pitch to one batter, and then burn out the Indians, Red Sox, Angles and Yankees pitchers!

:supernana:

Jjav829
11-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Does the manager of league champs still get to pick the reserve players? If so, then you know there is going to be alot of White Sox players :smile: going to the 06 All Star game.

Not really. The fans vote in the starters (8). The players' vote fills in the primary backup for each position (8) and the pitchers (8). That adds up to 24 positions filled by the voting. That leaves 7 spots open for Ozzie and the Commissioner's Office to work together in filling. Of those 7 you can bet a couple of those spots will have to go to players from the Devil Rays and Royals who won't be voted in. Add in maybe another player or two needed to represent a team as well as Ozzie needing a good number of backups for each position and you're talking about maybe 2 or 3 spots Ozzie can use to take a Sox player. It's not like we're going to see 7 Sox players this year (thank you Joe Torre). The number of Sox players going to the All Star game will still be largely determined by fan and player vote.

bobowhite
11-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Not really. The fans vote in the starters (8). The players' vote fills in the primary backup for each position (8) and the pitchers (8). That adds up to 24 positions filled by the voting. That leaves 7 spots open for Ozzie and the Commissioner's Office to work together in filling. Of those 7 you can bet a couple of those spots will have to go to players from the Devil Rays and Royals who won't be voted in. Add in maybe another player or two needed to represent a team as well as Ozzie needing a good number of backups for each position and you're talking about maybe 2 or 3 spots Ozzie can use to take a Sox player. It's not like we're going to see 7 Sox players this year (thank you Joe Torre). The number of Sox players going to the All Star game will still be largely determined by fan and player vote.

On the other hand, I thought Ozzie got to pick his entire coaching staff. Tradition normally dicates that he picks the host team's skipper, should it be in an AL park.

I've always thought this was a unique opportunity for a manager to pick one or two really unsung guys from his team or not and pencil them in. I'd think Ozzie would take Iguchi if not voted into either starter or main back-up.

Mohoney
11-30-2005, 01:20 PM
On the other hand, I thought Ozzie got to pick his entire coaching staff. Tradition normally dicates that he picks the host team's skipper, should it be in an AL park.

I think it's in Pittsburgh.

chaerulez
11-30-2005, 03:38 PM

Did they make this new system due to the fact that Torre couldn't handle picking an unbiased team when he always threw in 8 Yankees on the team?

Then Torre would say that a .230 hitting Jason Giambi "deserved to be there". Moron.

KRS1
11-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Cetainly he'll add the one guy who shoulda been there this year to the squad, thats right Tads.

DaBears
11-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Doesnt the manager get to choose the players who replace those who are injured/dont want to play?

SouthSoxFan
11-30-2005, 04:28 PM
Doesnt the manager get to choose the players who replace those who are injured/dont want to play?
Yes, that's where he gets some freedom. The first round of mgr selections is very limited, and constrained by the every team must be represented rule. But once you get to the week of the game, there are always replacements that have to be picked. That's how Matt Clement got to the game - Francona picked him. Ozzie will have a chance to take care of one or two of his players when the time comes.

Fenway
11-30-2005, 04:39 PM
Terry Francona was very candid about the process.

Phyllis Merhige who is the person who "runs" the American League tells the manager who he "must" pick

She the woman who handled the news conferences during the ALCS and home games of the World Series.

chisoxfanatic
11-30-2005, 05:30 PM
It's not like we're going to see 7 Sox players this year (thank you Joe Torre).

We may not see seven Sox players in 2006; however, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox got five or six, considering they're gonna get much more exposure now than ever. I wouldn't be surprised if Thome recorded a great deal of votes, as he is well-respected around the league. Konerko is Konerko. And looking at how Sox fans rallied for Scott Podsednik this past year to get him in, I wouldn't be surprised if we have a starter that is not a pitcher this year.