PDA

View Full Version : Bonds wants to play in World Classic

knocko94
11-30-2005, 11:17 AM
Barry Bonds plans to play for the U.S. team in the World Baseball Classic in March.

The San Francisco Giants (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=sfo) slugger has told the players' association he'll play, the The Oakland Tribune reported Wednesday.

"It's not official," agent Jeff Borris told the paper. "There are still a few details to be worked out. But he has agreed to play."

Bonds said this fall that he would like to get his playing weight down to around 200, which would mean losing approximately 40 pounds this winter. He was at 185 as a rookie in 1986, but hasn't been close to that in years. Last year, players and owners agreed to a drug-testing policy for the event consistent with the guidelines set by the World Anti-Doping Agency and the Olympic movement.

40 pounds! Wow, that's a ton of weight to lose.

Olympic testing utilizes blood tests that include HGH right?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2241953

knocko94
11-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Man, the embedded links on espn.com make the format crazy.

edit: fixed it

Clembasbal
11-30-2005, 01:05 PM
I am sure that MLB is going to try and keep him out of it saying that his knee is too bad and that he is not physically able to play. IF the testing is the same as in the Olympics.

soxfanatlanta
12-01-2005, 06:23 AM
Can you imagine how much he would be clobbered by the press if he did not take the same drug tests as the other players in the WBC? I would almost pay money to see that happen. Well...almost

Coolpapa
12-02-2005, 03:12 AM
40 pounds, wow must be TRIMSPA. Pudge Rodriguez looked smaller too, must be SLIMFAST, Giambi slimmed down, must be SWEATING TO THE OLDIES............3 strikes and out cheaters.

Fredsox
12-02-2005, 05:49 AM
I don't think major league baseball is doing itself any favors by having a cheater like Bonds represent any country in the competition.

Here's a suggestion: let's put together an All-Roids team consisting of all the players who got busted last year or have admitted using them at one time or another. Special exceptions can be made for players who's memory is so poor that they can't talk about the past or speak English very well. Let them enter the World Baseball Classic as a team and the entire world can see what a bunch of cheaters looks like.

asindc
12-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Can you imagine how much he would be clobbered by the press if he did not take the same drug tests as the other players in the WBC? I would almost pay money to see that happen. Well...almost

There's no way he could NOT take the tests and be on the team. Remember the Greek sprinter who suddenly "crashed" his motorcycle a few days before the Olympics? There is much speculation, based on his past behavior, that he staged it to avoid taking mandatory drug tests. In any international competition, the test taking is mandatory, it is not up to the individuals. And from what has been reported, the tests in this context are just as strict as the Olympic tests.

Bottom line, as big a jerk as Bonds has been, there is no way he could not know the scrutiny he will be under, from the organizing authorities and the world press.

bobowhite
12-02-2005, 10:25 AM
I know I'll get bashed for this but I for one am glad that a star of Barry Bonds caliber is eager to represent this country in the world cup of baseball. Given that all of the other teams will be a smattering of major leaguers and a bunch of minor leaguers at best, this tournament will show what American competitive spirit is. Are we wimps like Sheffield or can we field a team of real major leaguers and show the world why baseball is an American game? Bonds will have to take the exact same drug screen as everyone else. He knows that and obviously is prepared for it.

I do take issue with some/many things he says in his personal life and when speaking from his lockerroom seat.

But commiting to American honor is a good step. Way to go Barry!!!

antitwins13
12-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Where would he play? :hawk