PDA

View Full Version : Speeding up the game

Paulwny
12-19-2001, 09:12 AM
Saw some posts concerning lenth of games, here's some of my ideas.

1) Batters continually stepping out of the box to readjust their batting gloves, should be stopped.

2)The last couple of years the yankmees have had the longest running games. Being a veteran team, when they notice the pitcher getting into a rhythm, they'll start calling for time when the pitcher starts his delivery. Umpires should start enforcing the rules.

3)Catchers should be allowed only 1 visit to the mound per inning or new pitcher that inning.

4)Except for the post season, infielders shouldn't be allowed on the mound. This is usually a stall tactic until a reliever is ready.

5)Limit the number of consecutive throws to 1st base. Stepping off the mound to get a runner back to a base would be considered a throw.

6)Once a pitcher goes into his pitching motion, he must deliver a pitch.

7) After a batter makes an out the next batters name should be announced. Why do we have to wait till he's almost in the dugout?

8)Pinch hitters should't be allowed to go through a 5 min. aerobics routine before batting. Take a few practice swings and get into the box.

9)If a batter misses a sign, tough, he shouldn't be allowed to call time and have a discussion with a coach. The same would go for base runners.

10) A small item- If you forgot your sun glasses, etc, tough, finish the inning, no time out.

harwar
12-19-2001, 10:14 AM
We have to be careful what we ask for.Several years ago everyone was talking about speeding up the game,so during winter meetings everyone agreed that the umps would move the game along faster.Then around about february i found out that they added another 30 seconds between each inning for more commercial time.If they shave more and more time off the game itself i fear all we will be left with is longer commercial time between innings.I realize the teams need the money,but i can foresee a time when in-between innings is so long that they start having entertainment during that time.

czalgosz
12-19-2001, 11:39 AM
And really, the only people who gripe about longer games are Sportswriters who have deadlines. As for the rest of us, does anyone here really want less baseball?

That said, I really am sick of the batter stepping out after every pitch. The rules state that they should keep one foot in the batter's box at all times, unless the umpire calls time.

Paulwny
12-19-2001, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

That said, I really am sick of the batter stepping out after every pitch. The rules state that they should keep one foot in the batter's box at all times, unless the umpire calls time.

Along with yours, can anyone explain what's going on in a pitchers mind? At 1st base is a Frank or Giambi type player with a 6 inch lead and the pitcher lobs a ball to first, what's the purpose?

Daver
12-19-2001, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Along with yours, can anyone explain what's going on in a pitchers mind? At 1st base is a Frank or Giambi type player with a 6 inch lead and the pitcher lobs a ball to first, what's the purpose?

A lot of times the pitcher doesn't like the pitch call so he heaves one to first,to see if a different pitch call will be made.

Paulwny
12-19-2001, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by daver

A lot of times the pitcher doesn't like the pitch call so he heaves one to first,to see if a different pitch call will be made.

I've heard that before, I don't buy it, just step off.
Last season with Tino Martinez at 1st the pitcher lobbed the ball over 3 consecutive times.

Moses_Scurry
12-19-2001, 01:03 PM
Another rule I've always thought would help would be to not actually throw the 4 balls on an intentional walk. They could just have the manager make a motion or something. How often do you see a wild pitch on an intentional walk?

Spiff
12-19-2001, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
5)Limit the number of consecutive throws to 1st base. Stepping off the mound to get a runner back to a base would be considered a throw.

Not bad ideas, I too would like to see the games move along a little faster. Maybe only have commercial breaks every inning instead of every half inning.

But re:#5

Say they make it three consecutive throws to first. If a pitcher does that, then no matter what they have to go home. That means the guy on first can basically walk half way to second b/c the pitcher can't throw it over. Maybe he could throw to second but then the runner could get back easily.

Iwritecode
12-19-2001, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Moses_Scurry
Another rule I've always thought would help would be to not actually throw the 4 balls on an intentional walk. They could just have the manager make a motion or something. How often do you see a wild pitch on an intentional walk?

I once saw a guy throw a ball almost right down the middle of the plate during an intentional walk. The catcher barely got to it...

:)

Paulwny
12-19-2001, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00

Not bad ideas, I too would like to see the games move along a little faster. Maybe only have commercial breaks every inning instead of every half inning.

But re:#5

Say they make it three consecutive throws to first. If a pitcher does that, then no matter what they have to go home. That means the guy on first can basically walk half way to second b/c the pitcher can't throw it over. Maybe he could throw to second but then the runner could get back easily.

I also was stuck with this problem. The only option if there is another throw to 1st and the runner is safe is to award a ball to the batter. Kind of unworkable.

Daver
12-19-2001, 02:54 PM
I suppose they could adopt George Carlin's idea for speeding up the game,if the pitcher hits the batter the batter is out.I think you would see some short games.

Paulwny
12-19-2001, 02:57 PM
I suppose they could adopt George Carlin's idea for speeding up the game,if the pitcher hits the batter the batter is out.I think you would see some short games.

Didn't we lead the league in hitting batters? We could have been in the play-offs.

Nellie_Fox
12-20-2001, 04:02 AM
I saw a film of an old Yankees World Series game from the early 50's. Mantle hit a homer. He just ran around the bases, and as he crossed home, Yogi shook his hand and stepped into the batter's box in the same motion, already levelling his bat across the plate, ready for a pitch. Just enforce the rule about staying in the batter's box, and all else will fall into place. I agree that only sportswriters care how long the game lasts, but even the most die-hard fan doesn't want to watch guys step out to adjust their wrist bands and batting gloves all day.

Dadawg_77
12-21-2001, 12:59 PM
hey another thing to speed up games is to have better pitching. Less runs means less time, better games. I guess it depends on who is playing, a world series can never be to long but a Marlins vs the Rays can be to long if it last longer then 2 hours.

kermittheefrog
12-21-2001, 03:47 PM
Bill James wrote an excellent article on this in the new Historical Baseball Abstract. His idea isn't to speed up the game to please sportswriters but to get rid of the delays that make the game less exciting. I agree, a lot of this would make the games more exciting. Here are his ideas:

1. Give the pitcher 2 unsuccessful throws to first per inning. - I like it, sure that will mean more stolen base attempts but theres a reason there are catchers. The key word is unsuccessful, that way if a guy is way off first you can take a chacne and throw him out. But if you don't throw him out it's a ball.

2. Once the batter steps in the box time will not be called without a legitimate reason. Such as a dog biting the batter in the crotch. - Gets rid of human rain delays like Knoblauch and Nomar.

3. Cut the commercial time between innings from 2 minutes to 90 seconds. - Ha Bud would never let that happen and James admits it.

4. Stricter rules on the maximum and minimum dimensions of bats to get rid of the bats that are all barrel and tiny handles.

5. Move the batters box off the plate about 4 inches. To be done gradually over several years.

6. Limit mid inning pitching changes. One free pitching change. If the current pitcher has allowed a run he may be replaced. If the current pitcher is injured he may be replaced. - That gets rid of silly platoon pitchign changes in the middle of the 9th inning that completely stop the pace of the game at the most exciting point.

WinningUgly!
12-21-2001, 08:00 PM

Hit 27 guys & you've got yourself a perfect game!

Daver
12-21-2001, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Exactly,you get to guys with control up on the mound and look out.

RichH55
12-22-2001, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Sounds too much like Cricket for my taste....but at least it would give Bob Tewksbury a job again