PDA

View Full Version : Konerko turns down Orioles deal worth 65 Million

basilesox
11-29-2005, 11:15 PM
I just heard this at the very end of sportscenter. Turns down 65 million over 5 years.

DumpJerry
11-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Of course he did. No chance for the playoffs there. No pitching and the Yanks and Red Sox are in your division and Blue Jays are looking better next year. too.

soxfanreggie
11-29-2005, 11:19 PM
I know he's between Chicago and the west coast, but it's good to hear him turn down $13 mil per year for 5 years (around what he wanted).

HotelWhiteSox
11-29-2005, 11:21 PM
Baltimore Sun link http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-os30,1,7860864.story?track=rss
(If it asks for email and pass word, just go through news.yahoo.com and type in "Orioles Konerko", and you won't have to worry about that)

Banix12
11-29-2005, 11:26 PM
Man, i'm just hearing reports all over the place. The deal ESPNews was reporting that the Orioles offered this afternoon was only 4yrs/$50 million.

I can't wait for all this garbage to be over and he signs.

HaroMaster87
11-29-2005, 11:26 PM
Wow...did you guys read in the middle of that article that Konerko was diagnosed years ago by White Sox doctors as having an arthiritic hip????

MUsoxfan
11-29-2005, 11:46 PM
I just heard this at the very end of sportscenter. Turns down 65 million over 5 years.

The O's offered him NOTHING he wants. No spring training in AZ and no winning team in sight. IMO, this shows he's not all about the cash

LuvSox
11-30-2005, 12:03 AM
Wow...did you guys read in the middle of that article that Konerko was diagnosed years ago by White Sox doctors as having an arthiritic hip????

No offense, but that is very old news. We've had some heated discussions about that before.............:o:

HaroMaster87
11-30-2005, 12:30 AM
no offense taken...its just the first i had heard of it. It must not be a major deal with all of these clubs throwing all this money at him.

And the Sox seem to have a sixth sense and know when to cut lose guys who are about to get hurt (Belle,sirotka,parque,mcdowell,fernandez,alvarez,b ere......)

LuvSox
11-30-2005, 12:32 AM
no offense taken...its just the first i had heard of it. It must not be a major deal with all of these clubs throwing all this money at him.

And the Sox seem to have a sixth sense and know when to cut lose guys who are about to get hurt (Belle,sirotka,parque,mcdowell,fernandez,alvarez,b ere......)

IIRC, Belle and Fernandez walked on their own.

Actually, I forgot about the Konerko-hip controversy until you brought it up. Good point.

batmanZoSo
11-30-2005, 12:35 AM

Yeah, it was worrisome at one point, but it doesn't seem to have bothered him the past few years. He'll be back.

schmitty9800
11-30-2005, 01:42 AM
espn link http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2241612

I am worried about the 5/60 deal that the Halos are, it sounds like that kind of deal will have to be matched. The Angels are a great contender and a lot closer to his home than Chicago. I think he's worth 12 a year, but who knows what Kenny wants.

ShoelessJoeS
11-30-2005, 01:54 AM
Even though the O's are going nowhere, it still feels good that he declined a 5 year $65 million contract. Somehow I had a feeling it was going to be between us and the Angles anyway.

fquaye149
11-30-2005, 04:19 AM
Yeah, it was worrisome at one point, but it doesn't seem to have bothered him the past few years. He'll be back.

Doesn't it have something to do with why he's slower than a sea-slug? Beckett? Anybody medical?

steff
11-30-2005, 06:23 AM

:rolleyes:

Law11
11-30-2005, 08:02 AM
Mike & Mike had a nice bit on this, this morning.. It was a mock plea from the city of baltimore to get Paulie.

Something like "I rafael palmeri... No that wont fly..." I sammy s... Um r. no that wont work." I Brian Billcik would like to extend you... No he's too dated.." "Well Mr. Konerko we can offer you crab cakes...."
"please Mr. Konerko Baltimore needs a sports star badly!"

It was pretty funny.

ChiSoxGirl
11-30-2005, 08:25 AM
I never really viewed the Orioles as any kind of threat in snatching up Konerko, as they're simply not a competitor, so this news is no surprise. Paulie wants to be on a winning team in a city where he's loved. Not only that, the Orioles train down in Florida; he wants to train in Arizona so he can be close to the family.

Things are sounding awfully good right now. I just hope we can "zone him in, reel him in, and light 'em up!" :cool:

chisox
11-30-2005, 09:01 AM
no real surprise here.

Flight #24
11-30-2005, 09:16 AM
Excellent news. I fully expected him to turn down any offer from the O's unless it absolutely blew the others out of the water. But I also figured that the one team that could get stupid with Paulie was the O's, with a 6-yr/$75M offer not completely out of the question. At some point, the extra $$$ becomes the driving factor.

Glad to see that he didn't let it get that far and/or that they didn't get that dumb. If it stays with the Angels & us, I like our chances because I don't see them getting stupid and I think the Sox will match or come close to anything reasonable, incuding 5/$60.

Lip Man 1
11-30-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm sure right now the Sox are more concerned about who shot their mouth off about Konerko's hip and how that may play out in the mind of Paul and his agent.

When you are dealing with people you never know how someone is going to react emotionally when something comes out that perhaps is best left unsaid.

Lip

Flight #24
11-30-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm sure right now the Sox are more concerned about who shot their mouth off about Konerko's hip and how that may play out in the mind of Paul and his agent.

When you are dealing with people you never know how someone is going to react emotionally when something comes out that perhaps is best left unsaid.

Lip

It's intersting that there's no quote that a Sox guy mentioned it, more that the O's aren't worried about it and neither are the Sox. The quote was that the Sox guy was pissed it came out, which could read that they're worried Paulie might think they're trying to drive down his value when in fact they are not.

In fact, it seems highly unlike Kenny Williams to try and do that. Even with Magglio, he was asked a direct question and answered it - not like he was out there "leaking" rumors on the knee.

Lip Man 1
11-30-2005, 10:36 AM
Flight:

I'm certainly not accusing Kenny of doing anything just that today the organization is probably trying to find out who may have said what and to whom. Things could be at a delicate stage right now...you don't want anything that could be considered a 'tipping point' by the other side you are trying to negotiate with.

Lip

Paulwny
11-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Flight:

I'm certainly not accusing Kenny of doing anything just that today the organization is probably trying to find out who may have said what and to whom. Things could be at a delicate stage right now...you don't want anything that could be considered a 'tipping point' by the other side you are trying to negotiate with.

Lip

This hip problem has to be common knowledge, it was discussed here in 2003. Our old friend Kermit, (where has he gone to), cited in an article for this site a comment by Lasorda concerning PK's hip.

steff
11-30-2005, 12:13 PM

Lip

This has been baseballs worst kept secret for the past 7 years. We all posted about it back in.. ohhh... 2000.

cwsfannick
11-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Just heard on ESPN 1000 that Konerko will sign with the Sox. Official word from the organization possibly within the next hour.