PDA

View Full Version : Konerko leaning towards the White Sox.

It's Time
11-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Per George Offman on the Score. He has received all the offers and appears to be headed back to Chicago. TIFWIW!

nodiggity59
11-29-2005, 09:26 PM
C'mon PK!

Corlose 15
11-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Per George Offman on the Score. He has received all the offers and appears to be headed back to Chicago. TIFWIW!

Did he say what the Sox offer was?

bobowhite
11-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Thank God (unless you are an atheist.) Thank KW and Thome for a chipping in.

It's Time
11-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Did he say what the Sox offer was?

All in the same boat. Around 50M over 5 years.

Chisox003
11-29-2005, 09:28 PM
I won't believe a word until the ink's dry.

Get 'er done K-dub.....

hsnterprize
11-29-2005, 09:28 PM
Per George Offman on the Score. He has received all the offers and appears to be headed back to Chicago. TIFWIW!Awesome!!! Paulie and Thome knockin' out a few balls at the Cell...it will be a sight to behold towards another World Series Championship.

BTW...what does "TIFWIW" mean?

JermaineDye05
11-29-2005, 09:29 PM
not until i see/hear confirmation will I start praising but this helps a lot in the confidence come on pauly k!!

It's Time
11-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Awesome!!! Paulie and Thome knockin' out a few balls at the Cell...it will be a sight to behold towards another World Series Championship.

BTW...what does "TIFWIW" mean?

Take it for what it's worth.:cool:

Corlose 15
11-29-2005, 09:32 PM
All in the same boat. Around 50M over 5 years.

Is that supposed to be 60M? I can't believe they'd get him for only 10M a year.

It's Time
11-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Is that supposed to be 60M? I can't believe they'd get him for only 10M a year.

My bad. 60M.

Corlose 15
11-29-2005, 09:35 PM
If the Sox resign Paulie I feel real good about their chances to repeat in '06. Still have the great pitching, still have the good defense and have an improved offense. :drool:

JermaineDye05
11-29-2005, 09:41 PM
I just wana know where Offman heard this, did he say?

delben91
11-29-2005, 09:45 PM

Get 'er done K-dub.....

Hear Hear! But after all the Angels, Orioles, etc. talk lately, I'll take what I can get in the interim.

Ventura Fan 23
Like alot of people stated already, I'll celebrate once I hear this officially.

duke of dorwood
Just keep in mind what station is saying that-I'll wait for the press conference

JermaineDye05
11-29-2005, 09:50 PM
remember last year also everyone lets not get too excited, member last year with Vizquel, San Francisco outta nowhere taking him

JohnBasedowYoda
11-29-2005, 09:52 PM
Just keep in mind what station is saying that-I'll wait for the press conference

yeah i really don't take much stock in mike murphy

tebman
11-29-2005, 09:55 PM

http://www.corazones.org/z_imagenes/otros/ouija.jpg

Oh, Paulie...if you can hear my voice...come home...come home...

chisox77
11-29-2005, 10:05 PM
I heard the same thing over the Score, and thought that those offers are not enough to make PK change his baseball address. Unless there is a surprise team out there (you never know), PK will be with the White Sox for the next four seasons, with a possible option. These offers seem to reflect that while Konerko is quite valuable in the open market, he is still worth more to the White Sox. It's the best move for him to return.
:cool:

JermaineDye05
11-29-2005, 10:05 PM
Well I just heard from Offman on the score that Konerko's decision is expected by Friday or earlier and that he's strongly leading towards the Sox, still I'm not gonna be too comfortable until i see the deal official

Fuller_Schettman
11-29-2005, 10:12 PM
The Cubs are expected to jump in with a last minute offer of 64M over 4 years.

http://snl.jt.org/arc/char/JoLo-Tommy%20Flanagan.jpg

"Yeah, that's the ticket!"

JUribe1989
11-29-2005, 10:32 PM
I always remember Offman being way more reliable than Levine or any other radio guys. He was the only one who actually thought all we would get at the deadline was Blum. I wonder if the Thome phone call paid off?

oeo
11-29-2005, 11:05 PM
The Baltimore Sun is reporting that Paulie rejected a 5/65M (:o:) contract offer from the Orioles.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-os30,1,7860864.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true

buehrle4cy05
11-29-2005, 11:07 PM
The Baltimore Sun is reporting that Paulie rejected a 5/65M (:o:) contract offer from the Orioles.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-os30,1,7860864.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true

:)
My faith in him is restored. At least I can know that he wants to play for a winning team. And there is no team in baseball that was more winning than the Sox.

ilsox7
11-29-2005, 11:26 PM
from that article:

"Citing a high-ranking White Sox official, The Sun reported in Tuesday's edition that Konerko has an arthritic hip condition. One Orioles official said the club is aware of the condition, which was apparently diagnosed years ago, but isn't deeply concerned. The White Sox aren't making any official comment on Konerko's hip, but one club official privately told the Chicago Tribune that the team was upset that the information had become public."

***?

Uh, hasn't this been public for YEARS?

Martinigirl
11-29-2005, 11:31 PM
What scares me about the Sun article is that he still went to CA and talked to the Angels. If this was really a done deal, why would he bother? I find it hard to believe it was out of courtesy.

I am far too paranoid about this. I won't believe it until I hear him say he is back at his press conference.

veeter
11-29-2005, 11:31 PM
This looks really good. Hope it's true.

tebman
11-29-2005, 11:36 PM
What scares me about the Sun article is that he still went to CA and talked to the Angels. If this was really a done deal, why would he bother? I find it hard to believe it was out of courtesy.

I am far too paranoid about this. I won't believe it until I hear him say he is back at his press conference.

:welcome: And hey, I'm nervous too!

ilsox7
11-29-2005, 11:39 PM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62559

That thread was made for you.

ChiSoxGirl
11-29-2005, 11:43 PM
C'mon, Paulie! Get 'er done, baby! :smile:

WhiteSox1983
11-29-2005, 11:46 PM
:)
My faith in him is restored. At least I can know that he wants to play for a winning team. And there is no team in baseball that was more winning than the Sox.

Angels are a very winning team, and their division is horrible. The indians and twins will both be tough teams next year. So its basically whose gon shell out all that money. I wouldnt celebrate yet....

Jjav829
11-29-2005, 11:50 PM

Bargaining position. You don't reject all offers and visits while trying to negotiate or you'll find yourself getting a horrible deal. Konerko (or Landis really) only needs one team with deep pockets that he can use to help negotiate with the Sox. If Konerko and Landis have the Sox believing that they consider Anaheim a legitimate option, and the feeling is reciprocated, then they are in great position to negotiate a fair deal with the Sox.

WinOrDyeTrying
11-29-2005, 11:51 PM
Not to thread jack, but who in the rotation is most likely to go?

Martinigirl
11-29-2005, 11:52 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62559

That thread was made for you.

Oh, thank you for leading me there. Who knew I could post on two of my passions here, my World Champion Chicago White Sox, and alcohol? :rolleyes:

ilsox7
11-29-2005, 11:54 PM
Oh, thank you for leading me there. Who knew I could post on two of my passions here, my World Champion Chicago White Sox, and alcohol? :rolleyes:

WSI is open to any and all conversation. Except of course politics and attendance. :D:

KRS1
11-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Angels are a very winning team, and their division is horrible. The indians and twins will both be tough teams next year. So its basically whose gon shell out all that money. I wouldnt celebrate yet....
I hate to say the teams in that div. r horrible when we have had trouble beating the Rangers and the A's. Both of those teams r getting pretty good and the Mariners always try and put a winner on the field(of course to no avail)

JUribe1989
11-29-2005, 11:59 PM

The Twins will absolutely be god awful. They have no offense and they are losing Jacque Jones. They are starting 2 rookie pitchers also. Nathan lost a ton a steam last year also. Sorry to semi-hijack the thread. I just had to say this.

Back to Konerko:
I don't like this just because my hopes are now so high that it would be too awful to have them shot down now. All the offers seem to be around the same money and it is SOOO encouraging that he turned down the O's offer.

KRS1
11-29-2005, 11:59 PM
I hope we can keep the guys we got for at least another year, after that it will be tough beyond their expiring contracts. God willing we can sign Jon long term and with the minors leguers we hope to have up in the next few years not have to worry about payroll for a while.

A. Cavatica
11-30-2005, 12:05 AM

Perhaps the high-ranking Sox official is upset that his attempt to raise doubt about Konerko's health has become public. :whistle:

ilsox7
11-30-2005, 12:07 AM
Perhaps the high-ranking Sox official is upset that his attempt to raise doubt about Konerko's health has become public. :whistle:

Ah yes. Read that way, it makes much more sense. I'll blame it on my head being in the books all week. :smile:

A. Cavatica
11-30-2005, 12:07 AM

Thus making Derrek Lee available in a trade for Damaso.

Huisj
11-30-2005, 12:09 AM

I remember reading about it when he first got traded to the sox for Cameron. It seemed kind of like an "oh, what the heck" deal at the time with both him and Cameron coming off of pathetically disappointing seasons. Most of the hip talk had to do with him not being a catcher anymore like he used to be, and also about him being a slow runner. Didn't he actually even play some LF with the Dodgers or Reds?

ilsox7
11-30-2005, 12:10 AM
Didn't he actually even play some LF with the Dodgers or Reds?

Put PK is center so Thome can play 1st.

Patrick134
11-30-2005, 12:12 AM
As Espn sportscenter was ending, the announcer quickly said that Konerko had turned down 5 years 65 million from the orioles.

IronFisk
11-30-2005, 12:14 AM
Pauly's coming back???

WOOOO HOOO!!!!
:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance: :gulp::gulp::gulp:

shaunburnette
11-30-2005, 12:16 AM
I just heard that half asleep on my couch. Needless to say it woke me up and almost put me on the floor. Seems like something is bound to get done here through the weekend. If that is the case, props to Konerko for giving the teams involved a better picture of what they are working with and where they need to go.

Hendu
11-30-2005, 12:18 AM
While the news sounds encouraging, I'll believe it when I see the press conference.

I'm surprised Paulie turned down the Orioles' offer, instead of using them to drive up the price. Must mean he's close to making a decision.

Chisox003
11-30-2005, 12:19 AM
Put PK is center so Thome can play 1st.
No no, you got it all wrong.

Thome would play center, PK would shift to RF, thus moving Dye to 1B and not wasting his athleticism.

WSI style defense :rolleyes:

KRS1
11-30-2005, 12:21 AM
While the news sounds encouraging, I'll believe it when I see the press conference.

I'm surprised Paulie turned down the Orioles' offer, instead of using them to drive up the price. Must mean he's close to making a decision.

Actually, turning down the offer and making it public could be used for leverage as what some teams will be willing to pay him. I know the Dodgers want him back and with the constant sellouts they can easily afford him. It can be seen either way, but to me it's more of a 'check out what they think I'm worth, let it echo and resonate throughout your ears.'

soxfanreggie
11-30-2005, 12:31 AM
If he's not going to play for us, I see him going to Anaheim. He can be a 1B and see some DH too. The Sox have the perfect situation for him. He and Thome can switch at DH and 1B. Hopefully Thome's conversation was like "I'll buy you a steak for every home run you hit here." Honestly though...even after taxes and agent fees, etc...there's not a huge difference between a $13 or $14 mil per year deal...especially when you can get nice WS bonuses and playoff MVP bonuses. We could even throw in...$250,000 or so for a WS mvp...$150,000 for an ALCS mvp or ALDS mvp.

gowhitesox
11-30-2005, 12:36 AM

Get 'er done K-dub.....

I agree. I will believe it when all the "i's" are dotted and "T's" are crossed and also when the ink is dry!

At least this is a step in the right direction. If this is true, with Konerko and Thome in the same line up, it could lead to World Champion Chicago White Sox part 2.

patbooyah
11-30-2005, 12:41 AM
Honestly though...even after taxes and agent fees, etc...there's not a huge difference between a $13 or $14 mil per year deal...especially when you can get nice WS bonuses and playoff MVP bonuses. We could even throw in...$250,000 or so for a WS mvp...$150,000 for an ALCS mvp or ALDS mvp.

if PK goes to anaheim he will not be the biggest star on the team. he is a made man in chicago with all the endorsement and personal appearance money he could get.

RowanDye
11-30-2005, 12:43 AM
Konerko's high school coach says "All things being equal, or close to equal, I know that he would prefer to stay in Chicago."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051128mitchell,1,2236570.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility

MUsoxfan
11-30-2005, 12:51 AM
Looks like my "inside source" was correct:nod:

SkeetSkeetAmit
11-30-2005, 01:10 AM
So did the SOX officially make a 5 year-60 Mil offer or is it still the 4 year-50 Mil deal?

Cuz if it's the 5 year deal, I can see him back with the good guys.

bobwsx
11-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by kjkobs
from that article:

"Citing a high-ranking White Sox official, The Sun reported in Tuesday's edition that Konerko has an arthritic hip condition. One Orioles official said the club is aware of the condition, which was apparently diagnosed years ago, but isn't deeply concerned. The White Sox aren't making any official comment on Konerko's hip, but one club official privately told the Chicago Tribune that the team was upset that the information had become public."

***? :whistle: hahahahaha You don't have to delete your post.Even you can be wrong once in awhile.

nccwsfan
11-30-2005, 08:26 AM
Hearing that he's turned down the O's offer is encouraging, but until the dotted line is signed we can't get too juiced up about this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed in the meantime...

itsnotrequired
11-30-2005, 08:34 AM
if PK goes to anaheim he will not be the biggest star on the team. he is a made man in chicago with all the endorsement and personal appearance money he could get.

Agreed. I'm sure Paulie is well aware of this. Well, at least his agent should be.

johnny_mostil
11-30-2005, 08:38 AM

That depends on what happens to Konerko!

If Konerko returns, my gut feeling is El Duque, but not for a while. The central organizing principle is starting pitching, and KW has managed to avoid touching the rotation for a while.

If Konerko leaves, there will be a chain reaction that probably means all of them stay, because the White Sox will sign several lower-tier guys to play off for the Carl Everett role and will be structurally unable to carry 12 pitchers; this would mean El Duque/McCarthy as swingmen... just a hunch.

SouthSoxFan
11-30-2005, 08:38 AM
At some point, the Angels are going to make this come down to a money decision. Unless, of course, they are just doing this for show to apease their fans. But if they really want him, they can't just sell him on California, and they certainly are in no better position to win than we are. They're going to have to outbid the Sox with an offer at 5/65 perhaps with incentive potential to 70. Then we'll see what's important to PK.

rocky biddle
11-30-2005, 08:46 AM
Jayson Stark had some nice comments on Mike and Mike this morning. He said he sees Paulie coming back. He said if the money's close there's no way he leaves. He cited a lot of the reasons that have been brought up on this board to support his answer (popularity in the city, etc.). He also said he's from Philly and Jim Thome has a lot of productivity left in him. Greeny asked if he could hit 45 homers in Comiskey and Stark said he thinks so, going so far as to say "Jim Thome is capable of having a humongous year in that park, humongous." He also said he didn't see Frank coming back.

Take that as you will. I usually don't put a lot of stock in these predictions, unless it's something I want to hear.

Deuce
11-30-2005, 08:58 AM
You know, I'm beginning to think that Paulie really doesn't care if he comes back to the Sox or not. More importantly, I don't think I care either. If he signs, that's great. If he doesn't, we'll push for another big bat and resign Frank Thomas (something that will almost certainly not happen if Paulie comes back).

Deuce

jdm2662
11-30-2005, 09:06 AM
I won't believe anything until the contract is signed. Turning down the O's offer says there are more factors than money. I want him back, but I won't get upset or teary eyed if he signs elsewhere. I don't think he's worth the contract he's going to get. However, more power to him to whatever amount he gets.

Frater Perdurabo
11-30-2005, 09:08 AM
You know, I'm beginning to think that Paulie really doesn't care if he comes back to the Sox or not. More importantly, I don't think I care either. If he signs, that's great. If he doesn't, we'll push for another big bat and resign Frank Thomas (something that will almost certainly not happen if Paulie comes back).

Deuce

Yep. A win-win either way.
:supernana:

MsSoxVixen22
11-30-2005, 09:15 AM
As soon as it's official, I'll do a happy dance. I hope PK makes the right decision!

MrRoboto83
11-30-2005, 10:01 AM

http://snl.jt.org/arc/char/JoLo-Tommy%20Flanagan.jpg

"Yeah, that's the ticket!"

They need a backup for D Lee:redneck

voodoochile
11-30-2005, 10:18 AM
If they are all similar offers and the Sox are willing to go to 5 years, then he would be an idiot to go elsewhere. He is not going to get the endorsement money in another city that he will get here.

Can you imagine him doing a commercial in LA? No freaking way...

In Chicago his endorsement money should easily surpass $1M/year. He is a known face and is coming off of an MVP caliber performance both regular and post season. He'll be doing McD's ads before you know it...

Frater Perdurabo
11-30-2005, 10:19 AM
He'll be doing McD's ads before you know it...

Just what we need: Our first-baseman getting fat off the Big Macs and Quarter Pounders....
:D:

bobowhite
11-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Jayson Stark had some nice comments on Mike and Mike this morning. He said he sees Paulie coming back. He said if the money's close there's no way he leaves. He cited a lot of the reasons that have been brought up on this board to support his answer (popularity in the city, etc.). He also said he's from Philly and Jim Thome has a lot of productivity left in him. Greeny asked if he could hit 45 homers in Comiskey and Stark said he thinks so, going so far as to say "Jim Thome is capable of having a humongous year in that park, humongous." He also said he didn't see Frank coming back.

Take that as you will. I usually don't put a lot of stock in these predictions, unless it's something I want to hear.

I don't see Thome hitting a single home run this year in Comiskey and I'll put good money down on that.

I think if PK signs with the Sox then Frank is gone.

TheOldRoman
11-30-2005, 10:25 AM
I don't see Thome hitting a single home run this year in Comiskey and I'll put good money down on that.

Yeah, but he might hit 35 or so in US Cellular.:cool:

Crede_Fan

Why?:?:

ilsox7

I think if PK signs with the Sox then Frank is gone.

I wish WSI were a sports book b/c I'd take you up on the "No homers for Thome" bet for large sums of money.

TheOldRoman
11-30-2005, 10:27 AM
I wish WSI were a sports book b/c I'd take you up on the "No homers for Thome" bet for large sums of money.
See my post above. Comiskey does not exist anymore.

Kuzman
11-30-2005, 10:28 AM

how much do you want to put down?

Frater Perdurabo
11-30-2005, 10:29 AM

Zing.....
:D:

ilsox7
11-30-2005, 10:29 AM
See my post above. Comiskey does not exist anymore.

Sheesh, talk about a matter of semantics.

voodoochile
11-30-2005, 10:30 AM

You are about to get taken to the cleaners, Kuzman, be very very careful...:rolleyes:

TheOldRoman
11-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Sheesh, talk about a matter of semantics.
Hey, I stared at his post for like 15 seconds in sheer disbelief before I caught on. I don't know why people can't look at the beautiful park created with the naming rights money and accept that the Sox will never again play in Comiskey Park, but that's just me. I don't mind the name.

ilsox7
11-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Hey, I stared at his post for like 15 seconds in sheer disbelief before I caught on. I don't know why people can't look at the beautiful park created with the naming rights money and accept that the Sox will never again play in Comiskey Park, but that's just me. I don't mind the name.

Yea I'm in CrimLaw so not totally focused on my postins. :cool:

bobowhite
11-30-2005, 10:39 AM

Point taken. If he hits 35 at USCF I for one will be thrilled. That'd probably mean the first 50 home run season in White Sox history. ((I mean 50 for us, I think Britt Burns gave up 50 one year.))

bobowhite
11-30-2005, 10:40 AM

Think twice, bet once.

kevingrt
11-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Allehuniah... or however you spell it. We need PAULIE

chisox
11-30-2005, 11:12 AM
man, oldroman, you don't give anyone a break. :o: :cool:

Lip Man 1
11-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Old Roman:

Sorry but I refuse to call any stadium by its corporate name and I felt the same when when I was doing the sports on TV in three markets.

Now when U.S. Cellular, or Cynergy or Minute Maid start paying me to give out free endorsements of their company by saying their names during highlights then I'll be happy too.

Lip

Chicken Dinner
11-30-2005, 11:21 AM

Deuce
I'm actually starting to lean this way also. The last thing the Sox need is a contract hanging over thier heads with someone who has been known to have marginal years. If it's all about money, then oh well. We don't need an anchor contract that will effect this club for a half a decade. It's very scarey.

bobowhite
11-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Old Roman:

Sorry but I refuse to call any stadium by its corporate name and I felt the same when when I was doing the sports on TV in three markets.

Now when U.S. Cellular, or Cynergy or Minute Maid start paying me to give out free endorsements of their company by saying their names during highlights then I'll be happy too.

Lip

Lip,
I think it's a different era. Personally, I hate getting bombarded with all the advertising that goes with all the corporate names. On the other hand, many of the old names were just power trips for the owners (Comiskey, Wrigley and Turner come to mind) and I'd never have supported that either. I do believe the era of too many Municipal Stadiums is gone with good riddance. I don't think we can have enough Veterans Fields, War Memorial Stadiums or Soldier Fields however.

In the meantime two thoughts. USCF is named as it is, I will call it that. Second, it could be worse, would you attend a game at Reinsdorf Park?

Ol' No. 2
11-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Old Roman:

LipI felt much the same way when they first sold the naming rights. But the money paid for extensive remodelling, which made a HUGE difference in how the place looks and feels. They wouldn't have that if not for the $60M from the naming rights, so I guess I'm OK with it now.

TDog
11-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Old Roman:

Lip

Me too. I still refer to that North Side stadium as Weeghman Park.

rocky biddle
11-30-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to make an anti-US Cellular or "I still call it Comiskey" statement. On the show they kept referring to US Cellular Field as "that park." I didn't mean to offend anyone. At least I didn't call it "The Joan."

zmz723
11-30-2005, 03:03 PM
i think this thread is irrelevant now :D: