PDA

View Full Version : Angels make Konerko offer per ESPN 1000

whitesoxfan1986
11-29-2005, 02:51 PM
5 yrs./60 million. Will the Angels, Dodgers and Red Sox get in a bidding war for him? I don't know. I think we may be saying goodbye to Paulie. What would you do if you were KW?

Fenway
11-29-2005, 02:53 PM
and it appears Baltimore as well
O's in Konerko hunt

Offering $50M-plus, O's vie with White Sox, Angels
By Jeff Zrebiec and Dan Connolly
Sun reporters
Originally published November 29, 2005
The Orioles are said to be one of only three teams still in the bidding for Chicago White Sox slugger Paul Konerko, one of the jewels of baseball's free-agent market.

According to industry sources, the Orioles extended a four-year, $50 million offer to the Chicago first baseman about two weeks ago. Craig Landis, Konerko's agent, did not make a counterproposal, but the Orioles, seeking a first baseman and a bat to put in the middle of their lineup, are expected to make another offer this week, probably for five years and possibly worth around $60 million.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.konerko29nov29,1,4155528.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true

MHOUSE
11-29-2005, 02:55 PM
I read on MLB.com that it's down to the Angels, Os, and us. It seems that we're still the front-runners from how the article was written, but both the other teams have put in significant offers 4-5 years $50-60 million. If we offer around 5 years $60 million and get outbid, then it's strictly for the money. Please come back Paul!

BeviBall!
11-29-2005, 02:56 PM
I think we're looking at Nomar and Thome at 1B next year. It's the magical 5 year plateau that JR refuses to climb. Will he do so after winning a ring? We'll have to wait and see.

ChiSoxJay
11-29-2005, 03:02 PM
What was our official offer? 4 years 52 million?

skottyj242
11-29-2005, 03:03 PM
I think we're looking at Nomar and Thome at 1B next year. It's the magical 5 year plateau that JR refuses to climb. Will he do so after winning a ring? We'll have to wait and see.

I've noticed a couple of Nomar threads around here today, where is this all coming from? Are there any credible sources?

The Deacon
What was our official offer? 4 years 52 million?

If memory serves me correctly, it was 4/48million right before our exclusive window closed..

DMarte708
I'd prepare myself for disappoint if anyone here continues to hold out hope Konerko will continue wearing black and grey through 2010.

Have the White Sox EVER won a bidding war for ANY player based on a contract? Sure--they've outbid for certain players using prospects in trade negotiations, but never outbid other teams relating to money. Atleast within the Williams regime. If Konerko is planning on returning to Chicago, we better hope he takes less money because of the oft mentioned, rarely implimented, "home town discount,"

Chisox003
11-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Have the White Sox EVER won a bidding war for ANY player based on a contract? Sure--they've outbid for certain players using prospects in trade negotiations, but never outbid other teams relating to money. Atleast within the Williams regime this is an absolute certainty. If Konerko is planning on returning to Chicago, we better hope he takes less money because of the oft mentioned, rarely implimented, "home town discount,"
If PK truly wants to be a member of the White Sox in 2006 and beyond, he will be. It's all up to him at this point.

Make the right call Walnuts....

CPditka
11-29-2005, 03:08 PM
5 yrs./60 million. Will the Angels, Dodgers and Red Sox get in a bidding war for him? I don't know. I think we may be saying goodbye to Paulie. What would you do if you were KW?

Here is what Rotoworld has to say.

The Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels have bumped their initial four-year offer to Paul Konerko to five years and about $60 million.
Konerko will visit the Angels later this week. The Times also says the Orioles are currently at $50 million over four years but are willing to add a fifth year. Considering that Konerko would prefer the West Coast if he leaves Chicago and the Angels are more of a contender than the Orioles, Baltimore would have to outbid the competition by a significant margin to have any chance of landing Konerko

JohnBasedowYoda
11-29-2005, 03:11 PM

Nomar? Are we seriously looking at that guy? If so I don't think I can take having two players with recent injury-plagued seasons.

I hope JR makes the right call.

Nice sig by the way

CPditka
11-29-2005, 03:22 PM

Lets see baltimore offered 4 years around 50 mil, reportedly the same as us. The angels have offered 5 years 60 mil. The mets got their guy delgado, the Dbacks have tracy, the red sox are reportdely after Overbay. Maybe the dodgers are interested maybe not. The point is the market offer is 5 years 60 mil and the sox match that or come close to matching that there is no reason contract wise Paul should not come back. Now if there are other circumstances in which he would want to be an angel thats his and his families decision, but if the Sox are right there with the contract he should come back to where he is loved.

The Deacon
11-29-2005, 03:25 PM
Now if there are other circumstances in which he would want to be an angel thats his and his families decision, but if the Sox are right there with the contract he should come back to where he is loved.

This is what scares me the most. He will have identical contracts but choose LAA over us for family reasons. I'm scared. :o:

MUsoxfan
11-29-2005, 03:35 PM
This is what scares me the most. He will have identical contracts but choose LAA over us for family reasons. I'm scared. :o:

Not to sound like ChiSoxTony here, but I heard from someone I consider to be a reliable source that Konerko will sign with the Sox for less. I don't know how much less, but less. I'll take it for what it is, but this guy heard it straight from the mouth of PK himself

Kilroy
11-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Let's not forget the reason Thome was brought here. Sure, they said it was to have him hitting behind PK to make a more lethal 3-4 in the lineup, but the real reason is so that the Sox aren't left high and dry when PK walks.

I don't blame them one bit for not wanting to be in a bidding war. If the price for Paulie is 5 years 15 mil/ per, I say let someone else pay him.

Captian Ron
11-29-2005, 03:44 PM
I say "Don't let the door hit you in the ass Paulie!":smile:

bludupree
11-29-2005, 03:45 PM
I would never give him 5 years 15 per year, but I think we should definitely match 5 years, 12 per year. 5 Years is a lot but it's not like he's in his late 30's. I think he will be at least a solid player in 5 years.

kobo
11-29-2005, 03:57 PM
Offering him 4 years at $12 million a year with an option for a 5th year at $12-13 million is what the Sox should do. At least I hope that is the offer they propose to Paulie.

CPditka
11-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Offering him 4 years at $12 million a year with an option for a 5th year at $12-13 million is what the Sox should do. At least I hope that is the offer they propose to Paulie.

I could see us starting at 4 years 52 mil (12.5 mil per year) and then possibly having unique escalators or triggers in the contract to bring about a 5th year at 12.5-13.5 mil. I could see a minimal AB trigger in his 4th year, possible player option with a team option on the back end for the 5th year, something unique. Maybe something like what Maddux got from the cubs.

Fenway
11-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Look NOTHING is going to happen until the Dallas meetings. You have to think Paul's people are waiting to see what Boston does with Manny.

MarySwiss
11-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Look NOTHING is going to happen until the Dallas meetings. You have to think Paul's people are waiting to see what Boston does with Manny.

(Sigh!) Fenway, you seem like a decent, likeable guy, but you have to realize that not everything that happens in this world depends on what Boston--or Manny--does. :rolleyes:

Fenway
11-29-2005, 04:31 PM
(Sigh!) Fenway, you seem like a decent, likeable guy, but you have to realize that not everything that happens in this world depends on what Boston--or Manny--does. :rolleyes:

except that Boston brings more chips to the table.

Flight #24
11-29-2005, 04:32 PM

While generally true, in this case, with the Angels being a prime possibility for Manny and the Red Sox being a top spender, it's quite likely that Paulie at least waits to see what the Red Sox can do, what the Angels have to put around him
(Vlad-Anderson-Manny-Konerko? :o: :cower: ), and if the Red Sox will come with a $14 or 15M/yr offer having dealt Manny away.

Chicken Dinner
11-29-2005, 04:32 PM
How about 10 million a year for 5 years and a million bucks for every stolen base???

gobears1987
11-29-2005, 04:34 PM
How about 10 million a year for 5 years and a million bucks for every stolen base???ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That contract would be detrimental. Everytime he got a single, he'd be caught stealing.

DaleJRFan
11-29-2005, 04:41 PM
Not to sound like ChiSoxTony here, but I heard from someone I consider to be a reliable source that Konerko will sign with the Sox for less. I don't know how much less, but less. I'll take it for what it is, but this guy heard it straight from the mouth of PK himself

Yea, my friend works at the same convenient store where PK stops for his morning coffee and heard PK say the same thing into his cell phone.

PK is coming back, its all posturing for a few extra $$$. Rest assured, he'll return to the Sox.

But, lots of peeps keep saying "PK is a hero here, why would he sign anywhere else?" What if PK signs for 15m with the SOX and has another 2003 season? We would all quickly forget how great he was in the post season. He wouldn't be a hero for long if he isn't producing like he did in 04/05.

jerry myers
11-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Its kinda sad its taken so long. i understand he wants to see whats out their. but if he really likes the sox, your already rich.

ChiSoxPatF
11-29-2005, 05:01 PM
I can't remember where I heard it but I thought it was reported that Paulie has no interest in Boston and was only going to use them to leverage a better contract from the Sox. If thats true, then our real competition is Anaheim and time.

Paulie will be in for a big let down if he's wearing LA-Anaheim-San Bernardino-Palm Springs-Malibu Red next year. He's notorious for that stretch that he can't hit and no team save the Sox are going to have a fanbase that will tolerate this with a 5-$60 contract under their belts.

kittle42
11-29-2005, 05:06 PM
Its kinda sad its taken so long. i understand he wants to see whats out their. but if he really likes the sox, your already rich.

I don't know where to begin. :smile:

NorthSideSox72
11-29-2005, 05:08 PM
I'd prepare myself for disappoint if anyone here continues to hold out hope Konerko will continue wearing black and grey through 2010.

Have the White Sox EVER won a bidding war for ANY player based on a contract? Sure--they've outbid for certain players using prospects in trade negotiations, but never outbid other teams relating to money. Atleast within the Williams regime. If Konerko is planning on returning to Chicago, we better hope he takes less money because of the oft mentioned, rarely implimented, "home town discount,"

When have the White Sox EVER won a World Series? :tongue:

Seriously, this is all media B.S. The only people that matter are KW, PK and Craig Landis. So far, KW has said repeatedly he feels PK is likely to be back, and he wouldn't say that unless it were pretty darn likely (because he wouldn't want to look like a fool later). And PK hinted numerous times that he wants to return.

Therefore, I am still leaning towards the more believable sources - he's probably going to stay.
:bandance:

Now, if he gets an offer from another team that is outlandishly higher than us (5+ @ 15+ per), then, maybe we start worrying. But that is just not likely.

IronFisk
11-29-2005, 05:17 PM
But, lots of peeps keep saying "PK is a hero here, why would he sign anywhere else?" What if PK signs for 15m with the SOX and has another 2003 season? We would all quickly forget how great he was in the post season. He wouldn't be a hero for long if he isn't producing like he did in 04/05.

PEEP! I firmly agree with you however - he would be a hero, but if a money war ensues, it could do some damage to his rep. I will echo the sentiment of others here - if he does ask for 4 or 5 at $15 per, SEE YA! Had this same concern with Magg$ last year - remember him? :redneck

ssviland
11-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Let's not forget the reason Thome was brought here. Sure, they said it was to have him hitting behind PK to make a more lethal 3-4 in the lineup, but the real reason is so that the Sox aren't left high and dry when PK walks.

I don't blame them one bit for not wanting to be in a bidding war. If the price for Paulie is 5 years 15 mil/ per, I say let someone else pay him.

Agreed. He is a notch below the elite players, but may command elite money. I hope he's back, but not at that price. If it's $70/5 or more, he's gone.

ViPeRx007
11-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Like everybody is saying: it all depends on Konerko at this point.

Here's hoping Thome's a good Negotiator.. :gulp:

MsSoxVixen22
11-29-2005, 05:48 PM
If he gets greedy....I say HE GONE! PK has never really been consistant. I'd hate to see us sign PK and then in '06 his hitting goes in the crapper. :(: KW knows what he's doing. Hopefully, Walnuts is smart and decides to stay with a WINNING team and with fans and players that like him. On the other hand, I won't be the LEAST bit surprised if he signs with the Halos. Worst comes to worst its Dye or someone else at first and I sure as hell don't wanna see Nomar in a Sox uni! :mad:

delben91
11-29-2005, 06:15 PM
I don't know where to begin. :smile:

Haha! Glorious. :D:

longshot7
11-29-2005, 06:17 PM
If he gets greedy....I say HE GONE! PK has never really been consistant. I'd hate to see us sign PK and then in '06 his hitting goes in the crapper. :(: KW knows what he's doing. Hopefully, Walnuts is smart and decides to stay with a WINNING team and with fans and players that like him. On the other hand, I won't be the LEAST bit surprised if he signs with the Halos. Worst comes to worst its Dye or someone else at first and I sure as hell don't wanna see Nomar in a Sox uni! :mad:

But the main point is this - what's greedy? If a team wants to pay him x dollars over x years, what's wrong with him choosing that team over another? I would. Wouldn't everybody?

ChiSoxLifer
11-29-2005, 06:27 PM
I understand Paulie trying to get as much money as he can whether for personal reasons or even if the union is just trying to get him to hold out for more money. He deserves all the money he can get. I'm just looking at this from a fan's perspective. Let's say he gets his 60 mil/ 5 years and stays with the White Sox. That just means somewhere down the road we're going to have to get rid of someone integral to the team to stay within budget. Part of the reason I enjoyed this year so much is the White Sox truly are a team without superstars. I guess this is just the price of success which still beats the cost of failure.

MUsoxfan
11-29-2005, 06:28 PM
But the main point is this - what's greedy? If a team wants to pay him x dollars over x years, what's wrong with him choosing that team over another? I would. Wouldn't everybody?

No. I have a sense of loyalty. Seriously, once numbers get that high, a few million dollars over a number of years is insignificant. Unless you have Latrell Spreewell's family, all these figures thrown around are more than sufficient

Ol' No. 2
11-29-2005, 06:38 PM
No. I have a sense of loyalty. Seriously, once numbers get that high, a few million dollars over a number of years is insignificant. Unless you have Latrell Spreewell's family, all these figures thrown around are more than sufficientLoyalty cuts both ways. He was dangled in more than one trade negotiation last winter. They could have signed him to an extension last winter but chose not to, anticipating that they might want to cut him loose.

TomBradley72
11-29-2005, 07:29 PM
Loyalty cuts both ways. He was dangled in more than one trade negotiation last winter. They could have signed him to an extension last winter but chose not to, anticipating that they might want to cut him loose.

Great point....by not resigning him in spring training...KW hung him out to dry...what if he blew out his knee in Game 4 of the WS? He'd be screwed...and his family would have lost millions of dollars.

HITMEN OF 77
11-29-2005, 07:51 PM
except that Boston brings more chips to the table.

Boston may have the chips, but we have the ring :D:

Frank the Tank
11-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Great point....by not resigning him in spring training...KW hung him out to dry...what if he blew out his knee in Game 4 of the WS? He'd be screwed...and his family would have lost millions of dollars.

Why????

He plays a rather "unathletic" position and is not a stolen base threat. A bum knee would take nothing away from what he brings to the table.

veeter
11-29-2005, 08:32 PM
Loyalty cuts both ways. He was dangled in more than one trade negotiation last winter. They could have signed him to an extension last winter but chose not to, anticipating that they might want to cut him loose. The Sox gave Paul his first real shot. The Sox awarded him his FIRST big contract, with the extention signed after the 2002 season. And Paul gladly cashed every check, when he sucked in 2003. That contract made him beyond rich. So if they dangled him, they dangled him, too bad. Present time shows a world champ, married to a great team. A team/organization that deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Red Barchetta
11-29-2005, 09:04 PM
This is a tough call. One one hand (literally) Paulie has the ultimate prize, a World Series Ring and could sign with the highest bidder to secure the financial security of his newly expanded family.

On the other hand, Paulie is a Chicago fan favorite and if he signs for less to stay with the SOX his popularity will increase and perhaps additional local endorsements will come in to help offset his salary (Just in case this pro baseball thing doesn't work out) :D:

Either way, it seemed Paulie turned the corner this year in terms of consistency. He looked very comfortable at the plate the last month of the year.

lths06
11-29-2005, 09:22 PM
and could sign with the highest bidder to secure the financial security of his newly expanded family.

I think what the Sox are offering him would do a pretty good job of securing his family's financial security. :redneck

GoSox2K3
11-29-2005, 09:36 PM
This is a tough call. One one hand (literally) Paulie has the ultimate prize, a World Series Ring and could sign with the highest bidder to secure the financial security of his newly expanded family.

On the other hand, Paulie is a Chicago fan favorite and if he signs for less to stay with the SOX his popularity will increase and perhaps additional local endorsements will come in to help offset his salary (Just in case this pro baseball thing doesn't work out) :D:

Either way, it seemed Paulie turned the corner this year in terms of consistency. He looked very comfortable at the plate the last month of the year.

PK is certainly entitled to sign with the highest bidder, but I wish people would stop saying this. Konerko's family will be financially secure for life no matter who he signs with. Do people really believe that if PK took $12million per year instead of $13mil/year that his family's financial security would be in jeopardy?

CallMeNuts
11-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Loyalty cuts both ways. He was dangled in more than one trade negotiation last winter. They could have signed him to an extension last winter but chose not to, anticipating that they might want to cut him loose.

1) In general, does a player perform better in his Free Agent year?
1a) Did Paulie have a better year in 2005 because he was motivated to cash in as a Free Agent?

2) In general, does a player's performance decline during the course of a long term contract? Are injuries more likely due to a combination of aging, and the player feeling less motivated to stay in top condition.
2a) Will Paulie have the same fire once he has over $50 million guaranteed?

When we talk about a generic ballplayer, it seems easy to assume that his performace was highly affected by his contract status. That he had a great year in his walk year. And that his motivation and performance sufferred when he became a mega-millionaire.

When it's a player we like, we always want to believe that the cash has nothing to do with it. We would like to believe his year would have been just as good regardless of his contract status. We would like to believe his performance will always be the same regardless of how comfortable he becomes in the future. We'd like to believe he will be just as hungry for the 2nd and 3rd ring as it was for the first. How realistic is this view?

BTW: I'd like to see us re-sign Paulie. If we've already decided he's worth 52 for 4 years, I see no reason not to add a 5th year for another 8, to bring it 60 for 5 years. With the 5 year deal, they could potentially get away with backloading the deal a little more. But given the risks associated with making Paulie comfortable for the rest of his life, I fear that my opinion is more sentimental than rational.