PDA

View Full Version : White Sox on Manny's wish list

Fenway
11-29-2005, 11:19 AM
Manny's agent was on WEEI and he listed the teams that Manny is most interested in being traded to

Marlins
Devil Rays
Indians
Twins
White Sox
Cubs
Mariners
Angels

Notice the Mets not on that list.

Agent said Manny loves Chicago and that he takes the subway to the park and gives homeless people tickets at the stadium.

Meanwhile the Red Sox are letting it be known they don't have the stomach to eat much of the contract for him to play somewhere else and the big rumor here is they are talking to Seattle about Manny even up for Ichiro ( that would solve the leadoff problem with Damon )

Now if you are KW, do you try to stop Manny from going back to the AL Central?

The agent also said Manny wants the players association let him change his contract so it is worth less money citing family security and they will sue if need be.

He is selling his home in Boston according to the Tuesday Globe

Picked-up pieces while submitting a sealed bid on Manny's $6.9 million, 4,500-square-foot condo on the 37th floor of the Ritz-Carlton Towers . . .
Manny Ramírez's pad will be the site of at least one radio remote today as a realty company attempts to unload the slugger's posh digs at the Ritz. According to a press release put out by Big Fish Communications, ''Radio interviews will be held on a first-come, first-serve basis and by advance booking only . . . tours can be scheduled in advance with the on-site media contact." Try to remember that this is the home of the man who doesn't like Boston because his privacy is invaded, the same man who allowed the Sunday Globe Magazine to photograph his family and his son's Fenway-themed bedroom.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2005/07/17/home_run/

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2005/07/13/1121281885_3742.jpg
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2005/07/13/1121281885_9307.jpg

oh and Shaugnessy had to include this White Sox shot this morning

No team won eight straight postseason games until the 2004 Red Sox did it after falling behind the Yankees, 3-0, in the 19-8 game. A year later, the White Sox repeated the feat, winning eight straight after losing the first game of the ALCS. And to think it all started when a guy ran to first base on what should have been an inning-ending strikeout.

He Who Must Not Be Named going to the Dodgers? Simply too good to be true.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/11/29/leftovers_on_menu_today/?page=full

Uncle_Patrick
11-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Manny's agent was on WEEI and he listed the teams that Manny is most interested in being traded to

Marlins
Devil Rays
Indians
Twins
White Sox
Cubs
Mariners
Angels

Notice the Mets not on that list.

The Devil Rays? :o:

nccwsfan
11-29-2005, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't want him at all- he would simply be a bad fit in a good clubhouse. JMO put please pass on this KW...

What will happen if no one is willing to trade for Manny, or is willing to meet part-way with Boston? Will he hold out? Doesn't seem like Manny really holds the cards on this one- what's your opinion on this fenway?

Ol' No. 2
11-29-2005, 11:28 AM
But Manny is not on Kenny's wish list. I predict that Manny will be in a Red Sox uniform next season. They're just not going to get anyone to take on that contract and have to deal with Manny's ****.

Fenway
11-29-2005, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't want him at all- he would simply be a bad fit in a good clubhouse. JMO put please pass on this KW...

What will happen if no one is willing to trade for Manny, or is willing to meet part-way with Boston? Will he hold out? Doesn't seem like Manny really holds the cards on this one- what's your opinion on this fenway?

Manny says he won't report to spring training

For all his brain farts, Manny maybe the best pure power hitter since DiMaggio, the numbers he has put up speak for themselves. The Red Sox problem is by trading Manny you lose the protection he gives Ortiz and Papi gives Manny. Those 2 together put up numbers not seen in the AL since Ruth and Gehrig.

Now the Red Sox had said they didn't want to expose younger players in the system to Manny's attitude but the player they were most concerned about they just traded to the Marlins.

I think the only deal that makes sense for Boston is Ichiro because even if they have to eat some of the salary, the income they can make from Japan would offset it. But then they would have to make a high bid for Paulie to protect Ortiz.

These meetings in Dallas will not be dull

Fenway
11-29-2005, 11:36 AM

no income tax in Florida and he loves hitting in that dome.

Over By There
11-29-2005, 11:44 AM
The Marlins are a perfect fit for his big salary!

MUsoxfan
11-29-2005, 11:44 AM
no income tax in Florida and he loves hitting in that dome.

Just shows that his last concern is winning

DumpJerry
11-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Guys, it is clear that Manny is jealous of all the attention T.O. got without realizing that T.O. is probably done playing in the NFL. This is right out of the T.O./Drew Rosenhaus playbook.

Hey Manny-join Sammy in Japan!

SOecks
11-29-2005, 11:55 AM
I actually hope he goes to Cleveland. That will eat up a ton of their salary and allow for him to spread his clubhouse cancer over to the Tribe next year while we own the Central. I have NO INTEREST in him and know KW won't either. Funny because a couple of years ago I think most of us would be DYING to trade for Manny, make a big splash, get some headlines, etc. It's great that now we can just say NO on this turd.

Dan Mega
11-29-2005, 12:03 PM
I'd like to see Manny in Kansas City- so he could fall off the face of the planet

Randar68
11-29-2005, 12:04 PM
I have someone on my wish list too... not that it matters...

:messica

Hangar18
11-29-2005, 12:04 PM
But Manny is not on Kenny's wish list. I predict that Manny will be in a Red Sox uniform next season. They're just not going to get anyone to take on that contract and have to deal with Manny's ****.

Look for the CUBS to make the biggest splash of all, and now acquire Manny.
The Chicago Media will love him immediately ...... and we'll be 2nd class citizens again.

spiffie
11-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Agent said Manny loves Chicago and that he takes the subway to the park and gives homeless people tickets at the stadium.

:woo-woo
WOO! Thanks for the tickets WOO! Manny WOO! Ramierez WOO!

Ol' No. 2
11-29-2005, 12:08 PM
The Chicago Media will love him immediately ...... and we'll be 2nd class citizens again.Time to change the tinfoil again Hangar.

Fenway
11-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Guys, it is clear that Manny is jealous of all the attention T.O. got without realizing that T.O. is probably done playing in the NFL. This is right out of the T.O./Drew Rosenhaus playbook.

Hey Manny-join Sammy in Japan!

This all started when Manny got a slice of pizza at a mall in Anaheim and was left alone. Earth to Manny, Garrett Anderson could do the same thing at CambridgeSide

I'll say this about Manny he stays off the radar when he is not playing. NOBODY knew he had a son until he invited the Globe into his condo.

I'm sure living in a fishbowl is hard but he could easily move away from a downtown hotel to parts of Brookline or Newton that put Glencoe to shame.

Meanwhile the players association has to be nervous if he threatens to sue about reducing his contract. A-Rod was rebuffed when he tried but never took it to court.

Flight #24
11-29-2005, 12:20 PM
I actually hope he goes to Cleveland. That will eat up a ton of their salary and allow for him to spread his clubhouse cancer over to the Tribe next year while we own the Central. I have NO INTEREST in him and know KW won't either. Funny because a couple of years ago I think most of us would be DYING to trade for Manny, make a big splash, get some headlines, etc. It's great that now we can just say NO on this turd.

Wow, just wow. You'd think that Manny was eating his teammate's children rather than simply just not hustling or taking occasionaly days off without warning. Yet despite all that, he's still arguably the most potent offensive force in the game and plays 150+ while making the guys around him in the lineup dramatically better.

It's ludicrous to think that Manny does anything but make your team significantly better. The only downside is if his salary makes you get rid of other players, but that's the ONLY one.

Palehose13
11-29-2005, 12:24 PM

Subway? Yeah, this story seems credible.

Fenway
11-29-2005, 12:25 PM
The numbers Manny could put up in the Cell are staggering. He hits a lot of line drives at Fenway that hit the wall but would be 20 rows up in Chicago.

Boston's headache is if Manny unhappy we will see his grandmother die at least 8 times during the season along with numerous hamstring problems.

NardiWasHere
11-29-2005, 12:25 PM
I actually hope he goes to Cleveland. That will eat up a ton of their salary and allow for him to spread his clubhouse cancer over to the Tribe next year while we own the Central.

:?:
You hope that one of the best hitters in recent years goes to our biggest division threat???? HA! dude... wheres the teal?

Manny isn't a clubhouse cancer. Call him goofy. Call him stupid. Hell, call him lazy. But from what I've seen he is not disliked by any of his teamates.

Give me his production anyday. And please never say you'd like Clev. to replace someone like CASEY BLAKE with an allstar.

Fenway
11-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Subway? Yeah, this story seems credible.

You be amazed how many visiting players get on the Red Line at the Chicago stop and go to 35th St.

In June several of the Red Sox took the CTA to Wrigley

Baby Fisk
11-29-2005, 12:31 PM
:?:
You hope that one of the best hitters in recent years goes to our biggest division threat???? HA! dude... wheres the teal?

Manny isn't a clubhouse cancer. Call him goofy. Call him stupid. Hell, call him lazy. But from what I've seen he is not disliked by any of his teamates.

Give me his production anyday. And please never say you'd like Clev. to replace someone like CASEY BLAKE with an allstar.
He may not be a cancer, in the classic "Pierzynski" sense of the word, but he's a disruptive force. Me me me, it's all about Manny and Manny's problems and Manny's hardships bla bla blah... :rolleyes: The White Sox are a TEAM. They played and won as a TEAM, not as "Konerko and the Sox", or "Buehrle and the Sox" or any crap like that. Manny is a destabilizer, let him continue his crap in Boston or KC or Cleveland, wherever. Besides, KW doesn't want him so the issue is moot.

The Deacon
11-29-2005, 12:33 PM
The numbers Manny could put up in the Cell are staggering. He hits a lot of line drives at Fenway that hit the wall but would be 20 rows up in Chicago.

Boston's headache is if Manny unhappy we will see his grandmother die at least 8 times during the season along with numerous hamstring problems.

If ANYONE could control Manny, it would be Ozzie. Manny would be devastating in our lineup, I just hope we wouldnt see him on the field...

Palehose13
11-29-2005, 12:35 PM
You be amazed how many visiting players get on the Red Line at the Chicago stop and go to 35th St.

In June several of the Red Sox took the CTA to Wrigley

That may be, but my point was that the red line is NOT the subway.

voodoochile
11-29-2005, 12:37 PM

Downtown it is.

Fenway
11-29-2005, 12:39 PM

at Chicago Ave it is :smile: even says so on the kiosk

http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/images/StateSubway/chicago-state21.jpg

Baby Fisk
11-29-2005, 12:42 PM
That may be, but my point was that the red line is NOT the subway.As if he'd ever ride it again as a White Sox. Suddenly it would be "I can't even ride the damn subway without being mobbed. Now let me tell you: just last week when I was strolling around the new Busch Stadium, nobody recognized me and it was GREAT! I demand a trade to St. Louis! bla bla bla..." :violin:

Iwritecode
11-29-2005, 12:44 PM
You know, I'm pretty sure I've played video games with Thome, Konerko and Rameriz as my 3,4 & 5 hitters... :cool:

Palehose13
11-29-2005, 12:45 PM
at Chicago Ave it is :smile: even says so on the kiosk

http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/images/StateSubway/chicago-state21.jpg

Wow. I guess I've been out of the city too long. I had the understanding that Chicago people were sensitive that the "subway" was NY and the "el" was Chicago. Kinda like Madison Avenue vs. Madison St.

NardiWasHere
11-29-2005, 12:56 PM
He may not be a cancer, in the classic "Pierzynski" sense of the word, but he's a disruptive force. Me me me, it's all about Manny and Manny's problems and Manny's hardships bla bla blah... :rolleyes: The White Sox are a TEAM. They played and won as a TEAM, not as "Konerko and the Sox", or "Buehrle and the Sox" or any crap like that. Manny is a destabilizer, let him continue his crap in Boston or KC or Cleveland, wherever. Besides, KW doesn't want him so the issue is moot.

I understand what you are saying, but in my opinion, when you have a guy whose numbers at the allstar break can be a season for a decent player, it cancels out him being an idiot.

True, the White Sox won as a team. But one year earlier, the Red Sox also won as a team. Remember when a run was scored, all the players would hug each other in the dugout- even the "destabilizer".

And once again, if he "took his crap to Cleveland" last year, we might not be fans of the defending champs right now

Frater Perdurabo
11-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Hangar, let the Cubs have him. He'll be another Sammy Sosa. The fans will love his Waveland moon shots, but his average will go down and he'll only hit homers and singles (all those doubles he hits off the Green Monster will become long singles at the Urinal), play inept defense and let his piss-poor attitude rub off on Aramis Ramirez.

It's not as if the Cubs will sell more tickets; they sell out the Urinal/Die Biergarten anyway! They'll have the league's worst defense and worst clubhouse and they will be the most popular fifth-place team behind the Cardinals, Houston, Milwaukee and Cincinnati. He will hanstring their payroll and just make it more likely that Prior will leave for the Yankees as soon as he becomes a free agent. Derrek Lee will become disgusted and demand a trade. Kerry Wood again will lead the league in simulated innings pitched and Carlos Zambrano will go postal on his own teammates from the mound.

Meanwhile the Sox again will out-draw the Cubs in October.

bobowhite
11-29-2005, 12:58 PM

I'm sure he also stops to give blood every day and even old ladies to their seats.

Sorry folks, I don't care how wonderfully Manny thinks of Chicago; he would ruin the team spirit on the South Side. The man can hit but he's selfish. He plays the field to a portion of his abilities. I'd rather have a team full of grinders than a bunch of stars who are just worried about their own stats.

Manny is not a grinder.

Chek2002
11-29-2005, 01:25 PM
I think Manny would be good. If the Sox don't get Konerko, then Thome could play 1B and Manny would DH most of the time. Manny and Thome would be a nice 1-2 punch. Ozzie could probably handle Manny, Ozzie handled AJ and Carl last season.

Flight #24
11-29-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm sure he also stops to give blood every day and even old ladies to their seats.

Sorry folks, I don't care how wonderfully Manny thinks of Chicago; he would ruin the team spirit on the South Side. The man can hit but he's selfish. He plays the field to a portion of his abilities. I'd rather have a team full of grinders than a bunch of stars who are just worried about their own stats.

I'd rather win. And I've yet to see one report of him poisoning the clubhouse in Boston, and in any case, he'd have to be TO, Rickey Henderson, Kevin Brown, and Son of Sam rolled into one to have his clubhouse impact overcome his bat.

Chek2002
11-29-2005, 01:36 PM
The Sox have to get him. Then they would have most of the mid to late 90's Cleveland Indians. They have already had Robbie Alomar, Sandy Alomar, Albert Belle, Bartolo Colon, Kenny Lofton, and now Jim Thome.

Chisox003
11-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Ok, so the Sox get Manny...

Now imagine about mid-May, when he goes up to Ozzie one day before the game and says he doesn't want to play because he's "tired."

I'm sure guys like Pierzynski and Thome would just laugh and say "Well that's Manny being Manny!" right?

Keep him outta here, I don't care how good he is.

kittle42
11-29-2005, 01:43 PM
The Chicago Media will love him immediately ...... and we'll be 2nd class citizens again.

Can't we just forget about the Cubs, at least until the incessant media coverage begins in March? What did they ever win?

Baby Fisk
11-29-2005, 01:44 PM
Can't we just forget about the Cubs, at least until the incessant media coverage begins in March? What did they ever win?
Some people just can't. The Cubs are more important to them than so many other great things in life...

antitwins13
11-29-2005, 02:15 PM

I think his agent ment to put that in teal.

Tekijawa
11-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Omar gets my vote for 2006 GM of the year if he pulls this off!

Manny Ramirez (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=5132) - OF - Red Sox (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&majteam=BOS)

The Bergen Record's Bob Klapisch believes the Mets would give up Cliff Floyd, Lastings Milledge and Aaron Heilman for Manny Ramirez if the Red Sox would absorb a portion of Ramirez's salary.
If the Red Sox could really get all three, they should be willing to eat some salary. Floyd is only signed through next season at $6.6 million, so he's rather attractive. Discussions between the two teams are expected to continue at the winter meetings. Nov. 29 - 2:27 pm et

Domeshot17
11-29-2005, 04:10 PM
You know, for all the "He is going to ruin team chemistry" thoughts, theres as many "Let Konerko go, not worth the extra 2 million a year"

Team Chemistry next year will be different in a lot of ways. few new faces, couple popular ones gone. Bottom line is picking up Manny would make this team better than it was before.

Difference between Manny and Sammy: Sammy got caught cheating, then got his juice taken away, and plummeted. Manny is a pure raw hitter, and he is as clutch as it gets.

and I 2 have had a sox team with Manny Konerko Thome in it on a video game.

Manny isnt sosa. He is not TO. He seems to win wherever he goes, and he gets the most out of team mates. He jokes around a ton, and would probably fit in great with a ball club like ours.

jerry myers
11-29-2005, 06:23 PM
attitude or not manny is dangerous, i do not want him for the tribe.

caulfield12
11-29-2005, 07:42 PM

I would love for the Indians to sign him....he would only be making about 40-45% of their entire 2005 payroll. It would keep them from re-signing Millwood, Wickman and Elarton...as well as leading to countless clubhouse and chemistry issues with Wedge.

ChiSoxIn06
11-29-2005, 07:59 PM
I seriously think that if the Sox got Manny that Ozzie would keep his ass in check and he could be this years AJ Pierzynski (club house cancer turned perfect fit) Ozzie seems to have that effect on people. No one is intimidated by Terry Francona or his manager presence...but I think Manny would have a large amount of respect for Ozzie if he came here.

A. Cavatica
11-29-2005, 08:27 PM
The Sox have to get him. Then they would have most of the mid to late 90's Cleveland Indians. They have already had Robbie Alomar, Sandy Alomar, Albert Belle, Bartolo Colon, Kenny Lofton, and now Jim Thome.

And nearly Vizquel!

Any others?

kevin57
11-29-2005, 10:25 PM
Ain't gonna happen and I wouldn't want it to happen.

Manny will be a BoSox next year.

"Now, that you've got your daily dose of attention, Mr. Ramirez, can we get back to the reading assignment in your textbook?" :tongue:

whitesoxfan1986
11-29-2005, 11:30 PM
Aren't Manny and Aramis related someway or another? I heard they were half brothers or something.

Nellie_Fox
11-30-2005, 01:06 AM
Those 2 together put up numbers not seen in the AL since Ruth and Gehrig.Does Mantle and Maris ring any bells?

Manny is an absolute butcher defensively. He can get away with it in Fenway by just playing back (because "back" at Fenway is shallow anywhere else,) and anything hit over his head is off the wall anyway so he just turns around and plays it off the wall. He has no throwing arm, and his defensive instincts are so bad that he jumped in front of a throw by Damon and cut it off in the outfield.

HotelWhiteSox
11-30-2005, 01:20 AM
I think Ramirez being a cancer is exaggerated. There is obviously some issue that everyone else doesn't know, and that's why a trade request wouldn't lead to the 'clubhouse cancer' conclusion. I mean, to request the trade on a yearly basis, even after winning the World Series, there's got to be some weird situation there. He's a smart hitter, brings MVP/HOF numbers, and would probably get along with Ozzie. The D sucks and is lackadaisical, but not a problem if you stick him at DH. Not saying it's going to happen (especially if Konerko comes back), but come in, how could you not welcome him onto your team?

MUsoxfan
11-30-2005, 01:22 AM
I think Ramirez being a cancer is exaggerated.

I'll keep this quote in hand when he demands a trade out of his next city in the middle of a season:rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
11-30-2005, 01:36 AM
The D sucks and is lackadaisical, but not a problem if you stick him at DH. Not saying it's going to happen (especially if Konerko comes back), but come in, how could you not welcome him onto your team?You are aware that each team can only have one DH per day, aren't you? Do you really want to see the Sox head back in that direction, a lineup loaded with DH types? That's where they were a couple of years ago, and you see where that got them.

SOecks
11-30-2005, 01:42 AM
Wow, just wow. You'd think that Manny was eating his teammate's children rather than simply just not hustling or taking occasionaly days off without warning. Yet despite all that, he's still arguably the most potent offensive force in the game and plays 150+ while making the guys around him in the lineup dramatically better.

It's ludicrous to think that Manny does anything but make your team significantly better. The only downside is if his salary makes you get rid of other players, but that's the ONLY one.

Nope, no teal necessary at all, thank you. And if you think "simply just not hustling or taking occasionally days off without warning" isn't a big deal, then maybe you are rooting for the wrong Chicago team in my humble opinion. I am proud to be a White Sox fan because our guys lay it out on the field EVERY NIGHT at ANY TIME when they are called on. Even if it's to CLOSE the game after they STARTED in the playoffs (Mark Buehrle). Manny would be fine and dandy for a little while just like he was in Boston, and hit big numbers for us.

Then he'd start the soap operas just like he did last year. Demanding a trade and then backing off when he had no suitors and making his triumphant return to say "I'M BACK" to a blindly gracious Boston fanbase. It's just disgusting to me that you'd want him on THIS TEAM. Would you take Albert Belle in his prime on this team as well in hindsight? His numbers and production were great as well, but he was a distraction and a pain in the @ss as well. You can have Manny, I don't want him even close to this team unless it's in the playoffs beating the snot out of Cleveland's "Home Run or Done" 2006 squad.

HotelWhiteSox
11-30-2005, 01:53 AM
You are aware that each team can only have one DH per day, aren't you? Do you really want to see the Sox head back in that direction, a lineup loaded with DH types? That's where they were a couple of years ago, and you see where that got them.

Well, it would've been based on Konerko signing elsewhere, in which Thome would play 1st. I know it's not going to happen, but I'd wouldn't complain about it happening

getonbckthr
11-30-2005, 02:06 AM
Lets say KW was interested in Manny, what would it cost to get him. I would assume Anderson, Sweeney, Marte,gooch or willie. It sounds like a Herschel Walker deal, not to mention I don't think we can afford it.

Soxfan35
11-30-2005, 02:38 AM
Kenny was already lucky enough to have philly pick up so much of thome's deal. I doubt boston will pick up enough of manny's salary to make him a viable option for the sox, lets be realistic here. personally, i dont think he'd be a distraction chemistry wise, i just don't think the fans would appreciate his act in the field. he's garbage out there.

Fenway
11-30-2005, 12:04 PM
meanwhile Manny had his "open house" yesterday

Manny says he wants privacy but last summer he invited reporters to see his crib. Everybody knows he lives on the 37th floor of The Ritz.

The Red Sox do not want to eat any part of his salary...

http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/moreTrack/view.bg?articleid=114731