PDA

View Full Version : New Advertising Campaign Help

Two By Four
11-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Hey Sox Fans, it's been a while (the World Series kept us pretty busy) but I'm back and I need your help. As some of you know, I own the advertising agency that does the White Sox work (and "NO" I can not get you one of those Grinder Rules books, I wish I could but I can't). And as a perk to being the owner, I get to write the Sox ads. Which, I am in the process of doing just that for the 2006 season. And to make my life easier (and the creative more genuine) I would like to hear from you.

I am lookinf for FUNNY Sox related stories. Things that happened to you at a game or getting ready for a game or tailgating at US Cellular. Things that make you laugh everytime you think of them. And a bonus would be that it happened in locations like Fundamentals with your kid or at a great vendor stand or in the parking lot. Great memories of great Sox experiences.

BUT TO SUBMIT A STORY FOR CONSIDERATION YOU HAVE TO AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING:

1. You agree that if we use your story you will NOT recieve ANY FORM of payment (no tickets, moola, or free hot dogs). You will however, get credit by name and POSSIBLY be featured in the commercial (if we use it on TV). I can not guarantee that your face will make it on the big screen, but maybe.

2. You agree that we have the right to edit and ammend your story to fit our needs (remember, TV commercials are :30 seconds long and radio is :60 seconds).

3. You will sign a release form if we use your story.

That's it. I need great, FUNNY, ballpark experience stories that bring the Sox experience to life. And thanks in advance.

antitwins13
11-29-2005, 11:01 AM
I think it would be cool to use the 35th street viaduct drummer.

34 Inch Stick
11-29-2005, 11:02 AM
Nice! You are going to make money by taking my story and embellishing it with the only compensation being that I can tick a few seconds off my lifetime limit of 15 minutes of fame. I'd sign that release in my own blood if I didn't have the ink.

tebman
11-29-2005, 11:04 AM
2x4, I just want to thank you for the truly wonderful job you and your agency did with the White Sox in 2005. I hope the quality and creativity of your work leads to even more success for your organization.

The season was such a wonderful blur, I'll have to think back on which moments might have been more amusing or incongruous. There were so many of them. I'm confident that the posters here will give you plenty to work with.

Thanks again.

Two By Four
11-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Nice! You are going to make money by taking my story and embellishing it with the only compensation being that I can tick a few seconds off my lifetime limit of 15 minutes of fame. I'd sign that release in my own blood if I didn't have the ink.

No actually I won't make any money using it.

Sox-on-TV44
11-29-2005, 11:06 AM
They should use the raspy voiced vendor at the Cell who sells Lemon Chills or Hot Dogs on some games.He looks like he be great in a commerical!

SoxFan76
11-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Have some confused Cub fans walking through the parking lot among the tailgaters wondering what this "parking lot" was. People grilling, throwing the ball around, cheering the Sox. That's White Sox baseball. :D:

I don't know, I'm just throwin out ideas.

Iwritecode
11-29-2005, 11:14 AM
As some of you know, I own the advertising agency that does the White Sox work (and "NO" I can not get you one of those Grinder Rules books, I wish I could but I can't).

What Grinder Rules books? Is this something that is real?

Sox-on-TV44
11-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Have some confused Cub fans walking through the parking lot among the tailgaters wondering what this "parking lot" was. People grilling, throwing the ball around, cheering the Sox. That's White Sox baseball. :D:

I don't know, I'm just throwin out ideas.
And so far that's a great idea!

Iwritecode
11-29-2005, 11:15 AM
There's got to be some "core of the core" game stories somewhere...

Tekijawa
11-29-2005, 11:18 AM
How about you sit the Camera in front of Ho Punh, in full vendor gear, the Loudest hot dog vendor in America and for 30 seconds you just show her lips moving but nothing comes out. Then you cut to Koneko's Grand Slam in the playoffs and the fans cheering loudly and pretend like it was her telling what it was like at the park then... then cut to this on the Screen:

"White Sox Baseball, a picture is worth a 1000 words"

:D: I'm the greatest!

santo=dorf
11-29-2005, 11:19 AM
I got pelted with peanuts and pennies by Padres fans after Hermanson blew the Saturday night game. I was holding up a sign that read "Hermy is my homeboy," and I could hear people yelling at me as I was walking back to the concourse "YEAH THAT'S YOUR HOMEBOY!!!"

I got the last laugh the next day. After Rowand hit the 3 run homer off of Hoffman, the Padre fans were flying out of the ballpark. I was watching the game from the 3rd base side concourse and had each of the early leaving Padre fans look at my other sign "Who's your Padre now?" After the game I caught up to Hangar, and he took the sign and start yelling at the Padre radio crew wthat was broadcasting on the street.

Two By Four
11-29-2005, 11:25 AM
I got pelted with peanuts and pennies by Padres fans after Hermanson blew the Saturday night game.

That's what I'm looking for! Stories. Thanks. Don't really need commercial ideas, just real stories.

Iwritecode
11-29-2005, 11:32 AM
During the "Core of the core" game I went down to the end of the aisle to talk to Cheeses. Right at the same time the Chevy Pride crew that everyone loves came out and starting throwing rolled up t-shirts into the crowd. I turned around just in time to see one coming directly at me and caught it in self-defense.

I've never caught a foul ball or even a homerun but I've caught a chevy pride crew t-shirt. :redface:

IIRC, (I may need some help here) another WSI member told me that I should give it to a young sox fan but I decided to keep it. Randar yelled something about "those people from Rockford need all the charity they can get."

Sadly, he was right. :(: :cool:

DumpJerry
11-29-2005, 11:35 AM
No free hot dogs huh? Hmmm......

How about the time I told a Cub fan at the Cell in April that the Sox would sweep the World Series this year (2005) and he responded that he would eat his car's transmission if they merely won the World Series? (use your imagination for the closing shot).

Law11
11-29-2005, 11:37 AM
I had a foul ball hit me in the goods this season down the left field line.
Pods thought it was funny. Myself, not so much.. i was actually trying to get in front of my wife so she wouldnt get smacked with it.

The security guys thought it was pretty funny. They got me some ice. Like I'm dropping my shorts to ice the area...

Bad thing was i didnt even get the ball. Some goof in a Detroit hat 3 rows back came running down and snagged it from under my seat.

The security guys gave me a ball later for the effort.

Ol' No. 2
11-29-2005, 11:39 AM
Last year we celebrated my son's 15th birthday at the game. We tailgated with some friends beforehand and then headed in. Being 15, he gets really interested in the Chevy Pride girls. Between innings, my wife met up with one of them on the concourse and asked if she'd sing Happy Birthday to him. She rounded up two more and the three of them stood in the aisle and sang to him, then gave him a shirt. I never knew someone's skin could turn that shade of red.

Tekijawa
11-29-2005, 11:44 AM
I once emailed Brooks and he told me my idea was dumb... then Daver Banned me for a week. :redneck

cheeses_h_rice
11-29-2005, 11:46 AM
There's got to be some "core of the core" game stories somewhere...

And, this one time, I saw a guy with a name tag that said "Fenway" on it, and I went up to him, and said 'hi', and it turned out to be SoxintheBurgh.

That was awesome.

:)

skottyj242
11-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Last year a friend and myself both got dressed up for Elvis night and Mullet night and we tailgated for both. What fun it was that pretty much everyone that walked by us both in the pariking lots and in the ballpark wanted to take a picture with us. On Mullet night we stood in front of the cheesy band that was playing outisde gate three and gave them the devil horns for a couple of minutes. People got some good laughs and it makes me smile.

whitesoxwilkes
11-29-2005, 11:53 AM
I went early for BP a couple years ago and broke a finger catching a home run ball. Not wanting to miss the game on a gorgeous afternoon, I iced it for a while and stuck around for the game. It never got set 100% properly and it's a little funky looking, but it's my badge of Sox Pride!

XplodingScorbord
11-29-2005, 11:55 AM
If you want funny in a Sox commercial, look no further than one Man Soo Lee. That guy is a riot, and a great Sox ambassador.

The Critic
11-29-2005, 11:57 AM
I took my daughter to a game in July and we decided to get there 90 minutes early so she could play in the Fundamentals area. We get to the park and start walking to Fundamentals when she stops and says "Dad, can we just go to our seats and watch the men practice? I want some peanuts!" I know it's not a funny story, but it was a nice 90 minutes of just sitting in the right-field seats, watching "practice" with my 5-year-old. She probably doesn't even remember it now, but I'll never forget it.

skottyj242
11-29-2005, 11:58 AM
If you want funny in a Sox commercial, look no further than one Man Soo Lee. That guy is a riot, and a great Sox ambassador.

Everytime I go to a game and sit in left field Man Soo always calls me down and gives me a handful of Bazooka Joe gum.

kjkobs
11-29-2005, 11:58 AM
How about you sit the Camera in front of Ho Punh, in full vendor gear, the Loudest hot dog vendor in America

"hottttt dogs"

soxphan7
11-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Well this story may not be that funny but, I got 2 seats to game 2 of the ALCS by chance the day of the game. Living in Deerfield and not knowing many sox fans (any that could have made it to the game on that short notice) I asked my brother to come with me, who of course is a fan of the team on the northside, but still the biggest baseball fan i know. I decided to ask him to show him what white sox baseball was all about and what playoff baseball was like. Needless to say, game 2 of the ALCS was one of the most exciting and crazy games in white sox history. The entire game he sat in his seat showing very little emotion. Then in the Bottom of the 9th Joe Crede wins the game after the "dropped" third strike. The ballpark erupts and I look to my left and there is my brother a cubs fan, jumping up and down and dancing along with the rest of us. It seems like he got a taste of what white sox baseball is.

EDIT: That was also the night of my first Comiskey Polish. I usually stuck with the nachos and hot dogs, but I am so happy I tried that sausage, it was the most delicious thing I have ever eaten

ChiSoxGirl
11-29-2005, 12:28 PM
How about the time I told a Cub fan at the Cell in April that the Sox would sweep the World Series this year (2005) and he responded that he would eat his car's transmission if they merely won the World Series? (use your imagination for the closing shot).

That's AWESOME! :roflmao:

WS4life
11-29-2005, 12:30 PM
As many of the other people have said I think it should be about pride. Not the "Sox Pride" ad of the past but pride, passion, and faithfullness. The faithfullness of the true fans to stick by this team for 88 years. Emphasize the southside atmosphere. Things like the food, the bucket drummer boys, the bridge drummer, and Nancy. Use our heritage and show that the true fans stick with this team through it all. This is our time as World Champions.

miker
11-29-2005, 12:33 PM
As many of the other people have said I think it should be about pride. Not the "Sox Pride" ad of the past but pride, passion, and faithfullness. The faithfullness of the true fans to stick by this team for 88 years. Emphasize the southside atmosphere. Things like the food, the bucket drummer boys, the bridge drummer, and Nancy. Use our heritage and show that the true fans stick with this team through it all. This is our time as World Champions.
My sentiments exactly, and don't even mention the non-World Champion baseball team...just ours!

CPditka
11-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Last year I was out at fenway, The players were super friendly talking to all of the Sox fans... Myself and one Chris Widger had a good chat about the types of pitches he would have thrown in the game when Ozzie exhausted all of our pitchers and he was warming up in the pen. Good Times.

downstairs
11-29-2005, 12:56 PM
No actually I won't make any money using it.

You ought to re-think your business plan if you're not making money doing ads for a multi-million dollar corporation.

:cool:

Hangar18
11-29-2005, 01:07 PM
A Cousin of mine and her husband from the south suburbs went on their wedding anniversary cruise back in June of 05.
The Cruise started out of San Diego and they flew in late Saturday nite. Upon checking in, the front desk realized they were from Chicago and asked if they were in town to watch the SOX and Padres. My cousin and her husband said they didnt realize the SOX were in town, and decided to go to the game the next afternoon.

Walking from the hotel to the ballpark, they couldnt believe the numbers of SOX fans walking around the Convention area and by the ballpark. They remembered how vocal and spirited all the SOX fans were, and were surprised at how many fans were heading to the game. Walking inside the park, my cousin again noticed the big turnout of SOX fans so far from home and saying "My cousin Henry is a huge White Sox fan, he'd love this, Im surprised he isnt here". Apparently, just as she was telling her husband that, they turned the corner to head to their section, and there I was, in my Konerko jersey, beer in hand, eating a Fish Taco! They were STUNNED and couldnt believe I was standing there 2000 miles away from home ......... Cheering on my SOX. White Sox Baseball. Going to the Game No Matter how far away..... or Die Trying.

skottyj242
11-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Last year I was out at fenway, The players were super friendly talking to all of the Sox fans... Myself and one Chris Widger had a good chat about the types of pitches he would have thrown in the game when Ozzie exhausted all of our pitchers and he was warming up in the pen. Good Times.

Not to hijack the thread and please correct me if I'm wrong but you're talking about the game in Oakland right? Wasn't Widger playing third base that game? I thought he started at third Crede at short, then Crede got ejected after throwing his bat and Jermaine Dye finished the game at short.

BainesHOF
11-29-2005, 01:54 PM
I don't know if this qualifies, but...one time I ate eight hot dogs on Dollar Dog Day. If you think that's a lot, my friend had nine. The crazy thing is we weren't even trying to wolf them down or anything like that. We were just hungry, they tasted good and we just kept buying them everytime a vendor came to our spot in the bleachers. In retrospect, we should have tried to eat some more to raise the record bar even higher.

There's always 2006...

IUPeterman
11-29-2005, 02:21 PM
I don't know if this qualifies, but...one time I ate eight hot dogs on Dollar Dog Day. If you think that's a lot, my friend had nine. The crazy thing is we weren't even trying to wolf them down or anything like that. We were just hungry, they tasted good and we just kept buying them everytime a vendor came to our spot in the bleachers. In retrospect, we should have tried to eat some more to raise the record bar even higher.

There's always 2006...

Maybe an ad spot with Kobayashi (sp)- that guy who wins that hot dog eating contest every year- chowing dogs for Dollar dog day? I can see him in the stands with balled up empty wrappers all around him...:D: BainesHOF, there would be you with your 8, your buddy with 9, and then that Kobayashi guy with something like 40.

chisox
11-29-2005, 02:24 PM
this past winter/spring/early summer i was studying in buenos aires and could only follow the sox on the internet via mlb.com and wsi. the hotter the sox got the more homesick i got. i wanted nothing more than to be at the cell cheering my squad on. i was so excited for sox-ball that while i was still in argentina i bought a pair of upper-deck tickets for the night i would get home.
i took my little sister to the gameit was her first one, and a great one at that. the sox forced the a's to extra-innings after a two-run ninth but lost in the 11th. as i was riding the el back downtown, with the skyline beautifully lit up, i couldn't help but think, 'even though they lost, even though i was jet-lagged and exhausted, even though it was past 1 a.m., i couldn't have been happier; i was home, i was with my sister, and i was watching my team.' it was a great night.

Realist
11-29-2005, 03:11 PM
Here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34096)'s a link to a thread that addresses the subject matter of this thread.

Here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=398870&postcount=14)'s a link to my post on that same thread. :smile:

TheDarkGundam
11-29-2005, 03:12 PM
A Cousin of mine and her husband from the south suburbs went on their wedding anniversary cruise back in June of 05.
The Cruise started out of San Diego and they flew in late Saturday nite. Upon checking in, the front desk realized they were from Chicago and asked if they were in town to watch the SOX and Padres. My cousin and her husband said they didnt realize the SOX were in town, and decided to go to the game the next afternoon.

Walking from the hotel to the ballpark, they couldnt believe the numbers of SOX fans walking around the Convention area and by the ballpark. They remembered how vocal and spirited all the SOX fans were, and were surprised at how many fans were heading to the game. Walking inside the park, my cousin again noticed the big turnout of SOX fans so far from home and saying "My cousin Henry is a huge White Sox fan, he'd love this, Im surprised he isnt here". Apparently, just as she was telling her husband that, they turned the corner to head to their section, and there I was, in my Konerko jersey, beer in hand, eating a Fish Taco! They were STUNNED and couldnt believe I was standing there 2000 miles away from home ......... Cheering on my SOX. White Sox Baseball. Going to the Game No Matter how far away..... or Die Trying.

Awesome story! :D:

F1RaceFan
11-29-2005, 03:19 PM
My 11-year-old son and I were at Game 2 of the World Series. In the top of the 7th we left our lower deck seats to stand on the 1st base concourse to get out of the rain. When the Sox loaded the bases in the bottom of the inning everyone began to crowd the aisles to watch the Konerko at bat. I held my son as he stood on the railing behind the disabled seating section so he could see. The only thing I saw, because of the fans crowding the aisles, was PK at the plate. I saw the swing, the crowd erupted, and before I could react, my son jumped into my arms screaming, He did it, Dad, he did it!

I dont know if you can use that, but aside from the day my son was born it was the best moment of my life. Ill never forget it!

skobabe8
11-29-2005, 03:26 PM
October 5th, 2005. U.S. Cellular Field, Chicago, IL. Two friends and I attend Game 2 of the ALDS. It starts out rough and before you know it, the Sox are down 4-0 to Boston. Before the bottom of the 5th, a couple of frustrated guys from our row decide to grab a bite to eat and try and calm down. While they were gone, the Sox put a 5 SPOT on the board, highlighted by a Tadahito Iguchi 3 run bomb. For the rest of the game, those guys would spend every Sox at bat on the concourse watching the game on the concession stand TVs because it was good luck. I felt for them when they would have to get up and leave every inning and always gave them a pat on the back or a handshake as they walked by, but they were doing whatever had to be done for the team. The rest was history.

Domeshot17
11-29-2005, 04:00 PM
During an Angels game during late August (and a bad run in with Brendon Donnelly) My girlfriend went and tried to catch BP balls. She caught one, and gave it to a little kid behind her. As She was doing this, she got nailed with a screamer in the arm from Vladd, and it bruised quickly. She had the laces from the ball imprented in her arm, but she just bit her lip. The security guard down the line asked her how bad it hurt, and she said really bad. He said she was tough for not crying, and she goes "Theres no crying in baseball". The Security laughed real hard, went and got her the ball, pocketed it until the angels BP was over, and tossed it up to her. After that, she joked she was gonna put a hex on Vlad for hurting her, and he was silent the entire ALCS, which she still claims credit for.

Palehose13
11-29-2005, 04:24 PM
- Once I had two guys in the row in front of me who weren't the most knowledgable fans. I felt the need to correct their misconceptions since they appeared to be bandwagon fans (got to enlighten them if they are going to be at our park). At first they didn't want to listen to me, cause I'm a girl. But by the end of the game, they asked me for my phone number so I could do play-by-play of the games for him.

- There was a time this season that I had the top off my Jeep Wrangler and an unexpected thunderstorm hit. I drove all the way back to Milwaukee with my Jeep filled with puddles.

- So everyone who is a regular at the park knows the "Millllllller Liggggggghhhht" guy. One day he was selling "lemon Chill" instead(with the same sale pitch). Someone asked him why and he said "I'm being taught a lesson". On second thought, that is probably one of those "had to be there" stories.

- There have been many funny moments when playing the "Nancy game" with friends. (Figuring out the relationship between the song that Nancy is playing and the hitter) However, one in particular is not coming to mind at the moment.

- Last year (2004) I was sitting in the LF bleachers, row one. Damaso Marte somehow got stuck behind the fence, but not quite in the bullpen. I have a picture of him trying to get the attention of the guys in the pen to let him in.

-Steff and I have had some moments(platonic moments boys), but I don't know if they are appropriate. :cool:

Andy T Clown
11-29-2005, 04:48 PM
When we took the kids to a game in the spring, my daughter (6 yrs.) kept asking when the game is going to start. She kept asking even after the game had started, and I told her that this is the game. She would have no part of this and said NO..I mean the game, when is it going to start! I had no idea what she was talking about until she saw the Pizza Races on the scoreboard She smacked me in the arm and said "That Game". :D:

Chisox003
11-29-2005, 04:57 PM
How about you sit the Camera in front of Ho Punh, in full vendor gear, the Loudest hot dog vendor in America and for 30 seconds you just show her lips moving but nothing comes out. Then you cut to Koneko's Grand Slam in the playoffs and the fans cheering loudly and pretend like it was her telling what it was like at the park then... then cut to this on the Screen:

"White Sox Baseball, a picture is worth a 1000 words"

:D: I'm the greatest!
I vend there, too.

And I have MANY stories if that's what we're looking for here....

Shakey Bonez
11-29-2005, 04:58 PM
The first day of the season my Cubs' fan friend laughing at the team the Sox put together, Iguchi? Pods for Lee?.

After 30 games, saying what a 'lucky' streak the Sox were on.

After the All-Star Break, saying how great it'll be to see them collapse.

With a month left, laughing at me on the phone saying this would be the biggest collapse of all time.

Play-offs start, 3 games, Sox are done is all I heard.

Second series, one call only - I hope they lose.

World Series, one text message - Are you kidding me? They'll still blow it...

After game 4, one IM - I'm never seeing you again

zach074
11-29-2005, 05:16 PM
The first day of the season my Cubs' fan friend laughing at the team the Sox put together, Iguchi? Pods for Lee?.

With a month left, laughing at me on the phone saying this would be the biggest collapse of all time.

I got a story just like that, but my friend is an Indians fan. I went to the last regular season game of the year and we all know the sox won and Indians lost but when i get home i look at my aim because i had told him i was going and his exact word were " have fun watching them lose were already up 4 in the first" and the jinx was on. He jinxed the teams the sox were playing probably 10 times during the playoffs finally in the world series he decided just to not talk.

CHIsoxNation
11-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Wow, I have so many I don't know where to start.

I have one that isn't as funny as it was more of a "heart warming" moment I guess you could call it.

My friends and I always park in Lot G when we attend the weekend games so we can get there early for some tailgaiting and bean bags. This particular game was a Saturday night game but we had gotten there extra early for the "early bird" special on the parking.

We had been playing been bags for about 2 hours, as well as doing the usual tailgaiting, and a father came up to us and asked us if his kids could join us in tossing bean bags. He and the rest of his family and been tailgating in back of their mini van for about a half hour. We welcomed the kids over and decided to teach these little guys how to play beans bags.

It was a lot of fun and nice to see these younger kids loving it so much and us college kids having a blast with the up and coming sox fans. You could tell they were going to make tailgaiting and bean bags a ritual for years to come.

After about 20 minutes of just throwing bean bags around, the family went in the park. The kids had a blast, I told them I'd look for them next time we were there. Unfortunately, this was in August and I didn't see them the rest of the season. :(:

TornLabrum
11-29-2005, 07:41 PM
I've got two stories that I'll relate, but I doubt you'd want to use either of them, but I just like to share.

1) I've been going to games off and on for 50 years, and I've never gotten a foul ball. Two years ago Jeff (my son, now 26) were at a game, sitting in about Row 26 down the left field line. Maggs was up (the reason the story is no good for the campaign, since he's no longer with us) and a hard line foul about 3 rows in front of us. As usual, I'm keeping score, so I glance up as it starts to approach us. No problem. It's in front of us, but some guy reaches up and deflects it. I didn't have any time to react, and the thing hits me square on my chest about three inches below my collar bone. The ball bounces off me down onto the crack between my seat and the one next to me.

Of course I grab my chest, and as everybody is asking if I'm okay, the guy sitting there says, "Oh! Here's the ball." He then says, "I've never gotten a foul ball," and pockets it. He got the ball, and I had a nice rounc bruise on my chest for the next three weeks.

2) This falls into the heartwarming category and involves Nancy Faust. Jeff and I got to know her when he was about 10 years old. Last November Jeff went had scoliosis surgery. It involved two surgeries. The first, that lasted eight hours, was to remove 8 discs and a rib. The second, which lasted 12 hours was to put the rods in his back to keep the spine stable.

I exchange email with Nancy and she alerted me to let her know after the first operation when he was well enough to have visitors. He was feeling better later in the week, so I let her know, and she told me, she'd come up Saturday, 5 days after the operation.

I didn't tell Jeff, and so that afternoon I saw her at the door, and just said, "Hi, Nancy!" Jeff looked over, and I thought his jaw would drop a foot. She visited for over an hour and then called him several times during his recovery.

She's some lady.

Dan Mega
11-29-2005, 07:50 PM
Going to the last game of the season where the Sox AAA team slaughtered the Indians. I have never intentionally rubbed it in before, but since the Indians fans are so classy at Jacobs field, I rubbed it in big time. It was great, chanting that we're going to the playoffs, while they get to go back to being the worst sports city in america.

Soxfan35
11-29-2005, 08:18 PM
I was at a game vs the Orioles early on in the year and in the middle of the game I see this silver flash fly in front of me and hit my buddy. Then I see another one flying. I look one section over and there is this guy a few rows down just grabbing hot dogs from the vendor and throwing them all over. Kids were running from all the close sections trying to get them. The guy would toss them to the kids and then chuck 'em pretty hard at anyone else. It was pretty funny. I think the vendor said he ended up buying $180.00 worth of dogs.

hose
11-30-2005, 07:26 AM
How about a Bafiarocks story.

Three teenage girls bouncing off the walls talking about who the cutest Sox bat boys/players are?
OMG OMG

Chicago
11-30-2005, 09:29 AM
Opening Day Ad

Guy is walking through the parking lots (by himself) trying to hold his hat and jersey on while the South Side winds blow throught the city...

(Background: Tailgating Sox Fans With ALOT of WS gear/flags...WS hats, jerseys, decals on cars, Flags... the works)

WIND BURST... Guy's Sox jersey blows open revieling a cubs shirt, or partial cubs logo...
(pause screen... cue voice over) YEAH... We Thought You'd Be Back

Screen Cuts to our WORLD SERIES CHAMPION WHITE SOX celebrating on the field and/or in the locker room after winning it all. maybe even include ticker tape parade footage.

(Screen Goes Black)(Cue AC/DC - Thunderstuck)
WS Trophy sitting center on black screen.
(text reads) SOX FANS(above the trophy)... ON YOUR FEET(below the trophy
Maybe even Gene Honda's voice used for both this and the *yeah, we thought you'd be back*

(Fade To)
Shot or shots of the empty green seats with audio of the fans Cheering. (text over screen while showing the seats reads) Opening Day April 2, 2006

~Thats the free one... Believe me I have more... Let me know when I start.~

ChiSoxGirl
11-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Opening Day Ad

Guy is walking through the parking lots (by himself) trying to hold his hat and jersey on while the South Side winds blow throught the city...

(Background: Tailgating Sox Fans With ALOT of WS gear/flags...WS hats, jerseys, decals on cars, Flags... the works)

WIND BURST... Guy's Sox jersey blows open revieling a cubs shirt, or partial cubs logo...
(pause screen... cue voice over) YEAH... We Thought You'd Be Back

Screen Cuts to our WORLD SERIES CHAMPION WHITE SOX celebrating on the field and/or in the locker room after winning it all. maybe even include ticker tape parade footage.

(Screen Goes Black)(Cue AC/DC - Thunderstuck)
WS Trophy sitting center on black screen.
(text reads) SOX FANS(above the trophy)... ON YOUR FEET(below the trophy
Maybe even Gene Honda's voice used for both this and the *yeah, we thought you'd be back*

(Fade To)
Shot or shots of the empty green seats with audio of the fans Cheering. (text over screen while showing the seats reads) Opening Day April 2, 2006

~Thats the free one... Believe me I have more... Let me know when I start.~

Seriously, that's AWESOME! I love it! :thumbsup:

Bobbo35
11-30-2005, 09:49 AM
I was at a game vs the Orioles early on in the year and in the middle of the game I see this silver flash fly in front of me and hit my buddy. Then I see another one flying. I look one section over and there is this guy a few rows down just grabbing hot dogs from the vendor and throwing them all over. Kids were running from all the close sections trying to get them. The guy would toss them to the kids and then chuck 'em pretty hard at anyone else. It was pretty funny. I think the vendor said he ended up buying $180.00 worth of dogs.

I was in the same section, the guy looked like he was trying to impress a couple of women that were with him.

Hangar18
11-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Ive got another funny story ......... two actually from the same event.
I was at the Taste of Lincoln Ave this past summer, and stumbled on a box full of SOX stickers, schedules, pictures, magnets etc. I couldnt believe my luck, but then I wondered why that would be sitting there inconspicuously.

I figured someone from the SOX was supposed to be handing the stuff out ...........So, wearing my SOX shirt and doing my best to Finishing the Mission, I got the box and started handing out the schedules to all the beer stands. I then proceeded to walk the fair handing out the stickers and magnets. You could not imagine the interest and excitement I caused. Everyone wanted stickers and magnets and I felt very charitable .......... standing in the middle of a street with people all around wanting stickers and doing my best to hand these out. My buddies laughed and I told them afterwards ........ SOX fans stick together.

The other incident was at this same street fair, earlier in the day. I was walking past a Verizon Wireless booth. They were hawking their products, and had SOX tickets and shirts to give away. In front of the booth, there was a beanbag toss game, where you got a chance to toss 2 beanbags into a slanted target, decorated with SOX logos, to win a $50 gift certificate. The game is exactly like the hundreds of beanbag games you see in the Cell parking lots before games. I watched someone miss BADDLY, when I pompously announced that I was a SOX FAN, and we know how to play this beanbag game. Of course, the Verizon people laugh and dare me to try ....
knowing noone has yet to win the $50 prize yet. A crowd of people stopped and watched as I lined up and the Verizon people smiled knowing I was going to MISS when ...........PLUNK.....my shot tipped slightly, and went straight in! The crowd hushed ........ and the Verizon people stopped smiling. All I needed was one more shot ..... I acted confident.....
and decided to work in Mark Buehrle-esque fashion, QUICK. I decided to aim short .........and hope the momentum would slide the bag towards the hole ............and then PLOP...............WHISHHHHH, right in the hole!
The small crowd cheered, and In my best Walk-Off-HR-shot-strut, grabbed my beer, strolled past the Verizon people, right-hand taking the $50 gift card, and announced "Im a SOX Fan, we know how to play this game"

it was funny

Hangar18
11-30-2005, 10:26 AM
I exchange email with Nancy and she alerted me to let her know after the first operation when he was well enough to have visitors. He was feeling better later in the week, so I let her know, and she told me, she'd come up Saturday, 5 days after the operation.

I didn't tell Jeff, and so that afternoon I saw her at the door, and just said, "Hi, Nancy!" Jeff looked over, and I thought his jaw would drop a foot. She visited for over an hour and then called him several times during his recovery.

She's some lady.

Nancy is a Treasure ......

wtwalter01
11-30-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm new to this site, but my brother saw this thread and thought I should share a story.

During game 1 of the ALCS, I was fortunate to get a free ticket thanks to my buddy whose Dad has been a season ticket holder for 7 years. We, of course, got their early and since we were on the lower box level (third base side), descided to check out the Scout Seats. On the way, two girls (who I soon recognized to be Spirit Girls) approached us. For some insane reason and despite my intial decline of the invitiation, these girls got me to agree to take park in the dance-off on the home dugout between the 4th and 5th innings.

Now if this were a regular White Sox game during the season, fine, might have been OK. But this was game 1 of the ALCS. I was trying to focus on the game and support the team, but I couldn't help but get more and more nervous and pre-occupied with this dance off that was coming. I don't know if it helped me stay calm or not, but my friend and I didn't mention what was going on to his Dad and Uncle (also in attendance) so as to surprise them.

So anyways, we finally get to the middle of the 4th and one Spirit Girl comes to get me from my seat. (Unfortunately, not the cuter of the two as I was hoping.) She takes me to the concourse, and we have to wait for the other participants and miscellaneous Spirit People, and finally sneak up one of the front aisles to sit in two seats near the dugout while the bottom of the inning ends. By this time, I'm nervous but trying not to show it. It doesn't help much that I don't drink, though after my performance, most people just assumed I do.

I knew that I had to do something outlandish to win. I knew that if I was going to be dumb enough to get up there, I might as go all out and embarass myself. And what better way could I do that than by attempting the Kid-n-Play Jump-through-the-Leg dance move? Fortunately I was contestant #3 so I got to see who I was going up against. The first girl did a little bit of butt-wiggling, but nothing special. The next guy did the sprinkler, so I knew I had a shot. So after checking the scoreboard to make sure I was on, I attempted the move made famous by Mr. Kid and Mr. Play.

Land it? No well in hell. Fell flat on my face. Well, I did catch myself, but I did go to the ground. My friend afterwards said he thought I fell off the dugout from his advantage point. Other friends who I didn't even know were at the game told me about it later on. One buddy even had people at work mention it to him. This was 10 second of my 15 minutes of fame, apparently.

But having already made an idiot of myself, and still having time on the clock, I got up and did whatever frantic arm-twirling, hip-shaking thing came to mind. And apparently it worked. When the contest ended, and the bruise on my shin had already started forming, I got announced as winner.

My prize? A baseball signed by Ron Kittle. I got one of those when I was like ten, and I got it from him myself. If I wanted to keep it that badly, I wouldn't have used it for batting practice. Then again, I guess I was only 6 when he was rookie of the year. I might not have the same connection to Scooter as some others.

Once all of this nonsense was over, I could finally go back to my seat and get back to the game. I got a few congratulations from people sitting around me, but mostly just blank stares. And wouldn't you know it, this was the one game the Sox lost in the post-season. I believe it happened because I was unable to give my full attention and the support they need. Fortunately, when I went back for game 2 of the ALCS and paid some serious cash to get to game 2 of the World Series, they didn't fair the same.

All in all, a good time. And one of the many fun memories I have of The Cell. Of course, all of that pales in comparion to winning the whole thing. This season, and especially the post-season, was unbelievable. Dancing on the dugout just made it that much more memorable.

TONY23
11-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Hey Sox Fans, it's been a while (the World Series kept us pretty busy) but I'm back and I need your help. As some of you know, I own the advertising agency that does the White Sox work (and "NO" I can not get you one of those Grinder Rules books, I wish I could but I can't). And as a perk to being the owner, I get to write the Sox ads. Which, I am in the process of doing just that for the 2006 season. And to make my life easier (and the creative more genuine) I would like to hear from you.

I am lookinf for FUNNY Sox related stories. Things that happened to you at a game or getting ready for a game or tailgating at US Cellular. Things that make you laugh everytime you think of them. And a bonus would be that it happened in locations like Fundamentals with your kid or at a great vendor stand or in the parking lot. Great memories of great Sox experiences.

BUT TO SUBMIT A STORY FOR CONSIDERATION YOU HAVE TO AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING:

1. You agree that if we use your story you will NOT recieve ANY FORM of payment (no tickets, moola, or free hot dogs). You will however, get credit by name and POSSIBLY be featured in the commercial (if we use it on TV). I can not guarantee that your face will make it on the big screen, but maybe.

2. You agree that we have the right to edit and ammend your story to fit our needs (remember, TV commercials are :30 seconds long and radio is :60 seconds).

3. You will sign a release form if we use your story.

That's it. I need great, FUNNY, ballpark experience stories that bring the Sox experience to life. And thanks in advance. what your email so we can send the info ?

Soxfan35
11-30-2005, 08:41 PM
I was in the same section, the guy looked like he was trying to impress a couple of women that were with him.

Ya for sure, but I got a free hot dog out of it. The kids were going crazy for those things too.

The Big Squirt
11-30-2005, 09:12 PM
This summer I picked up a couple of tickets off the Ticket Exchange for club level tickets. I wanted to take my grandfather, who is 92, to a Sox game. We went in August when the Sox were playing Detroit and Burhle was on the mound. We showed up an hour and a half early, so the walk in wouldn't be too tough. On the way into the park my gradfather informs me that "the last time I went to a Sox game I came with my Dad"! That had to be in the 30's or 40's. I then hear stories of when he went to college across the street at what used to be Armour Institute and what the neighborhood was like back then. When we get into the club level he looked like a little kid - amazed by the amenities and environment. It was a beautiful night - maybe about 75 degrees - clear and comfortable. I spent the whole night watching him watch the game and the park. Singing "Take me out to the ball game" and losing the pizza race to him was great. Iguchi almost hit for the cycle, Burhle was getting out of tough spots with dp ground balls, and near the end of the game Paulie crushes a HR into left field. Gramps turns to me and says - "A homerun swing is one of the sweetest things to watch in the world. It looks like they hardly swing at all, then you hear the sound of it off the bat, and it is gone - I knew it [was gone] as soon as I saw his swing" We left a little early and watched fireworks night from the parking lot to avoid the crowd. As we walked to the car I said to him "well, when the Sox win the series, we can always say we sawthem play". I called him the night we won the World Series and he told me - "It is great to see a team play baseball the way it is supposed to be played". After we won the World Series all I could think about was how even watching the Sox win the series didn't compare to how great I felt at the end of that one night back in August.
:rolleyes:

Vernam
11-30-2005, 09:15 PM
When the Orioles visited last May, the roaming Kiss Cam showed up at the end of our aisle. I warned my wife I was going to do something silly, so it wouldn't hurt her feelings.

It was Dollar Dog night, and she'd just come back with one for each of us. Sure enough, the camera came on, and I could just catch sight of us out of the corner of my eye on the big centerfield screen. She turned on cue as if to kiss me. I pretended not to notice the cam and instead took a bite of hot dog. I could kind of hear the crowd roar (or groan!) but resisted the urge to look at the screen. So I pretended to be shocked and turned belatedly to kiss her. After we kissed, she "got even" by waving her hand in front of her face, like my breath smelled from the onion-covered dog. It was just a great little moment, and the crowd went wild. I wished I could have seen it on the big screen, but that would have ruined it. :D:

As we were walking out of the stadium after the Sox won, people kept coming up and saying "Awesome job on the Kiss Cam!" I was kind of stunned that we could be recognized after that brief episode.

Later, our season ticket rep -- whose name I won't mention because then everyone would try to get him! -- tracked down a copy of the tape and FedExed it to me. Talk about a prized possession. The Sox customer service is just unequaled for a professional team, in my experience.

EDIT: Actually, it would be very cool for your ad to focus specifically on that customer service. Our same rep called me at 3:30 the day of Game 1 of the World Series to say the Astros had turned in some tickets at the last minute, which gave my father-in-law the chance to see his first and only World Series game. I still can't get over how the Sox would make a call like that to take care of a loyal customer/fan as opposed to some crony. Not to mention some scalper who could've sold the ticket for god-knows-how-much.

Vernam

BV2005
12-01-2005, 01:44 AM
I remember being at a Sox - Cubs game at wrigley, I was of course decked out in all my Sox gear. My girlfriend called me so I stood up and started walking to the concourse area where I could hear her talk. As I was walking over there a bunch of Cubs fans started throwing cups and other types of garbage at me saying that the Sox suck. I got really pissed and started throwing it back at them and saying the Cubs suck, then an usher made me return to my seat.

2006 slogan: So you think Cubs fans are impartial?
or
South Side Baseball = Class

IlliniSox4Life
12-01-2005, 06:15 AM
I go to U of Illinois, and fame 2 of the ALCS was the only game I could get tickets to online that I could make. I decided to invite my dad and 2 brothers to go with me after I got four tickets even though I usually go to games with my friends. I just decided it was something I wanted to share with them.

Well, I have an exam the day before and another big exam the day after of the game. It's something I neglected to tell my dad because I didn't think he would be happy with me coming up for the game and then driving back late at night when I had an exam the next day. So here we are in the bottom of the ninth and Pierzynski strikes out. I immediately start thinking "damn, this could go 16 innings and I have an exam tommorrow, it's already gonna be 2am by the time I get back anyway." Then I start thinking "What just happened? Did he drop that stike?" (I'm in the upper deck and can't see that closely). A little bit of confusion starts to happen, and I pull out my camera and snap some pictures of the Angels on the field arguing. They let Pierzynski stay and we just start jumping up and down and cheering. I turn to my dad and say "There's no way we lose this game now. That doesn't happen in the bottom of the ninth with two outs and you lose the game."

Sure enough, the rest is history. I remember everything so clearly: the pinch runner, the steal, the double, the high fives to everyone in our section, the chants as we left the ballpark, listening to the radio on the drive back, turning on ESPN before I went to bed, and just a general state of realizing that is the probably the best baseball game I will ever see live.

Because of Crede's walk off double, I got back to school in time to get about 5-6 hours of sleep (which would've been probably 3-4 if we went extra innings), and managed to get a pretty good grade on my exam.

DaleJRFan
12-01-2005, 06:43 AM
I think that, by far, the best story from this season was the one Hangar told about the Cubs fan who bought $50 dollars worth of hotdogs for everyone in his section, only to have them rained down upon him after Sox fans turned against him when he revealed the Cubs shirt hidden beneath his jacket... .that was classic.

jabrch
12-01-2005, 07:56 AM
My friends and I sat next to a group of 4 nuns at a game. We were down in the bottom of the 9th. I asked if they know anyone who had some pull... It ends up they did - Paul Konerko PULLED one right down the line for a game winning HR. I've never actually met a nun in person before (being jewish) but I was hugging this group of 4 nuns like you wouldn't believe!!!!!

That's my funniest 2005 White Sox baseball story.

And TwoByFour, if you aren't making any money off this, you negotiated a terrible contract. :D:

Good to see you back around TwoByFour - I was just wondering a few days ago when we'd have our next TwoByFour sighting. Great job this year - I look forward to next year's product.

DaleJRFan
12-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Great job this year - I look forward to next year's product.

Should that be in teal??? :?: I thought they did a bang up job this year...

Iwritecode
12-01-2005, 10:06 AM

It looks like it was an accident. He actually has the /COLOR after the first sentence...

TONY23
12-01-2005, 12:12 PM
How about recapping all the grinder rules and with the best plays and clips of the world series playing the pirates of the carribean song they used on the white sox montage video all the way to the hoisting of the TROPHY, And Ended saying. We want more!!!!!!!! Or Who is the Number one team in The City Now? Mixicans@aol.com

jabrch
12-01-2005, 07:47 PM

Was in a rush to get out of the house this AM. Corrected - thanks.

I think TwoByFour has done a fantastic job. Makes you long for the Rob Gallas days!!!!

WikdChiSoxFan
12-01-2005, 08:24 PM

I saved all my Cub fan friends trash talking emails...

...and then forwarded them all back to them when we won it.

O lord, that was a great day. Not a funny story, but this jut reminded me of that.

lumpyspun
12-01-2005, 10:43 PM
My girlfriend (who has lived in Seattle her whole life and has no connection to the White Sox besides me) looked at me after the world series and said, "you know how we are getting a puppy?" I replied, "yes...." She says, "well, i want to name him Pierzynski." I was absolutley floored and thrilled she didn't want to name it Ichiro. True Story!

Two By Four
12-02-2005, 09:51 AM
what your email so we can send the info ?

Just send me a private message.

Two By Four
12-02-2005, 09:59 AM
And TwoByFour, if you aren't making any money off this, you negotiated a terrible contract. :D:

Hey, we have other very large client$. I get to see lots of baseball, get to interview the players and Ozzie, have season tickets, went to every post season game includuing every away game, and got to see the most under appreciated team in basbeball stun the world. We get compensated plenty. (Of course we do make some money too. I was just responding to the guy who thinks getting ideas from loyal Sox fans is wrong.)

Good to see you back around TwoByFour - I was just wondering a few days ago when we'd have our next TwoByFour sighting. Great job this year - I look forward to next year's product.

Yeah, I was absent for a long while. Works that way when the team heats up I get very busy. Like right now I am doing a Konerko/Thome ad. (Look for it in the paper Sunday and Monday.) So whe I get busy I can't get here as often.

Theanticub
12-02-2005, 01:56 PM
That's what I'm looking for! Stories. Thanks. Don't really need commercial ideas, just real stories.

I'm standing watching Game 2 of the World Series at the Cell (which I never thought I would of had the privlidge to even say), I have cub fans behind me laughing *thank God THEY got tickets* after a blown save opportunity by bobby jenks. Then up comes podsednik. Walk off home-run, and the same cub fans are purposely spilling beer all over me, and I'm hugging every man/woman whoever in sight. Any other time, I would of laid into that cub fan, but this was our time, our year...the start of many great ones.

Rocky Soprano
12-02-2005, 02:15 PM
I remember being at a Sox - Cubs game at wrigley, I was of course decked out in all my Sox gear. My girlfriend called me so I stood up and started walking to the concourse area where I could hear her talk. As I was walking over there a bunch of Cubs fans started throwing cups and other types of garbage at me saying that the Sox suck. I got really pissed and started throwing it back at them and saying the Cubs suck, then an usher made me return to my seat.

2006 slogan: So you think Cubs fans are impartial?
or
South Side Baseball = Class

:rolleyes:

What a great story!

crazyozzie02
12-02-2005, 05:10 PM
I had a foul ball hit me in the goods this season down the left field line.
Pods thought it was funny. Myself, not so much.. i was actually trying to get in front of my wife so she wouldnt get smacked with it.

The security guys thought it was pretty funny. They got me some ice. Like I'm dropping my shorts to ice the area...

Bad thing was i didnt even get the ball. Some goof in a Detroit hat 3 rows back came running down and snagged it from under my seat.

The security guys gave me a ball later for the effort.

This has to be a T.V. commerical hands down!!!! AND YOU HAVE TO GET PODS IN THERE LAUGHING!!!!
:D:

24thStFan
12-02-2005, 05:27 PM
This is not a funny story, but I smile every time I think of it.

It was the Monday before the World Series, and I am sitting at home in Florida reading about the Sox going to the World Series in the local paper. Since I was born and raised on the South Side, Im complaining to my wife (also a South Sider) about how disappointed I am because were not in Chicago to see the Sox in the Series. You know, it has always been a dream of mine to see the Sox play in a World Series, I say. She says, Well, at least well be able to see all the games on TV.

Right then the phone rings and its my brother. I got you a ticket to game one. Come home, youre going to the World Series, he says. The next thing I know, Bobby Jenks gets the last out in the 9th and Im hugging my brother saying, Bro, youre the best!

My dream came true--thanks to the greatest brother in the world. Im smiling now thinking about this story. :D:

The Wall
12-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Old one...my first game, I asked my host..."what is a home run shape like?" just before Ray Durham was about to lead off for the Sox in the bottom of the 1st vs Cleveland. Durham hit the first pitch to right field bleachers.
My host said, "see...home runs...<pause to look at the swing by Ray> is...<pause to see the ball fly out of the yard> like that!!!".

delben91
12-02-2005, 10:33 PM
And wouldn't you know it, this was the one game the Sox lost in the post-season. I believe it happened because I was unable to give my full attention and the support they need. Fortunately, when I went back for game 2 of the ALCS and paid some serious cash to get to game 2 of the World Series, they didn't fair the same.

Not to hijack, but I flew out for this game, and I DEFINITELY remember the dance contest.

It was a nice effort. Really. :cool:

WikdChiSoxFan
12-02-2005, 11:16 PM
The only story I have that has marketing value as I was sober and not being stupid.

Of my group of regular friends, I am the loudest cheerer. It's something I've prided myself on. I've been the leader for the vocal cheers. (Nick handles the clapping. He's magical with those rythms.) I've had a few hits, my own personal group cheers that my friends and I do. (The Carl Everett Cheer, The Tadahito Cheer, Rattle Rattle I Hear Cattle, No Dinosaurs Dance, Timo Time) And I always make sure to participate in the overall stadium cheers at the loudest I can be. (Paul-ieee, NaNa Hey Hey, etc.) So, it's become well known amongst my group of friends that they need to prepare in order to go to games with me, as I demand performance. We're Grinder Fans. Loud, Clever, Fun, and Determined to help the team win. Anyway, on one particular evening, we had a group of about seven or eight, of which we had a few newbies. My buddy Jon goes through the pre-game disclaimer with all his "he's loud" and "you better or else" with the new ones.

Anyway, we get to the game, and I make friends with the people around us, take note of the small children, the senior citizens, etc...in order to locate myself for optimum loudness with minimum evil looks. I make friends with the other young guys around...providing them warning, "you better be ready, I expect 110% today, etc." I recruited another 6 guys to partake in my pride.

We lost the game, and it was a game that never looked like we were in. But I started out strong. Our group functioned well, got the logistics of the Carl Everett Cheer down in the first. I was all over the No Dinosaur Dance. (Tadahito had the night off which took a big gun out of the rotation.)

But I got owned.

About six or seven rows in front of me, there was a middle-aged hispanic man. I don't think he spoke a lot of English and I had reason to believe that this was the first game his family had been to. I'm not sure if he knew entirely what was going on on the field and he didn't seem to be accustomed to the regular stadium cheers. But sure enough, my friend turns to me in about the fifth inning and say, "Dude, you're getting showed up." And there was nothing I could do about it. I countered with various clapping cheers and spelling cheers, unleashing the full arsenal, but they were no match. All he had to do was say "yeah." His patented cheer, dubbed the "yeah" cheer will forever have a place in the best cheers of all time. He understood his language barrier and realized "Yeah" was something we could all get around. He had no initial support as he was with his family, certainly no match for the college crowd I was with. But he would stand up, and make a motion to the left with his right hand swinging across his body and let our a forceful "Yeah." Then turn to the right with his left hand, "Yeah." Then back to the left, with another "yeah" and soon the sections around were getting into it. He repeated and got faster and faster, and his crazy motion turned into a whirlwind of energy. I could only stand back and "yeah" as loud as I could.

The man was amazing, and my team "yeah"-ed all night, not leaving until the last pitch along with my new idol. A lot of people had left early, we were getting blown out, but that man stayed and "yeah"-ed at the first glimpse of a comeback. Sadly, no comeback came, but he will forever be a great memory at the park.

I went back to my place and started training harder and faster, to make sure that I would be ready for our next meeting.

gaelhound
12-03-2005, 12:43 PM

Sounds like tryin' to die!

gaelhound
12-03-2005, 12:46 PM
My 11-year-old son and I were at Game 2 of the World Series. In the top of the 7th we left our lower deck seats to stand on the 1st base concourse to get out of the rain. When the Sox loaded the bases in the bottom of the inning everyone began to crowd the aisles to watch the Konerko at bat. I held my son as he stood on the railing behind the disabled seating section so he could see. The only thing I saw, because of the fans crowding the aisles, was PK at the plate. I saw the swing, the crowd erupted, and before I could react, my son jumped into my arms screaming, He did it, Dad, he did it!

I dont know if you can use that, but aside from the day my son was born it was the best moment of my life. Ill never forget it!
Excuse me I have to find a kleenex

Gosox1917
12-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Excuse me I have to find a kleenex

I had the same reaction to that story.

My little story takes place during batting practice during a game against the Blue Jays in '04. I was in the bleachers , about 5 rows up, hoping to catch a few homerun balls when a ball was crushed over my head. I hit the top of the bleacher, caromed off the top of it, and shot straight back hitting a girl right in the face. Her boyfriend looked at her in shock, simply asking "Are you okay?" Well, I think it hit her cheek and ushers or whoever were there almost immediately to help her. Then, as I'm watching all this unfold, I have my back to the field and suddenly hear a loud "CLANG!!!" as a ball lands in my row about 10 feet to my left. Sadly for me, having never gotten a ball even in BP, a bunch of kids ran to it before I got the chance to.

In another story, at the half way St. Patty's day game a bunch of frat boys started to try to start the wave. None of the real Sox fans wanted to participate as we we're focused on the tied game in the 8th inning. They yelled "What are you guys, Cubs fans!?" Then most of us yelled, "No, are you? Sit down and watch the game then!"

All my other stories involve jumping around with friends after a Sox walk-off, high fiving strangers, things that I do at most every game.