PDA

View Full Version : Famous Sox Fans. Were they de-emphasized during Championship Run?

Hangar18
11-29-2005, 10:49 AM
I was reading a recent blurb on the SOX improbably championship run on Yahoo Sports, and was taken aback by a comment in the piece. The comment was something like "though the SOX arent as beloved" as some other teams etc etc.
I got to thinking wait a second. There were tons of SOX fans who made the road trips and were vocal and many in number. My best friend was lucky enough to see Game 4 in Houston, and said he was pleasantly surprised by the several thousand SOX fans at Minute Maid.

During the game, you could hear the loud cheers ............ surprisingly deafening, even with FOX turning down the crowd mikes and keeping the cameras turned away from them. Was it me, or were people like George Wendt and Dennis DeYoung completely ignored during our run? I only remember seeing an interview, with of all people, Bernie Mac on a local tv station, and it was impromptu, BMac having just happened to be nearby.

Were there other interviews that we may have missed?

antitwins13
11-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Sorry Hanger. I guess most Sox fans just don't care about celebs.

Jerko
11-29-2005, 11:05 AM
I think antitwins is right. I like most of the celebrities who are "involved" with the Sox, but during the playoffs I just didn't care about what they thought, I just wanted the Sox to win.

buehrle4cy05
11-29-2005, 11:29 AM
I could care less about how many celebrities were at or watched our games. We won. That's all that matters.

miker
11-29-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm always been a huge fan of his Media Watch, but lately it seems Hangar is really getting paranoid.

Buddy, its okay...we won!

Baby Fisk
11-29-2005, 12:37 PM
Baseball is not a popularity contest.

jdm2662
11-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Read my signature as to all that matters. Who cares about some "famous" fans. The great Al Davis has the best quote in the history of sports. If only everyone else would abide to it.

Palehose13
11-29-2005, 12:56 PM
Hangar-

The White Sox aren't as beloved as other teams and that is fine with me. Do you want to be like the cubs/red sox/ yankees? They won it all. They have nothing to prove. I could give a rat's ass over who loves us, who doesn't, etc. There is only one thing to say: 2005 World Series Champions. **** 'em if they don't like it.

SOXPHILE
11-29-2005, 01:25 PM
:woo-woo

"WOO ! Hey, I tried ! I was there ! But you Sox fans wouldn't stop with the hatin' ! WOO !"

kittle42
11-29-2005, 01:45 PM
I have said this several times before and I'll say it again - who give two craps what celebrities are Sox fans, or fans of any team for that matter. These are almost as bad as attendance threads sometimes. You know what I think of who's a Sox fan - I don't care. I am a Sox fan and my team just won the freakin' World Series. That's good enough for me!

Plus, ignoring George Wendt and Dennis Deyoung? This is what you're complaining about? The rest of the world has been ignoring them for years.

Say, I wonder what team the youngest son from Alf is a fan of? Someone find out!

Jerko
11-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Read my signature as to all that matters. Who cares about some "famous" fans. The great Al Davis has the best quote in the history of sports. If only everyone else would abide to it.

As a Raiders fan, I wish Al Davis' team would still abide to it. :o:

MsSoxVixen22
11-29-2005, 01:51 PM
:whocares

itsnotrequired
11-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Say, I wonder what team the youngest son from Alf is a fan of? Someone find out!

:roflmao:

kevin57
11-29-2005, 10:20 PM
The fact that we do or don't have a celebrity following, or that it does or doesn't get media coverage doesn't faze me one bit.

The fact that the media doesn't investigate or understand Sox "fandom" (I hate that word but am at a loss for something better.) is annoying. Not because it makes any difference to me, but it shows just how lazy, stupid, etc. sports media types are.

Norberto7
11-29-2005, 11:54 PM
Was it me, or were people like Dennis DeYoung completely ignored during our run?

No, it wasn't you. They were completely ignored.

:roflmao:

NWSox
11-29-2005, 11:57 PM
Every time people talk about celebrity Sox fans, I'm not sure who to trust. Where were these celebrities a few years ago? I just don't believe most of these celebrities are real Sox fans. And as people have already posted, who needs them?

Gavin
11-30-2005, 12:15 AM
:whocares: