PDA

View Full Version : Sox vs Cubs

RichH55
12-19-2001, 02:10 AM
I usually do this back home, so thought I would look it over here. Combine the teams and see who would play

1B - Mcgriff vs Konerko/Thomas - Well Mcgriff was a nice get for the Cubs, but I'd still take either of the Sox combo over him

2nd- Delino Deshields vs Durham- Delino Deshields? Why even bother, I'll take Durham in a second

SS- Alex Gonzalez vs Manos - Well Gonzo has him on the glove, but dear lord their bats are on different planets...Manos

3B- Mueller vs Crede - Crede hasn't proven anything at this level, though he is probably better with the glove....Mueller would probably take this either way, but he is a real solid ballplayer who you can bat 2nd or later on it the lineup and he's relatively cheap...I hate to say it but he is exactly the type of player you want :Mueller

RF Patterson vs Mags - Dodging the issue? Maybe, but you want to get your best guys out there...Mags is the clear winner here and gets to keep RF

CF- Singleton/Rowand vs Sosa - The flubs almost made the playoffs with that roster and that pitching staff..dear lord...Sosa is a helluva hitter

LF-Alou vs. Lee- Damn...Alou is another solid pick-up and a better bet to be both more productive and less injury prone than White...Still I think Carlos is going to have a 30 HR .305 100+RBI year, so its a toss-up

C- Alomar/Johnson vs. Giradi/trash - Two teams not a catcher you wouldn't be furiously trying to upgrade from if you were a GM..unreal...whoever you want here it doesn't matter

I won't do pitchers today as I must go, but this competition, while still in the Sox favor is closer than last year....c'est la vie....Cubs still arent doing anything...though when I heard Rolen's name being out there he made absolutely perfect sense for them, but he costs money:) So we are in the clear there

MattSharp
12-19-2001, 02:21 AM
Man you are a posting machine....

Heres mine:

1B McGriff vs. Konerko: McGriff is way past his prime and Pauly is the shiiit.

2B DeShields vs. Durham: Neither of them has an average, but Desheilds ain't what he used to be.

3B Mueller vs. Crede: Crede is unproven, Mueller has a decent bat

SS Valentin vs. Gonzalez: AGon never became as good as ARod like some thought was possible, Hose can hit with power as good as most SS's in MLB

LF Alou vs. Lee: Alou is coming off injuries as usual, CLee is good, but still has a way to go. I would take Alou for immediate benefits.

CF Patterson vs. Rowand/Singleton: If Patterson becomes the player they think he is, I would have to take him over these two pretty quick, but even though hes unproven I would still take him.

RF Sosa vs. Mags: You can't dodge this issue, and as much as it pains me to say, Sosa has been a complete hitter as of late. In the long run I obviously go with Mags, but Sosa would surely start over him.

C - Not worth typing....

If I had to, I would move Sosa to CF, and Lee to 3B. My lineup would be unstoppable:

2B Durham
3B CLee
DH Thomas
CF Sosa
RF Mags
LF Alou
1B Konerko
C ???
SS Valentin

That's a pretty kick ass team.....

RichH55
12-19-2001, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp

Heres mine:

2B DeShields vs. Durham: Neither of them has an average, but Desheilds ain't what he used to be.

SS Valentin vs. Gonzalez: AGon never became as good as ARod like some thought was possible, Hose can hit with power as good as most SS's in MLB

LF Alou vs. Lee: Alou is coming off injuries as usual, CLee is good, but still has a way to go. I would take Alou for immediate benefits.

CF Patterson vs. Rowand/Singleton: If Patterson becomes the player they think he is, I would have to take him over these two pretty quick, but even though hes unproven I would still take him.

RF Sosa vs. Mags: You can't dodge this issue, and as much as it pains me to say, Sosa has been a complete hitter as of late. In the long run I obviously go with Mags, but Sosa would surely start over him.

C - Not worth typing....

If I had to, I would move Sosa to CF, and Lee to 3B. My lineup would be unstoppable:

2B Durham
3B CLee
DH Thomas
CF Sosa
RF Mags
LF Alou
1B Konerko
C ???
SS Valentin

It aint bad is it:) But i Dont think moving Carlos to 3rd is all that viable, so I think whoever loses out in LF gets dealt for catching help and Jose can bat 2nd or before the C, Mueller is a guy you can move around the line-up as well

RedPinStripes
12-19-2001, 03:16 AM
Damn rich. You are a machine. You'll be neck and neck with Jerry Manuel in no time. :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
12-19-2001, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Damn rich. You are a machine. You'll be neck and neck with Jerry Manuel in no time. :smile:

Let's not get carried away here Stripes.

RichH55
12-19-2001, 07:54 AM
Hey more posts per day Jerry:) Just because you got a jump on me like Lance Johnson on a stolen base doesn't mean you have me beat...but I guess the first step in this battle is for me to get a personality, eh

:gulp:

bjmarte
12-19-2001, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
...but I guess the first step in this battle is for me to get a personality, eh

:gulp:

:chimp
"I have the same problem"

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

ode to veeck
12-19-2001, 03:29 PM
ss: unfortunately its not fair to compare Manos at this position, because the frigging sox powers that be (screwed up) deem him to play somewhere (and everywhere) else---yes, nice comparison, but he won't get the chance, unless there's some cruel new rendition of the ghosts of xmas past, present, and future visiting upon KW on Christmas Even ... hey might be a good holiday thread to fill in the dialog on ...

CerberusWG
12-19-2001, 04:04 PM
Too bad the Flubs pullben looks like the Rangers starting staff. Gordon is injury prone, they have a plethora of rookies, Farnsworth has been only good for one year. Sox bull pen is a bunch of veterans, well most of them. Flubs SP looks decent.

Wood- I can walk everyone too!
Lieber-Solid
Sanchez-Guy is 5 foot something and has decent stuff
Bere-Fluuuuuuuuuuuuuke
Cruz-I still dont why this guy had a 4 ERA at AA. Major league hitters must not have caught up to hm yet.

Sox OTOH...

Buehrle-Ownage
Parque-If he can have an ERA around 4 that'd be nice
Ritchie-Eats Innings
Garland-Improved over his last half dozen starts.
Glover/Wright/Biddle-I'd go with Glover. That guy has one nasty ass curve. If Biddle can ever get his stuff straight, look out. That guy has some stuff that amazes me.

Infield-Sox Hands down
Outfield-Cubs have a nice OF going, even though the next Willie mays couldn't hit a beachball in slow motion.

Catcher-Sox

So lets wrap it up!

Bullpen-Sox
SP-Even
IF-Sox
OF-Flubs
C-Sox

danman31
12-19-2001, 05:31 PM
1B-Mcgriff vs. Konerko/Thomas- Big hurt is the better one, by far.

2nd-Delino Deshields vs. Durham- Durham is just plain better. Deshields isn't good at all.

SS-Alex Gonzalez vs. Manos- Glove to AGon, bat to Jose. So I'll say draw.

3B-Mueller vs. Crede- Crede is unproven and even though I hate to admit it Mueller is solid. Crede could be better in the future, but that's not this year. I give it to Mueller

RF-Sosa vs Mags- Well it's hard to say this, but Sosa would be better. He would piss me off with all his Ks if he were on the Sox though. Slight edge to Sosa :(:

CF-Patterson vs Singleton/Rowand- Top prospect my ass! Patterson is truely awful. Rowand is better. Singleton... If you average out Rowand and Singleton they are better than Patterson. It goes to them.

LF-Alou vs. Lee- Lee is good, but yet another close one in the OF. I go with Alou though.

C-They all suck so it doesn't matter.

So to recap: 1B:Frank 2B:Durham SS:Draw 3B:Mueller RF:Sosa CF:Sox guys LF:Alou C:Draw. 3 Sox wins, 3 Cubs wins, 2 draws.

FarmerAndy
12-19-2001, 06:00 PM
[
2B Durham
3B CLee
DH Thomas
CF Sosa
RF Mags
LF Alou
1B Konerko
C ???
SS Valentin

That's a pretty kick ass team..... [/B]

That would be a kick ass team, until the other team was
up to bat. On the defensive end of things, it would be a
"gettin' their ass kicked" team.

Jerry_Manuel
12-19-2001, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

Post of the week material!

Nellie_Fox
12-20-2001, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Thank you Farmer. I thought I was going to have to go on one of my "defense and pitching win championships" rants. That lineup is absolutely frightening defensively.

RedPinStripes
12-20-2001, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Let's not get carried away here Stripes.

LOL. I'm sure there are some people that can't wait till you go on vacation so they can gain some ground on you.

Bmr31
12-20-2001, 04:17 AM

Heres mine:

C - Not worth typing....

2B Durham
3B CLee
DH Thomas
CF Sosa
RF Mags
LF Alou
1B Konerko
C ???
SS Valentin

ouch that team is awful defensively! your team wouldnt go very far in the playoffs...

Bmr31
12-20-2001, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31

ouch that team is awful defensively! your team wouldnt go very far in the playoffs...

ooops someone already covered this. My bad.... :gulp:

RedPinStripes
12-20-2001, 05:00 AM
Piss on the Cubs!