PDA

View Full Version : Rest easy

MERPER
11-29-2005, 01:18 AM
I think Konerko will be back... Angels want to dump Finley, move Erstad to CF and Konerko to 1B... but, who in their right mind is going to take on Finley's contract after the season he just had?

I think the more likely scenario is the Angels acquiring Manny as David Ortiz has already said Manny will not return and he wants to go to the west coast...

So, of the Konerko suitors who is left?

RED SOX= added Lowell and Beckett's contract
YANKEES= gave Matsui absurd money
ANGELS= likely gonna get Manny since won't be able to move Finley
METS= added Delgado and Wagner

This leaves the Diamondbacks and Dodgers as other potentials, but would Pauly really leave Chicago and this oranization to go to teams in the process of rebuilding?

On a side note, if the Angels somehow land Konerko by moving Finley.... is it at all possible that KW pulls the complete shocker and by moving Thome to 1B, pulls off an absurd trade for Manny thus reuiniting former Indians teammates as the Sox go for back-to-back titles?

TheOldRoman
11-29-2005, 01:26 AM
Manny Ramirez is not a KW type player. Williams said as much himself.
Besides that, I don't think we could even consider bringing in Manny unless the Red Sox are willing to pick up half of his contract. No chance it happens.

soxwon
11-29-2005, 07:27 AM
Thome vows to get PK back, ill take his word.

Deuce
11-29-2005, 07:48 AM
It's going to come down to whether Konerko and his family want to stay with the Sox. The offers being reported are consistent with what the Sox were suggesting, so money doesn't look to be a problem. Then again, if a bidding war begins between the Angels and the O's, I don't think the Sox will hang on for long.

Konerko is reportedly meeting with the Angels this week. We'll know soon enough what will become of it.

kevin57
11-29-2005, 07:57 AM
The Trib reported this morning what many have already suggested: 4 years/$50M is what's on the table, but the O's may go to 5 years and mega-mega mills. If that happens, we're in trouble.

Hitmen77
11-29-2005, 08:37 AM
The Trib reported this morning what many have already suggested: 4 years/$50M is what's on the table, but the O's may go to 5 years and mega-mega mills. If that happens, we're in trouble.

The two things going against the O's is that 1) they have not been a winning organization and 2) their spring training is not in PK's home state (Arizona).

The O's are like the Mets - they always give players huge amounts of money and then end up with a medicore team.

ChiSoxGirl
11-29-2005, 08:40 AM
From Fred Mitchell's column on ChicagoSports.com this morning,

White Sox free-agent slugger Paul Konerko has spoken a couple of times by phone to his high school coach, Jerry Dawson, since the World Series ended.

"I know that he loves Chicago and he loves the people," Dawson said Monday from Scottsdale, Ariz. "All things being equal, or close to equal, I know that he would prefer to stay in Chicago."

Dawson said he has not specifically brought up the topic of Konerko's free-agent options—"I would never do that." But he knows "Paul will make a smart decision. He is not your normal athlete."

Let's hope all this rings true and Konerko's able to give Sox fans something else to celebrate this holiday season!

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-29-2005, 09:14 AM
The two things going against the O's is that 1) they have not been a winning organization and 2) their spring training is not in PK's home state (Arizona).

The O's are like the Mets - they always give players huge amounts of money and then end up with a medicore team.

You mean, Sosa didn't hit HOF #'s by going there?

I really believe Paulie will go where there's the best chance to win again. If it's all about money, then not only do we lose Paulie, but the sport is doomed. JD took less $$ to come here, so did AJ....and they won a WS because of it. Thome's gonna be a HUGE swing factor for us, I truly hope.

Ol' No. 2
11-29-2005, 09:21 AM
The Trib reported this morning what many have already suggested: 4 years/$50M is what's on the table, but the O's may go to 5 years and mega-mega mills. If that happens, we're in trouble.The rumored offer from the Orioles is the same amount per year but 5 years instead of 4. I expect the final contract he signs will be for $12-13M/yr. I've believed from the beginning that the deciding factor will be years, not dollars/year. If the Sox offered 5yr/$60M, I'd bet he'd sign tomorrow.

Flight #24
11-29-2005, 09:35 AM
The rumored offer from the Orioles is the same amount per year but 5 years instead of 4. I expect the final contract he signs will be for $12-13M/yr. I've believed from the beginning that the deciding factor will be years, not dollars/year. If the Sox offered 5yr/$60M, I'd bet he'd sign tomorrow.

Boston Globe seems to think there are 5-yr offers from O's, Angels, & Sox already, and other reports had the Sox willing to go to 5 yrs if the market was bearing that. If true, hard to imagine they won't be able to retain him unless he's really not that interested in staying in the first place.

IronFisk
11-29-2005, 12:50 PM
I really hope this comes down to intangibles, which are HEAVILY in our favor:

Playing on a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP caliber team
Loves the fans & city
Fans & city love him
Excellent clubhouse chemistry
The opportunity to be treated like a king all of next year in front of adoring fans - where anywhere else he goes he'll be under a media microscope.
To firmly cement his name as a Chicago sports icon.
I think these will be the key factors in the final wash - even if another team finds an extra few million in their couch to throw at him. Money does NOT equal happiness (but it sure helps! :redneck)

Lip Man 1
11-29-2005, 12:59 PM
The L.A. Times reported this morning the Angels have offered five years, sixty million to Paul.

Lip

Hitmen77
11-29-2005, 01:17 PM

Loves the fans & city
Fans & city love him
The opportunity to be treated like a king all of next year in front of adoring fans - where anywhere else he goes he'll be under a media microscope.
I think these will be the key factors in the final wash - even if another team finds an extra few million in their couch to throw at him. Money does NOT equal happiness (but it sure helps! :redneck)

Don't forget potential for endorsement money by staying in Chicago. I just don't imagine him being able to land as many endorsements in LA since he didn't help them win a WS and he wouldn't standout as a sports celebrity in LA.

Deuce
11-29-2005, 01:23 PM
The L.A. Times reported this morning the Angels have offered five years, sixty million to Paul.

LipNow we get to see how much he'd like to stay with the Sox. I highly doubt that KW will match that offer.

Flight #24
11-29-2005, 01:31 PM

Loves the fans & city
Fans & city love him

Both Anaheim and Chicago are top-level WS contenders with Konerko. Anaheim generally has a higher payroll. A big intangible for LAA would be proximity to home and IIRC he lives about 5 min from where they have ST.

chisox
11-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Now we get to see how much he'd like to stay with the Sox. I highly doubt that KW will match that offer.

man, i really hope paulie stays.

IronFisk
11-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Both Anaheim and Chicago are top-level WS contenders with Konerko. Anaheim generally has a higher payroll. A big intangible for LAA would be proximity to home and IIRC he lives about 5 min from where they have ST.

Yes, that's true, but Anaheim/LA/California/Disney have a pathetically fickle fan base. Yeah they show up, but do they even know where they are :rolleyes:

Okay, not the strongest factor, but he would be nothing short of a SPORTS ICON here if he returns.

IronFisk
11-29-2005, 01:55 PM
Don't forget potential for endorsement money by staying in Chicago. I just don't imagine him being able to land as many endorsements in LA since he didn't help them win a WS and he wouldn't standout as a sports celebrity in LA.

Great point, but not an "intangible" factor - that's something you can mea$ure.

tebman
11-29-2005, 02:11 PM
I hope Konerko comes back too, but I'm bracing myself. I'm either going to be excited about his re-signing, or I'm going to bummed big time if he ends up in Anaheim. Either way I need to be braced.

None of us know what's going on in those discussions or what Konerko really wants. Maybe his family is pressuring him to do one thing or another, or maybe he believes now is the right time for a change of scenery, or maybe he knew that in order to get the best deal from the Sox he had to go through the FA victory lap. None of us knows, and that's what makes us crazy.

I think too he'd have the best situation, personally and professionally, if he stayed here. But he never called to ask my opinion. :tongue: