PDA

View Full Version : Purists?

RichH55
12-19-2001, 12:05 AM
Well I'm just trying to guage who everyone is out there....I myself am a big fan of interleague play(Sox-Cubs is fun every year no matter what), I like the wildcard as well(Still not a gimme playoff system like the NBA), though I do miss Double-Headers...I thought when they did the subway series two park double header that was actually rather impressive and was what baseball is supposed to be like.

I also would like a tag with Don Zimmer(and Whitey Herzog in the same pic if posible) :oldschool

Kind of curious to see where everyone stands....I also would like to see ballparks have actual dimensions...none of this 315 down the line crap...Saw Coamerica and that 420 to Center was actually a real classy touch(way out of place in Detroit)

Dadawg_77
12-19-2001, 12:13 AM
Inter-league is fun but lets play different teams already.

The wild card keeps more teams in the race and in the era of big money it allows teams with lower payrolls to stay around longer then before. Plus teams are a little less likly to have august or july sell offs since they might be in the wild card race.

I am not asking for Polo Grounds but a bigger parks would be better, homers are cheap. McGwire is a great slugger, but what he did is cheapen by new parks and such.

Double headers are fun sometimes way to much time spent at the park. 9 hours at the ball park is puching it tab bit. Which leads me to my next point, games take to long today. MBL needs to figure out how to speed up the game without hurting the game. 4 hours a game is way to much, they should be played between 2:30 and 3 hours. Long Games is biggest game related problem baseball has today.

WinningUgly!
12-19-2001, 12:45 AM
McGwire is a great slugger, but what he did is cheapen by new parks and such.

If anything "cheapens" what Mark McGwire did during his career, it's the wattered down pitching. The guy flat out crushed the ball! The smaller park sizes did very little to pad his HR numbers. Now Samme & that little basket at Wrigley...that's another story!

GASHWOUND
12-19-2001, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Well I'm just trying to guage who everyone is out there....I myself am a big fan of interleague play(Sox-Cubs is fun every year no matter what), I like the wildcard as well(Still not a gimme playoff system like the NBA), though I do miss Double-Headers...I thought when they did the subway series two park double header that was actually rather impressive and was what baseball is supposed to be like.

I also would like a tag with Don Zimmer(and Whitey Herzog in the same pic if posible) :oldschool

Kind of curious to see where everyone stands....I also would like to see ballparks have actual dimensions...none of this 315 down the line crap...Saw Coamerica and that 420 to Center was actually a real classy touch(way out of place in Detroit)

You're a posting machine aren't you? :smile:

Interleague is great, but need to play different teams. The Sox/Cub series is great. I love smack talking the Flubs(and off subject for a sec, Tommy Williams here on the Score just said that if the Cubs get Moises Alou, they wil be World Series Contenders! WORLD SERIES CONTENDERS?!?!?!? Good grief! He's need to get off the crack pipe and get real! He says he's a Pirates fan, but he bleeds Cubby piss, no doubt about it)
Oh, back to the subject..Wild Card is good for the game. Keeps fans and teams interested. Seattle was running away with the division, imagine if their wasn't any wC, Oak wold have nothing to play for. So it IS good.

And these parks with their cookie cutter looks suck. I like a park to have some nook and crannies to them. It gives it personality. The Giants home park rocks. Thats a cool lookin place.

RichH55
12-19-2001, 12:55 AM
Hey I try:) The newer parks are hit or miss....everyone trying to be Camden Yards....San Fran is nice and hitting a Homer into the Bay is a nice touch, I like Enron but you can make a park with real dimensions...geez. Got to see Comerica and Miller Park....Definately not without their charm, but nothing all that special....Was it just my imagination or does Bernie the Brewer not slide down on Homeruns anymore? Just could be my mind wondering aimlessly like usual

MattSharp
12-19-2001, 01:12 AM
Lots to talk about.

-I am from the South Side, but I go to school in Milwaukee, I went to a Brewers game earlier this year and he did slide down the slide.

-I love inter-league play, but I agree that it needs to be some diff teams, but keep the rivalries eevery year (Sox/Cubs, Yanks/Mets, etc...)

-Double Headers are no good anymore because it's so expensive. I mean you figure 9 hours is a hell of a long time, plus all that food and ****. My dad and I went to a Sox double header two years ago. It was a frickin hot day and we tried to buy as little as possible but we got so hot I think between the two of us we spent $30-$35 on beverages alone. Think of a family of four for a DH.

-I love the Wild Card it makes the playoffs much more exciting.

-I don't have too big of beef with ballparks because thats what fans want is a lot of homers and runs, and you have to give them what they want.

-I think that baseball needs better revnue sharing and maybe even a salary cap. It's really unfair how teams like the Yanks have an unlimited amount of money and can have a totally dominant team. Players are way to greedy, but I don't want to go there.